Menu

corn tortilla uses?

This might sound kind of strange but we are gluten free, I decided to try these as a cheap bread substitute, my kids eat peanut butter and jelly or peanut butter and cheese off of them. My daughter loves them. Super cheap sandwiches!

How about just making a Mexican style dish and using the tortillas to eat, instead of forks?

Also, if you make rolled tacos, be sure to freeze some to later use. You would need to heat the tortilla for rolling. You can do this in a microwave, in a bag, or on the stove. This keeps it from ripping apart.

Also, similar to above, with eggs. Rip tortillas up, like chips. Fry until crispy, and set aside to drain. Beat some eggs, toss it all in a pan and cook, Serve with some home-made salsa on top.

Huevos rancheros. Make a tostada. Dice tomatoes, onion, and chile for a mild salsa. Sautee veggies together, once the onions are clear add a bit of water and chicken bouillon to taste. If you prefer you can stick it in the blender, but it should be fairly runny. Fry and egg over medium, set on tostada, and top with salsa.

You can also make potato hard tacos, tortilla soup, or soft tacos.

Sorry, I think that is all I have. Option one is what we mostly use tortillas for.

Danielle

Edited by USDGAL

We love 'em for a hearty Honduran breakfast ("breakfast" meaning "any time of day," of course)--fry up black beans with lots of carmelized onion; scrambled eggs; and good Mexican cheese. Then you scoop bits of each thing up with your corn tortilla and stuff it in your mouth as fast as possible (fast, so you can get more in before you feel full).

:001_wub:

We generally just eat them heated with cheese. Essentially a cheese sandwich. At two sandwiches per person they are all gone in a couple of weeks. For us this is a school day lunch staple. We get the smaller size.

A friend uses flour tortilla as hot dog buns. My kids like it. Maybe corn would be good, sort of a lower fat corn dog?

I've heard you can cut them up and bake them as chips. I'm :bigear: because we're in the same situation. No one here really likes them much, so I need something with high appeal :lol:

Mrs Spy Car invented a good way to make baked tortilla chips. She sprays them lightly with water (mist setting on ironing style water sprayer), then sprinkles with a little salt and bakes them in a toaster oven. It works really well.

Bill

Mrs Spy Car invented a good way to make baked tortilla chips. She sprays them lightly with water (mist setting on ironing style water sprayer), then sprinkles with a little salt and bakes them in a toaster oven. It works really well.

Bill

Instead of salt you can also sprinkle a cinnamon sugar mix too. :001_smile:

We generally just eat them heated with cheese. Essentially a cheese sandwich. At two sandwiches per person they are all gone in a couple of weeks. For us this is a school day lunch staple. We get the smaller size.

A friend uses flour tortilla as hot dog buns. My kids like it. Maybe corn would be good, sort of a lower fat corn dog?

I always have my hot dogs on corn tortillas with mustard only. It is the only way I like hot dogs. It is the way I grew up eating them (I am half Hispanic). Hebrew National are the best on them.

You could also look up a good chilaquiles recipe. My mom makes them but I don't know her recipe.

We make something called enchilada salad that I think my MIL made up. Heat a can of enchilada sauce. Lightly fry tortillas and drain on paper towels. Dip a tortilla in the sauce to coat and set on a plate. Top with shredded lettuce and cheese(you can add meat, beans, olives etc as desire and budget allow. We just do cheese and lettuce) dip another tortilla in sauce and place on top of lettuce and repeat layering. Adults and teens at our house do three layers generally. Top with a bit of extra sauce and sour cream. It is yummy! A bit messy to eat. we just cut bites and eat with a fork.

Era: lots and lots of lettuce. It is a "salad". Even buying the pre bagged shredded lettuce it is a very frugal meal.

This might sound kind of strange but we are gluten free, I decided to try these as a cheap bread substitute, my kids eat peanut butter and jelly or peanut butter and cheese off of them. My daughter loves them. Super cheap sandwiches!

:iagree:

I do always warm them for a minute in a skillet, makes them soft and they just taste better.