Menu

Read-alouds with k'ers

Aspasia

Okay, so I've gathered that read-alouds are basically the pinnacle of a good homeschooling experience. I definitely believe in reading to my kids and have done it since they were born. But I have some questions.

1. People talk about how much they read to their kids, even the really little ones, and it boggles my mind. When do you do this if you have a toddler (and nap time is reading lesson time followed by quiet time because mama needs a break)? My toddler will not play quietly by himself if we're reading. He's a major talker and he yaps nonstop if we're reading. It's maddening!

2. How much does your k'er really get from it? No matter what I read to dd, if it's beyond picture books (novels, nonfiction, etc.), she either isn't paying attention or she isn't understanding. She would happily let me read to her all day, but she honestly doesn't get anything out of it aside from cozy time with mom (which is fine, but it seems like other kids are getting something out of it in addition to cuddle time). I try to ask her questions after we read something--not to test her or anything but just to talk about what we read--and she literally has NO CLUE what I was just reading. So sometimes I'll re-read a passage or sentence and ask her about that little passage specifically, and she still has no clue. Aaaaaaah!

So I guess I'm wondering either WHY people read aloud so much if their kids don't understand anything at all, or why my kid specifically isn't understanding anything at all.

The types of things I've tried reading to her are things like Alice in Wonderland, Winnie the Pooh, Beatrix Potter stories without pictures, etc.

I should also add that we have a lot of shorter stories (like Uncle Wiggly and various picture books on audio) as audio books. She LOVES those and wants to listen to them all the time. She memorizes them and totally understands what is going on (like, she asks cute little questions about why a character did something or she retells the story or acts it out). She also retains a lot of content from any movie she watches, like Magic School Bus and the like. Do you think maybe the longer stories are overwhelming? Or just that maybe she needs a lot of repetition? Or does she just hate my voice? :confused:

Edited by infomom

My DD is 4.5 and goes through spurts of being able to listen to a chapter book. At one point when she had just turned three I made it through three Little House books in a couple months. Then it was nearly a year before she could do it again. I'm almost through reading Charlotte's Web to DD and DS (2.5). We read a chapter before bed. Most of the time he's quiet, sometimes not. I really can't get any non-picture book reading done during the day. They just don't have the patience for it. Night time works for us.

My 6.5 yo has loved read aloud time for ages and ages. She has outstanding comprehension as well. We have read the complete Borrower series, The Wind in the Willows, and we have been reading through the Chronicles of Narnia.

My 4yo sits in, but doesn't really grasp the story most times. He will color or play quietly with a stuffed animal or car while I read.

My toddler just plays with us or climbs in and out of my lap. :) Admittedly, I do most of the read aloud time at bedtime AFTER the toddler is in bed.

For me, I think it does help their listening skills even if they don't always retain the story. It also gets them used to richer language than picture books provide.

Okay, so I've gathered that read-alouds are basically the pinnacle of a good homeschooling experience.

They are for some, but reading aloud shouldn't be the measuring stick for "good homeschooling experience." :)

I definitely believe in reading to my kids and have done it since they were born. But I have some questions.

:thumbup1:

1. People talk about how much they read to their kids, even the really little ones, and it boggles my mind. When do you do this if you have a toddler (and nap time is reading lesson time followed by quiet time because mama needs a break)? My toddler will not play quietly by himself if we're reading. He's a major talker and he yaps nonstop if we're reading. It's maddening!

