Menu

If you're only homeschooling one child.

How do you fill in your day?

I left my job to be able to homeschool my 5th grader this year, so I'm not used to having this free time, and neither is he. I feel like we're doing enough schoolwork (but feel free to tell me if we're not!). I'm having him do about an hour of "homework" in the evenings while his brothers are doing theirs, so we're finishing most of his other work by lunch time. We have several hours of downtime before I have to pick the other boys up from school at 3:30. Filling that in with Law and Order reruns and unnecessary errands isn't going to be productive in the long run, but I don't want to pile schoolwork on and neither of us are hobbyists. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Mary Ellen

I'm also homeschooling a 5th grader while older is in ps. We go to the YMCA almost every day. Some days we also hit the local park, take the dog for a long walk, go to the zoo, or run errands. My 5th grader likes artsy stuff so she'll do a lot of art projects with paint, clay, felt, etc. I'll get caught up on housework, read, or just enjoy the quiet while she plays.

Honestly, though, just adding in the Y has made a big difference. She's old enough to get on the machines next to me, so we work out for an hour almost every day (that's her PE). It's about a 20 min. drive, so after driving, working out, taking showers, and lunch there's not too much extra time.

What's he interested in? Can you fill that time learning a handicraft or skill that he'd like? Play an instrument, write a play, build something? Can he do some service activities? Walk a neighbor's dog, help with lawn care, plant a garden, read to old folks at the nursing home? There's tons of stuff he can do that's not "school" but will help him build character and learn some valuable skills.

Guitar lessons, guitar practice, swimming lessons, nature walks, bike rides, cooking/baking lessons, AWANA (though, that is in the evening), soccer practice 2x a week (basketball in the winter, more soccer in the spring), Co-op, grocery store, field trips every 2 to 3 weeks... occasional appointments; doctor, dentist, chiropractor, etc.

Then there is always house cleaning, laundry, dinner prep....

And DS is only in 3rd grade!

LOL, I can't imagine having free time that I need to fill in! I'm not even counting in time on here, Facebook, and digital scrapbooking!!

As a matter of fact, I would say, just cherish the heck outta that free time... if not for yourself, do it for me!! ;)

1. I plan my own curricula, and researching and sourcing inexpensive items is a task on a constant simmer year-round.

2. I'm actively involved in my son's schoolwork, even now that he's doing high school. We currently have two books we're reading aloud over breakfast and lunch, and I'm his partner for science labs. I'm learning foreign language alongside him, since he chose one I don't know. And, of course, I'm grading and on hand for any questions or help he might need.

3. I cook and bake and do laundry and assorted other household tasks. (Notice the absence of the word "clean." I mean, I do clean, but I don't want to give a false impression, here.)

4. I'm involved with my kids activities and extracurriculars. I've spent countless hours runnning lines with kids, helping them select songs and monologues for auditions, taking headshots, maintaining and printing resumes, helping assemble costumes, selling tickets and refreshments, researching and ordering dance shoes, etc. I'd be afraid to total up the number of weekends I've spent supervising backstage, too. I do assorted jobs for their choir(s), make food for post-concert receptions, help launder and maintain choir robes, sell CDs and help in the kitchen during events.

(I should probably mention that, although I'm schooling just my son, my daughter is still home and not driving yet.)

5. I drive said kids to said activities. Today, I was in the car from 2:20 until 8:00 (with a stop on the Panera patio for an hour with my son) driving my daughter to one dance school and my son to another, picking up my daughter from her dance school and bringing her the 15 miles back to town to go to an audition at one theatre, then 10 minutes away to a dress rehearsal at another, picking up my son during a lull. She works the front desk at the dance school four days a week (with occasional Saturdays, too) and takes three or four classes during the evening. She also has a weekly voice lesson and however many auditions, performances and rehearsals are scheduled for shows. My son has three regular dance classes a week, plus occasional extra rehearsals and performances (He's on the competition tap team.), one regular choir rehearsal each week plus a couple of extra rehearsals and/or performances each month, one play rehearsal per week, co-op three times a month, two or three volunteer shifts per month at the science museum and one or two meetings a month of the volunteer group associated with a local youth theatre. He also does youth group at our church, but he walks to that.

My husband took over the driving for two days last week while I was in the hospital and needed three days to rest and recover.

6. I've started a blog giving tips on assembling your own curriculum on the cheap. I hope to compile the information into a book at some point in the future.

7. I walk with, love on and play with my dog.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

Park days with homeschooling groups - maybe more than one group so you have variety.

Homeschool roller skating, ice skating, dance classes, karate, bowling, ski trips.

Museum visits with other homeschooling families. Schedule a docent-led visit or get a membership and go with a friend.

Plays, dance performances, concerts - find out where the school field trips are and talk to the venues about tickets for homeschoolers.

