Menu

I need advice for helping DD lose weight

DD2 has had to be on steroids a huge amount in the last three years. It has really taken its toll on her weight. She is 6YO and 80 pounds. She has a serious sweet tooth. I need some concrete steps to wrap my head around how to help her. She is becoming self conscious about it so I want to emphasize healthy eating and activities without making her feel deprived or making her feel like it is about her weight at all.

Complicating things, my other DD who will be 9 next month is slightly underweight and so I want to be aware of helping her achieve and maintain a healthy weight.

I just need some advice so I can craft the best way to approach this. Just "trying to eat healthy" isn't really working for us. For that matter, DH and I need to lose weight too. But my focus is helping my DD be healthy. Her steroid use is going down so it should be possible for her to get healthier between times.

Edited by sunnylady303
I killed a kitten

Whole foods - get rid of the "junk" in your house. Strive to make everything from scratch watching the sodium and fat. No more sweets unless it is a banana or an apple or other fruit. No fruit juice. Water, unsweetened (or very lightly sweetened) green tea, or more water for drinks.

Exercise - everyone needs it - overweight or not. Healthy people get/stay healthy with exercise. Exercise as a family at least 4 days a week.

Encouragement - encourage healthy choices. Set personal goals with non-food rewards. For your overweight child her goal could be to grow half an inch. If she maintains her weight and allows her body to grow she will be more proportional.

Is there a way you could see a nutritionist?

Maybe. Honestly though, we've seen nutritionists a couple of times before and I've not been impressed. I asked her doctor about that and she said that I probably know more about nutrition and whole foods than most nutritionists. But knowing and doing are different things and like I said, I just need some concrete steps to wrap my head around.

Maybe I'll ask again.

Since the nutrition aspect seems to be something that you can adjust and are educated about, how about creating a challenge or goal of some kind for the physical activity aspect?

You could make a fun goal chart for hiking trails (add up miles, etc.) and have a non-food reward at the end! Our local metroparks have a "Hiking Spree" that allows us to log just this and earn a patch at the end. It's so fun!

Maybe sign up for a class together? Spinning or water aerobics? It depends on what you have.

What about the physical fitness challenge? Or learn new games or remake regular sports with new silly rules? Come up with family olympics? Until it's a regular thing in your family, it can take some creativity to get it going but once it's a habit, it's such a gift to give your kiddos!

Whole foods - get rid of the "junk" in your house. Strive to make everything from scratch watching the sodium and fat. No more sweets unless it is a banana or an apple or other fruit. No fruit juice. Water, unsweetened (or very lightly sweetened) green tea, or more water for drinks.

Exercise - everyone needs it - overweight or not. Healthy people get/stay healthy with exercise. Exercise as a family at least 4 days a week.

Encouragement - encourage healthy choices. Set personal goals with non-food rewards. For your overweight child her goal could be to grow half an inch. If she maintains her weight and allows her body to grow she will be more proportional.

Yes to all of the above. Exercise is the key with littles. I wouldn't worry about LOSING weight so much as from here on out making changes so that when she grows upward she will thin out.

Yes to all of the above. Exercise is the key with littles. I wouldn't worry about LOSING weight so much as from here on out making changes so that when she grows upward she will thin out.

This is exactly what my son's endo wants. We aren't to focus on G losing weight, but on him maintaining it so that he can grow into as he gets older.

We got rid of the "junk" in the house, anything that we knew we shouldn't have or that were foods we overindulged with. Next we divided our plate in half and then one side was divided again. So a full half is devoted to veggies, 1/4 goes to protein, and the last protein goes to fat/starch. We don't force him to eat everything on his plate, but if he wants seconds, the veggies have to be finished AND he can only have seconds on veggies. Fruit and nuts for snacks. Another thing we've done is to cut up lots of different kinds of veggies and we have those (w/ lots of ranch) for lunch along with some kind of protein.

We do occasionally have cheat meals or snacks. But those items are bought for those specific times and only in small amounts. Once they're gone, that's it. It takes away the temptation to constantly cheat but also allows for some favorites that aren't really "good" for us.