It has become very popular to use methods that require lots of reading aloud from good trade books (a "trade book" being one you'd buy at a store or find in the library, as opposed to a published textbook) for *all* learning, for *all* subjects. That's a *good* method, but it is not the *only* method. For myself, I read aloud to my older dd while my younger dd was taking a nap, right after lunch, from a good book, one chapter a day. I didn't try to do all our history, science, every-other-thing by reading aloud. Sounds like that wouldn't work for you at this point, either. It's ok. Also, if you like the idea of doing so much reading aloud, then you will also need to spend time teaching the toddler to play quietly by himself. Lucky you. :D

2. How much does your k'er really get from it? No matter what I read to dd, if it's beyond picture books (novels, nonfiction, etc.), she either isn't paying attention or she isn't understanding. She would happily let me read to her all day, but she honestly doesn't get anything out of it aside from cozy time with mom (which is fine, but it seems like other kids are getting something out of it in addition to cuddle time). I try to ask her questions after we read something--not to test her or anything but just to talk about what we read--and she literally has NO CLUE what I was just reading. So sometimes I'll re-read a passage or sentence and ask her about that little passage specifically, and she still has no clue. Aaaaaaah!

Then don't do all that reading aloud, except for warm, fuzzy moments reading from picture books, and don't try to elicit information from her after you read. It will be fine. My guess is that she probably gets more than you think she does, but she just hasn't learned how to regurgitate it yet. She's just 5. :)

So I guess I'm wondering either WHY people read aloud so much if their kids don't understand anything at all, or why my kid specifically isn't understanding anything at all.

See my comments above. :)

The types of things I've tried reading to her are things like Alice in Wonderland, Winnie the Pooh, Beatrix Potter stories without pictures, etc.

And you should read those. But you should read them for enjoyment. Would *you* want to be quizzed after you read a good book? No, of course not. Just read.

I should also add that we have a lot of shorter stories (like Uncle Wiggly and various picture books on audio) as audio books. She LOVES those and wants to listen to them all the time. She memorizes them and totally understands what is going on (like, she asks cute little questions about why a character did something or she retells the story or acts it out). She also retains a lot of content from any movie she watches, like Magic School Bus and the like. Do you think maybe the longer stories are overwhelming? Or just that maybe she needs a lot of repetition? Or does she just hate my voice? :confused:

No, I think you're making it harder than it is. You've read some wonderful books to her; keep on doing that, but just read. Don't try to make it into School.

No, I think you're making it harder than it is. You've read some wonderful books to her; keep on doing that, but just read. Don't try to make it into School.

:iagree: and want to expand upon Ellie's wise words.

With little ones under foot your reading time is going to be limited. Bedtime is of course perfect for picture books or if she wants, a chapter book. Audio books are wonderful because the reader's voice never gets tired, and the reader never gets bored of reading the same story over and over. And it can be listened to in a room separate from the talkative toddler, and it can be listened to while drawing or playing with toys. You don't need to feel pressured into doing more than that at this point in time. You have years of read alouds ahead of you, years when your toddler will be ready to listen, too.

Be patient and let your dd start to tell you about books in her own time. Sounds like she is already, just not when you are asking or about the titles you want to talk about! Narration is a skill that comes with maturity -- there is no rush. Narrations - retelling part of story -- also should be modeled. You can just casually mention how much you love a character or an event in the story, or how much something makes you laugh or feel sad or scared. Put it out there, if she responds then talk some more, but drop it if you don't really get a response.

Reading aloud to a 5 year old is about building a warm association with books. It is also about your child absorbing the structure of formal language, of building vocabulary. Sometimes kids listen even when it seems they are not -- it can just be background noise for them. But stick with it, stick with books and topics they love, let them pick the books from a pile, share your enthusiasm for your favorite books.

And most important of all, keep YOUR down time during the day safe from guilt and distractions!! You need sanity more than your dd needs extra read aloud time!!!

I have a Ker and a 20 month old - I find the easiest time to read aloud to the Ker is during bath time (and yes the water often becomes cold because we read too long) because the toddler is then busy enough playing with bath toys to not interrupt. Giving the toddler her own time for books also helps and I also read to her first before bed time and then read to the elder.

I do not explain everything to my Ker - if she asks what a word means then I tell her and I may explain one or two other things but usually we just read. I find relating something in the book to our real life also helps her comprehension a lot. The other thing I have found is that comprehension often only shows itself much later - my DD will sometimes talk about something we read or draw a picture about it days and sometimes even weeks after reading and only then will I know she took it in.

