Menu

Anyone Else Reading The Casual Vacancy?

Not yet but I really want to know if it's good.

But. :confused: Is the language really bad?

Yes. It's bad. I can't say yet if I think the book is good. I still love her descriptions and her vivid and accurate characterizations, but boy, did she ever go far to establish who the low-class, "bad" people are in the story.

I'm not reading the book, but I just have to say, I hate the gratuitous use of "blue" language in any book :glare:. Is it somehow proof that you're writing a grown-up book? If anyone actually used the type of language I've seen in some modern literature while speaking to me, my respect meter would be ticking downward. I'm also not a prude.

How's the book, otherwise? :bigear:

I'm not reading the book, but I just have to say, I hate the gratuitous use of "blue" language in any book :glare:. Is it somehow proof that you're writing a grown-up book? If anyone actually used the type of language I've seen in some modern literature while speaking to me, my respect meter would be ticking downward. I'm also not a prude.

How's the book, otherwise? :bigear:

I'm sure it's difficult when you've already been an uber-superstar in children's fiction, to move along and write something totally different and set for adults.

The book feels slow-to-start somewhat, but we'll see; I haven't read very far into it yet. The story line, the motive for people to feel the way they do does ring very true; JKR's ability to depict characters is absolutely delightful to me.

Here's my updated thoughts on the book, if anyone else is still following or interested:

I have now read about 77% of the book. I still find the language and some of the subject matter really hard to take. I'm just not a big fan of intense language and severe subject matter.

On the upside, I have gotten absorbed into the story-line. I still really admire JKR's ability to characterize people. They are so vivid in my mind now, it's truly as if I know them.

If JKR had not had the dumb luck of becoming a superstar through an children's fiction series, she may have become a superstar adult literary fiction writer. In the later HP books, you can certainly glimpse her attraction to dark humor. If anyone else was very disturbed by Voldemort's horcrux imagery as a mutilated baby, you will know what I mean. The Casual Vacancy has more of that type of dark imagery.

In some ways, I think JKR is suffering a downside of being an uber-success in the children's fiction genre (if being a billionaire can really have a downside - ;) ). The Casual Vacancy will probably not get the acclaim it might have if people weren't already looking to her to write in a particular genre. I fully admit that it's hard for me to read this book in a separate frame of mind, because I loved the clean story of HP and I'm not really drawn to stories with a ton of angst and filth. But I do think The Casual Vacancy has great literary merit for people who don't mind the subject matter. Her writing is still amazing to me.

Here's my updated thoughts on the book, if anyone else is still following or interested:

I have now read about 77% of the book. I still find the language and some of the subject matter really hard to take. I'm just not a big fan of intense language and severe subject matter.

On the upside, I have gotten absorbed into the story-line. I still really admire JKR's ability to characterize people. They are so vivid in my mind now, it's truly as if I know them.

If JKR had not had the dumb luck of becoming a superstar through an children's fiction series, she may have become a superstar adult literary fiction writer. In the later HP books, you can certainly glimpse her attraction to dark humor. If anyone else was very disturbed by Voldemort's horcrux imagery as a mutilated baby, you will know what I mean. The Casual Vacancy has more of that type of dark imagery.

In some ways, I think JKR is suffering a downside of being an uber-success in the children's fiction genre (if being a billionaire can really have a downside - ;) ). The Casual Vacancy will probably not get the acclaim it might have if people weren't already looking to her to write in a particular genre. I fully admit that it's hard for me to read this book in a separate frame of mind, because I loved the clean story of HP and I'm not really drawn to stories with a ton of angst and filth. But I do think The Casual Vacancy has great literary merit for people who don't mind the subject matter. Her writing is still amazing to me.

Cool. Thanks for the update. I'll probably get it out of the library at some point.

I started it this week. I don't find the language all that extreme.

At first, I was delighted with the way that Rowlings uses short, clever turns of phrase to totally nail characterizations--extremely well done.

The book is quite evocative and believable.

However, now at about 5/8 of the way through it, it has become a bit of a slog. There is no beauty in it, and I find that I don't want to spend this much time in this dark of a community. It's not evil, or gratuitously violent, but rather grayly sad and banal. So the book is striking me as a very well written one that chose a somewhat depressing and banal setting and evokes it all too well.