Nature centers - grab another family or two and book a field trip.

DIY projects - put on a play! make a movie! build a trebuchet!

Service opportunities.

Play dates.

Clubs! Lego club. Book club.

Scouts, 4H.

Find local homeschoolers and figure out what they're up to and tag along. You'll soon find like-minded families with compatible kids. This afternoon is the real meat of homeschooling.

Music and foreign language. An hour taken up daily with practice time for 2 different instruments and another 4 hours a week in lessons (Oi!)

Library trips. Tomorrow's field trip to a mid-day concert. Working out at the gym. Gosh, I'm tired just writing it all down!

Wow! I guess I'm the only one with this problem! :001_smile: Thanks so much for humoring me. The truth is, we do some of those things, just not during the "school day." He plays two sports, but those are in the evening. He practices the violin every day, but Dh sits with him in the morning before work. We go to the library about twice a week, but my younger boys like to come, so we go after school. I guess it's just this "dead time" in the early afternoon that's driving me a little crazy. :D

The Y is a great idea - I think he's too young (and definitely too small) to work out with me, but maybe he could play basketball in the gym or something? I'll have to call over tomorrow. He's really not interested in joining a homeschool group, but I have met two families who I could try to arrange a field trip with. We did two "field trips" in early September, but he thought they "super lame, Mom," so I've arranged for us to go along with my 2nd grader's class on any field trips they do, but I haven't heard of any so far.

I guess a little more reading couldn't hurt. ;)

Thanks again!

Mary Ellen

Well mercy, my dd was an only for a lot of years, because my two are almost 10 years apart. :) We never had bored time like that... But I sort of have a no tv during the day rule anyway. I allowed Mr. Rogers for her, but beyond that it was only for if you were sick. She ice skated a couple hours a day for several years, she had crafts (sculpting, sewing doll clothes, etc.). She read profusely and read some more. Usually after the ice skating she needed a rest, so that killed an hour with quiet time. A lot of afternoons when it was nice I would read aloud to her while she played, or she'd listen to audiobooks while she did something with her hands.

Take up a sport or find some interests. There's tons he can do at that age. He just needs one obsession to busy himself for a week. Have you tried Snap Circuits? Or the book on making mini-weapons at home? That mini-weapons book was a LOT of fun... Lots of happy hours there... And of course he's finally old enough to play strategy games. You can invest in really good ones like Ticket to Ride or Carcassone. There have been numerous threads on good games...

Wow! I guess I'm the only one with this problem! :001_smile: Thanks so much for humoring me. The truth is, we do some of those things, just not during the "school day." He plays two sports, but those are in the evening. He practices the violin every day, but Dh sits with him in the morning before work. We go to the library about twice a week, but my younger boys like to come, so we go after school. I guess it's just this "dead time" in the early afternoon that's driving me a little crazy. :D

The Y is a great idea - I think he's too young (and definitely too small) to work out with me, but maybe he could play basketball in the gym or something? I'll have to call over tomorrow. He's really not interested in joining a homeschool group, but I have met two families who I could try to arrange a field trip with. We did two "field trips" in early September, but he thought they "super lame, Mom," so I've arranged for us to go along with my 2nd grader's class on any field trips they do, but I haven't heard of any so far.

Thanks again!

Mary Ellen

I guess I'm confused about whether you are concerned about filling your own days or your son's? Honestly, if it's time on his hands that bothers you, I wouldn't worry unless it's bugging him. I'm actually a fan of boredom for kids, since it gives them time to think and dream and figure out how to entertain themselves. I assumed it was you who was bored?

I would say, just wait a bit!

DD is now in 9th grade. She does an enrichment thing on Fridays, and her regular school takes four FULL days. I still have to be available to help, organize, cheerlead. As another mom mentioned, also planning and organizing cirriculum. We are also very busy with church activities.

Honestly, if I did have more than one child, I would seriously consider some kind of medication or energy drink on a regular basis.

How do you fill in your day?

I left my job to be able to homeschool my 5th grader this year, so I'm not used to having this free time, and neither is he. I feel like we're doing enough schoolwork (but feel free to tell me if we're not!). I'm having him do about an hour of "homework" in the evenings while his brothers are doing theirs, so we're finishing most of his other work by lunch time. We have several hours of downtime before I have to pick the other boys up from school at 3:30. Filling that in with Law and Order reruns and unnecessary errands isn't going to be productive in the long run, but I don't want to pile schoolwork on and neither of us are hobbyists. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Mary Ellen

Come to my house. I have a scary basement that would take a year to organize. I have a middle schooler at home and a high schooler at school. Since my oldest can walk to school, her schedule doesn't interrupt our day. We do have those dead hours about 2-3 days a week, but we LOVE them. I read or catch up on house stuff and DS has no trouble entertaining himself. I manage to get a visitor here for tea about once a week, so we do that between 2 and 4. We're not above catching a movie while the rest of the world is at school or work :D

I guess I'm confused about whether you are concerned about filling your own days or your son's? Honestly, if it's time on his hands that bothers you, I wouldn't worry unless it's bugging him. I'm actually a fan of boredom for kids, since it gives them time to think and dream and figure out how to entertain themselves. I assumed it was you who was bored?