This is exactly what my son's endo wants. We aren't to focus on G losing weight, but on him maintaining it so that he can grow into as he gets older.

We got rid of the "junk" in the house, anything that we knew we shouldn't have or that were foods we overindulged with. Next we divided our plate in half and then one side was divided again. So a full half is devoted to veggies, 1/4 goes to protein, and the last protein goes to fat/starch. We don't force him to eat everything on his plate, but if he wants seconds, the veggies have to be finished AND he can only have seconds on veggies. Fruit and nuts for snacks. Another thing we've done is to cut up lots of different kinds of veggies and we have those (w/ lots of ranch) for lunch along with some kind of protein.

We do occasionally have cheat meals or snacks. But those items are bought for those specific times and only in small amounts. Once they're gone, that's it. It takes away the temptation to constantly cheat but also allows for some favorites that aren't really "good" for us.

Lots of good ideas, but I'd recommend measuring out the ranch. Lots of sodium and fat in store bought ranch.

I'd highly recommend you speak to a pediatrician before putting any child on a weight loss regimen.

Of course. I have talked to my pediatrician, and DD's pulmonologist, immunologist, and her allergy-asthma doctor. They agree that helping her lose a little weight, maintain a slightly lower weight that she can grow into, and becoming much more active in between lung flare ups would be really beneficial. They have been short on details however, advising me to have her eat healthier and be more active.

Getting rid of sugar would be good. And swimming maybe? She gets so frustrated trying to run and keep up with the other kids that swimming might be good. Hmm...it's so hard to limit sugar when you are out and about. Everyone wants to give sugar. What's up with that? Sigh.

Of course. I have talked to my pediatrician, and DD's pulmonologist, immunologist, and her allergy-asthma doctor. They agree that helping her lose a little weight, maintain a slightly lower weight that she can grow into, and becoming much more active in between lung flare ups would be really beneficial. They have been short on details however, advising me to have her eat healthier and be more active.

Getting rid of sugar would be good. And swimming maybe? She gets so frustrated trying to run and keep up with the other kids that swimming might be good. Hmm...it's so hard to limit sugar when you are out and about. Everyone wants to give sugar. What's up with that? Sigh.

because sugar is the root of all evil. Seriously. The sugary snacks in little packages are horrible. Sugar should be fruit, and the occasional home baked or good quality treat.

My DD did a long stint on steroids when her JRA was first diagnosed. It was awful timing, and awful in terms of her appetite.

I'd minimize the idea (*especially* in her case) that move more/eat less works. I'd make sure she got plenty of healthy fat and protein. I'd limit carbs and grain based carbs, even whole grains.

Teach her to only eat things that have natural sugar in them.... fruit, honey, pure maple syrup, etc... That will eliminate most of it.

I had bad asthma as a child. A doctor suggested starting to exercise more when I was 8 or 9 to improve lung capacity. That was the beginning of me feeling a lot better so I would agree with others on increasing activity.

Cutting out processed foods is my other major suggestion. If you need help getting started this is one of my favorite websites. The 10 day challenges are a very good place to start.

http://Www.100daysofrealfood.com

With a child who has allergies and asthma, I would seriously recommend trying a gluten-free diet. There is growing evidence that gluten intolerance can worsen asthma symptoms.

Going GF may also help with the weight issue because you'll be cutting out a lot of junk food (unless you choose to replace them with GF junk, which is expensive).

Christina Pirello

Google her. She has a show on PBS called Christina Cooks. I can't remember which foods it she mentioned. I remember an episode where she was talking about ditching sugar cravings *without* feeling deprived.

I'm sorry I can't remember more but maybe it might give you some ideas for satisfying her sweet tooth and maybe help her health at the same time.

I too have an overweight dd. One thing I have done that seems to be working well for her is daily exercise of some sort, which means the whole family is going on a lot more late afternoon walks! She also started participating in roller derby, and loves it. That right there is a solid 90 minutes of fairly intense exercise every week.