This could very well change. I'm certainly continuing.

However, now at about 5/8 of the way through it, it has become a bit of a slog. There is no beauty in it, and I find that I don't want to spend this much time in this dark of a community. It's not evil, or gratuitously violent, but rather grayly sad and banal.

:iagree:

Sorry, J.K., but I had to give up the slog. Not a badly written book. I did find the foul language did not add much to the story for me - I kept feeling like the author was saying "I'm writing grown-up stuff now! See - I can use curse words!".

But I just can't keep reading this dreary ugly story. I hate giving up on books, but I don't want to waste my time any more.

The language seems over the top to me. "Look at me! I can $&@$ write for $&@ grown-ups too!" With some of the characters it seems more natural, but in general I don't think it adds anything to the story. It's much darker subject matter than I expected, too. I feel like I'm watching the movie Precious and am almost afraid to keep reading. Real villains seem more evil than fantasy ones. Still, it is well written and I think it's intriguing that Pagford is like a character itself.

Edited by WordGirl

Just finished it. Dark and depressing. The characters become well developed - which is surprising for so many characters. I don't mind a gritty storyline as long as at least one of the characters is likeable. But, in the end no one is.

I need to read reviews now that I'm done. Is she saying this is the human condition? We are all wretched hypocrites. We are incapable of unconditional love - or if we even bother to try, we mess it up horribly. Very depressed. I'll have to choose my next book carefully!

Edited by LNC

You know, I find it interesting that people are shocked by the language in the book. She was a bit spicy with it in the last few HP books. In fact, I was really taking aback when I saw the slang for the f word pop up a couple of times in the final HP book. There were a few other words, but they were used sparsely.

I'm not actually reading CV because I knew the language was going to be pretty intense & I can't stand that. It's just not me & rubs me the wrong way. So maybe, down the road, someday. ;)

As for a slow start, I found that the some of the HP books could be slow until you hit the middle. Yes, there was always action, & I adored the books, BUT I did find some slow. Maybe that's cause there was info in them I was after & it was dragging to get there? ;)

Finished it today, nursing a bad shoulder.

So. My opinion--the quality of writing went downhill in the last third of the book. No more humor, very little clever description except for the very last scenes, miserable people getting worse across the board. It seems like the Rowling wanted to write a message book, and the relentless gray misery was part of the message. It has a 'feel' in that regard that is a bit foreign to me, but is reminescent of the Beatles song 'Lady Madonna'.

If I didn't like this author so much, I would not bother with any books that she writes in the future. As I do, I will read them, but not purchase hardcovers early on. Library is fine.

I finished it earlier in the week. It's still depressingly with me (that and saving the last episode of Sherlock, you'd think I was a masochist). I had no doubt that this was going to be the book she would write. I actually think she might have been tempted to make HP even more dark, but it had gotten all so huge that even at the end, HP wasn't a happy series. Good trumped evil, but the cost was so so high. Even the most complex and brave of characters (Snape) were tragically flawed.

I don't think ACV is a novel she wanted people to love. It wasn't meant to inspire hope. I think Rowling had some demons to let loose that she couldn't in good conscience flesh out in a series that started out for a younger crowd. Though, she did give us a few choice uncomfortable pieces to digest. She just didn't dwell on them.

I finished it earlier in the week. It's still depressingly with me (that and saving the last episode of Sherlock, you'd think I was a masochist). I had no doubt that this was going to be the book she would write. I actually think she might have been tempted to make HP even more dark, but it had gotten all so huge that even at the end, HP wasn't a happy series. Good trumped evil, but the cost was so so high. Even the most complex and brave of characters (Snape) were tragically flawed.

I don't think ACV is a novel she wanted people to love. It wasn't meant to inspire hope. I think Rowling had some demons to let loose that she couldn't in good conscience flesh out in a series that started out for a younger crowd. Though, she did give us a few choice uncomfortable pieces to digest. She just didn't dwell on them.

:iagree: Yes. I think her true style is seen in The Casual Vacancy. This is what she would have done with her HP characters, but she couldn't; she was "trapped" by the genre she began in.

Just finished it. Dark and depressing. The characters become well developed - which is surprising for so many characters. I don't mind a gritty storyline as long as at least one of the characters is likeable. But, in the end no one is.