However, reading is for enjoyment at this age and if my DD is not understanding it and not enjoying it then we stop and try again later. There are so many classics and so many good books (both picture and chapter books) that I feel I should choose something that works. There does seem to be a push to get Kers to listen to chapter books (which is easy to say as my Ker is listening to them), but there are many really excellent picture books and if this is what your Ker prefers and gets more out of them then choose these - she's only small for a short while and will get into chapter books soon.

Here is my experience: Both of my girls learned to read with 100 Easy Lessons. I read a chapter from a book that was just beyond their reading level 3 to 4 times a week.

With my dd12 she read to herself most of the time. I read a couple of really good books to her until she was about 9. I started reading books to her that she wouldn't read herself until she was hooked and then she would take over. She is 12 and would kill me if I suggested that I read to her. She reads the same books that I do now. We can't keep up with her reading habit now. lol! She loves audiobooks. Does that count?:tongue_smilie:

My dd7 reads to herself as well. She has high functioning autism so I read with her a lot just to help her with the social aspect of the stories. If the book is about science or math she reads it by herself no problem.

We do sotw on audiobook and I read to dd7 from wwe and fll. That's about it. I read age appropriate books to them before they know how to read. I know a lot of people do a lot of read alouds but not everyone does.

My girls test off the charts for LA and I didn't do years of phonics or read alouds. Gasp!

Start with less ambitious books :001_huh::D My 6 yo would not listen to those you mentioned yet.

I save chapter books for my DD till bedtime or lunchtime - the other two will listen quietly if they have food to keep them quiet and occupied :D

My 5yo doesn't listen perfectly to chapter books either -my 6yo is just getting good at it.

When I ask them to narrate for me - strangely enough my 5yo does an excellent job but my 6yo has a lot of trouble. I don't think it is her comprehension - she just has more trouble expressing herself then my DS. I think some children can narrate easily (my DS also taught himself to read while my DD needed many lessons) and most children need to be taught explicitly.

When I first started narrations my DD was all "I don't know -I don't remember" etc but that wasn't true -she just didn't know what I was asking of her to say. Once she listened to her brother a few times and I guided her by asking questions she got better at it. She still isn't great and needs prompting - my DS can almost repeat the story word for word :D

Some kids are just not natural auditory learners - and have to be trained into it.

She sounds perfectly normal for 5.

Oh and I just wanted to mention that some kids freeze up when asked a direct question (my DD does). Try and make it sound more conversational such as "I really liked this and this part because.... did you like it too? Why or why not?" Don't just ask - so can you tell me what the story was about :001_smile:

Start with less ambitious books :001_huh::D My 6 yo would not listen to those you mentioned yet.

:iagree:

I would try something a little more user friendly like Charlotte's Web or Mouse and the Motorcycle or even Magic Tree House. My DS has good listening and narration skills for his age and we struggled with the classics like Pooh and The Jungle Book and Alice and Wonderland. They work much better as audio books here as well.

I would also try to get a feel for your child's interests. DS absolutely loves mysteries and talking animal stories so I try to find books that work.

I also agree about not turning it into school. In an adventure novel I might say something like "How would you get out of this situation?" but I don't ask for a full narration.

I can't help with having a little one, but we do most of our chapter book reading at meal times. I prefer to eat my breakfast and lunch after my son anyway because its more relaxing, so reading at breakfast and lunch is easy for us.

Also, there's absolutely nothing wrong with doing mostly picture books! I actually think too many people rush into the chapter book stage. There are lots of gorgeous and complex picture books out there and I really try to set aside time for at least a few picture books every day.

I mostly use picture books for my K'er. We also do Uncle Wiggly, which is pushing it a bit but doable. We used a nice illustrated version of Winnie the Pooh this year. I'm not reading War and Peace. :D

My toddler likes short picture books, and we've slowly worked up to reading chapter books to everyone while younger kids stay quiet. No, my K'er doesn't understand the chapter books yet, but he is hearing language higher than his own, and that is very helpful. I read chapter books for my 8 year old (and he didn't really understand them until age 7 when listening).