Another "trick" since my dd loves sweets and desserts...

I bake an apple or pear (or poach them with nothing added except water), split it between the two kids, then drizzle very lightly with raw honey OR real maple syrup (and I do mean very lightly), sprinkle with cinnamon, add a dollop of lowfat all-natural vanilla yogurt, and call that dessert. She LOVES it, and I feel good about giving it to her. I've also given her mandarin oranges (in juice only, no syrup) with some yogurt.

Hmm...it's so hard to limit sugar when you are out and about. Everyone wants to give sugar. What's up with that? Sigh.

I started carrying snacks with me everywhere. A small packet of nuts, some fruit, string cheese... things that have a good ratio of good fats and protein work well, and the fruit eases her sweet tooth.

Edited by momto2Cs

One thing we did to help one of my dc lose a little weight was to make sure not to totally cut out sugar. We cut it out, except for one night a week. Our dessert night was looked forward to all week!

As far as the swimming goes, many asthmatics find that the tremendous increase in lung capacity swimming brings can make their asthma symptoms almost go away. However, the chlorine in the pool can cause asthma. If you decide to try it, make sure the pool has good air quality. You want a high ceiling with good ventilation system. Your eyes should not tear up when you walk into the pool area!

:grouphug: But if you are also in for the ride, she will do better. :D

A nutritionalist is a good idea, but stick with whole foods and things from scratch. Chips can become pretzels and hummus dip (all kinds out there). There are new things to explore together and make it fun. Help her come up with ideas for meals together and get her involved in the process. Most kids love cutting things and helping cook.

We are beginning to learn more about nutrition, etc. in our family. We haven't made any major changes yet, but are studying what kinds of changes to make.

We recently watched a "movie" called, Forks Over Knives that speaks to the effects of chemical additives, animal proteins vs plant proteins, and whole foods. They mentioned several case studies where unhealthy people move to new eating habits of using only whole foods thereby dramatically improving their health (to the point of no longer requiring meds, reversing diagnoses, etc). You may be interested in watching that. It's pretty interesting. Definitely thought-provoking.

For your dd's sweet tooth, I agree that training her to fruit, etc is the healthiest option, but for the occasional candy treat, check out Unreal http://getunreal.com/ They've reformulated popular candies using only natural ingredients - no chemicals, no preservatives, natural colors from beets, etc. It's a new company offering a comparably priced product. We just got some to try this week and they are really good. My favorite so far is the peanut butter cups. Anyway, what I notice about these - at least for me - is that they don't have the addictive quality that, say, Reeses has. With Reeses I could sit down and eat a whole bowl and not be satisfied. With the Unreal, I almost :tongue_smilie: didn't even eat the second pb cup in the package because one "did it for me".

We have also started using Himalayan sea salt instead of the over-processed white stuff you find in the stores. It has lots of minerals - way healthier than the white stuff - and I would venture to say, is not addictive.

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing what other info you get as we try to decide a course of action for our own habits. :bigear:

Shoot for 30 minutes of exercise (the kind that makes you breathe heavier) EVERY day. 3-4 times a week just doesn't cut it. The exercise is for her to develop good habits for her HEART HEALTH, not to lose weight. It does increase your appetite, so if you want to prevent weight gain, you have to modify her diet, as well.

I am a firm believer in carbs (in all forms) being bad for us. They cause cravings for more carbs--even when you eat "whole grains." I would find some healthy favorites that she loves and base her diet around those. Fage 2% fat Greek yogurt mixed with berries and stevia is a wonderful subsitute for ice cream, for example.

We are working on this in our home, as well, since DS 7 weighs 113 pounds and DH and I need to slim down ourselves. As others have said, we're just trying to keep him from gaining more while his height catches up. Some things we are focusing on:

* Exercise. We have him signed up for soccer and PE currently, and as it cools down here I am trying to get outside more for bike rides, park days, etc.

* Portion control. We do a lot of reading labels and talking about serving sizes. I try to dish out dinner for everyone and then put the left overs away in the fridge right away, so it's less convenient to get seconds.