I need to read reviews now that I'm done. Is she saying this is the human condition? We are all wretched hypocrites. We are incapable of unconditional love - or if we even bother to try, we mess it up horribly. Very depressed. I'll have to choose my next book carefully!

Me, too. I was rooting for Krystal. Or for Simon to change. Or for anyone to grow.

You know, I find it interesting that people are shocked by the language in the book. She was a bit spicy with it in the last few HP books. In fact, I was really taking aback when I saw the slang for the f word pop up a couple of times in the final HP book. There were a few other words, but they were used sparsely.

But there is an incredibly huge difference between having a couple of characters spout "effing" and one character say "bi*ch" vs. the flavor, extremity and constancy of the cussing in this book. One character uses "c______" repeatedly and his son says that's his dad's favorite curse word. I do find that totally shocking. I don't think I have ever seen a character in any book use that word; I view that word as being a part of the po*rn world.

Part of what bothers me about the story and subject matter of this book is that all the now-grown children who grew up loving HP will want to read this book. I do not want my kids to read this book. I'm 'bout ready to just delete it off my Kindle. It's not "beloved children's fiction author writes an adult book now." It's so far removed from HP and the subject matter is SO dark and horrible, I would not want my kids to think about reading this book until they are in their 30's. I'm barely kidding.

I have finished reading it now and there is no redemption. I'm very sad about it. Maybe that is her point - that there is no redemption. Poverty-stricken, addicted, ruined people stay ruined while cozy, comfortable wealthy people just walk on by. :angelsad2:

I have finished reading it now and there is no redemption. I'm very sad about it. Maybe that is her point - that there is no redemption. Poverty-stricken, addicted, ruined people stay ruined while cozy, comfortable wealthy people just walk on by. :angelsad2:

I actually would extend the 'there is no redemption' theme to the wealthy--they were just as miserable as everyone else, with their banal, unfulfilled, hopeless, meaningless, overly obsessive existances.

Or for anyone to grow.

Interesting that you say this, I liked HP a lot but I did always think that the characters never developed. Not every writer can do everything.

Poverty-stricken, addicted, ruined people stay ruined while cozy, comfortable wealthy people just walk on by. :angelsad2:

This is not true. I worked at an adult night shelter prior to having children. I've seen both sides change. I'll admit it's rare but always amazing!

Edited by Candid
chidlern and ' for Mrs. Mungo

One thing to keep in mind - cursing is a lot more common in the UK than in the US.

I agree. I don't think it is AT ALL the case that she feels the need to use cursing as a way to differentiate from HP. I think cursing is much more common in the UK and the language in the book is probably a reflection of that.

:But there is an incredibly huge difference between having a couple of characters spout "effing" and one character say "bi*ch" vs. the flavor, extremity and constancy of the cussing in this book. One character uses "c______" repeatedly and his son says that's his dad's favorite curse word. I do find that totally shocking. I don't think I have ever seen a character in any book use that word; I view that word as being a part of the po*rn world.

It's an extremely common curse word in the UK. I agree that it's shocking in the US. But, she's not from the US. She's from the working class of the UK.

I haven't read the book yet, but I've downloaded it to my Nook. I have a couple of other books to finish before I get to it.

It's interesting that someone compared it to Lady Madonna. I wonder if the book is a reflection of her own life experiences as a young mom on the dole.

It's an extremely common curse word in the UK. I agree that it's shocking in the US. But, she's not from the US. She's from the working class of the UK.

:iagree: Found this a bit surprising the first time I watched a movie from the UK. :tongue_smilie: But it's not a big deal there, at least not any more than someone saying b**** here.

:iagree: Found this a bit surprising the first time I watched a movie from the UK. :tongue_smilie: But it's not a big deal there, at least not any more than someone saying b**** here.

Are we talking about the name for a male chicken? How horrible am I? I've always considered it a "coarse" word, but not swearing :blushing:. I thought everyone was talking about the *other* "c" word, but I don't consider that swearing either. "Ef" is the be all, end all, of swear words. My mom stopped in the middle of the road when my dad accidentally said it in conversation one day :001_huh:. I'm amazed it didn't happen more often since he worked in a state prison!

