Menu

s/o Companies with political stands

We all see the Chick-fil-A hoopla. Some people want to boycott the restaurant. So how do we find out about other companies? I knew Chick-fil-A was religious but I didn't know what they were doing with their money. What about other restaurants or stores? People talk about supporting companies that believe in the same things they do, but how do people find out what companies share their beliefs? I just shop where I get a good deal and eat food that I like. I've never thought about politics when it comes to my consumerism. Am I an oddball?

If I boycotted everything that took a stance I didn't agree with I'd starve and never leave the house. I'd never turn on the TV or pick up a book or a magazine. And I'd never surf the net. Heck, I probably couldn't find a computer manufacturer that didn't donate money some place I'd never send mine.

To each there own.

Not really responsible of me, but I rely on one of my friends to give me information about companies that are not acting socially responsibly or use their profits for purposes I don't agree with. My friend is single and has always worked for human rights organizations and has constant access to this information. I do base many of my purchasing decisions on things she has told and shown me. If I didn't have her for a resource, I'm not sure how much delving I would do on my own.

As far as food goes, about 8 years ago, I started reading about how to cure depression without pills, and that got me into reading about the food industry and how appalling it actually is. So, now my food purchases are very different than they used to be.

For me, there is one topic that I won't bend my beliefs on what-so-ever. Every once and awhile, I google the topic name and other relavent search terms, so I can stay up to date, as businesses have a change of heart from time to time. On this particular topic, there are a few main websites that continually research and then list companies that donate money to organizations that support this topic. That is how I know which companies that I will or will not support.

This has been fairly easy, as there are so many others brands and companies choose from, besides the ones that donate to organizations I will not support.

No, you're not an oddball. I try to refrain from doing business with companies that act directly in ways I find intolerable as part of their business model - and over the many years that's meant not buying from Nestle, Gap, California grape-growers, Shell, and Disney - I don't care to patronize companies that knowingly use sweatshop and/or child labor, abuse their workers, or injure their customers, is all.

But like you, I don't have the time, energy, or inclination to care about corporate public statements, donations, or publicity stunts. Call me callous. Besides, there's a Sonic only a few blocks away. :D

If I boycotted everything that took a stance I didn't agree with I'd starve and never leave the house. I'd never turn on the TV or pick up a book or a magazine. And I'd never surf the net. Heck, I probably couldn't find a computer manufacturer that didn't donate money some place I'd never send mine.

To each there own.

True. However, if you choose just one or two issues that you feel strongly about, it is possible and fairly easy to do.

I try to shop in a manner that keeps the most money as close to home as possible. So I try to buy and eat at locally owned stores. Here's my preference list:

1. Locally owned store selling a lot of local merchandise

2. Locally owned store selling items made in Colorado/USA

3. Colorado owned store (same ranking as above)

4. Franchise (a lot of money still stays local)

5. Chain (most money goes to where the chain is headquartered)

However, I do take value into consideration also- sometimes I need some cheap clothing. That's usually made over seas.

As far as political ideas go, I'm a fiscal conservative but a social liberal... so I can't get on board with most people's over all agenda. In homeschooling circles, I generally get along better with the structured conservative Christians than the un-schooling liberals. (Until they find our I'm an atheist, then all hell breaks loose. LOL!)

If this is serious to someone then they should research everyone they shop with and consider politics from the ground up of the product. I wonder if we wouldn't find something we disagreed with in most every company.

Of course, in exactly the same way that I have never yet found a political candidate with whom I agree 100%.

And I do still shop at some businesses with whom I disagree on some fundamental things. My approach is that I try to find alternatives as often as i can and to minimize the amount of money I spend with such businesses.

I also write letters and e-mails to the coporate offices letting them know what steps I am taking and why.

