Menu

What is the end-all/be-all anti-persp/deodorant for male teens?

What we have is not working. Dh is not one to produce much for sweat or odor. Unfortunately, the middle boy did not take after him and is somewhat oblivious. He does shower every morning. So, I need something stronger.

Please nominate your anti-stink go-to remedies for teen boys.

As the girls in the youth group like to say to the boysin the group every.single.time. they are going anywhere in close proximity to each other and in particular, sharing a vehicle - "DEODORANT IS NOT OPTIONAL!" :lol:

Faith

If he just stinks, than Red Zone old spice seems to work well for most men. but if he sweats excessivley too...soaking his shirt a lot, than there is something you can get over the counter called Certain Dry that is a roll on. You put it on at night, and it shrinks the pores or something...all I know is that without it I couldn't ever show myself in public. He can wear a deodarant during the day, but use this at night. I find it at the grocery store, on the very bottom shelf usually. http://www.certaindri.com/Pages/CD_Home

My particularly stinky oldest uses unscented Speed Stick solid. It is not easy to find the unscented version. However, maybe he isn't really particularly stinky. I grew up with all girls, so I really only have DH and my dad to compare him to. He is stinkier than both of them.

It will not combat the stink of a soccer game, though.

Guest Shellygibbs

I agree antiperspirants really works, but lifestyle modification is very important if you are not having a healthy lifestyle. Sage tea is also very effective in Hyperhidrosis.

Doesn't this just mask odor? I have found deodorants just cover smell while anti-persperants have the stuff in it to prevent as much perspiration. Or does the tea tree oil help with the perspiration?

Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil Deodorant Stick. It worked for DS 15 when others failed.

Doesn't this just mask odor? I have found deodorants just cover smell while anti-persperants have the stuff in it to prevent as much perspiration. Or does the tea tree oil help with the perspiration?

Tea Tree Oil has anti-bacterial properties (which is where the odor comes from, as I understand it), so it prevents odor. It doesn't just mask it. It is not an antiperspirant; we don't do those.

Raid.

:lol:

First, ask him to show you how he washes his armpits. He may not be doing a good job, which means he has more bacteria left on his skin/hair to cause odor. Second, once or twice a week have him use rubbing alcohol on his armpits AFTER he has done a good job washing. He needs to get it on the hair, too. Third, use an antiperspirant, not just a deodorant. If the 17% aluminium stuff doesn't cut the smell after good washing and use of rubbing alcohol, go up to 22% or 25% aluminium. Mitchum works well.

Interesting.

I have two good friends who use only all natural products and they both have B.O. quite frequently. I would never tell them that, but they do.

One uses Melaleuca and I think the other uses Tom's. I don't know if either of those have Tea Tree Oil in them. If they don't, they should try it. But I am not mentioning it!

Dawn

Tea Tree Oil has anti-bacterial properties (which is where the odor comes from, as I understand it), so it prevents odor. It doesn't just mask it. It is not an antiperspirant; we don't do those.

:lol:

Interesting.

I have two good friends who use only all natural products and they both have B.O. quite frequently. I would never tell them that, but they do.

One uses Melaleuca and I think the other uses Tom's. I don't know if either of those have Tea Tree Oil in them. If they don't, they should try it. But I am not mentioning it!

Dawn

Yeah, Tom's is not the greatest. We tried several of their varieties with DS and none worked-- he still smelled. ;) The TTO seems to do the trick though. YMMV.

I don't worry about being stinky and not knowing. My MIL would absolutely say something, so she's my litmus test. :D

Look for clinical strength strength deodorants. Dd had to use clinical for a couple of years, and can now use non- clinical Degree.

:iagree: Maybe even try some of the "women's" deodorants? EK uses Secret Clinical Strength. She had terrible odor problems until we tried this. The pediatrician suggested using a SPRAY antiperspirant/deodorant, and she did that for awhile. It seemed to help a lot, but didn't eliminate the problem completely. The Secret Clinical Strength did. he tried the Dove Clinical Strength, but the Secret worked better.

I just read an article somewhere (wish I remembered where!) that recommended trying Oxy 5 facial cleanser for this!

Era: found it! It was in Redbook. They recommend a moisture-wicking powder like Zeasorb Used over your deodorant or

Washing underarms once a day with a facial cleanser containing benzoyl peroxide like Oxy 5.

Edited by bzymom

old spice antiperspirant / deodorant works wonderful for my newly stinky one. Nothing else did. Plus having him change shirt as well as clean armpits. My son tends to try and wear the same shirt for the day that he wore to bed. So instructions are change shirt in morning and change shirt before go to bed. Clean pits in the morning and in the evening.

I know he prob does, but does he use an anti-bacterial soap for washing? My older son STANK to high heaven. It started out of nowhere. I bought some anti-bacterial soap and it went away like magic. He didn't sweat much, he just stank. My son is a dancer and I think he had some skin-stink-funk from being sweaty from dance all the time. Oh, it was terrible.

I am guessing this is no help, but I wanted to make sure all your bases were covered.