Menu

To follow up on HappyGrace's post on just reading widely in 4th...

I'm definitely :bigear: for this!

A science website (maybe Scientific American?) we occasionally visit recently listed these books that every parent should buy:

The Flying Machine Book: Build and Launch 35 Rockets, Gliders, Helicopters, Boomerangs, and More

Scholastic's Discover More series

The Ultimate Book of Saturday Science: The Very Best Backyard Science Experiments You Can Do Yourself

Ocean Sunlight: How Tiny Plants Feed the Seas

Disclaimer: I haven't had a chance to look at any of these books yet, but thought I'd throw the list out there to get the ball rolling.

I am familiar with a bunch of those books and the reading level is pretty low for most-GREAT books though! And there are some on there that would work-Archimedes, Bowditch-we did these as readalouds this yr-they would have been a little hard for him as read alone. Diary of Early Amer, etc-good as readalouds.

ETA: I meant the books on the blog, not the ones mo2 mentioned!

Definitely going to order some from that blog though-great list. Just be aware that the reading level is all over the map so look at them on Amazon first.

I think it's hard to find non-fiction books that are just the right level for a 9-10 yr old who is not an interested reader. Most non-fiction books usually seem to be either above or below level.

Edited by HappyGrace

And if you are willing to do projects, I have fallen in love with books from Nomad press. They have both history and science.

I have a few of the history ones and they are readable with great information and fun projects as well. We are going to use a bunch of them for history but I may end up doing some of the science ones as well.

http://nomadpress.net/

The View from the Oak - Kohl. This was the first nonfiction book Miss P read on her own after we started hsing (4th grade). It is wonderful, kind of ethology/zoology I guess, about the world from the point of view (spatial, temporal) of all the different critters that live in and around an oak tree.

She also really like How Whales Walked Into the Sea by Faith McNulty (about evolution), and the Bobbie Kalman science readers - we did Ecology last year, so she read What is a Biome, What is the Animal Kingdom, What are Food Chains and Webs. They are very readable but very informative.

Those are the standouts that she read on her own. We also really enjoyed The Magic of Reality by Dawkins, but that was a read aloud.

The One Small Square series and Basher books are good for a child about that age to read on their own. I've also found Keeping Clean, A Very Peculiar History to be interesting and informative. There are a couple of other books in the series, I think. The Story Book of Science and Fabre's Book of Insects might be a stretch, but are informative. Books like CHOW, A Picturesque Tale of Progress and SOTW could also be read by the student. Ariel really enjoys and has learned from Britannia: 100 Great Stories from British History and D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths. There's also the Horrible History, Horrible Science and Murderous Maths books, and the Magic Treehouse Research Guides, which cover all kinds of science and history topics in a way that's kid-friendly. For geography we have The Amazing Pop-Up Geography Book ad A Child's Introduction to the World (which we both think is neat because it includes a pop up globe!).

Here are three science based books that would be on that level. I used them as read alouds for my dd in 1st and she loved all three!

The Kid Who Invented the Popsicle

The Kid Who Invented the Trampoline

The Truth About Poop I know this one sounds really gross, but it was actually a very interesting book that combines history and science.

These are super good! My dd enjoyed reading them last year (age 12), but they probably span ages. They're quirky and narrative. Our library keeps them in the teen non-fiction section, which is a really interesting place to look when your kids take that step up from juvenile. I've just found I underutilized the library over the years. Their teen section is actually really fascinating. Tends to be smaller, so it's easy to go in and find a gem.

The One Small Square series and Basher books are good for a child about that age to read on their own. I've also found Keeping Clean, A Very Peculiar History to be interesting and informative. There are a couple of other books in the series, I think. The Story Book of Science and Fabre's Book of Insects might be a stretch, but are informative. Books like CHOW, A Picturesque Tale of Progress and SOTW could also be read by the student. Ariel really enjoys and has learned from Britannia: 100 Great Stories from British History and D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths. There's also the Horrible History, Horrible Science and Murderous Maths books, and the Magic Treehouse Research Guides, which cover all kinds of science and history topics in a way that's kid-friendly. For geography we have The Amazing Pop-Up Geography Book ad A Child's Introduction to the World (which we both think is neat because it includes a pop up globe!).

YES!! My daughter loves the Magic Treehouse Research guides. And I just looked up the Amazing Pop-Up Geography Book and I am in love!

Heather

I have a basket of rotating science books that I find at the library. At this moment, I have the following:

Jean Craighead George's The 13 Moons series

Seymour Simon books, such as The Human Body and Lungs

Theodore Gray's The Elements

Jim Arnosky's Creep and Flutter

Basher's Chemistry

Catherine Thimmesh's Girls Think of Everything;

and a couple of picture books such as Jason Chin's Coral Reefs and Redwoods, although these do contain enough information to interest a 4th grader.

Love this thread (and the original). These are some books I'm considering (short list because it's from my bookshelves):

* Child's History of the World

* Holling C. Holling books

* CLP Nature readers; some of the selections in their Eclectic readers are also non-fiction

* James Baldwin books

* Find the Constellations (this is part of our science, we might team read it)

* The Wright Brothers at Kitty Hawk (Scholastic - for later in the year) - I'll probably be looking for more biographies of scientists & inventors - my eldest LOVES to build things.

An Imponderable book.

http://www.amazon.com/David-Feldman/e/B000AQ3DUI/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1343608258&sr=1-1

Don't start with "Why Don't Cats like to Swim" because it is a reprint of his first book. So some of the Imponderables are a bit out of date. (1980 - mentions things such as record players...)

I find these books can make nice read alouds because they have the look and feel of a chapter book. So no side bars, no extra information in boxes...

Great thread......

George's Key to the Universe by Stephen Hawkins

George's cosmic Treasure Hunt by Stephen Hawkins

George's Big Bang by Stephen Hawkins

My son loves space! Also,

The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet by Eleanor Cameron

Stowaway to the Mushroom Plant by Eleanor Cameron

Mr Bass's Planetoid by Eleanor Cameron

A Mystery for Mr. Bass by Eleanor Cameron

Time and Mr. Bass by Eleanor Cameron

He is now into Ancient Egypt and is reading "The Red Pyramid" by Rick Riordon

I am checking out what others listed now :) Thanks.