Menu

Do you LOVE Winning with Writing?

nova mama

As much as I've wanted Writing with Ease to work for us, DS10 still struggles with narration. (I still haven't figured out if it's attitude or aptitude.) I also have two younger students and a toddler, AND I'm not super confident in my ability to teach writing, so I thought Winning with Writing might be a good independent choice. So before I click Buy, I wanted to do one more survey of the Hive. I haven't found anyone who LOVES it. Has it worked for you? If so, please tell me DC's age and which level you use. Thank you in advance for saving our writing. :)

Edited by nova mama

I LOVE IT....LOL. I didn't feel confident in teaching writing and my boys really struggled with WWE. I really wanted to love WWE. I was bored to tears and my boys just didn't do well. I made the switch and never looked back. My boys are 11 now and we started at level 2 when they were 10. We had worked through WWE level 1 and half way through level 2. My boys zoomed through levels 2 and 3, we're skipping level 4 and moving onto 5. My boys have some learning challenges and WWW was just what they needed to get a good grasp on writing and get "caught up". The lessons are short and really break the lessons down for them. It just seems to work for them.

Edited by twinmami01

I am a big WWW fan. I have only used levels 2 and 3 so far, and I have bought level 4 for this coming year.

I think it is excellent for teaching structure (i.e. how to write a paragraph, other types of writing such as the "friendly letter", etc.). However, I think IEW is a lot better at teaching style FYI.

We've done level 2 and are maybe 25% through level 3. While I don't love it like I do BA or some other materials, I love that it gets done, that it doesn't leave either of us tearing our hair out, and that it doesn't require anything from me. We have so much teacher intensive stuff that I need a few wbs that the kids can do entirely on their own!

We've done level 2 and are maybe 25% through level 3. While I don't love it like I do BA or some other materials, I love that it gets done, that it doesn't leave either of us tearing our hair out, and that it doesn't require anything from me. We have so much teacher intensive stuff that I need a few wbs that the kids can do entirely on their own!

:iagree: at our house, if it get's done, it works.

I like what I am hearing: it gets done, no hair-tearing. We definitely have a hump to get over. I hope we can work our way back to WWE or even WWS one day. Thank you for all of the responses so far. I was thinking of starting with level 3. Maybe 4?

I wouldn't say I LOVE it, but I do like it.

My son is writing-phobic, (and I'm pretty sure he has dysgraphia.)

Other writing programs practically caused him to hyperventilate.

WWW did at first, too when he saw all of those blank lines (we're using level 5) but when I told him not to worry about the lines because I would allow him to type his paragraphs - he relaxed. The assignments themselves he somewhat enjoys, and writing is getting done.

At first I did not to be honest but I wanted to try something different. We do GWG with it. Now my oldest, who is delayed has huge lightbulb aha moments and he gets it.

If it works for my two, easy and quick - I am game! I also go back later and make my own review tests using a combination of different things from previous tests and lessons to make sure things are not forgotten.

We're trying to get over two writing humps here... 2 of my kiddos aren't ready for the next level of WWE/WWS... so I looked at WWW for an "inbetween" thing until some maturity happens. I think it looks good and lots of people say there are no tears associated with it and it gets done. That is probably just what you need!

I've looked at WWW and a few other writing programs and decided to go with Writing Strands. We use GWG for some kids and I'm not too fond of the format (although it works well for my kids who hate grammar). Not sure I could deal with writing in that same format... so we're going to try WS.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm using WWW for the first time this year with my 2nd grader. I put him in Level 2, which right now (after 9 days of school) is pretty easy for him. The verdict's still out, but so far it's the only writing program I've found that easily slips into our school schedule. As others have said, it's pretty independent and it gets DONE, which I like. I've also found that just having your kid read a lot (or reading TO them) helps make them better writers in general.

Oh-oh - I am going to be the rain on the parade on this one. We tried Level 3 last year (DD was 8 & grade 3) and Level 6 (DS was 10 & grade 5).

Kids liked it because it was so simple and quick to get done :glare:

But I really don't think they learned a whole heck of a lot to be honest. We had come from WWE and it just didn't feel as though it was enough.

I think it would be fine for a year if you just need a break, and still want them doing some kind of writing or if other life stuff is more pressing and you really need more independent stuff for the kids to do. But I can't see it being a solid, progressive program that would be enough to have your kiddos ready for more advanced logic stage writing.

We are doing IEW SWI-A online classes for DD8 and IEW SWI-B online classes for DS11 this year and oh.my.gosh, it is much, much better than what they were doing with WWW.

I have a question for those that like http://WWW.....

What year did you begin with? I'm curious is anyone started from the beginning.

We'll be doing 1st this year & I've got other plans for writing (Draw...Then Write), but am considering picking WWW up in 2nd.

I don't know if I qualify for this. I use it as a supplement to WWE. I like it, but it seems way too skimpy to me to be a full writing program. I do like the ease and independence it has, but could not use it as the sole source of writing instruction. As a supplement to get a reluctant writer writing a bit more some days, it works.

BUT...ds8 easily started in WWW3 this year. Ds6 is doing WWW1 and there's nothing that a 2nd grader would miss.

• 1 month later...

We did not LOVE WWW here, we did not feel it had enough actual writing instruction, just assignments. I wanted so badly to use WWS, but dd is such a reluctant writer, it became too overwhelming.

We have just started Essentials in Writing, and I think may have hit the nail on the head. Dd likes the DVD instruction, and although WWW is a good program, I think EIW offers more instruction.

Someone here at TWTM gave me (free :001_wub:) WWW3 for my son who struggles with writing. It suffers from the same problems that GWG does, which are that it's very formulaic and not very demanding in terms of understanding concept versus just filling in blanks. It's ok for this year, but when we finish it I am just going to put my son in a vintage writing book from Google books and call it a day. I'm no longer going to worry about how quickly we are progressing with writing. He can't go any faster than he can, ya know?

Tara

I don't know if I qualify for this. I use it as a supplement to WWE. I like it, but it seems way too skimpy to me to be a full writing program. I do like the ease and independence it has, but could not use it as the sole source of writing instruction. .

:iagree:

We have great success with WWW3 along with WWE3. Dd8 loves her blue writing workbook. :)

This is our second year with WWW, and we have done 3 levels (we are moving more quickly because we are behind). Do I love it? No, but I like that it is solid, basic instruction. What I don't like about it is that at the upper levels it is a little too repetitious. I don't like the slower pace, and the idea of a all the rough drafts of outlines, then outlines, the rough sentences then full sentences. It became too confusing, so I have simplified the instructions and eliminated some of the duplicate assignments that are overkill.

I still like it though as it is a very thorough, step by step program that helps ensure I don't forget to cover certain things.

We are supplementing with IEW as well, as I also think their approach is hugely important, but it is more the next step after you learn the basics, and it doesn't cover some of the more fundamental things. Together, I think we will have a very solid program.

Cindy