Menu

House Hunting Saga Continued...Wanna see round #2?

Anyone wanna see round 2 of houses we're looking at? I have plans to go look at them Tuesday with my Agent :D What sayeth the HIVE about them?

#2 http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/230-Ashland-Dr-San-Antonio-TX-78218/26297972_zpid/

#3 http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/322-Hialeah-Ave-San-Antonio-TX-78218/26305022_zpid/

#4 http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1015-Sumner-Dr-San-Antonio-TX-78218/26302016_zpid/

For those who remember my previous post looking for a house, house #1 got veto'd due to location. While I LOVE the neighborhood it's in and how handy it is to things, I'm concerned about losing bus service in that area, and since it's our ONLY means of transportation we just had to say no.

This is just my opinion but...

#2 I wouldn't choose it because it has a pool. If you want a pool, then maybe, but it wouldn't be my choice.

#3 My favorite of the three.

#4 Run away. The statement that "Seller is exempt from disclosure" would eliminate it from my list.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

I like number 2 the best. It has so much potential to be a truly great house. Number 3, eh, with some work, it could be awesome but it looks like too much work. For that price though...Hmmm...Depending on how many bedrooms you are looking for, that could swing that one in a positive direction. Number 4 looks so small compared to the other two and it actually has more square feet than number two. I think it might be a bad layout. If you aren't opposed to having a swimming pool in your backyard (and without me actually physically seeing the houses), I like #2. I hope the walk throughs go well.

Wow. I didn't realize there were houses that cheap there.

#2 would be immediately off my list due to the pool.

#3 is decent looking... but are you okay with 2 bedrooms? I probably like it the best out of the three, but it wouldn't work with as many kids as we have.

#4 is bigger. I don't have any idea what to think about the seller not disclosing anything. The tile looks pretty bad in one of those photos.

What else you got? :tongue_smilie:

Anyone wanna see round 2 of houses we're looking at? I have plans to go look at them Tuesday with my Agent :D What sayeth the HIVE about them?

For those who remember my previous post looking for a house, house #1 got veto'd due to location. While I LOVE the neighborhood it's in and how handy it is to things, I'm concerned about losing bus service in that area, and since it's our ONLY means of transportation we just had to say no.

I would love #2 just because it has a pool! While it would cost more because of electricity and water - with the heat, it could be used almost year round. But I'm a Florida girl, ya know (used to be anyway).

#3 would be my second choice.

#4 would be out because it already has multiple offers on it and your offer needs to be in by noon tomorrow. The disclosure issue seems like it means it is bank owned. All contracts can be written with a clause of right of refusal with an unsatisfactory inspection. But the kicker is, some people (contractors, investors) won't have that in their contracts on these kinds of properties and then that makes their offer more attractive.

Good Luck!!!:001_smile:

I would have said #2 but looking at the bird's eye view, there's a huge electrical substation right behind the house. Not sure if you're concerned with any of the phenomena that seem to go along with living near high voltage lines.

Good luck, they each have their own charm.:)

Can you elaborate as to the Phenomena? I know I get headaches sometimes near substations, but that's it. I don't normally get a headache near this substation fwiw.

#2 would definitely be out due to the substation. (Actually, it was my least favorite anyway, but the substation would be leave it completely out of the running).

#3 has bigger closets and A/C.

I like the kitchen layout/size better in #4, but it does look like a LOT of work. The wall is missing in the master bedroom! Was there plumbing damage? (Oh and more possible water damage in the closet by the back door--but that's a great little hallway back there to the backyard!) It also has nice wood flooring throughout almost all of the house, and the square footage is significantly larger.

Looking at my list, I'd say #4 has more potential, but my decision would have to come down to what I could realistically do with it.

I have to say, the exterior shots tugged at my heartstrings. I have a special fondness for those late 50s ranches. :001_wub:

#2 http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/230-Ashland-Dr-San-Antonio-TX-78218/26297972_zpid/

#3 http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/322-Hialeah-Ave-San-Antonio-TX-78218/26305022_zpid/

#4 http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1015-Sumner-Dr-San-Antonio-TX-78218/26302016_zpid/

#2 would be out due to the pool and substation. Also 2k sf is a lot to remodel.

#3 is the one I probably like the best, but it's only 2br. Could you convert the garage into a bedroom? My only concern with it is the windows, it looks like there might have been some leaking in the room with the paneling, is that back of the house? Also what is up with the floors? It looks like they put vinyl over hardwood or something. I would want to consider that.