Sorry for the confusion, I can see now that I didn't explain myself well in the OP.

I'm more worried about filling his time. It might come from having five (loud, energetic) siblings, but he doesn't like to do too much on his own. He does enjoy reading, but after a full morning of school, he'll only read for 30 minutes or so, then he wants to hang out with me. I love that, but I just can't think of a whole lot of things for us to do. I'm okay with entertaining him for now. He's had five years of public school to be bored, and I'm trying to make this year as positive as possible.

I would say, just wait a bit!

I was thinking this while I was reading a thread on the logic stage board today!

Thanks,

Mary Ellen

Come to my house. I have a scary basement that would take a year to organize. I have a middle schooler at home and a high schooler at school. Since my oldest can walk to school, her schedule doesn't interrupt our day. We do have those dead hours about 2-3 days a week, but we LOVE them. I read or catch up on house stuff and DS has no trouble entertaining himself. I manage to get a visitor here for tea about once a week, so we do that between 2 and 4. We're not above catching a movie while the rest of the world is at school or work :D

Now there's a good idea! (The movie, that is. Not the scary basement.) :D

Mary Ellen

The Y is a great idea - I think he's too young (and definitely too small) to work out with me, but maybe he could play basketball in the gym or something? Thanks again!

Mary Ellen

My dd, who 'works out with me' is tall and stick thin (she's 10). She enjoys being able to walk on the treadmill with her earbuds in while watching tv. :001_smile: Sometimes she reads the Kindle instead, but we're getting out and about, I get to exercise, and she is active even if she's 'plugged in' some of the time.

Guitar lessons, guitar practice, swimming lessons, nature walks, bike rides, cooking/baking lessons, AWANA (though, that is in the evening), soccer practice 2x a week (basketball in the winter, more soccer in the spring), Co-op, grocery store, field trips every 2 to 3 weeks... occasional appointments; doctor, dentist, chiropractor, etc.

Then there is always house cleaning, laundry, dinner prep....

And DS is only in 3rd grade!

LOL, I can't imagine having free time that I need to fill in! I'm not even counting in time on here, Facebook, and digital scrapbooking!!

As a matter of fact, I would say, just cherish the heck outta that free time... if not for yourself, do it for me!! ;)

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I have great admiration for those who have more than one child to homeschool. I have been homeschooling ds (only child) since 2004 -- 3rd grade. He is now in the 11th grade. I admit it is more of a tutoring session to work with one student/child... and in the younger grades, it is little chunk of the day. But by the time 8th grade hits... it eats up a good part of the day! I used to have time for clubs, 4H, drama club, or field trips... but now? LOL Forget it. :lol: Homeschooling a high schooler takes up my time. Add chores, cooking, and bills... no time, period!!

Edited by tex-mex

Take up a sport or find some interests. There's tons he can do at that age. He just needs one obsession to busy himself for a week. Have you tried Snap Circuits? Or the book on making mini-weapons at home? That mini-weapons book was a LOT of fun... Lots of happy hours there... And of course he's finally old enough to play strategy games. You can invest in really good ones like Ticket to Ride or Carcassone. There have been numerous threads on good games...

:iagree:

I purposely created a Homeschool Robotics club just for my ds and 30+ kids. He loved it! Lots of work, but really channeled his interest into an activity.

Is there a way you can still do your work p/t? From home?

I honestly don't think hsing one child is 'enough' for a person. In fact, I don't think hsing 5 children, or 10, is 'enough' for a person.

You can keep busy, yes. It's valuable work, for sure.

Always remember who you are. Hsing mgiht be enough for some, but it sounds like it is not enough for you.

It's not enough for me, at any rate. What each hsing parent does to stay sane is dependent upon the person.

Edited by LibraryLover

Thanks again!

Mary Ellen

We used to participate in the YMCA's Homeschool PE program (ages 5-15) for many years. I loved it as I got one hour to myself (while working out) and he played sports with a group of homeschoolers. I felt the same about my support group's field trips... so I volunteered to coordinate them. I created some fun ones ds really enjoyed. You will have to do some work.

