Menu

Amazon buying WWYD now?

I ordered a TM on Amazon that just arrived today. :banghead: Forgot to check the seller feedback. :banghead: He's a new seller with only 2 feedbacks and one indicates the same problem of condition (but still gave him a 5 out of 5 :confused: ) So, anyway, he listed the book Like New and says, "Flawless condition. No writing in the book." This "flawless" book has two dinged corners, a smashed edge (pb) and is actually torn and taped in one spot. It's not terrible, probably "good" condition, but it is definitely not "like new" or "flawless". So I wrote him an email. This is his response, "I am very sorry about the problem with this book. Unfortunately, I do not believe there is any sort of return policy for used books such as this. I have researched Amazon's policies and I haven't seen anything that could help you out. My sincere apologies." What would you do at this point? A) I could fill out a return request through the Amazon page, thus educating him on the fact that he can, in fact, do something. (but good grief, can't a seller figure this out before selling. Has he never bought on Az before?) B) Skip trying to work with him and file a claim. C) Some other option I haven't thought of? Obviously he's not a big seller who's going to just refund my money and not leave me with the hassle of returning it. That's fine. I'll take it to the post office. But I have 5 kids I may use this for, I do not want a book that's already worn. I'd have bought from a different seller or just gotten it new if I knew this is what I was goign to get.

Contact him.

If he won't refund or accept a return, amazon will, under their a to z guarantee. He really has no choice, so don't think he's exempt because he's small.

You certainly are covered. Doesn't matter how much feedback he's got.

Contact him.

If he won't refund or accept a return, amazon will, under their a to z guarantee. He really has no choice, so don't think he's exempt because he's small.

:iagree: And leave him HONEST feedback. Amazon will deal with it. Contact the number at the bottom of the order screen and they will help you in an instant.

I would cut and paste the "Like New" description, include a detailed description of everything wrong with the book, and include a photo. I would plainly state that he misrepresented the book and that you expect a full refund, including shipping. I have had to do this numerous times, offering to return a book, if they will send a carrier to the house. I am not willing to go to the post office and pay return shipping for a misrepresented book. I have been given a refund 100% of the time. One seller sent me an envelope with twice as much cash as what I had paid. :001_huh:

If he does not agree, I would go through Amazon. I feel that misrepresented books should not be handled as straight returns, like someone just changed their mind. I'll get off my soapbox now. :lol: Obviously this is a sore spot for me. I only order "Like New" books, and I expect them to look like new. :tongue_smilie:

Good luck!

ETA: I have never been asked to return a book. Only one seller was able to produce another copy of the book. Everyone else gave me a refund and told me to keep the book as a token of their apology.

Edited by Julianna

Yeah, most sellers have refunded without a return with no trouble at all. Just did that last week with a "very good" ancient, ex-library book with a broken binding. (the kind I would have been happy to pay 50c at a book sale for) I've only had trouble on Az once before and that was a college book, "like new" that obviously had been tossed in a backpack with open markers and pens for a semester. She did offer a refund, with a return. But I just kept it, since dh was already a week into class.

Yeah, he won't be exempt. I just wish I had remembered to check feedback before buying. Then I would have skipped his and moved on to the next seller. Usually, I remember to do that when comparing books listed similarly. Oh, well.

I like Julianna's advice to email him again. Didn't see it before. :D I sent him a return request through the order page, linking Amazon's condition guidelines. We'll see what he does now. If he still refuses, I'll open a claim. And, yes, I am not paying to ship this back.

File a claim and get AMZ involved. Something similar happened to me recently with AMZ seller. She dumped a paperback textbook into a huge box with no packaging and all of the pages were bent, torn etc due to shipment. I filed a claim and offered to settle for a percentage off the original price. Amazon gave me a full refund. At a minimum, you deserve a break on the price. FOrget the seller and deal with the company!

But try with the seller first. Even the info on the a to z guarantee says

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_cn?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200783670

You must first contact the seller through Your Account before filing a claim.

And also

If you receive your item and it is damaged, defective, or materially different, you must contact the seller within fourteen (14) days of receipt to request return information.

She did already.

This bozo needs to be put in place. File immediately and keep that email.

Oh, how did I miss that? I thought she was the one worrying about that.

There certainly is a guarantee. I guess he'll figure it out the hard way! If you were feeling charitable, link him to info on the a to z guarantee. In any case, file.

I bought the Human Odyssey, Vol 1 on Amazon, listed as new, but when I got it, it had about 20 pages cut out of it, as well as some writing in it. The seller was gracious, but I handled communication and the return through Amazon. I wouldn't even discuss it with the seller anymore -- go ahead and file for a return. I got all of my money back, plus shipping, but unfortunately, by the time all that was resolved, the price went up on Amazon so now I'm still without the book.

