Menu

X-post: Mystery recs please - - - I'm out of my league here

DD the Elder has lately begun to read mysteries. I've set her up with Agatha Christie on her e-reader, Cadfael, and Sherlock Holmes. After this I'm as stumped, as it is not a genre I've explored myself. I'm hoping the Hive can recommend some relatively child-friendly mysteries. She's 10, but reads above her age content-wise. Oblique sexual references are okay, but nothing graphic; and she prefers no more than a passing description of blow-by-blow acts of realistic violence, so "gritty" is probably out.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have. :001_smile:

For kids, the Enola Holmes mysteries are fun. Also "The Pharaoh's Secret" by Marissa Moss. There are some good mysteries that are above Nancy Drew but still for kids--ask your librarian.

If you're going for more grown-up books, I would say to stick with the cozy British golden age for maximum ease. Patricia Wentworth would work. Margery Allingham, Ngaio Marsh, and the queen Dorothy Sayers might be a little too difficult to read. Try Josephine Tey?

Sherlock Holmes was preceded by the Mystery of a Hansom Cab and The Leavenworth Case--both classics that would work for you.

I love the Sister Fidelma mysteries (Peter Tremayne, I believe, is the author). These are set in 6th-7th century ancient Ireland and have tons of historical details effortlessly incorporated into them. I don't think there is blow-by-blow graphic violence, but you could pre-read them and double check my memory.

Do you think she's ready for any of the Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries? I really enjoyed those around her age. I assume she's read the Mysterious Benedict Society series? Also, I just heard about The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica series (1st book is "Here, there be Dragons") by James A. Owen. I can't necessarily recommend them, but only because I haven't read any; however, they are on my ds11's reading list and sound really interesting.

I know there's some I'm missing; but, progesterone poisoning has never agreed with me and I think I'm losing brain cells at an astronomical rate. <sigh>

good clean adult mysteries that my son read at that age were:

Lilian Jackson Braun "The Cat Who" mysteries.

Dorothy Gilman "Mrs. Polifax" mysteries.

Emily Brightwell "Mrs. Jeffries" mysteries.

Has she read the old Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books? They aren't classics but they are fun. (I like the older ones better than the newer ones because they seem less dumbed down to me.) They are definitely lower in language level than Agatha Christie etc. though.

DS was a real mystery-lover at that age:

- Samurai mystery series (Hoobler) -- boy protagonist; 1700s Japan

- Roman mystery series (Lawrence) -- girl protagonist; ancient Rome

- Detectives in Togas; Mystery of the Roman Ransom (Winterfeld) -- boys; ancient Rome

- The Three Investigators series (Alfred Hitchcock) -- boys; written in the 1950s/60s

- Baker Street Irregulars (Robert Newman) -- and others in the series by Newman; boy protagonist

- Chasing Vermeer (Bailliet) -- and others by this author; girl protagonist

Mini-Mystery collections by: Sobol; Conrad; Sukach; Obrist; Weber; and others -- also the You Be the Jury series (Miller)

No personal experience, but the Mandie series (Lois Leppard) is a girl protagonist, with books by a Christian author, and geared for girls ages 8-13. Also check out the Trixie Belden series (Kathryn Kenny).

Sometimes the OLD series can be a kick: Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Bobbsey Twins, Happy Hollisters...

For gentle adult series, you might check out this "Cozy Mystery" list.

While I can appreciate wanting to provide reading material at her much higher comprehension level, I just want to suggest that adult mysteries usually contain mature ideas and references that may not really appeal or connect with a 10yo. As a result, I mostly provided books at a pre-teen, young-teen reading level/interest level. Since you are feeding an interest in mysteries here, rather than looking for challenging literature to discuss/analyze for schoolwork, I would think it would be fine to give her children's/young adult works...

The quality adult mystery works I would recommend, I would hold off until about age 14, regardless of reading level. I just think there are more connections, and hence, more appreciation by waiting a little longer on these works. (various Agatha Christie series; Father Brown series (Chesterton); Cadfael series (Peters); No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series (Smith); various works by Dorothy Sayers; various works by PD James (VERY ADULT!!); etc.)

Just a thought! BEST of luck in finding what's of interest and the best fit for DD! Warmly, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

There are a couple of pre Agatha Christie authors on e readers for free that would be appropriate:

Mary Roberts Rinehart and Anna Katherine Green

Other authors I would recommend are Dorothy Sayors and Lillian Jackson Braun. I personally would wait on Cadifel-- a bit dark. Not quite the clever formula mystery I think you want.

John Grisham has a series for younger readers staring Theodore Boone. Quite good. Dd loved the "Lady Grace " mysteries when she was that age. Also loved Trixie Beldon.

I'd highly recommend the Mrs. Pollifax series.

:iagree:

I also seem to remember that the "Father Brown" mysteries were good and clean. DD is a huge mystery fan and has read the Red Pyramid and its sequel, and loved them. They are a mystery/mythology mix. I would also second Chasing Vermeer if she hasn't already read it.

I can't wait to hear all of the other suggestions!!!

P.S. DD would say she MUST read the Hardy Boys! :D

There are a couple of pre Agatha Christie authors on e readers for free that would be appropriate:

Mary Roberts Rinehart and Anna Katherine Green

Thanks!

I personally would wait on Cadifel-- a bit dark. Not quite the clever formula mystery I think you want.
She's about halfway through the series. It's set in a period of history she's particularly interested in (I would have bet she'd have gone for the Tudors, but no), so I think that's part of the appeal.

I'd highly recommend the Mrs. Pollifax series.

:iagree::iagree: For an advanced 10 year old reader, yup.
A popular choice! :D I've put the first book on hold and am working through this and the other thread.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Too often I'm at a loss with her as to where to go next with her, because I just can't keep up. It's comforting to have others' experience to fall back on at times like these. :001_smile:

Here's a link to the other thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?p=4133601

The Sammy Keyes series was a hit with my dd, even though she was older than the recommended 9yo+ age range. LOL They're funny!

Also, Blue Balliett's books: Chasing Vermeer, The Wright 3, The Calder Game and The Danger Box. Dd LOVED these.

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin.

The Sammy Keyes series was a hit with my dd, even though she was older than the recommended 9yo+ age range. LOL They're funny!

Also, Blue Balliett's books: Chasing Vermeer, The Wright 3, The Calder Game and The Danger Box. Dd LOVED these.

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin.

Thanks. :001_smile:

She particularly enjoyed The Westing Game, and has read all the others. This is a child I just can't keep up with. On the bright side, she can be in charge of recommending books for her sister. :tongue_smilie:

I loved Josephine Tey (especially Brat Farrar) in late elementary/middle school, along with Ngaio Marsh and Michael Gilbert (the one who wrote British mysteries in the 50s-- not surprisingly there are several authors with that name). I also liked mystery/suspense melodramas by Mary Stewart and Daphne du Maurier, which come across as enjoyably campy to modern eyes if she has that kind of a sense of humor.

• 2 months later...