Edited by tex-mex

I'm only homeschooling 1 but we don't have free time like you describe. He is in 8th grade, so perhaps that is the difference. I work early in the morning and DS gets some things done independently while I'm gone. If we have errands to run, a field trip, or a class (like swimming) we'll typically do that mid-day. When we got home we'll finish up the rest of school work and by that time the day is over and DS is ready to head outside to play, have dinner, and sometimes go to karate or baseball. I spend the part of my day that I'm home cleaning, grading papers, helping him with the parts of his work he's having trouble with, and occasionally watching my DVR'd shows or studying my own things. Those of you who finish by noon make me wonder what the heck I'm doing wrong. :001_huh:

Some of the extra-curricular we had in 5th:

1. Typing Instructor for Kids (I think this was about 3rd, but a great added class.)

2. Microsoft Word, Excel, and Photoshop classes. (I made my own class using how-to books from Barnes and Noble.)

3. Made an animated movie using construction paper characters.

4. Daily science lab. We used a ton of Eino-Science, Magic School Bus, Thames and Konos, K'nex, etc. kits.

5. Piano, dance, voice, and acting classes at night.

6. Daily P.E. class with mom. We live in south Florida so we can go outside all year. But we spend one hour a day biking, skate boarding, swimming, or scootering.

7. Educational video games like the Tycoon series or similar.

8. Daily art lesson. Again, I depended on kits like Alex Toys or Melissa and Doug.

9. Foreign language, Chinese and Spanish.

We would also finish about noon even though my kiddo had 16 subjects. She is a speed demon and for 5th, each subject lasted only 15 minutes or less. Her outside activities usually started about 3 or 4p, so I would let her use the filler hours any way she saw fit. Since your DS is busy in the mornings and at night, I see no reason why he shouldn't be allowed a few down hours. You can always get him to do some chores with you, and otherwise feel like a necessary family member.

:)

Oh, and I had a lot of down time when we started homeschooling. I don't know what happened, but it's gone now.

:)

I have an only so she has always been able to entertain herself if I'm busy or otherwise unavailable.

I always made the school day last until about 2p. We were not big morning people so that was part of it. We may not have started school until 10a.

How about going deeper in his school work or areas of interest. There has to be something he is interested in that he could study in depth.

Then wait a couple years. By 8th grade any free time is gone.

I guess we don't have a problem filling the time. But, it's not an instant thing. I would think after being in public school it would be hard to start entertaining yourself suddenly.

We do a lot of activities, I shoot for one every day. We are able to have playdates with other homeschoolers because I offer to travel or watch other people's kids. I have only have one child, and it's easier for me and my dd needs the playdates. Another thing you can do is offer to teach some sort of homeschool class in your house.

Maybe your son needs to look into some hobbies. We have a huge art cabinet, and I just taught dd how to knit. Lately she's been really into riding her scooter. There must be something he can "get into" that he can do during the day.

It takes a lot of coordinating from Mom to homeschool an only ;).

Is there a way you can still do your work p/t? From home?

I honestly don't think hsing one child is 'enough' for a person. In fact, I don't think hsing 5 children, or 10, is 'enough' for a person.

You can keep busy, yes. It's valuable work, for sure.

Always remember who you are. Hsing mgiht be enough for some, but it sounds like it is not enough for you.

It's not enough for me, at any rate. What each hsing parent does to stay sane is dependant upon the person.

People are different, but homeschooling one child is certainly enough for me. But it's like the difference between going out to dinner, and growing and making every single item from scratch.

People are different, but homeschooling one child is certainly enough for me. But it's like the difference between going out to dinner, and growing and making every single item from scratch.

Exactly.

And I think whether teaching a single child at home is "enough" may also depend on how interested you are in education and homeschooling. In my pre-kid life, I worked in jobs that had a big educational component, and I've always been interested in that. I read books about homeschooling and other flavors of education (alternative schools, unschooling, etc.) for fun, because it's an interest of mine.

So, to extend your metaphor, I think this may also be the difference between grabbing something to eat from the fast food restaurant because you are hungry and not picky and researching how to use unfamiliar, exotic ingredients to make a nutritious and appealing dinner at home, catering to the personal tastes of every guest.

I worked full time outside the house for over a decade before I had kids, and I was miserable. The only way I got to sleep most nights was by fooling myself into believing I would call in sick in the morning. I never lasted at any one job for more than two years, because by that point I was crawling out of my skin with boredom and stagnation. I've never felt that way about homeschooling, whether I had one student or two. I was telling my husband the other day that

homeschooling (well) is significantly more difficult than any job I ever held and also infinitely more interesting. So, to me, the suggestion of outside work as a way to relieve boredom sounds absolutely foreign.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

I saw I typed dependent wrong. I fixed that.

I can fill a whole day with hsing and childhood activities. I wasn't thinking about filling the day, but taking care of the soul. I understand hsing is a big important job, and doing it well offers a sense of pride, yes. It's been a gift watching my children grow and thrive. It's that I am more than my children, kwim?

Hsing is not 'enough' for me --even when I was hsing 3 children--and it might not be 'enough' for some others.

Edited by LibraryLover