Menu

Cooking with whole chickens?? (I'm scared!)

I've only ever bought chicken breasts or thighs and never a whole chicken! I can handle beef, but I most often buy pre-cooked chicken to add to casseroles and recipes!! I'm about to place an order for grass-fed beef. I could order clean chickens too, but whole is the only option.

I should know this by this stage in my life, but how do you cook with whole chickens? Should I make the switch?

I will never, ever cook with a whole chicken. When I was a teenager my mother had me preparing a whole chicken for dinner - pulling out the gizzards, etc. I reached in and pulled out a HUGE worm. :ack2: I ended up leaving the chicken just sitting in the sink and refused to touch it again. Worms are the one thing I can NOT STAND. Just thinking about it is giving me chills.

Whole as in you have to pluck the feathers and take out the internal organs yourself? Or just a regular whole chicken that has been processed and is ready to pop in the oven?

If you've roasted a turkey at Thanksgiving, then roasting a whole chicken is similar only with a much shorter cooking time (about 90 minutes at 375 for a ~5 lb. bird unstuffed, longer if it's stuffed).

I will never, ever cook with a whole chicken. When I was a teenager my mother had me preparing a whole chicken for dinner - pulling out the gizzards, etc. I reached in and pulled out a HUGE worm. :ack2: I ended up leaving the chicken just sitting in the sink and refused to touch it again. Worms are the one thing I can NOT STAND. Just thinking about it is giving me chills.

:eek:

I've only ever bought whole chickens from a store or butcher shop and thankfully have NEVER experienced anything like that.

Easy.

My favorite way is to throw it in the crockpot after I get out the gizzards/ heart ect. Add some BBQ sauce. Cook on low or high depending on if it is morning or afternoon when I get started.

If you have a rotisorrie it is easy, add, paprika and garlic salt and cook.

Nothing to be scared of. As someone said, it's just like cooking a turkey, only smaller.

You can also cut them up. I am sure there are online videos to show you how. I was cutting up chicken as soon as I was old enough to work with sharp knives. Not a big deal if you know where to cut.

I never saw a worm once!

I rinse the chicken off well and then pat dry. I then rub the chicken all over with olive oil. I stick a lemon, cut in half, into the cavity, garlic, and some herbs, usually thyme. I salt and pepper the outside and then stick it in the oven at 425 for 1 1/2 hour for a six lb chicken.

After it is cooked let it rest for 10 minutes or so. I usually make gravy with the juice.

I never saw a worm. That might make me expire from horror.

Edited by Sis

Nothing to be scared of. As someone said, it's just like cooking a turkey, only smaller.

You can also cut them up. I am sure there are online videos to show you how. I was cutting up chicken as soon as I was old enough to work with sharp knives. Not a big deal if you know where to cut.

I never saw a worm once!

:iagree:

I pull out the gizzards, rinse out the chicken, stuff it with lemon wedges and garlic cloves, put it in a roasting pan, pour a little chicken broth in the bottom of the pan, drizzle olive oil over the chicken, sprinkle on kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, cover and bake @ 350 for 1.5 hours. Yum.

Cooking with a whole chicken is easy, really. The others have given great advice on baking, so I'll just add a few other ideas:

--You can cook the whole thing in the crockpot. Just add water and any seasonings you like. If you want to be fancy you can add things like white wine or mushrooms, etc.

--You can boil the whole thing in a big stockpot. That way you have both chicken stock and cooked meat. You can make soup with it or use for other things. When I am in a hurry, I just boil the chicken. When I want the stock to be special, I add a bay leaf, some garlic cloves, an onion or two, peppercorns, and celery. I might add a carrot as well if I feel like it. Two hours later, when the stock is cooked, I discard all those mushy vegetables.

--I can bake a whole chicken more quickly if I cut it open and lay it flat. Take a sturdy pair of kitchen shears and cut the back bone off (cut first down one side from the tail to the neck, then cut the other side). I discard the backbone, but some frugal housewives would save them in a freezer bag and use several to make chicken stock. Once the backbone is off, lay the chicken meat side UP on a baking pan with a rim. To get it to lay flat, use the palm of your hand to press down and break the breast bone. I usually have a little olive oil in the baking pan to prevent sticking. Season chicken as usual and bake at 400 for about 45 minutes, give or take. (To give credit where it's due, I saw Jacques Pepin demonstrate this technique on one of his cooking shows.)

Cooking with a whole chicken is easy, really. The others have given great advice on baking, so I'll just add a few other ideas:

--You can cook the whole thing in the crockpot. Just add water and any seasonings you like. If you want to be fancy you can add things like white wine or mushrooms, etc.

--You can boil the whole thing in a big stockpot. That way you have both chicken stock and cooked meat. You can make soup with it or use for other things. When I am in a hurry, I just boil the chicken. When I want the stock to be special, I add a bay leaf, some garlic cloves, an onion or two, peppercorns, and celery. I might add a carrot as well if I feel like it. Two hours later, when the stock is cooked, I discard all those mushy vegetables.

--I can bake a whole chicken more quickly if I cut it open and lay it flat. Take a sturdy pair of kitchen shears and cut the back bone off (cut first down one side from the tail to the neck, then cut the other side). I discard the backbone, but some frugal housewives would save them in a freezer bag and use several to make chicken stock. Once the backbone is off, lay the chicken meat side UP on a baking pan with a rim. To get it to lay flat, use the palm of your hand to press down and break the breast bone. I usually have a little olive oil in the baking pan to prevent sticking. Season chicken as usual and bake at 400 for about 45 minutes, give or take. (To give credit where it's due, I saw Jacques Pepin demonstrate this technique on one of his cooking shows.)