#4 is okay, but obvious water damage in the laundry room. Loose tile means it is possible it leaked under the flooring. The "as-is" wouldn't bother me as much as with most of these properties you're not going to get a disclosure if they are bank owned. #4 did say they wanted offers by today, which may or may not mean anything. Sounds like they will be non negotiable on price though.

3 & 4 would be the ones I'd consider. I wouldn't even look at 2.

I would probably go with 2. 4 would be off the table given the line about seller being exempt from disclosure. That is a huge red flag IMO.

Usually if a property is bank owned, they are listed in that manner. It doesn't mean there is anything horribly wrong, it usually means as stated in the description, "as-is", they aren't going to do any repairs to sell it. Many of the foreclosures we looked at were owned by banks in different states. They may have never seen the property.

Also at this price point there isn't a lot of room to negotiate because of condition or repairs. Most of these will sell as-is.

House #2 is out. Not just for the substation but it is a HOA.

I am not impressed with any of them. I would just keep looking. I know you have mentioned in several threads about your financial issues. I am a little concerned that you may be under estimating the cost to remodel/repair these homes. Keep putting money in the bank and keep looking until you find the one that just screams right for us.

This is just my opinion but...

#2 I wouldn't choose it because it has a pool. If you want a pool, then maybe, but it wouldn't be my choice.

#3 My favorite of the three.

#4 Run away. The statement that "Seller is exempt from disclosure" would eliminate it from my list.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

:iagree: Exactly.

I definitely wouldn't want a pool (liability, maintenance, etc) and the statement "seller exempt from disclosure" immediately makes me think something is wrong with it that they are hoping you won't find out about.

We are in "That part of Texas" and I deliberately looked for houses WITHOUT pools.

We grew up in Houston without a backyard pool and did fine with using the neighborhood and community pools.

Personally, I'll let someone else handle the maintenance costs and liability issues.

House #2 is out. Not just for the substation but it is a HOA.

I am not impressed with any of them. I would just keep looking. I know you have mentioned in several threads about your financial issues. I am a little concerned that you may be under estimating the cost to remodel/repair these homes. Keep putting money in the bank and keep looking until you find the one that just screams right for us.

Where does it say #2 is in a HOA? I didn't see that. It may not be a mandatory one - a lot of neighborhoods here have a non-mandatory HOA.

I've been looking for 3 months already, and I have 2 months to be out of the house I'm in {and hopefully have it sold}. Houses in my neighborhood are taking 45-60 days to sell right now. We're in a position of we pretty much have to find SOMETHING ASAP that is in livable condition and doesn't need any MAJOR repairs {like roof replaced, foundation issues, termites}. Just saving up more funds isn't an option - we are dipping into the reserve every month we stay in the house we are in.

I wish I could wait for the perfect house, but the odds are not in my favor. As for the repair costs, I have been making a list of the repairs needed and then pricing materials at Home Depot. 80% or more of the repairs will be done AFTER we move in - we'll have more funds then. Hopefully I'm able to get a little out of the place we are in now and put that towards repairs.

Another consideration is how much you will have to do repair/remodel after purchase. I would go with a smaller home for a few reasons. 2,000sf is a lot of floor and wall space. Everything is going to cost more. It may not seem extreme at 300-500 sf more than another house, but it can be. Our last home was 2k sf and remodeling always got put on hold because of expense. In the end all the cosmetic stuff got put on hold, I lived in a house I hated, and nothing was ever done.

Now we're in an 1100 sf house. Most of the remodeling was done before we moved in by dh. It still took him 6 weeks of almost full time work, much less the expense. There are still some projects undone because of expense and because if you do A, you have to do B first. However, it's mostly done and gorgeous. With a larger home everything would have had to wait.

AC in a 2,000 sf house is going to run a lot as well.

As is with remodeling, double the original cost and time to get it done, especially at that price point with that amount of work. I love our house, it was a diamond in the rough, very rough, but we knew what we were getting into and what we could handle. Smaller was better.

Can you elaborate as to the Phenomena? I know I get headaches sometimes near substations, but that's it. I don't normally get a headache near this substation fwiw.

I'm not the best researcher, and of course there's 2 or more sides to each situation but here's a sample:

http://www.midtod.com/9603/voltage.phtml

Frankly, seeing the condition of houses #3 and 4, and seeing that you will be unable to fix them up before moving in....I would run screaming to a well-kept apartment building. I really think it would cost A LOT to fix up #3 and 4.

