Menu

Towels!!

"Family of 7 drowns in towels. . . "

Yup, that's us. Yesterday's drama led to Mama's towel rage last night.

We have a color-coded system that wasn't working. Everyone just used whatever. BUT with everyone doing their own laundry, why not try it again?

Of course it only took me 3 loads of towels to realize someone is using 2 or 3 each time......

Thankfully they're only showering every 3rd day......but that's another post.

We have:

green, ds 7

yellow, dd 5

pink, dd 11

purple, dd 13

light blue, ds 9

navy blue, DH 40

and the assorted colors of the 20 year old wedding-gift-towels, mine :glare:

I AM going to be getting myself a pretty set/color from JCP. Any color suggestions? White, linen, or Orange? It needs to say, "This is your Momma's towel!" :D

Next time I buy towels I'm buying all white. I wanted to do it 14 years ago when dh and I got married, but let myself be talked out of it. Not this time. White towels.

That's where I am leaning, but I'm worried that they'll get yucky quicker. I suppose bleach would handle that. :001_smile:

I have several fluffy, light green towels that are my favorite. I got them on sale at Kohl's. Other than that, we have an assorted mess of thin/ripped/bleached out towels. Ick. It drives my mom crazy when she comes, even tho she gets the best towels!

Everyone does their own laundry here, but I do towels. There are only 3 of us left at home, but I still do 3 or 4 loads of towels a week.

I promised myself I would grant the luxury of not having to reuse a towel. :D

We have giant white bath sheets. They are large enough to completely cover everything and they are bleachable so they always stay clean. I think I will be moving those to the guest bath soon and getting some light tan or beige ones for my bath as it is gold. I think I could still lightly bleach those colors and they would work ok. My kids have about 15 beach towels that they use. They used to have certain colors for certain kids but now they just use whichever one comes out of the closet. We have to do at least one load of towels per day and more in the summer.

Is it possible for them to keep their towels in their own space? Maybe if it's not easy to grab whatever's right there, it'll help. I know that if i want my ds only using his towels, i have to keep up on my system. He grabs the first towel out of the shower he sees, even if it's dirty! Dd now keeps her towels on a shelf in her room. But there are only 3 of us, so this may not be any help at all!

possibly our family would seem unhygienic to you guys, but we all use the same towel. I use it first (morning shower) then DH, then whoever of the kids that uses that bathroom. It gets washed at the end of the day. Same thing in the other bathroom. The same towel is used by everyone that uses that bathroom that day. I am referring to the bath towel. I have a separate hand towel beside the sink, and it get s changed about twice a day.

Color coded towels for a gaggle of kids is a crazy maker for mom. I don't know how you did it.

I have all different color towels, I wash them all the time in crazy hot water and every once in a while bleach them. I've never had a problem. I have a hamper in the bathroom, when it gets full, I wash it. :D

We have at least 20 bath towels! Maybe more. That was the most popular gift at our wedding. None of them match....I wash towels a few times a week when the hamper is full. We each have a towel. I have a hook, dh has a hook amd the kids currently share a hook. When I do towels I clear the hooks. We may use the same towel for 2-3 days.

I only buy white towels that can be bleached. They do eventually get dingy looking, but it takes several years of constant use. By the time they get dingy looking they're usually ready for the rag pile anyway. For whatever reason, though, I've noticed that washcloths get yucky a lot faster than towels. But they're relatively inexpensive to replace. I can't stand dark colored towels. They give me the heebie jeebies because you can't tell just by looking that they're really, really clean.

We all have our own towel and washcloth, but we use them for two or three days. That's the way both DH and I were raised. I can't imagine the amount of laundry that would be generated if I washed them after every single use.

I sure was glad to see the last 2 posts. I was starting to wonder about me and my family that uses a towel more than once lol. After all, a person is drying off a clean body (we do use seperate towels tho, no 2 people using the same towel)

ps. when my dc were younger, they only took a bath once a week (same as how I was raised). I almost hugged a friend that admitted that her dc also only took one bath a week. I had been starting to feel abby normal..

Edited by Jeannie in NJ

We all have our own towel and washcloth, but we use them for two or three days. That's the way both DH and I were raised. I can't imagine the amount of laundry that would be generated if I washed them after every single use.

This everyone has their own towel. I had 3 children that shared a bathroom. I did use the different color towels. They did not use each others AT ALL.

Each had their own hook to use.

We do use the towels more than once and probably more than 3 times.

my son and I both have bath sheets. Totally love a bath sheet.

I vote that you get the white towels and that everyone else learns their proper towel colors. Check for colorblindness if anyone above toddler age can't find their correct towel.

We each have our own colors for bath towels. That system cut down substancially on how often I needed to wash towels. I wash them with bleach in our high efficiency washer to get them clean, but they've managed to keep their color.

I sure was glad to see the last 2 posts. I was starting to wonder about me and my family that uses a towel more than once lol. After all, a person is drying off a clean body (we do use seperate towels tho, no 2 people using the same towel)

ps. when my dc were younger, they only took a bath once a week (same as how I was raised). I almost hugged a friend that admitted that her dc also only took one bath a week. I had been starting to feel abby normal..

My littles bath as needed. Recently that's daily. But usually it's weekly. :D Depends on the weather and mud. :lol:

I vote that you get the white towels and that everyone else learns their proper towel colors. Check for colorblindness if anyone above toddler age can't find their correct towel.

We each have our own colors for bath towels. That system cut down substancially on how often I needed to wash towels. I wash them with bleach in our high efficiency washer to get them clean, but they've managed to keep their color.

I n t e r e s t i n g thought, color blindness.

I think you're onto something here. I know one of them is....can't remember which, DH is and I need to remember which colors, ......

I think you've given me a solution to a :banghead:. And I know which kid to start with too.

This everyone has their own towel. I had 3 children that shared a bathroom. I did use the different color towels. They did not use each others AT ALL.

Each had their own hook to use.

We do use the towels more than once and probably more than 3 times.

my son and I both have bath sheets. Totally love a bath sheet.

DH has a couple bath sheets. That's his fav. too. I could use a hand towel and be happy.

I n t e r e s t i n g thought, color blindness.

I think you're onto something here. I know one of them is....can't remember which, DH is and I need to remember which colors, ......

I think you've given me a solution to a :banghead:. And I know which kid to start with too.

:)

For the color blind child(ren) you could have names monogrammed onto the towels or pick towels decorated with distinct characters or designs.

That's where I am leaning, but I'm worried that they'll get yucky quicker. I suppose bleach would handle that. :001_smile:

I have always used only white towels, specifically SO I can bleach them if I want to. We use our towels for more than one shower, usually a week or so before we switch to new ones, so I don't have a lot of towel laundry. I use Dollar Tree "Awesome" brand oxi-clean in each load usually, and they are still bright white even after multiple years of use. ;) I only use bleach maybe once every few months or so.

We each have two towels. One to use while the other is washing. They are each white. If you want each person to have his/her own towels for accountability, you can do like I do and just write their initial/name on the tag. They get to use that towel, and only that towel. That's the biggest reason why we only have two towels per person. ;) Another way is to give each child/person their own hook to hang their towel on when they are done with it (if you use towels more than once, that is).

Edited by somo_chickenlady