Menu

Augusta Georgia - would I be in for culture shock much?

Any really serious cultural norms in that area, or advice on how to avoid traditional habits faux pas in that area?

I've been trying to read a bit about it, but not feeling super confident I'm finding authentic voice about it.

Is there anything to be aware of, or is it a generalized blend that's accepting of everyone?

I didn't go into the city much when we lived on Ft. Gordon, but I didn't have too much of an adjustment culturally. A few differences in phrases or words used. Like the city Martinez isn't pronounced like the last name but martin eh suh. Lots of things close for the Masters Tournament.

How much of a culture shock depends on where you're coming from I guess? If you're not southern you can find the tea everywhere with everything a bit overwhelming.

Aiken is horse country. Do you ride or have interest in horses? :001_smile: It is good to note that scientists think Burmese pythons cannot adapt (at this point) to living in a temperate climate such as Aiken. (I'm just glad none of those guys escaped. :svengo:)

And, hey, Augusta has Starbucks :D (as well as every other chain restaurant & store).

(No, I've never lived there, but do pass through sometimes.)

I'm not sure about the Augusta/Aiken area, but if the rest of the South is an indication, there are many people living there that hail from many places.

My combo is definitely not Southern....I'm more a mix of metro Detroit with a hefty dose of northern Michigan out in the woods fend for yourself.

I think we would live over the river in Aiken south carolina.

Oh, man. Go rent "Gone with the Wind". Manners still apply. If someone says "Bless your Heart", they aren't praying for you! "Yes, Ma'am, No Ma'am, Yes sir, and No, sir" are phrases you should practice and teach the kid to use. It's insulting if you don't. Iced tea is good! But drink it w/ a protein..it has a LOT of sugar!

Lol...on the manners... I was reading somewhere that there is an unspoken code to it all..some stuff about not speaking unless spoken to first if it as elder figure etc. I thought man, I'm never gonna make it, I'm a chatterbox and a half.

I looked at the homeschooling codes there and can't quite figure out if it means I'll need to join an association or not. Not going to panic quite yet.

The cost of housing freaks me right out. Way cheap.

Not a horse person at all, but I suppose we could learn to love it to get along. All I can think of is Paula Deen type women..is it common to have to play up on the whole helpless female aura? I've seen that mentioned around. I honestly don't know if that sheer myth or what?

We are in Washington state right now, it's been a bit of an adjustment here.

Lol...on the manners... I was reading somewhere that there is an unspoken code to it all..some stuff about not speaking unless spoken to first if it as elder figure etc. I thought man, I'm never gonna make it, I'm a chatterbox and a half.

I looked at the homeschooling codes there and can't quite figure out if it means I'll need to join an association or not. Not going to panic quite yet.

The cost of housing freaks me right out. Way cheap.

Not a horse person at all, but I suppose we could learn to love it to get along. All I can think of is Paula Deen type women..is it common to have to play up on the whole helpless female aura? I've seen that mentioned around. I honestly don't know if that sheer myth or what?

We are in Washington state right now, it's been a bit of an adjustment here.

Being chatterboxy is fine, imo. Southerners are talkative people, generally speaking, so you'll fit right in. No, no need to play up helpless female. Southern women are strong, imo. Being helpless is a myth for sure.

I don't know hsing codes in SC. I don't think it's super hard or confusing.

Yes, housing is cheap in comparison to much of the country.

Overall, things are very conservative (politically, religiously, socially). It is the Bible Belt, after all.

I'm an Okie, but was there while my dh was stationed at Ft. Gordon.

Here are lessons I learned in GA:

1. Real southern sweet tea is really, really sweet. (an aquired taste)

2. Your neighbors may fly Confederate flags (and mow the lawn in a thong)

3. Fire Ants are serious business. They are agressive, multiply quickly and

their mounds are connected by tunnels. (If your neighbor tells you to kill

them by pouring gasoline on the mound and setting it on fire, DON'T

DO IT! Dh learned that one the hard way and nearly blew up the house)

4. Moblie homes abound. They are southern luxury. If you have never

been in one, take a tour at one of the sale lots. (Never did determine why

they all have such colorful carpet)

5. On our first day at the large (upscale) Methodist church, a lady with a

heavy southern accent informed me that a real southern lady does not

wear white shoes after Labor Day. (even if they are sandles and it is still

hot as hades)

6. The lawn mowing season is looooonnnngggg.

7. The best peaches come from SC

8. The well-dressed man on the street corner holding the sign, is not

homeless, he is begging for tickets to the Masters

9. Sonics are owned by wealthy, foreign gypsies? (never confirmed this

one)

10. If you deliver a baby at the Medical College of Georgia, know that this is

a teaching hospital and about a million students will be paraded through

to see you in all of your glory.