Can you request that they cut some of the chickens in half? It's easier to BBQ if it comes out of the freezer cut. Cutting isn't necessary. It's a step saver and if you've a smaller family it helps.

I like to cook them on the BBQ. Lay the bonier side down first and finish cooking on the meatier side. I use a thermometer, 170 degrees, to know when it's cooked. Yum!

I made chicken tacos in the crockpot the other day that were divine. Rotel, taco seasonings and set it on low. It was yummy all on it's own.

I usually roast mine, then make stock from the bones.

Dh won't eat whole pieces of dark meat, so I often take all the meat off and shred it for use in casseroles, soup, salad etc.

If I get them fresh, I cut into parts to cook. If I get them frozen I roast or cook in the crock pot. Crock pot is nice this time of year. Cooler than heating my oven!

A whole chicken is my easy go-to meal! If I'm feeling fancy, I will put some bacon under the skin before I stick it in the oven. It makes it very juicy and yummy! Stick some water in the roasting pan and bake it until done. It's SO easy and a real family favorite.

Make sure to save all the bones and put them in a stock pot with water over them (with a splash of vinegar). Cook for a few hours. It is the BEST broth ever!

I rinse the chicken off well and then pat dry. I then rub the chicken all over with olive oil. I stick a lemon, cut in half, into the cavity, garlic, and some herbs, usually thyme. I salt and pepper the outside and then stick it in the oven at 425 for 1 1/2 hour for a six lb chicken.

After it is cooked let it rest for 10 minutes or so. I usually make gravy with the juice.

I never saw a worm. That might make me expire from horror.

:iagree: I also usually put in a few sprigs of rosemary or sage.

I'll second what the others have said (except for the worm--OMW :svengo:). It took me a little while to get used to handling a whole chicken and not feeling weird, but now it's a snap.

I love this recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/roast-sticky-chicken-rotisserie-style/detail.aspx

The spice blend is incredible--DH and the kids raved the last time I made it that way. If I don't have time for all of that, I just use olive oil and Adobo seasoning or salt and pepper.

And Strider mentioned cutting the chicken and laying it flat--that makes life SO much easier around here. I often forget to start the chicken in time if it's whole, and doing it that way gets the chicken roasted in 45 minutes.

Here is a great description and some links to video tutorials. I don't make the mushroom stuffing (didn't love it when I made it the one time), but I follow her instructions otherwise.

The next day you can use what's left to make chicken stock or, if there's enough meat left, chicken soup.

I definitely recommend getting comfortable with whole chickens. They're much more economical than parts.

Whole chicken is one of the most cost efficient meats. Its much cheaper to buy it as a whole. Roast for one meal or cut apart. Leftovers can go into many dishes. Then boil the bones and make chicken broth.

Do it! I didn't start until I was 35. In my opinion it is one of the most worthwhile cooking skills available.

I bet what you found was the trachea, it looks just like a big long worm.

I've been using whole chickens exclusively for 5 yrs or so. They are so easy and yummy to roast whole. Great for the crockpot if you want meat for soup or casserole. Or I will cut off the breasts for stir-fry or curry and use the dark meat for other things.

The easiest way is to roast it whole. I love getting whole chickens because our family of 6 can get three good meals out of one 5-pound chicken. Roasted, the first night; the leftovers in a salad for lunch or dinner; and then delicious soup. I just put the carcass/bones in the crockpot overnight and cover with water, onion, and garlic. YUM. I heat up the broth and stir in beaten eggs. You can add sesame oil/soy sauce/ginger if you want it to be more Asian style. So delicious!

:eek:

I've only ever bought whole chickens from a store or butcher shop and thankfully have NEVER experienced anything like that.

:iagree: Yikes, I can see how taking a worm out of a chicken would turn you off of it! Yuck! :ack2:

I've never even bought a chicken with gizzards in it. Ewww.

I always roast whole chickens. Rub down with olive oil and some spices and bake. There are many renditions of this on all recipes! It always comes out SO good!

we only ever buy whole chicken's. so much cheaper than pieces. If you buy in bulk - you can cut them up and freeze in pieces. re: legs, wings (mini-drumsticks), backs for broth (MUCH better than canned), breasts, thighs.

I do a roast whole chicken (no stuffing) with an herb and olive oil rub - so easy and comes out increbilby moist.

eta: I'll also just cut up a chicken and fry it up in pieces.

Edited by gardenmom5

I was scared of them for years and just started cooking with them (in the crockpot) last month and they are so easy! Far easier than I ever.ever.ever thought.

1. I wear medical gloves when handling raw meat - I just can't handle it any other way.

2. Get the crockpot ready and put the chicken in with the plastic wrapping, garbage can open next to you. Using a knife or kitchen scissors, cut off the plastic and put it in the garbage using the gloves.

3. Then tilt the chicken up slightly so you can grab out the 'baggie' of chicken parts and drop it in the garbage.

4. Then just cook the chicken - that's it! (Check one of the above recipes for spices/vegetables/timing)

5. Once it's done then the meat shreds up so nicely for casseroles, and you can throw all the bones right back into the crockpot, add 8 cups of water, and cook again for 24 hours (yes, a full day) and you will have 4 mason jars full of homemade chicken broth that you can freeze to use in soups/casseroles/etc...