So when I say to read aloud to a K'er, I mean picture books that they understand and are interested in. My K'er would have me read picture books to him all day if I'd let him!

:iagree: My opinion from reading these forums is that picture books aren't given near the weight they should be. My K & under crowd only listen to picture books. I do read chapter books since I have older kids, but the K & under crowd just aren't ready for them. That's OK because picture books are equally enriching as chapter books. Not only does my 10yo crowd around the couch when I read her favorite picture books, but she will read picture books to herself. Her favorite picture book author is Patricia Polacco, whose books have up to a 5th grade reading level.

Since I read picture books to my littles, I can easily read to them together. Sure, the younger ones are up and down and all around, but even my nearly-2yo will sit in my lap to see pictures of animals in picture books.

We read a mix of chapter books and picture books. My 4 yr old MUCH prefers picture books (and even some board books), and I think that that is age-appropriate and I have no problem with it.

The 4 yo will also sit through our chapter book reading (right now it's Little House on the Prairie) and I don't ask anything of her. No narration, no nothing. She just likes being included and she'll usually play with putty in her hand or a small toy on the couch. My oldest is 1st grade and she could listen to me read all day.... but I can only handle 1-2 chapters out loud at a time! I don't have that much stamina!

Since both of my girls are non-readers, everything is a read-aloud. :p When we make our weekly trip to the library, I let them pick whatever they want (I do peek through to make sure it's appropriate). And we do very little narration during our pleasure reading. Oldest DD usually picks non-fiction animal books, youngest DD usually something with a catchy-looking cover. :) Not to be cliched, but IMO, it's all good.

Great ways to read aloud:

bath time

swinging

during breakfast or lunch

bed time

coloring/painting/chalk

playing in the sand

play dough time

let them cut paper

building blocks/duplo/lego

What to read:

Anything they will listen to. If you find a book is not catching her attention then change it. Books with short chapters are great for this age. Also rereading books she is interested is acceptable. If you want her to listen to books with more meat get them on audio and play them in the car. Do not think a picture book is not worthy of a read aloud, there are some wonderful stories out there that are in picture books.

Seconding much of the advice given so far. Read more picture books. Don't overthink it. Videos and audiobooks are good too.

Sometimes now, a couple years later, I look back at the 5 and 6 yo read alouds and am occasionally dismayed that they don't remember a thing about a few of them. But the important thing was that they listened, enjoyed at the time, had games inspired by the stories, cuddled with me and dh, and learned how to listen to a story and understand the elements of it. And some of them they do remember quite well.

I read these replies and I know this stuff. I do. I think this is yet another instance where I was doing just fine on my own and then got to reading some thread that made me feel like I should be doing something else, and then I asked about it and everyone pointed out that what I was doing before is just fine. I love these forums and they have helped me so much(!), but somehow I need to figure out how to filter the things i read. This being my first child (poor thing), I think I am having a hard time gauging what is important, how much, etc. Sometimes I wonder if I would actually be better off staying away from the boards, but then I think of all the wisdom I've gleaned from reading them. There's a balance that I need to find somewhere.

I especially appreciate the wisdom of you homeschooling veterans. I've yet to see a veteran say that they pushed rigor with their littles and were glad about it. Veteran homeschoolers seem to offer the same advice for littles, and I just need to remember that.

I have frequently defended the value of picture books, even over chapter books, for little kids. I love picture books. They often have richer vocabulary and very sophisticated, yet accessible, themes. I do know that. And I know that my main goal right now is for her to love books, which she really, really does. Our walls our lined with tall bookcases--reading is a big deal at our house. Fundamentally, I believe that, coupled with pleasure reading, will turn out readers in my children. When I'm looking at the big picture, I'm better at realizing all the things people have pointed out. But when I get caught up in details, everything gets muddled. It doesn't help that dh definitely favors a more rigorous approach, so he introduces doubts into my mind, too.