ENJOY!

I remember thinking that everything was SLOW when I moved down south. People talked slow and moved slow. I about had a stroke waiting for the cashier to check people out. She would greet and talk to each person when I just wanted her to MOVE.

I'm used to it now. :D Folks moving too fast seem rude.

When we resided in the south (not GA, but south still) the first questions we got were:

"What church do you attend?" &

"Are you related to the (insert last name) or (insert location I've never heard of)."

Here's a blurb on the Augusta National Golf Club. I find their membership policies, um, interesting.

I do know people who will rent out their houses on Masters week, take a vacation, and charge people a bundle. This was a few years ago, I don't know if that is still practiced.

Okay, no deal breakers yet...keep going...but I do have a major stupid question to ask...and it involves clothing For the ladies (ya you know what I mean) ...is there anything to what um...you know...

There is a very palpable feeling around here in some parts with necklines and all that...

The malls looked normal enough there, but I'm curious enough to ask.

I don't know if we could keep our homeschooling lifestyle there, it might not be acceptable, or at least end up with a question or two. We hang out at the library during normal school hours...I don't know what the regional vibe is like there.

Do folks tend to mind their own business, or are you approached? I'm used to myob...but that doesn't mean I can't adapt.

I didn't notice any issues with modesty. Our church friends were wealthy and well dressed (modest). Our neighbors were trashy and practically nude most of the time. So just wear whatever you feel most comfortable. ;)

On a side note, we lived in Martinez for 6 mo. then moved to Grovetown. We found a charming little library in the middle of nowhere on Grovetown road (west of town).

Prince charming brought up the subject of bugs today...he said that a lot of the rental homes had very specific mention of pest control included...

Is that a good thing or a bad thing, can you really get away from it there? I'm cool with renting high up if so..although he would really rent a house to start.

You guys should know I'm clinical on the fear of spiders. Should I just plan on taking whiskey highballs with lunch or what?

My combo is definitely not Southern....I'm more a mix of metro Detroit with a hefty dose of northern Michigan out in the woods fend for yourself.

I think we would live over the river in Aiken south carolina.

Um, yeah, there will be culture shock.

Oh, man. Go rent "Gone with the Wind". Manners still apply. If someone says "Bless your Heart", they aren't praying for you! "Yes, Ma'am, No Ma'am, Yes sir, and No, sir" are phrases you should practice and teach the kid to use. It's insulting if you don't. Iced tea is good! But drink it w/ a protein..it has a LOT of sugar!

:iagree: :lol: Also, when you pass people on the street and they look you in the eye, they aren't being rude, they are being friendly. The appropriate response is to smile and nod. Perhaps wave if they look familiar. Dh says you can count on being called hon, honey, sugar, and any number of other terms of endearment. Don't take it as being too personal, and unless the person saying it is being obviously condescending, just roll with it.

As for fire ants, definitely don't try the gasoline thing. Just go buy some Amdro at the local hardware store. And yes, there are bugs. Lots of them. Proper pest control (aka chemical warfare) will keep them out of your home for the most part, but occasionally one will get in.

Oh my, lots of myths and fables being perpuated :). Not from the South but have lived in three states in the South, for the last 15 years. Watch Gone with the Wind, really?!?

Women are not meek, southern belles. They might have a Southern accent, but they are just like the women in Michigan, California, anywhere else in the U.S. Which means varied. Dumb, educated, smart, trashy, polite, rude, upstanding, Christian, non-Christian...you name it, you'll meet them all.

There's no Southern dress code. We don't all wear huge hats. Where whatever you wore when it was hot where you live now.

Pest control...it's not so much for the red ants but for the termites for the house itself. Termites like wet humid and wood. Prime conditions down here in the South. Landlords don't want their house being eaten up by termites. The pest control won't help too much with the red ants, cause pest control means the house itself, usually, not the whole yard.

Smoking? Not sure what you mean? People smoke here. The only place it's "frowned upon" is where it is illegal. Thankfully most counties are making it illegal to smoke in restaurants.

Good cook? Yea, we are humans, we like to eat. I don't think you'd have a "repuatation" unless you care to share your cooking skills everywhere you go. I mean, if you are wanting to be the next Paula Deen, go for it.

"Related too? questions"? Never once been asked that. I guess if you were in a really small town, like a few hundred people and had the same last name as a well known resident..oookaaay...but honestly, most people wouldn't ask that.