* I'm trying to eliminate sugar and wheat for myself entirely. That means the kids get less, too. I rarely serve rolls or any other kind of bread with dinner anymore because that's all they would eat. I've switched over to brown rice pasta. PP have mentioned lots of yummy ways to make treats without lots of sugar. Our current favorite treat is fresh peaches in half and half sprinkled with stevia.

* Getting enough sleep. I think this is a hidden problem that lots of people deal with but don't recognize. I think my son may even have sleep apnea, so we've been looking into that. But for kids and for me, if we're well rested we have more energy and we're less likely to be snacking all day.

I wish you much success with your DD. I know it can be daunting, but the good habits you will be teaching her will last a lifetime. That's my hope here, anyway.

DD2 has had to be on steroids a huge amount in the last three years. It has really taken its toll on her weight. She is 6YO and 80 pounds. She has a serious sweet tooth. I need some concrete steps to wrap my head around how to help her. She is becoming self conscious about it so I want to emphasize healthy eating and activities without making her feel deprived or making her feel like it is about her weight at all.

I would not cut fat from a child's diet. Brains need fat to grow & repair ... hormones are made of saturated fat.

I would stick with natural whole foods, nothing processed, take it easy on all sweets. Take snacks with you so you don't have to buy junk food. Get her moving a lot- swim, walk, etc as a family.

Please don't measure her food, count calories, weigh her in, etc. She's only 6. Everyone is build differently, that doesn't make them less or more than others.

Just agreeing with other posters about:

1. cooking whole foods - make 3 meals a day
  2. get rid of the sugar - no soda or fruit juices
  3. increase the fat and protein, decrease the carbs

Complicating things, my other DD who will be 9 next month is slightly underweight and so I want to be aware of helping her achieve and maintain a healthy weight.

I just need some advice so I can craft the best way to approach this. Just "trying to eat healthy" isn't really working for us. For that matter, DH and I need to lose weight too. But my focus is helping my DD be healthy. Her steroid use is going down so it should be possible for her to get healthier between times.

I wouldn't try to get her to loose weight, but increase the time spent in activity and work towards weight maintenance. She will eventually grow into her weight. I have had a child maintain close to the same weight for about 2.5 years and the other child gained about 10 lbs during that time.

I highly recommend Dr Sears LEAN Kids program. It has been great for us.

I keep track of height and weight monthly, but I never talk about losing weight or give attention to weight at all. I just keep track of weight like I do height. If a child starts to go higher I make sure I adjust the activity level and the food choices. My son asked me about 2 years after we started Dr Sears why his weight wasn't going up any more. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:At the grandparents' house, at the church, at the summer VBS, at the library, at the bank, at the pediatrician's office -- Here, kids, have some SUGAR and some HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP and some F D & C YELLOW NUMBER 5! :tongue_smilie:I could just scream.

We say, "No, thank you, we don't want the sugar." And that's that. The children do get used to this, and now my three decline politely on their own. I think it's important, though, to say "we don't want the sugar," because otherwise the offer is repeated again and again and again. "Oh, you know you want some candy, right?" No, we really don't.

About your daughter: Stationary bikes for kids -- turn her bike into an exercise bike for indoor exercise with this stand.

Bounce places are fun, indoor exercise for the winter months.

Family walks are something the whole family can do, indoors (at a mall) or outdoors (at a track or park trail). Enjoy!

I just wanted to add that what worked for me was getting (and using ;)) a treadmill. With my husband's work/travel schedule, our weather for half the year, our small house, and other factors, there was just no way for me to make use of a health club and/or local track. I needed to find a way to exercise every day, at home, for 30 minutes, in the target heart rate. The treadmill was the answer for me. Now I exercise like I brush my teeth and shower in the morning. It feels "yuck" to not exercise now. :D

And a nice side benefit is that while I'm sweating away, my daughters are often "exercising" with Mommy! :lol: They hop and jump and run in place alongside the treadmill, especially if I play peppy music. It's a riot. And you should hear them grunt when they're doing their "stretches." :lol: Oof. Unh. Foo.

