Menu

How do I get the foot stink out of ds's Keens (sandals)?

Washing machine? I have a pair of Merrill Pace Gloves that were so very, very, VERY stinky. I put them in the washer, they don't smell new but I can no longer smell a strong funky feet smell when I am wearing them. Yes, they were so bad the stink traveled from my feet to my nose. :svengo:

I tried:

scrubbing with antibacterial soap and an old toothbrush

washing in the washing machine

soaking in a bucket of bleach water

I finally threw them away. The next year I bought another pair with an "improved" sole, and it was a little better. They still got stinky, but bleach water would fix it.

Something that should work, but on a pro-active level, rather than retro-active....soak your feet in a bowl of water that has had a teaspoon of lavender oil added to it. Soak for 10-20 mins. Repeat every 2 or 3 weeks. This should prevent your feet sweating so much & stinking up the shoes!

Throw them in the washing machine and add detergent and some Lysol disinfectant:

http://www.amazon.com/Lysol-Brand-Concentrate-Disinfectant-Original/dp/B000P9WR34/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344317831&sr=8-1&keywords=lysol+disinfectant

The stuff has a weird, strong Band-Aid sort of odor straight out of the bottle, but it does a great job for removing stains and odors in the laundry.

Then, put them outside in the sun to dry.

We've been doing this all summer and no issues here.

As a mom of two boys, I am not new to stinky shoes - unfortunatelyl! I heard this on the Dr. Oz tv show earlier this summer (now don't get me started about how much that man bugs me, but it's always on the tv at the gym where I work out in) anyway.....stick the shoes in the freezer overnight. It works every time!

Strange, but it really does work! So every night this summer, my two kids have stuck their sneaks in the freezer and took them out to "thaw" during breakfast.

Myra