"Minding your own business"...again, this isn't Mayberry, folks. No one is in your business unless you spread your business. Of course, there is always those small circles of life, ie churches, schools, etc where people know people and gossip abounds. But in general, well, again we aren't talking Mayberry.

Here's the thing, neither Augusta or Aiken is a small, small town. Both are small cities. Both, because of the nature of what is going on there, are used to people coming in and out of the area (Masters, major horse events). You won't be the only strange car that pulls up to the one stop light in the center of town. You, instead, will be one of thousands that go through the area on a regular basis and locals won't bat an eyelash at you.

So then you become a local. Guess what, people have for years, and years, retired in the South. So older people retire here, other family members move here to be closer, military families come here. People come here for jobs. People move here for the climate (lack of cold winters). People go off to college and come back with spouses from other states. You name it, there are a ton of reasons why people live here, and it's not always because they were born here and never left the town. We live in a mobile society....you will meet ALOT of people in both Georgia and South Carolina who are NOT from the area. ALOT of people. You will meet alot of people from Michigan and Ohio...guess they are hating the winters there. I promise you will not be the only person in town who wasn't born and raised there.

Honestly, your life will change little from your life in Michigan, except the for weather.

It will be culture shock for sure. I prefer Aiken by far over Augusta, but that is where I grew up mostly. Do understand that the Civil War continues there:tongue_smilie:

Make sure that your kids learn to say yes ma'am and yes sir. It will make their lives a whole lot easier. Aiken has a pretty wide range of people and there is a lot of money there.

Lol yep some of this is pretty funny....the other day when I was at the mall I found this girl staring at me..I felt my blood pressure just shoot up when there was direct eye contact..it just felt really aggressive, I don't know what it was about it...maybe it was just because it was tooooooo long of a stare straight on

I was just reading this etiquette guide which I thought was interesting..it was talking about the social importance of stationary notes there..any truth to that? Gobs and gobs of thank you notes?

The dinner manner, outline that really threw me was the idea of the food not being eaten until the one who prepared the meal first eats.

This is wild and not even close to what happens here, so is that fact or fiction?

The cooking thing ... I've seen it done/expected that one always has a little something ready for a unexpected visit at the house..not so weird to me...there was a saying "oh, if I knew you were coming, I'd of baked you a cake" that is to say, I'm totally caught off guard...so excuse me while I fix something up....

Is there anything to the idea of keeping a little something off the side for company?

Isn't when you temporarily move to the south, you are a Yankee...but if you spawn a generation and stay..then you are a dang Yankee?

It will be culture shock for sure. I prefer Aiken by far over Augusta, but that is where I grew up mostly. Do understand that the Civil War continues there:tongue_smilie:

Except that it is referred to as "The War between the States" or "The war of Northern Aggression". I still remember hearing that when we first moved to GA... and many more times during the years we lived there. In this century...

We were taught to eat in shifts, men first, kids second, adult females last. To have a sit down talking isn't everyday stuff. Dinner is normally in silence.

Restaurants and travel are different of course, and depending on the star level so to speak, the talk and handling of things.

Another really dumb question, but serious....is it normal to keep two sets of dishes in the house? Everyday and one for company?

My aunt, grandmother and sister lives there (although sis just got married and moved back to FL with him). They love it and I liked it. I'm not a city gal, but it's nice.

If you go, go downtown and look up THe Bee's Knee's. It's a tapas style eatery with different ethnic dishes. OH MY! It was so delicious and the atmosphere was amazing!

It is the south, so yeah, for a northerner like you it's going to be hot. It's just fine for me as it's actually a little cooler there than here at home in south LA. It's a decent drive from Atlanta which has tons to things to do and see. It is also a decent drive from the coast...

We moved from PA to Augusta and I had no culture shock. I agree with PP who said it is pretty much like any other city in America. I love the area. I like it hot, I love the river area, there's lots to do, it's close to the beach and the mountains, and the people are friendly. I was sad when we moved away and would be happy to move back.

I think it will be whatever you expect it to be. If you expect it to be normal, you'll find that it isn't much different from where you currently live. If you expect it to be stereotypical southern, you will look for that and find it. If you focus on that part of it, you will see more of it. It's just perspective. The "southern" culture is there, but it's not usually in your face and obnoxious. It's little things that very few people are over serious about.

Moving from Washington, you'll find the rain is less frequent but heavier. You may find it hot, but it's not really that bad. There's air conditioning everywhere. Fire ant bites are nasty- you need to stay on top of things and don't let mounds linger. People freak out about snow. They call a hard frost "snow" and may cancel school because they just know there will be black ice. You may find you don't need a coat your first 2 winters but by the 3rd, you start to feel cold too. I thought there was a lot more of a multi-cultural feel than in small towns in the north.

