Menu

Want to join me in "doing the Puyallup" today? What do u think of last min. invites?

I know, I know, last minute invitation. We're planning to be there around 10:30 ish. Let me know if you want to meet us somewhere. Obviously this only applies to those people who know what "doing the Puyallup" even means.;) since otherwise you live too far away!

The second part of my title is for everyone - what do you think of last minute invites? I know that I can't always accept them, but I know that I would do more things with more people if they offered them to me and I felt comfortable offering them to others.

The second part of my title is for everyone - what do you think of last minute invites? I know that I can't always accept them, but I know that I would do more things with more people if they offered them to me and I felt comfortable offering them to others.

I find it hard to accept them. I need a little notice to adjust my expectations for the day. Even if it's the night before, I'm much more likely to accept than when asked on the day of.

When it's just me and my family, we often do things spontaneously (sometimes even big things like driving across the state on the spur of the moment), but for some reason I find it very hard to do that with other people.

I hope you have fun at your event. :)

I am not at all opposed to last minute invites.

I do find, however, I am a little more of a stick in the mud this year when it comes to sticking to schedule. But I do not at all mind a last minute invite and might very well take up the offer.

I simply appreciate the thought too. :)

I, though as I said, more scheduled this year than in the past, am prone to spur of the moment ideas. I'm the one who posts "Headed to starbucks in 30 minutes, who wants to join me?" to my facebook, text or email. Every once in a while someone is game.

Heard on the news that this may be the last year to "Do the Puyallup" as they are going to change the marketing direction.

So this is what gets me in the high school years of homeschooling. My kids take outside classes and even though Thursday is a day we don't have to go anywhere, we have to stay home in order to get the homework done. I miss the elementary years when we could accept fun invites like this.

Have fun! "You can do it at a trot, you can do it at a gallop, you can do it real slow so your heart don't palpitate . . . just don't late . . . do the Puyallup!"

Doing the Puyallup was part of my childhood and I wish we could go! It would take me...a couple of days, so I'm thinking I won't make it by 10:30 AM. :D

Regarding last minute invites, I have no problem with them. If that was the only type of invitation to do stuff that I ever received, I would probably get cranky because I can't always accept them. They're just that: last minute, if you're not doing anything else or desperately need to go to do something right now invites. When I send them, I do NOT expect everyone to accept and am just excited if one person does. We go through phases where we need out more often, and phases (like this one we're in) where we have to stay home and need to make longer term plans.

Honestly, it depends.

Sometimes, last min invites work best, b/c I have no way of knowing what my RSD will be doing at any given moment, and a last min invite I know where I'm at at that moment, if it makes sense.

Plans a wk in advance are tentative, b/c I simply don't know.

Otoh, I don't always have the ability to drop and run.

Honestly, it depends.

Sometimes, last min invites work best, b/c I have no way of knowing what my RSD will be doing at any given moment, and a last min invite I know where I'm at at that moment, if it makes sense.

Plans a wk in advance are tentative, b/c I simply don't know.

Otoh, I don't always have the ability to drop and run.

I'm exactly like you - both on not knowing how my health will be and not being able to always be spontaneous. I've been thinking about going today since Sunday but wasn't sure if I'd be up to it health wise. I didn't even tell the kids we were going until an hour ago because of that.

I have a hard time seeing how anyone could possibly be offended by last minute invites unless the inviting party was offended if I couldn't come, or if inviting me along seemed to be an afterthought (eg. a group activity has been planned for weeks, and it's only mentioned to me at the last minute).

I don't mind a last minute invite. I've extended a few last minute invites.

However, I think they're harder to pull off. I often have to say no to last minute invites, and I expect to hear a no when I extend them. But I'm ok with that.

I much, much prefer calling someone a month (or two) ahead of time and getting something on the calendar. But that's a personal preference.

we love last minute invites. we know whether or not we're busy "right now". we know how we're feeling "right now". we know whether or not we can afford it "right now".

all that said, one of our dds is a planning person, not a possibility person. she was invited spontaneously to go to disneyland one day this week, and turned it down because she had to do school work. could she have done the school work one day on the weekend? mostly, yes. if she'd known a week ahead of time and could have planned it, she'd have gone in a heart beat. but for her, it was more comfortable to stick with what she had "planned".

so in theory we love them. in practice, it can go either way.

fwiw,

ann

My rule for invites is I will (Assuming I can sort of remember, I don't keep notes or anything) invite someone to 3 things. At that point they will have had to come to at least one of those things, or say at some point something along the lines of, "Thanks for the invite, sorry I couldn't make it - but I would appreciate similar invites in the future".

Otherwise it's three strikes and you are off my invite list till you do something to get back on it. (Such as say, "I miss you inviting me to things")

My family tends to fly by the seat of our collective pants, lol! So last minute invites are often accepted and proffered around here. :D

We did the Puyallup on the first Monday when there were some price breaks on some items. We have some younger and special needs dc and they really liked the Rainforest exhibit. Due the younger and special needs, we didn't go to the Bodies exhibit but we did offer it to our older dc. They wanted to stay with the little kids, though. They like "Doing the Puyallup" with them. <3 <3 <3

I hope you all had a great time!

Heard on the news that this may be the last year to "Do the Puyallup" as they are going to change the marketing direction.

Have fun! "You can do it at a trot, you can do it at a gallop, you can do it real slow so your heart don't palpitate . . . just don't late . . . do the Puyallup!"

I was watching a television cooking demo a few years ago and the chef (Rob Feenie, maybe?) was making some kind of seafood stew. As he was cooking, he sang, "You can do it with a clam, you can do it with a scallop...". Cracked me up.