Menu

DH is stranded at a gas station...

on the side of the interstate about an hour away from home. We know what is wrong with the car, but you just can't purchase an alternator at midnight.. and our road side assistance just informed us that they only tow for THIRTEEN MILES!?!?!? What have we been paying for? We are more than 13 miles down a lonely little highway that doesn't even scratch the surface of the distance we have to drive to and fro for work, shopping, etc....

anywho... just my vent that we have been paying for something basically unusable :/

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Can't you just pay the tow truck driver to bring the car all the way home?

well, we could, TOMORROW. We are strapped till his pay goes through sometime between now and 8am. I suppose he could write a check IF he had a check on him :/

Financially it would make more sense for you to head out to a gas station. If you run out of gas you could call road side assistance for a tow to the gas station you were heading for. A pain all around, though.

:iagree:

Can't the roadside assistance send someone to you with gas?

Financially it would make more sense for you to head out to a gas station. If you run out of gas you could call road side assistance for a tow to the gas station you were heading for. A pain all around, though.

What is sad is he already had to walk several miles to his car at the work parking lot (he works at the airport and they bus them back and forth) because the employee bus caught fire tonight.

He has already stated he doesn't want me and the kids getting out this late, he will call his dad or a buddy to come grab him. He has plenty of single guy friends that can grab him. The tow truck was coming to help recharge the battery and hopefully get him closer to home. He gets several "jumps" per year.

He deserves a beer!

Well - maybe he could have his battery charged AND towed 13 miles (maybe the driver would take pity and eek out a few extra miles), and then see how far he gets? Too bad it's night time - he could get so much farther without lights!

he has made it closer to home, he is at another exit and has called for another jump... will use up his jumps and then use is "tows" and then I will pick him up where he lands if no one else can grab him LOL I have no cell, so I will be dead in the wind, if I run out of gas... so he needs to get close LOL

I thought the title of the thread said, "Dh was strangled at the gas station." See it could be worse?

I ran out of gas once while I was driving to work but I didn't know it. I parked in the stall and when I came back out to the car after work, the car wouldn't start. I couldn't quite figure out how the car broke just sitting there all day? :tongue_smilie: So I called DH and the first thing he asks me is did I run out of gas? Well, no sweetie I made it to work just fine. He makes the 45 minute trip to my work to see if he can fix the car enough to get me home.

I was out of gas. :D He wasn't very happy with me either. :tongue_smilie:

I hope your DH gets home safe. :001_smile:

I thought the title of the thread said, "Dh was strangled at the gas station." See it could be worse?

I ran out of gas once while I was driving to work but I didn't know it. I parked in the stall and when I came back out to the car after work, the car wouldn't start. I couldn't quite figure out how the car broke just sitting there all day? :tongue_smilie: So I called DH and the first thing he asks me is did I run out of gas? Well, no sweetie I made it to work just fine. He makes the 45 minute trip to my work to see if he can fix the car enough to get me home.

I was out of gas. :D He wasn't very happy with me either. :tongue_smilie:

I hope your DH gets home safe. :001_smile:

ha, well the exit he was originally at could have foreshadowed a "strangling" Atlanta has some rough spots ha ha. He has it worked out to have it towed to his parents, and then his friend is going to pick him up and bring him home. I told him to just crash at his parents and me and the kids would rescue him in the morning, when our gas station near us is open, lol! We shall see what Mr. Stubborn decides to do.

he has made it closer to home, he is at another exit and has called for another jump... will use up his jumps and then use is "tows" and then I will pick him up where he lands if no one else can grab him LOL I have no cell, so I will be dead in the wind, if I run out of gas... so he needs to get close LOL

Sounds like a long night! Hoping he can just make it all the way home!!

ha, well the exit he was originally at could have foreshadowed a "strangling" Atlanta has some rough spots ha ha. He has it worked out to have it towed to his parents, and then his friend is going to pick him up and bring him home. I told him to just crash at his parents and me and the kids would rescue him in the morning, when our gas station near us is open, lol! We shall see what Mr. Stubborn decides to do.

That is really scary, I hope he makes it home safely. :grouphug:

Id switch to AAA, i think they cover more than 13mi. Thats crazy!

just checked, their basic plan only covers 5 miles :O. Their other plans cover 100 -200 mile tows but are more than double what we pay now so not sure if it is worth it or not. At this point, it probably is worth it. He is still on the side of the interstate... tow truck is an hour late from their estimated arrival time. They just called and said they "must have passed him" :/

just checked, their basic plan only covers 5 miles :O. Their other plans cover 100 -200 mile tows but are more than double what we pay now so not sure if it is worth it or not. At this point, it probably is worth it. He is still on the side of the interstate... tow truck is an hour late from their estimated arrival time. They just called and said they "must have passed him" :/

We have progressive, you might want to check them. We were towed pretty far once but I don't really remember the miles.

We are happy with our actual insurance. Would just want to increase our roadside assistance coverage.

