Menu

Swim Parents- Best goggles recs please

Speedo vanquisher junior. DS 12 has only just now moved up from these to adult size. Also, be sure they're tight enough. If they aren't hard to pull off, they're probably too loose. He could ask his coach to check the fit.

Thanks. I will look for those. His coach had tried everything to make the pair I bought work but they leak. His old pair broke and that is what started us searching for a new pair.

Youngest loves googles, and Eldest did to for awhile.

What we ended up doing was testing lots of different pairs. The pool we swam at had a bin of lost googles. We would try on pair after pair from the lost and found and take them for a test swim.

We also bought lots of different types. :glare:

What is funny is the only type that worked for youngest (till he grew) was a pair we found on the sidewalk while out for a walk. No name brand. :confused:

Youngest loves googles, and Eldest did to for awhile.

What we ended up doing was testing lots of different pairs. The pool we swam at had a bin of lost googles. We would try on pair after pair from the lost and found and take them for a test swim.

We also bought lots of different types. :glare:

What is funny is the only type that worked for youngest (till he grew) was a pair we found on the sidewalk while out for a walk. No name brand. :confused:

That's funny you say that. DS's first pair was a no name brand I think either came from the dollar spot at Target or as a goody bag prize.

That's funny you say that. DS's first pair was a no name brand I think either came from the dollar spot at Target or as a goody bag prize.

What is funny is the collection of googles we now have.

We always went to a pool at a very unpopular time. Once they were cleaning out the lost and found and offered me a collection of googles.

I also bought two pairs for my dh and his big head. Two or three pairs I hoped would work with my kids.

I also have prescription googles for myself.

I think I now have over a dozen of nice expensive looking name brand googles. None of which work well for Eldest. :glare: Mind you he gave up trying some time ago.

We do the Vanquishers too - junior size til about 13 yrs. old & then adult after that. The most important part for our kids is replacing the straps with a bungee. SO much easier for them to tighten and loosen on their own. Every pair of goggles used at our house has bungee straps.

HTH :)

Vanquisher Jr here, too. I usually keep an eye on them on Amazon and order when they drop to a reasonable price.

(DS noticed that Missy Franklin wore Vanquishers during the Olympics. He thinks his goggles are now going to transform him into Mr. Missy Franklin. :))

When my ds needed goggles we went to a local sports shop. They told us the way to buy goggles is to try them on. They proceeded to get a cup of water, take the goggles out of the packaging, wet the outside rim and place them on my ds face. If they "stuck" (no strap around the head), then they were the right fit. The pair he ended up with were Speedos.

What is funny is the collection of googles we now have.

We always went to a pool at a very unpopular time. Once they were cleaning out the lost and found and offered me a collection of googles.

I also bought two pairs for my dh and his big head. Two or three pairs I hoped would work with my kids.

I also have prescription googles for myself.

I think I now have over a dozen of nice expensive looking name brand googles. None of which work well for Eldest.

Do you know how long it took me to realize you were not talking about a brand name of goggles called "google"? I was googling "google goggles"

:lol:

We do the Vanquishers too - junior size til about 13 yrs. old & then adult after that. The most important part for our kids is replacing the straps with a bungee. SO much easier for them to tighten and loosen on their own. Every pair of goggles used at our house has bungee straps.

HTH :)

How do you replace it with a bungee?

Your son could try the women's vanquisher if the adult men's don't fit. To check for proper fit, and to ensure they don't leak, have him press the goggles to his face/eyes and don't put the strap on. If they fall off, or there are obvious holes, then they dont' fit. My son likes hydrospecs, dd's wear vanquishers.

Do you know how long it took me to realize you were not talking about a brand name of goggles called "google"? I was googling "google goggles"

:lol:

Opps. My bad. :p

I do like my prescription goggles. (Notice the spelling is correct. :)) They aren't as expensive as you might think. Mind you I forgot how much they did cost.

• 1 month later...
Guest DragonAlliance

I purchased many swim goggles online. But Youth MX is my favorite one. Its stylish and very comfortable for swimming. It is having unidirectional air flow system and protection guard to protect eyes under water and other radiations.

• 4 weeks later...

My daughter is also new to competitive swimming. She had been wearing women's goggles over the summer for lessons and summer league. Now that her time in the pool and speed have increased she is having more problems with leaking or just plain coming off.

My advice is find a shop that lets you try them and (ideally) has swimmers on staff. She has had lots of help at the local swim shop. The latest pair we purchased to combat these issues are Speedo Jr. Victory. I will add that despite being 14 she has very petite features.

I don't have competitive swimmers, but both mine use Speedo Vanquisher Jrs. They are comfortable, have good suction and are easy to adjust. I buy two pairs of the corrective ones at a time to make one pair approximating DD the Younger's prescription.

Your son could try the women's vanquisher if the adult men's don't fit. To check for proper fit, and to ensure they don't leak, have him press the goggles to his face/eyes and don't put the strap on. If they fall off, or there are obvious holes, then they dont' fit. My son likes hydrospecs, dd's wear vanquishers.

Yes! My guys have finer features and narrower faces, so the women's Vanquishers worked great for the in-between years.

Our goggle preferences have changed over the years as the kids' faces have grown and changed. If your budget permits, take your son to a store that specializes in swimming gear and have them fit him. Pay attention to how they do it and be sure to ask questions. Good goggles can make a difference in your son's swimming experience, but in our house, you have to earn the right to wear them. This means not losing them. My kids will also keep their race pair at home and older and cheaper pairs in their bag for practice.

Teach your son to rinse his goggles with cold water after practice and to hang them up to dry when he gets home. Those gaskets will mold and cause eye infections. Also, teach your son to bury his goggles deep in his swim bag and not to leave them laying around the locker room. He will "lose' a lot fewer goggles that way.

I hope he has fun. Swimming is an amazing sport.