I need a concise, wise maxim to print out and frame on my wall to remind me to KEEP IT SIMPLE AND ENJOYABLE. Any ideas?

My wiggle worm 5yo is not ready for chapter books. We read aloud our FIAR book during "school time" and then we read aloud 4 picture books (on average--mom chooses one, each kid chooses one) after lunch, before rest time. Daddy reads them the bible story book before bed. Occasionally one of mine will bring me another book that they want to hear, but in general, we read at those times. I find it to be enough, for now.

My wiggle worm 5yo is not ready for chapter books. We read aloud our FIAR book during "school time" and then we read aloud 4 picture books (on average--mom chooses one, each kid chooses one) after lunch, before rest time. Daddy reads them the bible story book before bed. Occasionally one of mine will bring me another book that they want to hear, but in general, we read at those times. I find it to be enough, for now.

This sounds pretty similar to how much we read.

She's probably getting a lot more out of it than you think. My 4 y/o DD can remember the overall story and a lot of the details from Charlotte's Web and The Trumpet of the Swan, which we read when she was 3. We were reading them mainly for our older DD. At the time it seemed like the younger one was sitting in but not really listening or retaining anything. When we asked her VERY basic questions, she had no idea how to answer. We realize now that she just didn't know how to talk about what we had read. It's also useful to read chapter books more than once, especially at the beginning. Following a long story without pictures is a new skill. We read our first chapter book three times in a row.

Each kid is different, ds easily listened to chapter books at 5. Dd5 has a hard time and she just listens to picture books and then usually goes off to play when I start on a chapter book. My dd5 and dd2.75 play together when they get bored of listening. Both of them can listen for a long time though with picture books. When dd2 was a baby I would just hold her or she would play in the floor while I read. I read a ton with her nursing, especially as newborns nurse a lot. Then dd1 would play while I nursed and read. I read about an hr or so straight starting when ds was 5(dd1 was 2y7m starting that year and then dd2 was born a few months into the year). We would alternate with different kinds of picture books, nursery rhymes etc as needed, with some geared to each of them. Now dd2.75 gets to pick her own books out as well. She doesn't always have the attention span for the whole thing but that is ok.

Edited by soror

Just wanted to add some recomendations :001_smile:

My DD was not interested in Chapter books at all until I pulled out The Faraway Tree books by Enid Blyton - that got her hooked.

Then we read a bunch of those horrible Rainbow Fairies books (thank goodness she can read those herself now) :lol:

Then we started the Magic Treehouse books -which got my DS 5 interested in Chapter books.

My favourite recomendation for starting out is the Boxcar Children series. Easy and fun - even my 3yo listens to this and asks for more and can tell me the story line.

Have fun.

I teach reading and literature as 2 different subjects. Reading is a skill. Literature is an art. I don't even teach literature as a content subject, but fully as an art. To enjoy art, you don't always need to understand it.

Most of the time I do not teach much content either, if I see a student acquiring it on her own, so that I can focus more on skills. If I do need to teach content, it's with short sentences and explicit vocabulary instruction, and very strategic. I seldom use literature to TEACH content, to a student struggling to infer, and if I do, it's usually picture books. Lately I've been writing my own copywork for content with a student who I think needs it desperately. Sometimes easy picture books, and sometimes just a few pictures from a picture book and none of the text.

I leave out a book basket of suggested nonfiction and DVDs for a student to pick from, that I hope they will learn some content from, but I don't TEACH it or quiz in any way.

I believe all people need attention to their mind, body and soul. I believe literature is for the soul, not the mind. I never quiz art. We evaluate the QUALITY of it a bit, but not much. If it's feeding the soul, it's doing it's job. To quiz literature, is like using a screw driver as a hammer, to me. It's trying to use it as a tool to do something it wasn't designed to do. Yes content and even skills sometimes leak over from our time pursuing the quenching of our parched souls with art, but that's not the GOAL.