Just heard from DH. He is just now heading our way :/ Only took 2 hours :O. We are only paying 15 extra out of pocket to get it here to the house, so that is marvelous!

My uncle has State Farm and they towed us all the way home once (10mi) and were there within 10min!

One time I went to work and when I left had not one but TWO flat tires! Come to find out I had run over a box of nails someone had dropped on the road! And since most cars only have one spare I had to be rescued :D

We are happy with our actual insurance. Would just want to increase our roadside assistance coverage.

Just heard from DH. He is just now heading our way :/ Only took 2 hours :O. We are only paying 15 extra out of pocket to get it here to the house, so that is marvelous!

:party:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have been doing that a lot lately -- then I open the thread and I'm :confused::confused::confused: because it's not about what I thought it was about.

Id switch to AAA, i think they cover more than 13mi. Thats crazy!

No. Their basic plan doesn't cover much. That's why we pay for the "next step" up. Since I work in the country. Their basic plan may not get me where I need to go. My husband wants me covered if my car won't start.

He made it home safely.... and then since it is a mustang, the windows have that automatic open mechanism when you open the door. :glare: Well, the windows wouldn't go all the way up due to the battery issues/alternator issues and a storm was heading our way.... so guess who pushed a mustang into the garage, with pajamas and HIGH HEELS on at 4am in the morning?!?!?! ME! It was a great day/night/morning... Off to cut grass before it storms again.

we use pepboys. here in SoCal, they will tow you for free if they do the repair. that has worked out well for us.

hth the next time,

ann

ah, that is good to know if it is ever a major repair. This was a simple fix. We typically work on our own vehicles but if it was ever say a transmission, etc.. that is great to know.

:lol::lol: We don't wear shoes IN our house, we pile them into a mountain in the garage... So naturally, when I NEED my flipflops quickly, all I can find was my high heels...

This also happened three years ago with an apartment fire, I left the house in pjs and high heels... and two years ago, I chased a flying trampoline down the street at midnight, in high heels and pjs... Only fitting to push a car in high heels and pj's... actually, I think it helped me with my traction and pushing :D

No. Their basic plan doesn't cover much. That's why we pay for the "next step" up. Since I work in the country. Their basic plan may not get me where I need to go. My husband wants me covered if my car won't start.

AAA has been a life saver for us. Driving all used cars that often have 100k or close to it when we buy them, it's nice to be able to be towed whereever we need. One time, DH and DS1 were coming back from a trip, and they broke down in Nashville on a bad side of town. DH called AAA and had them towed to the shop that had just replaced the part that went out. It happened to be exactly 99 miles to the shop, and we get free towing within 100 miles. :D DS1 thought it was fun riding in a tow truck back home. ;)

I had one van that probably got towed 5 times. AAA has more than paid for itself. :tongue_smilie:

He made it home safely.... and then since it is a mustang, the windows have that automatic open mechanism when you open the door. :glare: Well, the windows wouldn't go all the way up due to the battery issues/alternator issues and a storm was heading our way.... so guess who pushed a mustang into the garage, with pajamas and HIGH HEELS on at 4am in the morning?!?!?! ME! It was a great day/night/morning... Off to cut grass before it storms again.

So are you cutting grass in high heels too? :lol:

Where are you seeing these limits with USAA, I went to check our policy and we only have the option to have or not have roadside assistance and it's only $1 per vehicle per month.

I'm not asking to be snarky but want to know if I need to call them to clarify what we actually have covered.

Where are you seeing these limits with USAA, I went to check our policy and we only have the option to have or not have roadside assistance and it's only $1 per vehicle per month.

I'm not asking to be snarky but want to know if I need to call them to clarify what we actually have covered.

he called the roadside assistance number and they told him what he was allowed. They did something and "allowed" up to 16 instead of 13.

he called the roadside assistance number and they told him what he was allowed. They did something and "allowed" up to 16 instead of 13.

Ah, so maybe it's the policy of the company USAA uses for the tows. Maybe they feel that's all the distance that's worth the price USAA pays them.

I guess I'll call USAA on Monday and do some digging around.

:lol::lol: We don't wear shoes IN our house, we pile them into a mountain in the garage... So naturally, when I NEED my flipflops quickly, all I can find was my high heels...

:D

So that's the story you'll be sticking to, eh? :D

(Just kidding! I can never find my shoes when I need them in a hurry, either -- at least not a matching pair!)

Ah, so maybe it's the policy of the company USAA uses for the tows. Maybe they feel that's all the distance that's worth the price USAA pays them.

I guess I'll call USAA on Monday and do some digging around.

No, it wasn't the towing service that told us that. It was USAA; well whomever is answering the phone stating "USAA roadside assistance" sorry to be confusing!

This also happened three years ago with an apartment fire, I left the house in pjs and high heels... and two years ago, I chased a flying trampoline down the street at midnight, in high heels and pjs... Only fitting to push a car in high heels and pj's... actually, I think it helped me with my traction and pushing :D

This is some thread!

I am so glad I read it.

That was quite an experience. Good to hear he got home safely!