I think it's important to remember that this child gained weight as a result of steroids. It very well may NOT be family habit, quality of diet, etc.

My dd ended up waiting until she was teen and lost the extra weight with portion control and exceedingly good choices. But the weight gain was directly, absolutely due to extreme appetitite created by the drugs she was on.

Sorry, but I feel fairly defensive about this. :):grouphug:

I think it's important to remember that this child gained weight as a result of steroids. It very well may NOT be family habit, quality of diet, etc.

My dd ended up waiting until she was teen and lost the extra weight with portion control and exceedingly good choices. But the weight gain was directly, absolutely due to extreme appetitite created by the drugs she was on.

Sorry, but I feel fairly defensive about this. :):grouphug:

Thanks, I do too. We have, I feel like, fostered fairly healthy eating and activity with our daughters. This has been born out in my older child and was in my younger as well before she had to be on massive amounts of steroids. The appetite is unreal as is the chubby round face that comes with it.

I feel a bit defensive about it too but I did ask for suggestions on how to lose weight so I've been trying to bite that back. It's an odd situation. It's good to know someone else has BTDT.

My cousin and his wife both needed lapband surgery. As part of the prep, his wife sent my cousin out to the park for the day with the dc, and she and a friend went through her house and got rid of ALL processed foods, sugar, soda, etc., then went shopping for the new, whole grain, fruit, veggie, and lean meat eating habits she wanted to institute. The dc are also in one sport (or dance class) at all times. The difference in the dc is stunning. They're never going to be skinny -- they're just not built that way ... their almost-7 year old is 100 lb ... but that 100 lb is truly muscle. He prefers apples and oranges to cookies and candy most of the time because that's what he has been raised to know (he was a toddler when they made the change). For them, it took a decision to break the habits that had been engrained for generations ... habits that led to early deaths of most of their family members (all parents and grandparents but his mom have died between the ages of 45 and 60). I'm sure it wasn't easy (especially in S. Louisiana's food-based culture), but they've been determined.

And nutritionists also struggle with what they know and what choices they actually make. That cousin's sister is a nutritionist raising children who are obese enough that they are already dealing with health consequences. The earlier you change the habits, though, the more natural it will be for your dc to make good food decisions. I think that's my cousin's main downfall after having grown up in a house full of junk food.

My cousin and his wife both needed lapband surgery. As part of the prep, his wife sent my cousin out to the park for the day with the dc, and she and a friend went through her house and got rid of ALL processed foods, sugar, soda, etc., then went shopping for the new, whole grain, fruit, veggie, and lean meat eating habits she wanted to institute. The dc are also in one sport (or dance class) at all times. The difference in the dc is stunning. They're never going to be skinny -- they're just not built that way ... their almost-7 year old is 100 lb ... but that 100 lb is truly muscle. He prefers apples and oranges to cookies and candy most of the time because that's what he has been raised to know (he was a toddler when they made the change). For them, it took a decision to break the habits that had been engrained for generations ... habits that led to early deaths of most of their family members (all parents and grandparents but his mom have died between the ages of 45 and 60). I'm sure it wasn't easy (especially in S. Louisiana's food-based culture), but they've been determined.

And nutritionists also struggle with what they know and what choices they actually make. That cousin's sister is a nutritionist raising children who are obese enough that they are already dealing with health consequences. The earlier you change the habits, though, the more natural it will be for your dc to make good food decisions. I think that's my cousin's main downfall after having grown up in a house full of junk food.

:confused:

Did you not read the last couple of posts? :001_huh:

Steroids absolutely alter the metabolism so much it is nearly cruel to try to make her lose sweight. I gained 60 lbs on 10 mg per day within 9 months. I ate no more than 1800 calories per day. Now that I am down to 5 mg per day I lost 20 lbs effortlessly. Please research the meds and talk to her MD about titrating her down and you will be amazed how quickly the weight will come off. How very hard for all of you to deal with severe health challenges in a little one. She will come into her own after the steroids are reduced.