Menu

homeschooling through a divorce

Bleugh, I never thought this would be me, but, it is what it is.

Anyway, I'm not best prepared mentally for homeschooling this year and am leaning toward taking some time out or unschooling until we adjust and take care of things. Then I think perhaps the structure of the school day would be good for me and the kids. But then, the idea of a "year of discovery" is very appealing too...

My kids are 10, 8 and 6

What say the hive?

:bigear:

Whatever works for you and your dc in this difficult time. At their ages, one year of a "different" curriculum will not negatively impact them long term.

Perhaps everyone needs a "discovery, take it easy year."

Enjoy it as much as you can. I hope you have outside support from family and friends to walk with you!

:grouphug: I'm so sorry.

I really don't know what you should do about homeschooling as I've never been in your situation, and I'm not you. I can imagine wanting to be with my children a lot, and maybe finding homeschooling a welcome distraction from everything else that is going on. I can also imagine feeling overwhelmed by everything and wanting time and space to myself.

I'll be thinking of you.

:grouphug:

I think it's a question for the Divorce Attorney you need to be working with. Putting them in school is setting precedent, and unschooling doesn't look good to judges. I'd say using a curriculum that's acknowledged by others, and schooling in a more "serious" way works on your legal side.

Remember that people don't usually get divorced because they can work well together, or want the best for the other person. Children are often used as pawns, and plans that were "mutual" before turn to "battle grounds" in the land of divorce.

Sorry :(

I think it's a question for the Divorce Attorney you need to be working with. Putting them in school is setting precedent, and unschooling doesn't look good to judges. I'd say using a curriculum that's acknowledged by others, and schooling in a more "serious" way works on your legal side.

Remember that people don't usually get divorced because they can work well together, or want the best for the other person. Children are often used as pawns, and plans that were "mutual" before turn to "battle grounds" in the land of divorce.

:iagree:With all of this. Many :grouphug:s to you and your family.

:grouphug: I am sorry you are facing such tough times. Life can sure be hard at times! Praying for you and your children.:grouphug:

Keeping their home life, school, and activities as normal as possible might be very comforting for the children with so much change and loss happening.

If it were me I would...

Keep them home, do as much formal work as you can, let yourself off the hook when you can't get everything done, document the heck out of everything you do and really shine up all those unschooling moments and document them, too. The court doesn't have to know that most of your fractions lessons are baking cookies with the kids because yummy food and together time feeds a family's soul.

Find yourself some community. If you don't already have a supportive homeschool group, get one. My homeschool group literally saved us through several single mom years. You need the break from being the only in-home parent, you need the shoulders to cry on, you need adult companionship.

Make sure to take care of yourself. Don't make any major decisions you don't have to. This is one of the most difficult times and the world looks skewed and bizarre from where you are standing. Be kind to yourself and your kids. I'm so sorry your family is facing this. :(

Sorry :(

:iagree:

If you want to homeschool, absolutely do not put the kids in PS, even temporarily. And document every day's lessons, and save things like tests and worksheets, so you can prove to a judge that you are taking your children's education seriously.

But this is a conversation to have with your attorney, and maybe even with an HSLDA attorney. (I'm not a big fan of the political agenda of the HSLDA, but in this case, they might be able to help you.)

Are you going to have to go back to work once the divorce is final? Back to school?

Will he be paying child support while the divorce is ongoing? Who is paying the rent/bills?

Just some things to think about. Also if you have to put the kids back in school some grades might be easier to transition into then others (not sure what grades your kids are in).

If it were me I would...

Keep them home, do as much formal work as you can, let yourself off the hook when you can't get everything done, document the heck out of everything you do and really shine up all those unschooling moments and document them, too. The court doesn't have to know that most of your fractions lessons are baking cookies with the kids because yummy food and together time feeds a family's soul.

Find yourself some community. If you don't already have a supportive homeschool group, get one. My homeschool group literally saved us through several single mom years. You need the break from being the only in-home parent, you need the shoulders to cry on, you need adult companionship.

Make sure to take care of yourself. Don't make any major decisions you don't have to. This is one of the most difficult times and the world looks skewed and bizarre from where you are standing. Be kind to yourself and your kids. I'm so sorry your family is facing this. :(

:iagree: I think the above is fantastic advice... and a great big :grouphug: to you!