I hope you can find something that is perfect for your family. I'll pray for an opportunity to open up for you!:grouphug:

Where does it say #2 is in a HOA? I didn't see that. It may not be a mandatory one - a lot of neighborhoods here have a non-mandatory HOA.

I've been looking for 3 months already, and I have 2 months to be out of the house I'm in {and hopefully have it sold}. Houses in my neighborhood are taking 45-60 days to sell right now. We're in a position of we pretty much have to find SOMETHING ASAP that is in livable condition and doesn't need any MAJOR repairs {like roof replaced, foundation issues, termites}. Just saving up more funds isn't an option - we are dipping into the reserve every month we stay in the house we are in.

I wish I could wait for the perfect house, but the odds are not in my favor. As for the repair costs, I have been making a list of the repairs needed and then pricing materials at Home Depot. 80% or more of the repairs will be done AFTER we move in - we'll have more funds then. Hopefully I'm able to get a little out of the place we are in now and put that towards repairs.

Googled the addy and it had something about it being HOA. But this is not what you want to here but it sounds like you are settling. Only 2 months to buy a house and move it to it is not much. You can easily have all kinds of delays and if this is bank owned it will not happen in that time. I would seriously consider renting an apartment for 6 months to continue looking and/or repairing the home when you find it. Home inspections are not always right even when done by the best. Living in a home renovating is a different story than when you think about it. Little problems can turn out to be much bigger than you ever think .

We bought a less-than-perfect house 11years ago, while feeling pressure to buy Something, Anything! :-) We had just driven from NM to AK, were living in a crack motel with a toddler/baby/two dogs, and prostitutes propositioning my husband when he was out for a morning run (no exaggeration.)

If I was to do it again, I'd rent, even storing our household goods, rather than move into a place that needed work. I wish we had taken our time, because we have really been stuck, due to that bad choice.

I'd probably end up with number 2 unless something special about the other 2 became apparent on visiting them. That would be my choice with our without a pool. There are other things I like about 2 and really nothing and the others caught my eye.

:iagree:

I just have one caution for when you start your remodeling. With the age of the houses you are looking at, there will almost definitely be asbestos in some of the original materials that were used. This will especially be an issue with vinyl (linoleum) floors and laminate on counter tops (and I think I saw some on a wall?). Do some research on that, it's almost always best to leave it intact and to tile over the top of it.

No way to really advise as I know nothing about the area. Are these in a safe neighborhood? Is the neighborhood sketchy?

Home ownership is EXPENSIVE. Roof leaks? Guess what? YOu have to pay for it. Leaky toilet? You need to pay for it. There is no landlord to go running to.

I would rent in your situation.

Dawn

For me, I would pick #2. It is much bigger than the other houses. And the price is very comparable. And I would LOVE a pool, especially if living in the south. In addition, #4 bothers me because of the 'owner not responsible...' and what appears to be some water damage. That could be MOLD. Which could be a BIG problem.

All that being said, in your shoes, I would prefer to rent. I am so NOT handy, so if anything goes wrong, I would be paying a FORTUNE for repairs.

:iagree:

I just have one caution for when you start your remodeling. With the age of the houses you are looking at, there will almost definitely be asbestos in some of the original materials that were used. This will especially be an issue with vinyl (linoleum) floors and laminate on counter tops (and I think I saw some on a wall?). Do some research on that, it's almost always best to leave it intact and to tile over the top of it.

:iagree: Please take asbestos risk seriously. Search my name in conjunction with "asbestos"--I have written several posts about our experience (two houses) and the correct protocol for containment and/or removal. It's VERY nasty stuff, with VERY nasty long-term consequences, so it's definitely something to take seriously.

For all those suggesting to rent instead of buy, it's not an option here. Because we need at least a 2 bedroom, rent would actually be higher than staying in the house we're in currently {which we can't afford}. Plus it's nearly impossible to find a handicapped rental which is a must for us.

The cheapest option for us is to buy a home. Yes I am aware due to the age it may have Asbestos - we've dealt with that before. I am fairly handy, so I can do most of the repairs, and I have sources to get things I can't do repaired at a low cost. Yes the neighborhoods are slightly sketchy, but then so is where I am currently. I'm not a stranger to living in rough parts of town.

#2 would be my choice - I'd want to paint the kitchen & kitchen cabinets, but otherwise the house looks good. I like the pool, but not the slide, so I'd probaby make a change there.

#3 is too small, I think

#4 is right out. It looks like it needs a lot of work and the owner is exempt from disclosure, two reasons to let it go.