Menu

Triclosan on pencils? TIconderoga?

OK--so I am reading through Amazon reviews on Ticonderoga pencils and one reviewer mentions that the boxes of pencils said they were coated with an antimicrobial agent.

AHHHHH!! is this true? I don't want my kids putting triclosan in their mouths!

I just want a pencil. A plain old pencil that won't break!

Yep, the ones on amazon and Target have them. WHen I looked at RR last year, they didn't mention it and they arrive loose, but I am sure they have it.

We switched to the Mirado black warrior pencils exclusively because of the Tricolsan issue. Ridiculous. There are also scissor handles treated with Microban.

Yep, the ones on amazon and Target have them. WHen I looked at RR last year, they didn't mention it and they arrive loose, but I am sure they have it.

We switched to the Mirado black warrior pencils exclusively because of the Tricolsan issue. Ridiculous. There are also scissor handles treated with Microban.

Do your Mirado pencils break easily? Where do you purchase them?

Do your Mirado pencils break easily? Where do you purchase them?

I am lazy and buy on amazon with Prime.

They are sturdy IME. They are one of the brands that is recommended by lots of people, like the Ticonderogas. Except, no Microban!

I wish they'd stop putting it in the Ticonderogas or at least give us a Microban free option!!

Yeesh. I went to the Ticonderoga company website and here is the description, straight from the horse's mouth.

"

Ticonderoga - The World's Best Pencil

The Ticonderoga is the world's best pencil. Satin smooth finish enhances writing comfort. Exclusive graphite core formula gives you extra smooth performance. Crafted with premium wood from well managed forests. Top quality, latex-free eraser provides easy, clean corrections. Finish contains Microban® anti-microbial protection to inhibit the growth of odor and stain causing bacteria on the pencil. PMA certified non-toxic.

there are also YELLOW Mirado pencils...(on Amazon)...are those the same...or is there something special about the Black Warrior pencils?

there are also YELLOW Mirado pencils...(on Amazon)...are those the same...or is there something special about the Black Warrior pencils?

Truthfully I don't know. I read a thread elsewhere a few years ago about the Ticonderoga Microban issue, and someone was saying how they love the black warriors. THat's the only Mirado pencil I've tried. They are good though IMO. If you try the yellow, let me know :) I wonder if the lead is softer or something? I have no idea what makes the "black warrior" a black warrior.

Arrgh...I wonder if that applies to the "My First Ticonderoga" ones? My DD does better with those than any other kind-they seem to give her the sensory feedback she needs without snapping the lead and they sharpen down to the eraser, which, given that she sharpens pencils as a fidget, is very helpful. She doesn't NEED them, precisely, but it's one of those little things that makes life so much easier!

Truthfully I don't know. I read a thread elsewhere a few years ago about the Ticonderoga Microban issue, and someone was saying how they love the black warriors. THat's the only Mirado pencil I've tried. They are good though IMO. If you try the yellow, let me know :) I wonder if the lead is softer or something? I have no idea what makes the "black warrior" a black warrior.

I've been researching around and other than the color, the one major difference I can find is that the Black Warrior has a round barrel (and thus will roll, roll, roll whereas the yellow pencil is a hexagonal barrel).

Arrgh...I wonder if that applies to the "My First Ticonderoga" ones? My DD does better with those than any other kind-they seem to give her the sensory feedback she needs without snapping the lead and they sharpen down to the eraser, which, given that she sharpens pencils as a fidget, is very helpful. She doesn't NEED them, precisely, but it's one of those little things that makes life so much easier!

I did a web search and found this title. So, yes. A child that puts a yellow Ticonderoga pencil in her mouth is sucking on Microban. :tongue_smilie:

Ticonderoga® My First® Ticonderoga® Pencil with Microban®

Service, Selection, Savings

Home

TICONDEROGA_LOGO.JPG

Woodcase pencil with HB lead hardness features a yellow large 13/32" barrel for grade school use.

I think there is one (one last) American company that manufactures pencils here in the states--Generals.

Dick Blick sells some of their plain cedar pencils. No paint. Just wood and graphite. I haven't used them, but I may give them a try.

In between the chewing on my microban pencils and then also learning today that American Girl dolls are built out of phthalates (I called and asked), I think I am ready to run to the woods.

OK--so I am reading through Amazon reviews on Ticonderoga pencils and one reviewer mentions that the boxes of pencils said they were coated with an antimicrobial agent.

AHHHHH!! is this true? I don't want my kids putting triclosan in their mouths!

I just want a pencil. A plain old pencil that won't break!

UGH! I just looked at my box of them and YES! Good grief, why can you not even purchase a pencil that doesn't have 'stuff' on it!

I'm constantly amazed at the amount of time we can all spend talking about pencils (especially Ticonderoga pencils) and pencil sharpeners on this board. And yet, this is clearly a new topic about which I felt like I really needed to be informed!