Oh and as for Winnie the Pooh, I am severely editing my copy before reading it aloud. I cross out whole sections, that distract from the main plot, and change "Christopher Robin" to the person I am reading to. And I have the dialogue marked so I can be sure to change my voice to increase comprehension.

Most kids listening level is 2 grades above reading level. In that case she should be able to comprehend stories at a 2nd grade level- I think the books you listed are higher than that. Think early chapter books like the Little House early readers, Magic Treehouse, etc. to get her started listening and then transition into longer stories. My 2 cents. :)

To encourage you, I had wondered the same thing as I have very active 4, 3 and 1 year old, and here is what I did.

First, I got an audio book of short stories to grab their attention that was silly and filled with animals (Just So Stories by Kipling) that still fit into a classical genre. Then I took a suggestion from another person to play the book when they were a captured audience, and thus began listening to audio books in the car. At first I thought they were not even listening as you could here lots of chatter back there, but I decided to try for at least a month (21 days to make it habit so I read).

Within the first week, they would give me a glimpse of hope by requesting to hear specific stories about the elephant or the crocodile. Now it gets very quiet in the car as they listen to their stories ("The Tales of Peter Rabbit," "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" and "Alice in Wonderland" are just a few that we have listen to in the car).

After one month of listening to audio books in the car, I was able to begin chapter books or books like "The Blue Fairy" before bedtime. I allow them one toy to play with and as long as they remain quite, I would allow them to stay up to hear the story. What I did notice in the last couple of months is the increase vocabulary.

My three old doesn't demonstrate comprehension of the stories when asked except that she tells very imaginative stories now. I think its just very difficult for a 3 year old to come up with a narration of a story they just heard, but I would recommend giving your own narration and walking her through it. I think however while they haven't gained the skills to demonstrate comprehension I strongly believe they do comprehend a lot more than we believe at age 3.

I also want to say that while they might be able to remember a few years later about the book, I can guarantee that if they picked up the book it will have a familiarity to it which will allow them to dig deeper into the book.

The audio books also have increased my children's desire to sit down and read books more and more, and I want you to know I have those kids that people look at and think "um, where do they get all that energy from?" (I also require my children to run laps with me in the morning as I found it necessary to give them a structured environment to release their energy in order to maintain my sanity for the rest of the day...they love to run by the way.)

Also try different ways to read books. The other day I started using this site (www.wegivebooks.org) and it excited my kids to read so much that I swear we read 10 books in a row. (very exhausting for me but they loved it). Since then we have been reading several of their 150 books every day. Its quite exciting to see their enthusiasm grow all from just being able to read a book online. Quality books on their site too.

It is possible to change your kids attitudes towards things. I am proof. You just have to be very intentional, and remove any "noise" that might be curbing the enthusiasm or competing with it. Good luck and don't doubt your child's comprehension. Toddlers are very intelligent. :)

I don't read things my kids don't understand. I just can't do it.

Some students adore how language sounds, even if they don't comprehend it well. I have a student like that. I believe she has the right to experience the opportunity to HEAR the words that she finds so delightful, and also to participate in stories that others are engaging with.

I never use content books that are above her comprehension level though. I know what you mean about "just can't do that". I have better things to do with my time than to pretend to teach. I have been unable to find a world history text with the reading level low enough, so have to write all my own stuff and resort to teaching more American history than I originally intended to.

But literature, I read above grade level IF the student enjoys it.

Not to be a downer, but my 8yo doesn't remember the books I read aloud when he was under 6yo. I am sure he benefitted in some way, but I'm still disappointed. He does remember the picture books we read at that age.

I am wondering if I will be retreading the same books two or three times. :tongue_smilie:

Not to be a downer, but my 8yo doesn't remember the books I read aloud when he was under 6yo. I am sure he benefitted in some way, but I'm still disappointed. He does remember the picture books we read at that age.