Apparently, I listened to too much punk rock and watch too much BBC :lol:.

Are we talking about the name for a male chicken? How horrible am I? I've always considered it a "coarse" word, but not swearing :blushing:. I thought everyone was talking about the *other* "c" word, but I don't consider that swearing either. "Ef" is the be all, end all, of swear words. My mom stopped in the middle of the road when my dad accidentally said it in conversation one day :001_huh:. I'm amazed it didn't happen more often since he worked in a state prison!

No. I'm talking about a word that rhymes with "hunt." That word to me is the crudest of crude curse words. I don't think I would even write it in my own journal that will never be seen by anyone. But perhaps that *is* an American attitude. I didn't consider the possibility that that word is pedestrian cussing in the UK.

I was assuming the other c word. But, I agree that both are extremely common swear words in the UK. Like, to c*ck something up? That's like saying, "I screwed that up." It's not even really a swear. It's along the lines of someone in the US saying cr*p. You hear it on regular British TV.

No. I'm talking about a word that rhymes with "hunt." That word to me is the crudest of crude curse words. I don't think I would even write it in my own journal that will never be seen by anyone. But perhaps that *is* an American attitude. I didn't consider the possibility that that word is pedestrian cussing in the UK.

OK, that was the other "c" word in my post. I have no idea why I don't consider it a curse word, but I also find it crude and would never, ever use it.

I have a mental list of swear words and just plain old nasty words, but they're not the same. Odd. I'd never thought about it until this thread.

I actually would extend the 'there is no redemption' theme to the wealthy--they were just as miserable as everyone else, with their banal, unfulfilled, hopeless, meaningless, overly obsessive existances.

Yes, that is what was so depressing about it...

Yes, true. Very astute.

I've been reading more reviews, and I just read an very interesting one. Maybe the "likeable" character I never found was meant to be Barry Fairbrother - (even his name is symbolic of that). However, the reviewer also concludes with "There's not enough redemption in The Casual Vacancy for my taste." I agree...

http://www.booksandculture.com/articles/webexclusives/2012/october/casual-vacancy.html

Edited by LNC

I just finished it. I really liked it. I'm not sure liked it is the right word, some of it was hard to read. But I found it worth reading.

:iagree:

I had a hard time working through it, but I'm glad I did.

The foul language was a turn off to me too, but I skipped over it.

There are a lot of characters to keep straight, and I usually hate books like that. However, once I got them straight, I really enjoyed finding out what happened to them.

It is a depressing book - most of the characters do not make any changes to their pettiness, but a few do and it was worthwhile imo.

If you can get past the language and think you'll enjoy a tangled tale of small town 'I'm from the right side of town and you are not.' England, then give it a try.

I've been reading more reviews, and I just read an very interesting one. Maybe the "likeable" character I never found was meant to be Barry Fairbrother - (even his name is symbolic of that). However, the reviewer also concludes with "There's not enough redemption in The Casual Vacancy for my taste." I agree...

http://www.booksandculture.com/articles/webexclusives/2012/october/casual-vacancy.html

Yeah, JKR never wastes a name. Bury the Fair Brother. The Weed-ons - the ones whom society p*sses on. "Gaia" - Earth Mother - the be-all female. Even "Robbie" probably means something, robbing his sister of her ability to flee.

I'm waiting to get hold of it.

But if the only complaints are that it is dark and there are unladylike words in it, I reckon I'm going to like it. To be honest I would prefer a book that errs on the side of being relentlessly bleak to one that sacrifices realism and characterization to produce that redemptive quality that, let's face it, doesn't always shine through in real life.

As for the language, it's not a huge issue for me if it fits with the overall tone of the book. I actually noticed the artificiality of the lack of coarse language in the Harry Potter books. (As if a room full of teenage boys at an English boarding school would never utter a single rude word, even in life-threatening emergencies!)

Edited by Hotdrink

I'm waiting to get hold of it.

But if the only complaints are that it is dark and there are unladylike words in it, I reckon I'm going to like it. To be honest I would prefer a book that errs on the side of being relentlessly bleak to one that sacrifices realism and characterization to produce that redemptive theme that, let's face it, doesn't always shine through in real life.

Well, then you will have a good ol' time, because it has bleakness in spades! ;)