Menu

If you purchased the Kindle with Special Offers,

do you wish you'd sprung for the one without? I'm trying to decide if the "special offers" will become an irritation or if it's worth the cost difference.

Also, which generation is the one currently offered? Sometimes the available accessories state the generation they are designed to fit.

tia

you can turn off the special offers and pay the difference in price. I have a few of both. I think in the future, I'll always buy the special offer ones- it hasn't been a problem. I have keyboard one for me which I love. My ds has a touch which has now been replaced twice - maybe he's just too hard on it, but I just bought him a good case so maybe this one will last longer. Amazon has been terrific about replacing them. I'm planning to get a keyboard for my older dd for her birthday this year and a touch for my younger for hers. We have an ipad, and I don't have any plans to buy a fire. I want a firm separation between books and movies.

I like mine with the ads - it's just the screensaver and a small banner on the bottom of the homepage. As soon as you open a book, they're gone. Sometimes there's an offer for mp3 credit, which is nice. What is the screensaver if you don't have ads?

do you wish you'd sprung for the one without? I'm trying to decide if the "special offers" will become an irritation or if it's worth the cost difference.

Also, which generation is the one currently offered? Sometimes the available accessories state the generation they are designed to fit.

tia

Tia, I've heard that they don't bother most people (even when they thought they would), and some have even asked for Amazon to add the special offers to their Kindle so they could take advantage of them. (Sometimes they're free MP3 credit, or a $20 giftcard for $10, etc.)

That said, you can start out with the special offers, then upgrade later if you don't like them.

If you order one now, you'll get either the Kindle (it's 4th generation), the Kindle Touch, Kindle Touch 3G, the Kindle Keyboard (same thing as 3rd Generation - they didn't discontinue this when introducing 4th gen products since it's still poplular), or the Kindle Fire (tablet).

I recommend a model with 3G in addition to the WiFi... I'm a heavy reader, and I like having the ability to download wherever I am. It's worth the different in price to me.

The Fire doesn't have 3G, but hopefully the new Fire coming out will. (I recommend that you wait for the new Fire, if you decide on a Fire, rather than purchase the one available now. I prefer the Kindles to the Fire when in comes to reading, though.)

If you go to this link, you'll see all the currently available Kindles lined up:

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-eReader-eBook-Reader-e-Reader-Special-Offers/dp/B0051QVESA

Hope this helps!

Dianna

My dd's Kindle has the ads. I waffled between the 2 versions forever before deciding to buy that one. The ads are NO problem whatsoever, very small and unobtrusive. There have been no eyebrow-raising ads either.

If she keeps the wi-fi off (which she does unless she needs to download a new book) for long enough, the ads stop running, lol. So if she's finishing up a book and doesn't need to download a new one for a while, she has an ad-free Kindle anyway! :)

Our kindles have the ads. For the kids it doesn't make a difference because theirs are rarely updated. They are only online when I'm downloading to them so they rarely have offers shown. I don't mind them for mine, I went in and selected which offers I wished to receive and I actually use quite a few. The $25 off of $50 purchase for back to school last year was great. I also use the money off toy purchases around Christmas, mp3 deals, etc. If I think it's something I'd consider then I download it to my email and look at it later. Half the time I have to remember to look at the ads.

Ds has the Touch with Special Offers, and he never even notices the ads. As others said, it's only the screen saver and a small banner ad on the bottom of the home page. You never see the ads when reading a book.

I actually wish the one that I have without offers had them. I kinda like the offers.

You can turn them on even if you didn't buy one with SO. Go to Manage Your Kindle, then Manage Your Devices. Under Special Offers, it will say unsubcribed, and will have an edit button next to it. You can change it to subscribed. I did it for my Kindle 3. I turned them off for a while, and decided just recently to turn them back on.

I like the offers.They often have book deals that are too hard to pass up!

:iagree: I've gotten great deals on a couple of books through the ads. The rest of the time, I don't even notice them. Amazon did a great job making them extremely unobtrusive.

I really like having the ads on mine. They are completely unobtrusive, so they don't interfere with reading at all, and sometimes the offers are pretty good!

If you're thinking of buying the $79 one, though, check Best Buy and Walmart's flyers to see if they're offering any bonus gift cards with your purchase. I got a $10 Best Buy card when I bought mine, but I know people have gotten up to $30 gift cards. With back-to-school sales starting, you might get lucky.