Menu

Have you purchased something through Homeschool Buyers Co-op?

Have you purchased a group buy offer from homeschool buyers co-op  

1. 1. Have you purchased a group buy offer from homeschool buyers co-op

• Yes
    • No

We are looking to offer a group buy for our new business. I've been in contact with one of the marketing officials. So far been a good experience.

In trying to decide if the marketing expense is worth it I want to see how many people from our little corner of the world (WTM that is) have actually purchased one of their group buys.

:)

I have purchased many things through them. I have never had a problem. In fact, sometimes if I find something I want to buy I go to HS buyers co-op to see if they have it discounted.

I will admit that I have purchased a couple of things that I was on the fence about because I could get such a great deal through HS Buyers co-op.

I have also missed a discount window and then waited for it to come available again rather than buy an item full price.

Apparently I am a sucker for a discount.

Amber in SJ

I've bought through them many times. We used to advertise a previous business on their site, but we didn't get much business through them. (It was not a curriculum business.) Whenever I find something I'm interested in for school I check there first. Also, they have excellent customer service.

My only caution about selling through HBC is that people are looking for good discounts, not just 10-20% off the regular price, so if you can't afford to give a relatively substantial discount, you might not get many customers.

I would think the visibility would be excellent, though, especially if they include you in the emails they send out to their members. (I always read those!)

If you do it, be sure to let us know what you're selling, so we can check it out! :001_smile:

I have purchased many things through them. I have never had a problem. In fact, sometimes if I find something I want to buy I go to HS buyers co-op to see if they have it discounted.

I will admit that I have purchased a couple of things that I was on the fence about because I could get such a great deal through HS Buyers co-op.

I have also missed a discount window and then waited for it to come available again rather than buy an item full price.

Apparently I am a sucker for a discount.

Amber in SJ

lol :iagree: I do the same.

My only caution about selling through HBC is that people are looking for good discounts, not just 10-20% off the regular price, so if you can't afford to give a relatively substantial discount, you might not get many customers.

I would think the visibility would be excellent, though, especially if they include you in the emails they send out to their members. (I always read those!)

If you do it, be sure to let us know what you're selling, so we can check it out! :001_smile:

:iagree:

This is a good point. Honestly, I expect 40-50% off, unless the product was under $20 or so to begin with, and then 20-25% off.

So glad to hear your responses. I did a little calculating after I talked last with the marketing department. I think it could work. I am pleased to see that so many people actually open the emails and purchase through them. I am waiting for their statistics for the exact numbers (ha statistics exact! lol). I think it just may work... :)

Thanks everyone.

This is a good point. Honestly, I expect 40-50% off, unless the product was under $20 or so to begin with, and then 20-25% off.

This was something the marketing department brought up. We decided that come time, we will offer a 35% discount BUT a year had to be purchased up front (still under $150). I think she was pleased with the offer honestly.

This was something the marketing department brought up. We decided that come time, we will offer a 35% discount BUT a year had to be purchased up front (still under $150). I think she was pleased with the offer honestly.

35% is not going to cut it with me, especially when were talking something pricey. The $$$ stuff usually goes for 50% off. Look at the more expensive items and you will notice most are half off.

35% is not going to cut it with me, especially when were talking something pricey. The $$$ stuff usually goes for 50% off. Look at the more expensive items and you will notice most are half off.

Other people may disagree, of course.

Just IMO if it were a curriculum with a great reputation that never goes on sale then people would consider 35% off a deal. But for a very new, very expensive product with few reviews and no real reputation, I think that 35% off is not very impressive.

Other people may disagree, of course.

Just IMO if it were a curriculum with a great reputation that never goes on sale then people would consider 35% off a deal. But for a very new, very expensive product with few reviews and no real reputation, I think that 35% off is not very impressive.

Our regular product is only $18.95 a month. Going much lower than 35% and after co-op commission would yield nearly 0 profit. In order to keep customer service at a high as well as other things like hosting, payment processing etc 35% would be the lowest we could go at this time. Our product is not going to appeal to everyone as it is. However those who have been in the market for it (traditional market that is) will I think be interested in the 35% discount because we are already up to 75% lower than traditional forms.

Good to know though that for some a higher price break is important especially with a new company. I hadn't thought of it like that.

Our regular product is only $18.95 a month. Going much lower than 35% and after co-op commission would yield nearly 0 profit. In order to keep customer service at a high as well as other things like hosting, payment processing etc 35% would be the lowest we could go at this time. Our product is not going to appeal to everyone as it is. However those who have been in the market for it (traditional market that is) will I think be interested in the 35% discount because we are already up to 75% lower than traditional forms.

Good to know though that for some a higher price break is important especially with a new company. I hadn't thought of it like that.

To me, 35% off is good... IF that is a real discount, it can't be found anywhere else and the product truly sells for the higher price somewhere else.