Lol yep some of this is pretty funny....the other day when I was at the mall I found this girl staring at me..I felt my blood pressure just shoot up when there was direct eye contact..it just felt really aggressive, I don't know what it was about it...maybe it was just because it was tooooooo long of a stare straight on

I was just reading this etiquette guide which I thought was interesting..it was talking about the social importance of stationary notes there..any truth to that? Gobs and gobs of thank you notes?

The dinner manner, outline that really threw me was the idea of the food not being eaten until the one who prepared the meal first eats.

This is wild and not even close to what happens here, so is that fact or fiction?

The cooking thing ... I've seen it done/expected that one always has a little something ready for a unexpected visit at the house..not so weird to me...there was a saying "oh, if I knew you were coming, I'd of baked you a cake" that is to say, I'm totally caught off guard...so excuse me while I fix something up....

Is there anything to the idea of keeping a little something off the side for company?

Isn't when you temporarily move to the south, you are a Yankee...but if you spawn a generation and stay..then you are a dang Yankee?

This is going to snarky, and I am completely not being snarky, only funny, in a let's be real way.....stop reading an etiquette book from the 1800's. Seriously...no one is cooking you something just cuz you showed up...unless that was their habit (ie my grandmother always runs straight for the kitchen, anytime anyone comes....she's born and raised in Iowa). In today's economy, no one is making extra food to keep off to the side "in case" a random visitor shows up. Polite table manners are no different here than where you live. Would you sit down and start eating when the hostess is still in the kitchen? Nope. Would you sit down at the table and stare at the hostess intently to ensure she has taken her first bite before you take yours? That's just weird.

Here's where it gets shocking....here in the South, we have internet, email and Facebook! Common courtesy does is to write thank you notes when one is warranted, but we are no different than anywhere else in America, which means most of us think that a quick email or tag on Facebook is considered a thank you note (that's not me). You can send gobs and gobs of thank you notes if you want, but you might be the only one still supporting the USPS.

No one says "you are a Yankee"...come on....it might be said in jest, but since there is a HUGE Population of people who have moved here as adults, wouldn't it be kind of ridiculous for your neighbor who moved here from Ohio to call you a Yankee? And no one stops to ask if you have spawned children to determine if they can now call you "dang Yankee".

Daily dishes and fancy dishes? Sure, don't most people put fine china on their wedding registry? I want to a wedding in Nebraska and a wedding in New York, and both had fine china on their registry....so not sure how that relates to the South?

Put down the etiquette book from a hundred years ago.

Edited by Samiam

We were taught to eat in shifts, men first, kids second, adult females last. To have a sit down talking isn't everyday stuff. Dinner is normally in silence.

My husband's family did the shift eating growing up but they don't anymore(he's from Texas). I remember being stunned when we went there for our first Christmas, and I was expected to serve, and not sit with him. It was so different. I grew up in Maryland, we all ate together, once all the food was put on the table. Everyone started eating once the prayer was said. I have lived most of my adult life in Georgia, and now Tennessee. What I experienced there is similar to how it was growing up, everyone eating together, although sometimes more casual with more of a buffet style on the counter, with people eating all over the place, if it's a large enough group.

Also if you end up in SC rather than GA don't be offended by the GO Cocks clothing. They are a second rate college:leaving: in Columbia. You pretty much have to either root for them or the Clemson Tigers. GO TIGERS!

ETA: Cocks are short for Gamecocks

Edited by Mama Geek

Also if you end up in SC rather than GA don't be offended by the GO Cocks clothing. They are a second rate college:leaving: in Columbia. You pretty much have to either root for them or the Clemson Tigers. GO TIGERS!

LOL..... :lol: Our local state college's chant is "Let's go Peay".... pronounced "pee".... The school is named after a former governor of the same name.

I think it will be whatever you expect it to be. If you expect it to be normal, you'll find that it isn't much different from where you currently live. If you expect it to be stereotypical southern, you will look for that and find it.

:iagree:

Sure, there will be differences. I think every place has its own unique quirks. But, really, as a PP mentioned, these are small cities, not some far-out tiny towns. I think you're worrying over non-issues.

Now, for some real issues... if you want to order a soda, you order a Coke. If the server asks if Pepsi is ok, the answer is no. :tongue_smilie:;):D

P.S. Over 30 years ago when I moved to the Atlanta area, my mom became friends w/ a bunch of ladies (all newcomers to the area). One lady from Detroit had apparently been terrified to move to Atl because she thought that literally there were race riots in the streets on a regular basis. Um.... no. I seriously have to wonder about some of the myths out there....

