Menu

I HAVE To tell You- SO Proud of Husband for Doing What Docs Said "Can't be Done"

I'm so proud of my husband. He was forced again to go to the "mandatory" (even though this is illegal, by the way) health screening this week. Last year, he had very high triglycerides. In fact 10 years ago, trigs were high, and the doctor warned him he'd better go on medication. We don't do medication if at all possible. He began an intense work out regimen he has kept up all these years.

All other markers were good at last years forced "wellness" screening, except triglycerides. This year, he switched to a mostly raw vegetable diet (lots of salads, nuts, etc...occasional chicken or steak) in addition to his work out schedule. Trigs dropped from 4 times the normal to DOWN IN THE NORMAL RANGE in a few months! Woo Hoo!

Good job! Doctor said you couldn't fix this with diet, and he himself went on meds for this. But my husband did it! He's an incredibly disciplined person. Exercise didn't do it but Exercise + Diet made a huge difference!

I once had a doctor tell me that "diet didn't make any difference in your health as it was mostly genetic". He died before my next appointment with him...at age 63. I thought he was 15 years older!

Diet matters.

Congratulations!

The sad reality is that most people say they are going to improve their diet and exercise and don't. In addition they don't go to the doctor and then they die at 40 years old of heart disease. Just my reality. Taking medication in addition to changes in diet/exercise is not always a bad thing.

:thumbup:

Most M.D.'s tend to be very ignorant about nutrition because that subject gets minimal attention in allopathic med schools and organic produce farmers don't have the lobbying power of the big pharmaceutical companies.

Boy, I have sure found that out. Diet won't fix every single thing, but it will sure help a lot of things.

And oh boy, what misinformation is out there. That Biggest Loser trainer Bob is hawking packaged junk foods as "nutritional". Ugh.

No one hawks raw veggies and fruit and that's where it's at.

Most M.D.'s tend to be very ignorant about nutrition because that subject gets minimal attention in allopathic med schools and organic produce farmers don't have the lobbying power of the big pharmaceutical companies.

This! And how awesome for your husband!!!! That is so fantastic! I bet he is already inspiring others!

:iagree: I have been asked by a doctor what I eat because my cholesterol numbers were so good that she wanted to use me as an example. When she heard what I really eat, she just couldn't reconcile it with the nutrition info she had heard since med school.

Congratulations!

The sad reality is that most people say they are going to improve their diet and exercise and don't. In addition they don't go to the doctor and then they die at 40 years old of heart disease. Just my reality. Taking medication in addition to changes in diet/exercise is not always a bad thing.

That's true and I'm sensitive to it. My own Dad dropped dead of a heart attack. It's better in that it buys you a few years, but it doesn't really help you stay healthy to be on meds as they all have side effects.

I just find meds to be an absolute LAST resort, and doctors think it should be a first resort. This has been true forever. I remember a doctor telling my Mom to go on High BP meds 30 years ago...she said no thanks, that she would instead lose 20 pounds. She did and it did the trick. She lived to almost 80 and might have lived longer if she had just eaten real food instead of smaller portions of junk food! The woman subsisted on diet Coke and chocolate, no matter what healthy foods were in her fridge.

Edited by TranquilMind

:iagree: I have been asked by a doctor what I eat because my cholesterol numbers were so good that she wanted to use me as an example. When she heard what I really eat, she just couldn't reconcile it with the nutrition info she had heard since med school.

Wow. Yeah, they really ignore this area.

What do you eat? Inquiring minds want to know!

My numbers have always been great too, even when I did eat horribly. Haven't had them checked for awhile so I hope they still are.

I just find meds to be an absolute LAST resort, and doctors think it should be a first resort.

I don't know that doctors necessarily start out thinking that. This may be a minute distinction, but I think they get conditioned over the years to prescribe medicine as a first resort because most humans want the easy way (and most perceive popping a pill as easy.)

BTW, I agree with your stance though. I just wish that more folks thought like you!!!

I'm so proud of my husband. He was forced again to go to the "mandatory" (even though this is illegal, by the way) health screening this week. Last year, he had very high triglycerides. In fact 10 years ago, trigs were high, and the doctor warned him he'd better go on medication. We don't do medication if at all possible. He began an intense work out regimen he has kept up all these years.

All other markers were good at last years forced "wellness" screening, except triglycerides. This year, he switched to a mostly raw vegetable diet (lots of salads, nuts, etc...occasional chicken or steak) in addition to his work out schedule. Trigs dropped from 4 times the normal to DOWN IN THE NORMAL RANGE in a few months! Woo Hoo!

:party::party::party:

Good job! Doctor said you couldn't fix this with diet, and he himself went on meds for this. But my husband did it! He's an incredibly disciplined person. Exercise didn't do it but Exercise + Diet made a huge difference!

I once had a doctor tell me that "diet didn't make any difference in your health as it was mostly genetic". He died before my next appointment with him...at age 63. I thought he was 15 years older!

Diet matters.

:iagree:

So what do you eat? Common, I'm nosey.

:party::party::party:

:iagree::iagree:

That is awesome.

I think that some doctors get jaded by patients insisting they will change their diet and then chickening out. So they get used to relying on the meds people are more willing to take. In addition to the pharma marketing and what they learn/research. While there are some really unhealthy doctors (my MD FIL drank/smoked/ate himself to death before he was 60), most of the ones I know are pretty pro-healthy eating and are good eaters themselves.

That said, I switched my PCP to a naturopathic doctor and could not be more happy with that decision. The first thing she looked at was diet and nutrition. :001_smile:

That's excellent. :hurray:

I wish my husband would learn that lesson. He's been working out regularly for a couple years now. His trigs have gone down from the crazy-high number they used to be, but they still aren't in the normal range, and he IS on the medication. I keep telling him he needs to change his diet, but he won't.

Diet matters.

Congratulations to your husband! It's so impressive when someone makes a tough lifestyle change for the sake of their health. My dad did something similar after he had a heart attack--he was active (ran marathons) and not overweight, but heart disease runs in his family. After the HA he went on a strict diet--mostly vegetables (the Dean Ornish heart disease reversal diet) and stuck with it. Two years later he did a full physical work-up and was found to be in excellent health--I think they said his cardiac health was similar to that of an amateur athlete. He did it because he was determined to stick around to take care of his family.

what do you eat? My dh has good numbers but a terrible diet.

genetics does play a key. I eat better than he does and have high cholesterol. My mom has always eaten healthy (grows most of her own food for 40 years) and has high cholesterol, trigyclerides, high blood pressure, glaucoma, and diabetes. Both her parents had all of that. Most likely if she wouldn't have eaten healthy all of these years she'd be dead.

That's excellent. :hurray:

I wish my husband would learn that lesson. He's been working out regularly for a couple years now. His trigs have gone down from the crazy-high number they used to be, but they still aren't in the normal range, and he IS on the medication. I keep telling him he needs to change his diet, but he won't.

Tell him my doctor - whom we saw yesterday for sports exams -said that high trig numbers are a warning sign of impending pancreatitis. Your husband does NOT want this.

Congratulations to your husband! It's so impressive when someone makes a tough lifestyle change for the sake of their health. My dad did something similar after he had a heart attack--he was active (ran marathons) and not overweight, but heart disease runs in his family. After the HA he went on a strict diet--mostly vegetables (the Dean Ornish heart disease reversal diet) and stuck with it. Two years later he did a full physical work-up and was found to be in excellent health--I think they said his cardiac health was similar to that of an amateur athlete. He did it because he was determined to stick around to take care of his family.

Awesome! That's great.