I am wondering if I will be retreading the same books two or three times. :tongue_smilie:

Well, I'm certainly hoping our books get read again....but by my child. :p We are reading the Little House series right now, but I would love it if they were to read it again later! (Just please don't ask ME to read it all again. :D :D)

Yep. I read Detectives in Togas when DS1 was 6. A year later, I assigned it for him to read with his history, and he had absolutely no recollection of me ever reading it to him. Even once he got into reading it, he didn't remember the end or anything.

Note that he wasn't ready for that advanced a read-aloud at age 6. :tongue_smilie:

Rereading and reareading and rereading books is an important part of childhood. In the past when books were so less affordable, parents chose books specifically for their rereadability.

Literature is an art. We hang a picture on our walls and look at it every day. It becomes a part of our lives. Books should also become part of our lives, and that means reading them more than once.

Oh and as for Winnie the Pooh, I am severely editing my copy before reading it aloud. I cross out whole sections, that distract from the main plot, and change "Christopher Robin" to the person I am reading to. And I have the dialogue marked so I can be sure to change my voice to increase comprehension.

Oh, yeah. I definitely edit as I go. DH has complained about this one, too. Too many asides and little comments that make little sense to adult readers, not to mention little kids.

Some students adore how language sounds, even if they don't comprehend it well. I have a student like that. I believe she has the right to experience the opportunity to HEAR the words that she finds so delightful, and also to participate in stories that others are engaging with.

I never use content books that are above her comprehension level though. I know what you mean about "just can't do that". I have better things to do with my time than to pretend to teach. I have been unable to find a world history text with the reading level low enough, so have to write all my own stuff and resort to teaching more American history than I originally intended to.

But literature, I read above grade level IF the student enjoys it.

I think dd is certainly one of those students who just likes how language sounds. When you put it this way, it makes me less frustrated with the lack of comprehension (or at least, the inability to express comprehension). Makes me feel less like I'm just reading to myself.

Oh, yeah. I definitely edit as I go. DH has complained about this one, too. Too many asides and little comments that make little sense to adult readers, not to mention little kids.

I hated reading Winnie the Pooh. Strangely, DS2 (who tends to have issues with language) loved it and kept asking me to read more. :001_huh: I guess it spoke his language? I dunno. :D

We're big on readalouds around here, but I make sure that, for now, I'm reading books to dd that use the same language she's used to. Winnie the Pooh is too dense for most Kers, as is Alice in Wonderland. So far this year we've done My Father's Dragon, James and the Giant Peach, Nim's Island, Dealing with Dragons, and Little House in the Big Woods, and they were all hits.

With my dd, I usually ask her at the end of a chapter, "What was your favorite part?" And when we start up our reading for the day, I'll ask her, "Do you remember what happened so far?" That way, I know she's getting it, and I can tell if a book is a bit over her head and she needs some help understanding parts.

I haven't read most of the comments, but wanted to say, that I feel much like the original poster. My kids are 6, 5, 4, and 3. Needless to say, there's not a whole lot of retention going on here.

Nevertheless, we are sticking it out and doing mostly audiobooks. Why audiobooks? Well, my day is already pretty full, and adding read-alouds meant more "pressure" to get everything done, which meant reading aloud usually fell by the wayside. I can put the audiobook on during lunch and enjoy the respite of numerous children clamoring and talking and gabbing and fighting (because talking is not aloud during a read aloud).

Also, when my children would interrupt during MY read-alouds, I would have to stop what I was doing, redirect, recover the rest of the children that would start to wander while I was redirecting, and THEN try and get back into the novel.

If a child interrupts during the audiobook, it keeps playing while I deal with the child! The rest of the kids continue to listen! Magic!

And finally, the audiobooks do such a great job of having different "voices." I....do not.

Now...I have found that my children listen much better depending on who is doing the reading. We did Alice in Wonderland and they were lost...the British accent was hard for them to understand. The reader in Mary Poppins read WAY too quickly, combined with her british accent, again, it was too hard for them to understand.

We're reading Black Beauty now, and although the reader has a British accent, she is much more understandable...and the kids are listening.