This is going to snarky, and I am completely not being snarky, only funny, in a let's be real way.....stop reading an etiquette book from the 1800's. Seriously...no one is cooking you something just cuz you showed up...unless that was their habit (ie my grandmother always runs straight for the kitchen, anytime anyone comes....she's born and raised in Iowa). In today's economy, no one is making extra food to keep off to the side "in case" a random visitor shows up. Polite table manners are no different here than where you live. Would you sit down and start eating when the hostess is still in the kitchen? Nope. Would you sit down at the table and stare at the hostess intently to ensure she has taken her first bite before you take yours? That's just weird.

Here's where it gets shocking....here in the South, we have internet, email and Facebook! Common courtesy does is to write thank you notes when one is warranted, but we are no different than anywhere else in America, which means most of us think that a quick email or tag on Facebook is considered a thank you note (that's not me). You can send gobs and gobs of thank you notes if you want, but you might be the only one still supporting the USPS.

No one says "you are a Yankee"...come on....it might be said in jest, but since there is a HUGE Population of people who have moved here as adults, wouldn't it be kind of ridiculous for your neighbor who moved here from Ohio to call you a Yankee? And no one stops to ask if you have spawned children to determine if they can now call you "dang Yankee".

Daily dishes and fancy dishes? Sure, don't most people put fine china on their wedding registry? I want to a wedding in Nebraska and a wedding in New York, and both had fine china on their registry....so not sure how that relates to the South?

:iagree: LOL I want to know what etiquette book you are reading. Apparently, my mamma didn't teach me right. :D

The only time I can remember anyone saying anything about anyone being a Yankee is when someone who moved down here is constantly complaining about having to live here. Then they are called a Yankee to explain the rude behavior. :lol:

My advice is to be yourself. Aren't you great and wonderful just how you are?

Sure, there will be differences. I think every place has its own unique quirks. But, really, as a PP mentioned, these are small cities, not some far-out tiny towns. I think you're worrying over non-issues.

Now, for some real issues... if you want to order a soda, you order a Coke. If the server asks if Pepsi is ok, the answer is no. :tongue_smilie:;):D

Oh my goodness, yes! Coke stands for all soda/pop. And Pepsi is never ok. Yuck. :ack2: (My apologies to Pepsi lovers, but it really is nasty.)

P.S. Over 30 years ago when I moved to the Atlanta area, my mom became friends w/ a bunch of ladies (all newcomers to the area). One lady from Detroit had apparently been terrified to move to Atl because she thought that literally there were race riots in the streets on a regular basis. Um.... no. I seriously have to wonder about some of the myths out there....

I've noticed this as well. What are they teaching people up north and out west? This is one of the biggest myths I have run into, and continue to run in to. It's so funny when I meet someone new to the area, and they are just so amazed at how nice everyone is and that there isn't any segregated schools and bathrooms.

I order pop. I suppose that's got to go eh?

My sister and I had the longest conversation today about our dialect and enuncation habits depending on the group we are in. I better drop the youse guys dere as well?

Thanks for humoring some of my questions.

Nah, the thicker the accent the better. Accents are cool!

I lived in Norfolk for six years and picked up the you guys. I say that as much as y'all now.

I took French when I was in highschool, and got into the habit of making a distinction between the sound of e and i. My dad still makes fun of me to this day. He thinks it is so funny for me to say t-e-n for 10, instead of t-i-n. Oh, and if you hear someone say wawst, they are talking about a wasp. :D

I hope that your family's move down south will be an exciting and wonderful time!

I order pop. I suppose that's got to go eh?

Well, yeah. Unless you want them to go grab someone's grandpa (Pop) for you. :D

My sister and I had the longest conversation today about our dialect and enuncation habits depending on the group we are in. I better drop the youse guys dere as well?

We watch mafia movies. We know how Yankee mobsters talk. ;):D (Yes, I'm aware that in movies, the mobsters are from NJ & NY, not MI. However, the 'youse guys' makes me think of every mob movie I've ever seen.)

OOOOooooo....I forgot the best part of living in Augusta.

You will be a mere 8 hours from Disney World!!!!! Get up early, drive a few hours, have lunch, and you are there for dinner. Yippppppeeeeeeee :D

You will be in easy driving distance of many new, beautiful places. Enjoy your time there and explore your surrounding area. The hs fieldtrips abound.