If you want to return it - go to your amazon account, look up the item and say you want to return it because item is not as described. write in the description box all the things wrong with it - and don't skimp. the seller has to pay return postage (amazon will collect it from him), and several times amazon has even picked up at my house so I don't have to take it anywhere. (they send a link to print off the address label - you do need good quality packing tape.)

I've NEVER had any trouble returning something on amazon. including one like yours -described as almost new, but lots of writing.

Edited by gardenmom5

If you want to be super gracious, you can point out the A to Z guarantee info to him, tell him exactly what you expect from him in order to be able to leave good feedback, and give him the chance to respond quickly and correctly before you file. You can leave (relatively) good feedback AND include the info about the incorrect description, if he steps up to the plate.

I would cut and paste the "Like New" description, include a detailed description of everything wrong with the book, and include a photo. I would plainly state that he misrepresented the book and that you expect a full refund, including shipping. I have had to do this numerous times, offering to return a book, if they will send a carrier to the house. I am not willing to go to the post office and pay return shipping for a misrepresented book. I have been given a refund 100% of the time. One seller sent me an envelope with twice as much cash as what I had paid. :001_huh:

If he does not agree, I would go through Amazon. I feel that misrepresented books should not be handled as straight returns, like someone just changed their mind. I'll get off my soapbox now. :lol: Obviously this is a sore spot for me. I only order "Like New" books, and I expect them to look like new. :tongue_smilie:

Good luck!

ETA: I have never been asked to return a book. Only one seller was able to produce another copy of the book. Everyone else gave me a refund and told me to keep the book as a token of their apology.

You can go through all of this but really don't have to. Simply go to your account, then to current orders, at the book click on return or some such, it will ask for a reason, give simple explanation. They will give you return postage.

Sadly, I have had to do it.

Well, after filing for a return, for the reason "Different from website description". He put the return through, but it wants me to pay return shipping. Sigh.

try putting in defective - that makes clear it is unacceptable.

I just had this happen, the book was represented as "very good" and it is more like "acceptable." I still need the book (for dd college) and replacements a month later (they delayed shipping until I inquired a week and a half later) are just as expensive. I wrote and asked for a credit of some of the price because of misrepresentation of condition. I need to keep the book. I just want some of my money back.

Contact amazon customer service. That's what I usually do instead of trying to figure out the maze of the returns process at least for their stuff. You shouldn't accept paying return shipping.

:iagree: This guy is just trying to string you along and hoping you'll accept something that puts him out less money. You don't have to do that--just contact Amazon's customer service.

:iagree: This guy is just trying to string you along and hoping you'll accept something that puts him out less money. You don't have to do that--just contact Amazon's customer service.

I am trying to do that as well (different person than above), the website keeps making the order come up, and I really need to talk with Amazon..... and the site won't give me the phone number, frustrating!!!

ETA: I was able to get a call by saying "other than order" and they were helpful.

Edited by Susan C.

Yes, Amazon will always side with the buyer. I shipped something to a woman and even spoke with the mail carrier who remembers putting it in the mailbox attached to her house, but the woman filed a claim saying she hadn't received it. I refunded her entire purchase.

Contact him.

I am trying to do that as well (different person than above), the website keeps making the order come up, and I really need to talk with Amazon..... and the site won't give me the phone number, frustrating!!!

ETA: I was able to get a call by saying "other than order" and they were helpful.

I have never done it but apparently if you ask them to call you, someone does -- immediately.

Took a break from this oer the weekend. :) So, I will say that I'm impressed with Amazon's customer service. I emailed them asking if they could change the label. The rep emailed back that they couldn't do that, the seller had to do it on their end, since they allow sellers to establish their own return policy, or I could file a claim. He then gave me a $5 credit towards my next purchase. :D Definitely will be using that. So, I have an email to the seller, telling him to reissue the label. We'll see what he does at this point. No complaints against Amazon, though.

So, does anyone know how i need to classify the reason for this return so that he pays the shipping? He now says that he doesn't know how to do it so that he pays for shipping. :banghead: (and claims it's not his fault since it's in good condition. Well, yes. But "good" is not "like new")

File a claim with Amazon and let them deal with the seller. He's trying to weasel his way out of accepting the return by making things complicated for you.

As the seller, it's his responsibility to figure out how to handle the return, not yours. I think you should file a claim and forward all of your correspondence to Amazon.

It's his responsibility as a seller to figure this stuff out! Amazon has a whole help section for sellers. He is not very impressive.

It looks like he'd have to issue you a concession to cover shipping, so I don't know that there's a way automatically to do it, but I'm not a seller there.

