Menu

And another question: If you're "late"...

IYKWIM! What do you do? Five pregnancy tests have been negative. I'm 3 weeks late and have no signs of anything either way. It's just...absent. Is this something that should go to the doctor? Do I just wait it out until it arrives, whenever it does? I'm 38, so I'm thinking this is the time when wonkiness starts to happen, but DH is worried that something else might be wrong and wants me to go in.

Is there a standard protocol here? Thanks!

I would go in. I'm not trying to scare you, but when mine was late like that, it was because my body was trying to pass a kidney stone. I'm NOT saying that's what your issue is, but the body can go into a "mode" of sorts if it is struggling with something, so I would just get checked over.

I would go in. I'm not trying to scare you, but when mine was late like that, it was because my body was trying to pass a kidney stone. I'm NOT saying that's what your issue is, but the body can go into a "mode" of sorts if it is struggling with something, so I would just get checked over.

Seriously?!!! I have a kidney stone stuck in my ureter :glare: I have never heard that before and I would never have guessed the two would be connected. Thanks for saying that.

Ovulation can be suppressed for a variety of reasons, high stress, travel, weight issues, etc. Which would then cause your period to be late.

You could go to the dr, but make sure you have things charted, otherwise I've found that they say, "go home keep a record for a few months and then come back:.

Ovulation can be suppressed for a variety of reasons, high stress, travel, weight issues, etc. Which would then cause your period to be late.

You could go to the dr, but make sure you have things charted, otherwise I've found that they say, "go home keep a record for a few months and then come back:.

Well, that's what's odd, is that nothing is different this month compared with any other month in the past year. There's really no pinpointable thing that might be the cause. And what can my doc really test for? I recently had a CT scan for the kidney stone, so I'll bring that CD in so she can have a look at my insides, I guess.

But I'll go ahead and make the appointment anyway. One never knows. I do know my general pattern and when my last period was, etc. Maybe that will help. DH knows two women who are fighting ovarian cancer, so he's especially concerned. We've entered that stage of life where the older people in our (and our friends') lives are are being diagnosed with various cancers. It's only a matter of time before we're in that generation ourselves :( I'm not looking forward to it.

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone.

When did you ovulate? I always know when my period is due because I know the day I ovulate due to my body's signs. One of mine happens to be feeling like my ovary is going to explode out of my body and I have a hard time walking. I actually have to take Motrin.

Knowing when you ovulate (not by counting days but by actual physical signs) is indispensable to knowing when something is off and you should head to the doctor.

Personally, I would wait. You're already 3 weeks late. Why not wait another week or two, and then if you've missed twice, go in.

:iagree: I called the Ob's nurse line when I was 4 weeks late (with repeated neg. pg tests), she said that they would want to see me if I missed 2 or if I had anything out of the usual happen.

When did you ovulate? I always know when my period is due because I know the day I ovulate due to my body's signs. One of mine happens to be feeling like my ovary is going to explode out of my body and I have a hard time walking. I actually have to take Motrin.

Knowing when you ovulate (not by counting days but by actual physical signs) is indispensable to knowing when something is off and you should head to the doctor.

:iagree: This.

You don't know if you're actually "late" if you don't know when/if you've actually ovulated. If you think you're reaching pre-menapaus, then it would be normal for you to not ovulate occasionally and 'miss' a period.

I wouldn't go in to the doctor for one missed period. I can't even imagine what they would do...

Personally, I would wait. You're already 3 weeks late. Why not wait another week or two, and then if you've missed twice, go in.

:iagree: Especially since you're trying to pass a kidney stone. I don't think it's surprising that your cycle is off at all.

If you know for sure you're having a health issue, and you in no way feel pregnant (and you did with the others), I might wait. Illness can delay ovulation, especially if you have a family history of early menopause.

Has the kidney stone been confirmed by ultrasound, or are you just having pain and a history? If it hasn't been medically confirmed and you're having pain, I would suspect ectopic pregnancy and go to the doctor just to be sure.

I wouldn't go in to the doctor for one missed period. I can't even imagine what they would do...

This is kind of how I'm feeling. Frankly, it would take me several days to get in anyway, so I might as well wait until it's officially official.

If you know for sure you're having a health issue, and you in no way feel pregnant (and you did with the others), I might wait. Illness can delay ovulation, especially if you have a family history of early menopause.

Has the kidney stone been confirmed by ultrasound, or are you just having pain and a history? If it hasn't been medically confirmed and you're having pain, I would suspect ectopic pregnancy and go to the doctor just to be sure.

The kidney stone has been confirmed via CT scan. It's currently stuck in my ureter and had started its travels with a spectacular send-off two days before my last period began :glare: Since then, I've been having kidney pain off and on (and have been through the wringer over the last week), so I guess that could very well have caused a missed ovulation (thanks, Kleine Hexe). I'd had pain from that stone prior to that last period, although I guess not as major. I've been dealing with kidney stone issues off and on for a year now (this is my second stone), so it just never occurred to me that this round could be big enough to throw my cycle off.

I have no idea whether or not I ovulated. I don't look for the physical signs anymore, since we use other methods to prevent pregnancy. I guess I'd better re-familiarize myself with them!

I would just wait. I'm only 34, almost 35, and I think perimenopause is already starting with me, which means weird periods for what seems like no reason. Last month my period was 2.5 weeks late, and as soon as I bought tests it showed up like normal. That has been happening more and more lately, stretching out longer and longer.

Go in to reassure everyone, but be prepared to be told to just track your cycles for a few months and come back if you have any other symptoms. I went in recently because a period lasted too long. They checked everything, but warned me that, at 40, everything goes. I'd JUST turned 40 so I was not amused.

I'm 43, so I just attributed some of my period wonkiness to perimenopause, but when questioned by the doctors about some things right before my surgery, it appears that some of that wonkiness may have actually been symptoms.

Since you have a kidney stone, I'd be likely to agree that that could be affecting you. Start keeping track of your cycle and go in if things don't soon get back to normal.