Anyways, we're still finding our way, finding the differences between narrators and storylines and whatnot. Next we're going to read The Call of the Wild and I hope the narrator is good, because that's my all-time favorite novel and I want my kids to love it...lol.

I haven't read most of the comments, but wanted to say, that I feel much like the original poster. My kids are 6, 5, 4, and 3. Needless to say, there's not a whole lot of retention going on here.

Nevertheless, we are sticking it out and doing mostly audiobooks. Why audiobooks? Well, my day is already pretty full, and adding read-alouds meant more "pressure" to get everything done, which meant reading aloud usually fell by the wayside. I can put the audiobook on during lunch and enjoy the respite of numerous children clamoring and talking and gabbing and fighting (because talking is not aloud during a read aloud).

Also, when my children would interrupt during MY read-alouds, I would have to stop what I was doing, redirect, recover the rest of the children that would start to wander while I was redirecting, and THEN try and get back into the novel.

If a child interrupts during the audiobook, it keeps playing while I deal with the child! The rest of the kids continue to listen! Magic!

And finally, the audiobooks do such a great job of having different "voices." I....do not.

Now...I have found that my children listen much better depending on who is doing the reading. We did Alice in Wonderland and they were lost...the British accent was hard for them to understand. The reader in Mary Poppins read WAY too quickly, combined with her british accent, again, it was too hard for them to understand.

We're reading Black Beauty now, and although the reader has a British accent, she is much more understandable...and the kids are listening.

Anyways, we're still finding our way, finding the differences between narrators and storylines and whatnot. Next we're going to read The Call of the Wild and I hope the narrator is good, because that's my all-time favorite novel and I want my kids to love it...lol.

I am wondering if I will be retreading the same books two or three times.

The quote above is really the reason why I agree wholeheartedly with the quote below:

I don't read things my kids don't understand. I just can't do it.

Because for many of these books I am NOT willing to read them aloud again (AND I am an avid re-reader too! ). It amazes me when I read of people reading the same chapter book aloud over and over - there are very few books that I have read aloud to DD9 that I will even be willing to read aloud to DD3 :tongue_smilie:(although maybe I will have forgotten them enough by the time she is old enough)

The quote above is really the reason why I agree wholeheartedly with the quote below:

Because for many of these books I am NOT willing to read them aloud again (AND I am an avid re-reader too! ). It amazes me when I read of people reading the same chapter book aloud over and over - there are very few books that I have read aloud to DD9 that I will even be willing to read aloud to DD3 :tongue_smilie:(although maybe I will have forgotten them enough by the time she is old enough)

This is exactly my concern and exactly why I'm not reading things they don't understand yet. I've read a ton of books that the older two remember. But what about the next three? Am I doomed to rereading again and again?

I think audio books may be just the ticket, for all the reasons you stated.

I think dd is certainly one of those students who just likes how language sounds. When you put it this way, it makes me less frustrated with the lack of comprehension (or at least, the inability to express comprehension). Makes me feel less like I'm just reading to myself.

It's like poetry. There is much to be said for the language. It not always about the content.

Also when being read to over our heads, it's like immersion into a foreign language. We are learning LANGUAGE more than content.

I have a student who enjoys books about 12 years above her comprehension level. It's not a waste to read to her. I also use audio books with her.

I used to be a VERY conservative Christian when I was younger. I used the KJV Bible with very young children as their primary literature books. I've learned the MANY benefits of children hearing text WAY above their reading level, and how to help them understand at least some of the content.

If you know the story you might want to draw a plot map of the chapter and go over it with her before you start reading, and go over the map while reading, and a 3rd time when finished. There are all sorts of Bible study methods you can apply to other literature. Stick figure drawing and felt boards are very helpful.

But for the student who loves the sound of well written text, it really is okay to just let them bathe in it. Nowadays we are so results orientated, we forget to nurture ourselves and enjoy ourselves. Our children/students have souls.

Edited by Hunter