Menu

oh man, I was finally going to post on the cupcake

Why? It was a kind and peaceful 160 pages. No one was being hurt. No one was rude. There were no deleted posts or anything!

:iagree: But maybe there was too much space being taken up with attachments?

I am so bummed for Paige.

At least they didn't delete it.

:iagree: But maybe there was too much space being taken up with attachments?

I am so bummed for Paige.

At least they didn't delete it.

Yeah, I'm sure she's real upset. ;)

I'm surprised it was locked too. I guess it was taking up too much space. Is it typical that the mods don't state why a thread is being locked? On other forums I belong to a mod will usually come in and state the reason why and then lock the thread.

Oh well... I guess I'm still figuring things out here.

Yeah, I'm sure she's real upset. ;)

I'm surprised it was locked too. I guess it was taking up too much space. Is it typical that the mods don't state why a thread is being locked? On other forums I belong to a mod will usually come in and state the reason why and then lock the thread.

Oh well... I guess I'm still figuring things out here.

I'd expect bandwidth as well. It seems that they type a little reason when deleting posts but not when locking them.

thread and it is closed. Why is it closed?

Well, there you go -- you were going to post, they shut it down. Did you forget to wear your tinfoil hat today? :hat: (That's the best I could do for a tinfoil hat -- sorry!)

This theory makes no sense to me? When we can put unlimited posts on this board, why would a single long thread make a difference?

IDK but it's on the Board Rules/FAQ:

A note about posting We want you to carry on all sorts of conversations on this board. Please do remember, though, that we are hosting it (and it does cost money) as a support forum for home educators. Megalong threads with little content cost us bandwidth and extra money. And so far as we can tell, they DO throw the server for a loop more often than shorter threads. So please don't start threads whose topic is post-for-the-sake-of-posting.

I have to admit that I was starting to get a little worried when so many photos were attached to the posts, but if that was the problem, all the mods would have had to do was ask everyone to cut it out with the attachments and just post plain messages.

I was looking forward to it becoming the Longest Thread of All Time. :(

I have to admit that I was starting to get a little worried when so many photos were attached to the posts, but if that was the problem, all the mods would have had to do was ask everyone to cut it out with the attachments and just post plain messages.

I was looking forward to it becoming the Longest Thread of All Time. :(

Can you say "pritty pritty please with a cherry on top" to them? :D

Huge threads eat up bandwidth (which costs the board owners money), slows down servers and can even crash the board.

Why is that worse than multiple shorter threads? I am NOT the resident computer person at my house and I've never actually thought about how it works. Anyone wanna explain the difference to me in terms I can understand? You know . . .like cooking, dance, or curriculum?

Why is that worse than multiple shorter threads? I am NOT the resident computer person at my house and I've never actually thought about how it works. Anyone wanna explain the difference to me in terms I can understand? You know . . .like cooking, dance, or curriculum?

I don't know why. I just know that it does. I remember at least one or two times that huge threads have caused grief for the board owners and crashed the boards entirely. I don’t even want to ask how much money it must cost them to fix that. :001_unsure:

Imagine a single stack of 1000 glasses vs. 100 stacks of 10 glasses. One is precarious and causes problem, the other is much more doable without breakage.

If it is quality discussion, then they let us push the limits of what the board can handle. Once it is just page after page of silliness....they will eventually shut it down. :001_smile:

Silliness is great! Just not when it is stacked soo high that it can bring the whole board down with it.

yeah, the thread for "did you read all of the cupcake thread" was locked down too.

I guess they didn't want it to start up again! :D

If I were a bettin' woman, I'd bet this thread ain't long for this world, either. ;)

Imagine a single stack of 1000 glasses vs. 100 stacks of 10 glasses. One is precarious and causes problem, the other is much more doable without breakage.

If it is quality discussion, then they let us push the limits of what the board can handle. Once it is just page after page of silliness....they will eventually shut it down. :001_smile:

Silliness is great! Just not when it is stacked soo high that it can bring the whole board down with it.

That actually makes sense. Thanks!

I don't know why. I just know that it does. I remember at least one or two times that huge threads have caused grief for the board owners and crashed the boards entirely. I don’t even want to ask how much money it must cost them to fix that. :001_unsure:

Well, now I feel like a jerk. :tongue_smilie: Good to know, though. I just figured that since the "longest ever" (on record) was just under 2000 posts, we were good up to that.

Well, now I feel like a jerk. :tongue_smilie: Good to know, though. I just figured that since the "longest ever" (on record) was just under 2000 posts, we were good up to that.

Maybe the moderators wanted to get some sleep and were afraid we'd add another thousand posts in the wee hours of the morning?

Well, there you go -- you were going to post, they shut it down. Did you forget to wear your tinfoil hat today? :hat: (That's the best I could do for a tinfoil hat -- sorry!)

Here you go. This could only be more awesome if he were holding a cupcake too. :lol:

tinfoilhat.jpg

ETA:

tinfoilcupcake.jpg

The caption below this photo reads:

These cupcakes are protected from all forms of shadow government disinfo hypnology.

Edited by Mom in High Heels