You could propose a partial refund and you keep the book if you're interested in a dinged up book, but that's not always a great option.

Edited by stripe

Seriously! Every time I've contacted him, he's insisted he couldn't help unless I figured it out. I'm sorry you're new and don't know these things, but it's not my job to figure them out for you! Good grief! I would have been happy with a partial refund at first. It's not what I ideally wanted, but since it's not something I *know* I'm going to use for all 5 of them, I would accept it and just buy another one down the road if need be. But I'm done being nice. I already ordered another and just want my money back at this point. I filed a claim and they can figure it out. I'm sure I'll win that argument. Like new has got to be the easiest condition description to figure out. It's either like a new one, or not. A torn and repaired book doesn't qualify. And if he ever decides to figure out how to get this back to him, I'll happily drop it in a box. Shoot, once it's settled, even if he doesn't, I'll just write return to sender on it and he can take his chances if that's what he wants. This is so aggravating! I've sold a few times on amazon, ebay, here, ect. I'm always careful to accurately describe things to avoid unhappy buyers. I really don't understand when others don't do the same. It would have been a good price, even for a book in "good" condition. I'm sure it would have sold for him!

Edited by Scuff

I definitely would not pay for the return shipping. He lied about the condition of the book, I wouldn't want to pay a penny for it. I'd also leave feedback letting everyone know that he blatantly misrepresented the condition of the item and was very resistant to correcting his error!

In similar situations in the past, I have had 100% success with disputing the original charge (including s/h) with my credit card company. what he did was misleading and essentially fraud (perhaps unintentional, but but not correcting his mistake it becomes intentional). Hold on to the book - tell your cc company you are happy to return IF he provides a traceable return method. In those situations, my cc has ALWAYS credited me the amount back - with the stipulation they are "invstigating", and within a few weeks, I got the letter the credit was permanent.

You should not be out ANYTHING.

And if by some chance you DO send it to him - on your dime or his, make sure it is traceable. Odds are, otherwise he'll say he never got it.

That's a good idea. I have an Amazon claim on it, so i don't think the CC is neccessary just yet. Godd to remember that I have that as a back up, though.

Last night he refunded my shipping and said that he'll refund the rest when he gets his book back. :banghead: He's either stupid, thinks i am, or is trying to wear me down. How is this better? I'm still paying your shipping! :banghead:

So, Amazon hasn't looked at the claim yet. Their estimated time is two weeks. Does anyone know how this partial refund will effect the claim? It looks like the claim is still active. I wrote him again letting him know that I'm well aware that I'd still be paying his shipping and won't be mailing this until I know that he will be doing that. I don't think I will be responding to him any more unless he takes care of things. Az can handle it.

The funny/irritating part? The total price was about $10. We're quibbling over shipping for one book. The cost of a coffee or a hamburger. It's insane. But he's caused so much drama over this, I'm not backing down. Do the right thing. It's not that hard.

So he wrote back accusing me of trying to rip him off. Says he provided more than enough $ for shipping. I suggested that perhaps I misunderstood. Looks to me like he refunded the shipping That I already paid. Spell it out, how much will you refund after recieving the book? His reply? The purchase price, he already refunded shipping. :001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes::mellow:

But I'm glad those emails were sent and show up on our order page. Makes him look worse and worse. The claims reveiwer is going to have so much fun reading through those.

Edited by Scuff

So he wrote back accusing me of trying to rip him off. Says he provided more than enough $ for shipping. I suggested that perhaps I misunderstood. Looks to me like he refunded the shipping That I already paid. Spell it out, how much will you refund after recieving the book? His reply? The purchase price, he already refunded shipping. :001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes::mellow:

But I'm glad those emails were sent and show up on our order page. Makes him look worse and worse. The claims reveiwer is going to have so much fun reading through those.

I think you should stop communicating with him and let Amazon handle the situation from here on in.

Yeah, I am. I wrote him back to tell him exactly that and am done. When he sent the partial refund, I wanted to clear up things, so that he wasn't thinking that i was mailing it. But yeah, nothing productive comes from communicating now.

Hmm .. I have had this happen and thankfully the lady immediately refunded my money although she didn't completely concede to the fact that her definition of "like new" was not remotely Amazon's definition.

So sorry your seller is being difficult. I'm almost burned out on buying used.

I've bought used on Amazon lots of times. Usually it goes smoothly. Many sellers list their books worse than they actually are.

That's crazy that someone would think a coverless book was like new. At least he listed it in the comment, I guess! Amazon does spell out condition definitions pretty clearly.

Thank you all. I'm not worried about it. I've already rebought. And I'm not communicating with him anymore, so the stress of trying to work with him is over.