I try to shop in a manner that keeps the most money as close to home as possible. So I try to buy and eat at locally owned stores. Here's my preference list:

1. Locally owned store selling a lot of local merchandise

2. Locally owned store selling items made in Colorado/USA

3. Colorado owned store (same ranking as above)

4. Franchise (a lot of money still stays local)

5. Chain (most money goes to where the chain is headquartered)

However, I do take value into consideration also- sometimes I need some cheap clothing. That's usually made over seas.

As far as political ideas go, I'm a fiscal conservative but a social liberal... so I can't get on board with most people's over all agenda. In homeschooling circles, I generally get along better with the structured conservative Christians than the un-schooling liberals. (Until they find our I'm an atheist, then all hell breaks loose. LOL!)

Ooh, you'd fit in so well around here.:D You know, the whole "Keep Austin Weird" meme was originally a Shop Locally campaign. And like the Farmers and the Ranchers, in these parts the atheists and the believers, the unschoolers and the classical educators, are all friends.

I agree that I can't doing a 100% job 100% of the time, but I try and do what I can. It's getting to be harder and harder to do boycotts as most companies are owned by another. It's even harder when you follow a long-term boycott and companies trade business like they are playing Go Fish!

Google has their Legalise Love campaign, which despite its name (and initial reports) is not about marriage equality, but is still cool. :001_smile:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/innovations/post/google-legalize-love-campaign-isnt-about-gay-marriage/2012/07/08/gJQAN3PQWW_blog.html

http://www.google.com/diversity/legalise-love.html

I don't know all the details of the chicken place, but if a company were to be very outwardly supporting something very controversial, then I would personally think they are trying to have a target audience. Maybe I would not want to be around that group of people they are trying to lure.

I don't shop at Walmart. I'm not sure if that's for political reasons anymore. I just hate the store.

I buy local food as much as possible. Today, I saw peaches from Cal in my grocery store. Why? Peaches are coming in now in VA. I didn't buy the Cal peaches. Summer/fall I try to go to farmer's markets.

I want to buy American made/manufactured. That's hard. Frequently, I can't find American made/manufactured. We've had policies for years that have allowed/encouraged factories to shut down. Something I do regularly buy is the New Balance 993 running shoes. Most New Balance shoes are not American made these are and my son and I wear them. But if they didn't fit my foot I well I wouldn't choose them. Some people just can't wear that model or brand.

I agree that I can't doing a 100% job 100% of the time, but I try and do what I can. It's getting to be harder and harder to do boycotts as most companies are owned by another. It's even harder when you follow a long-term boycott and companies trade business like they are playing Go Fish!

No kidding!

I will usually purposely shop somewhere to support something rather than avoid shopping somewhere because of some stance the company has taken. I could probably find something to get upset about with every place I shop.

It's somewhat ironic that most of the companies I'd *want* to boycott are not ones I'd likely do business with anyway. :001_huh:

It's somewhat ironic that most of the companies I'd *want* to boycott are not ones I'd likely do business with anyway. :001_huh:

Same here, except for CFA.

I haven't been there in over a year, though, and won't be going back.

On mornings when I'd want the car, and I'd take dh to work, I'd always go pick up a bunch of little chicken minis. They are served on these little yeasty roll biscuit things that are so so so good. I must find a copy cat recipe.

Google has their Legalise Love campaign, which despite its name (and initial reports) is not about marriage equality, but is still cool. :001_smile:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/innovations/post/google-legalize-love-campaign-isnt-about-gay-marriage/2012/07/08/gJQAN3PQWW_blog.html

http://www.google.com/diversity/legalise-love.html

Totally boring unless they allow conjugal visits to employees.

I mean, if prisons have them, why not Google?

We peruse the ratings from the Human Rights Campaign every year: http://www.hrc.org/apps/buyersguide/index.php

I also read the news and am signed up for newsletters from organizations whose missions I support.

Plus, I have a politcally aware teenage daughter, who makes SURE I know where I'm supposed to shop.

Interesting. The places I like to shop have ratings of 90.