Menu

Legs Shaving Question

It is summertime. I would kind of like to wear a bathing suit. So how in the world do I deal with those little red bumps that I get when shaving my *ahem* bikini area? Not to mention that my family will be going to the beach in a few weeks, which will require daily shaving of that area (and boy oh boy will the daily shaving make it worse). How do you handle this???

Exfoliate the area first. Shave with the hair growth, rather than against it. Use a fresh, sharp razor, and be gentle. And a calming lotion afterwards helps, too.

Exfoliate with???

Calming lotion???

(I need very clear and direct instructions) :D

Exfoliate with???

A small amount of very gentle facial exfoliator (be gentle). Step by step here (No pictures or anything weird, just written instructions).

Calming lotion???

I use a product called "Bikini Zone Medicated After Shave Gel" (about $8.00 at drugstores). Any drug store should have other products that are similar, though.

(I need very clear and direct instructions) :D

Wax it. The bumps will go away after a day and you'll be baby butt smooth for weeks.

Shaving makes me want to scream. I cannot shave the bikini line, it's torture. I'd have to shave every day, and my skin is too sensitive. Waxing gets me through the summer without the fuss.

Yes, it hurts, but it's not unbearable, whereas living all summer with those bumps and hating to put on panties or a swimsuit? No thanks, I'll take the wax.

Wax it. The bumps will go away after a day and you'll be baby butt smooth for weeks.

Shaving makes me want to scream. I cannot shave the bikini line, it's torture. I'd have to shave every day, and my skin is too sensitive. Waxing gets me through the summer without the fuss.

Yes, it hurts, but it's not unbearable, whereas living all summer with those bumps and hating to put on panties or a swimsuit? No thanks, I'll take the wax.

Ouch!!! Do you wax it yourself? If so, what do you use?

Ouch!!! Do you wax it yourself? If so, what do you use?

Yup. Cause no one is waxing that for me. I use sugar wax, and get the linen strips. Harmon beauty sells it all. You pop it in the micro and then when it's warm (not screaming hot) put a thin layer on with a popsicle stick. The thinner, the better. Then put the strip on, smooth it down then yank. Pull it back as parallel to the skin as you can. Pulling UP is what causes pain.

SERIOUSLY?!? I am quite impressed. Can't imagine I would have the guts for that! :thumbup:

You have to find someone really good. My sister worked in an upscale salon for a few years before going back to university. One of the ladies there is excellent. She takes seconds and I'm good for WEEKS! It does not hurt like you would imagine. I actually find it impossible to do myself. I cannot rip correctly as it is difficult psychologically for me because I anticipate it hurting, but it does not.

It is summertime. I would kind of like to wear a bathing suit. So how in the world do I deal with those little red bumps that I get when shaving my *ahem* bikini area? Not to mention that my family will be going to the beach in a few weeks, which will require daily shaving of that area (and boy oh boy will the daily shaving make it worse). How do you handle this???

Look for a gel called Prince Reigns. I found it when I got an epilator for my legs (though now I almost never need it any more). At first I heard the name and thought it was something kind of ... 'off' but no, the stuff actually works.

I really wonder different women must have different 'coverage' that needs coverage. I've never shaved my bikini area, and I've only had one suit where I looked and said, "Whoah, that shows my pubic hair. I'd better get another one." (It was a $3 walmart 1pc bottom.) Most suits entirely contain my 'area' and the edge of the suit bottom rests in the crook of where my legs and pelvis meet -- but so many women don't seem to have that as their ordinary situation. Many women talk as if all swimsuits quite naturally show pubic hair if it is not removed -- so I wonder if it's about the different suits we choose or the different size/shape of pubic hair growth, or what. Thoughts?

I really wonder different women must have different 'coverage' that needs coverage. I've never shaved my bikini area, and I've only had one suit where I looked and said, "Whoah, that shows my pubic hair. I'd better get another one." (It was a $3 walmart 1pc bottom.) Most suits entirely contain my 'area' and the edge of the suit bottom rests in the crook of where my legs and pelvis meet -- but so many women don't seem to have that as their ordinary situation. Many women talk as if all swimsuits quite naturally show pubic hair if it is not removed -- so I wonder if it's about the different suits we choose or the different size/shape of pubic hair growth, or what. Thoughts?

I think you are unusual if the hair growth stops there. Most women have it continue past that natural demarcation onto the thighs a bit. I'm fair, have very little body hair, and even I have to shave. My bathing suit sits like yours, but the hair continues past there if I don't shave it.

I use a small electric razor, it isn't baby butt smooth, but you can't see the hair anymore and that is all I care about. They make women's bikini trimmers for this purpose.

Oh, and I have a new suit with short/skirt type bottom and LOVE that I don't have to double check if I need a quick shave, lol. SO freeing!

I take a cotton ball with alcohol and apply some to the area morning and night for the first day or two after shaving. Seems to do the trick.

There are two kinds of bumps.

There are bumps which form soon after shaving. Those are caused by bacteria in pores which have just been shaved. Usually a bit of alcohol helps. Shave gently (using a new/really sharp razor) and carefully and then keep the area clean (a little alcohol or hydrogen pyroxide) and covered (a like a layer of aloe).

The other kind of bumps are from in-grown hair. There's not much you can do about that. You can shave more often so your body gets used to it, you can exfoliate the area gently before and after, but it will never completely go away if you're genetically predispositioned.

Edited by LostSurprise

wax or I use something like Bikini Zone which helps with the after shaving bumps and redness. It does have a topical number in it though. I also always wear shorts over my bathing suit simply because my hair grows so fast that if I don't do a wax then the next morning I've got hair issues

I simply have a lot and it grows in a very wide area. I have the dark pubic hairs on the insides of my thighs that a normal cut full coverage bottom shows a lot of it. That crook of the leg/hip area has hair and then another probably 3-4 inches outside of that I get thick full bush hair too so yeah even boy shorts don't cover my forest

Consider yourself lucky, you're the first woman I've heard say they never had to shave there.