Well--everytime you sharpen a microban painted pencil, you would be flaking off tiny pieces of microban.

But let's stop and think about this. The manufacturer is putting triclosan into paint to kill bacteria that sit on a pencil. Hmmm. If triclosan infused into paint (or countertops or whatever) can pass through the cell wall of bacteria to kill the bacteria, then would it also pass through into my skin cells?

i don't know the answer to that question. But I think it is worth asking.

I don't think I want microban, triclosan in my house anymore.

Yeesh. I went to the Ticonderoga company website and here is the description, straight from the horse's mouth.

"

Ticonderoga - The World's Best Pencil

The Ticonderoga is the world's best pencil. Satin smooth finish enhances writing comfort. Exclusive graphite core formula gives you extra smooth performance. Crafted with premium wood from well managed forests. Top quality, latex-free eraser provides easy, clean corrections. Finish contains Microban® anti-microbial protection to inhibit the growth of odor and stain causing bacteria on the pencil. PMA certified non-toxic.

This is a problem? Pencils get stinky? Is this a thing now?

Well, I just ordered cedar pencils from amazon.com. I think it's even lacquer-free.

Thanks, OP, for telling us about this.

Also, thankfully DD doesn't like dolls, but wow, now I have to be more diligent with toys. I hope Legos and Playmobil are safe.

Would you mind sharing a link for the pencils you ordered?:D

This is a problem? Pencils get stinky? Is this a thing now?

Yeah, I guess they market the triclosan-containing products as being less "germy" in schools, but that theory hasn't really panned out if you look at the research. They put it in scissor handles, lunchboxes, changing pads for babies, soles of certain brands of shoes (Merrells maybe?), etc. And it is pretty pointless, IMO, if you look at the research on it. That doesn't even get into the issues with endocrine disruption, environmental concerns, drug resistance, etc.

Edited by Momof3littles

I like how the Black Warrior feels on my fingers but they are harder to find and I don't go out of my way to buy them.

I bought a box of 72 of the yellow Mirado pencils at Sam's for $6.98.

I like them much better than the Ticonderoga pencils anyway.

What I don't get then is since triclosan is so awful, HOW can Ticonderoga say that the pencils are non-toxic??

Triclosan is FDA approved. We know that triclosan enters the bloodstream and then stores in our fat tissue. It's just that our FDA doesn't believe that it poses a health risk to humans. It is, however, labeled a pesticide in the US, I believe.

Other countries in Europe have banned its use.

Over fifteen years ago, when Calvert used to do homeschool conventions, I was a parent volunteer for them and went to conventions all over the western US. We handed out white pencils with the Calvert school logo on them. I had two or three leftover boxes and they told me to just keep them. They are the BEST pencils ever. I literally won't use any other kind. I'm down to my last box, and I have to make them last until my youngest graduates. :lol: I wish I knew who made them. I know they're not Ticonderoga...I can't stand those. I'm also assuming they're contaminant free since they're so old. BTW, the erasers are still soft and erase better than any other pencil I've ever used.

Anyone know who made Calvert's pencils in 1996? :lol:

Great...I just caved in and bought an 18 pack at Staples today. Microban label right on the cover. Off to check out the links to other "safe" pencils. My kids are past the "chewing" stage but I worry about the sharpenings.

I bought 3 packs of 12 today at Staples, but none of the boxes have Microban on them. I do have 3 left over from a pack of 24 I bought last year. They are still in the original plastic container and it does have Microban on it. Why wouldn't the 12 packs have it labeled? Would they not have it in them or is it just not labeled?

Also, wondering if I can take these back and get a refund?

I bought 3 packs of 12 today at Staples, but none of the boxes have Microban on them. I do have 3 left over from a pack of 24 I bought last year. They are still in the original plastic container and it does have Microban on it. Why wouldn't the 12 packs have it labeled? Would they not have it in them or is it just not labeled?

Also, wondering if I can take these back and get a refund?

I have no idea.

Here is this info from the FDA.

Apparently, if it is in something like toothpaste or soap, it has to be labeled. But, from my reading of the FDA link, I don't think that would include...pencils. :001_smile:

It would seem, though, that there really isn't a true benefit of putting microban on pencils EXCEPT for advertising purposes. So, if the pencil company doesn't advertise microban, my guess would be that the product does not contain it. That's my best guess.

But that's only when you see the package in person. I order almost everything online, especially pencils. Even looking at the pencils I bought months ago, it still doesn't say it. Maybe mine don't have it?

Those are nifty looking pencils! I bet you can email the company to ask. They are too cool to toss. Here is a link to the company contact info.....

It looks like from the FDA sheet I just pulled up, that the concern over triclosan is less about what it does to people and more about what it does when it is washed down the drain and accumulates in our water supply--it is toxic to aquatic critters, an endocrine disrupter to frogs, etc.