Menu

Which of these sentences is punctuated correctly?

Which sentence is punctuated correctly - #1 or #2?  

1. 1. Which sentence is punctuated correctly - #1 or #2?

• Sentence one, without the comma is correct
    • Sentence two, with the comma is correct

Disclaimer: I am not the author of the sentence. It came from a course book put out by our pubic schools. I'm including two versions: one as it was printed in the book, one as modified by me. Not telling which is which. Please tell me which is correct.

Here are the two options:

1. XYZ High School Students may take courses which are offered two consecutive periods at ABC High School.

2. XYZ High School Students may take courses, which are offered two consective periods at ABC High School.

Both sentences want a preposition between "offered" and "two"; "during" seems the most logical to me. My rewrite:

XYZ High School Students may take courses offered during two consecutive periods at ABC High School.

It's still a bit clunky, but there you go.

I can't modify the sentence. I'm not copy editing this book. I am simply reading through it and found myself puzzling over what I saw. Frankly, the way the sentence was punctuated jumped out at me as wrong (still not telling which way they have it), but I thought I'd double check with the wise folk here. :D

Both sentences want a preposition between "offered" and "two"; "during" seems the most logical to me. My rewrite:

XYZ High School Students may take courses offered during two consecutive periods at ABC High School.

That's exactly how I would have rewritten it.

I like Plaid Dad's version much better.

Lucinda

Thanks a LOT, Doran. :tongue_smilie: Since I read this thread earlier today, I've found at least three different instances where I've written a sentence almost grammatically identical to this one. And each time, guess what my first instinct was to do? Put a comma! But then I thought, NO! I said I wouldn't use a comma! I felt like such a hypocrite, so I deleted them. :lol:

It was written with the comma:

XYZ High School Students may take courses, which are offered two consective periods at ABC High School.

To me, the comma seemed dramatically out of place there. It sort of jumped up and said, LOOK AT ME, like a beligerent child in a church service. And, I found myself snickering (as in, laughing when you really want to cry) at the fact that I was mentally editing a piece written and published by our local high school.

Sigh.

It seems quite clear to me that the sentence doesn't require a comma. I know you well enough to know you wouldn't have put one in there, either.

I've looked at the student handbooks for our two local high schools and both are a copy editor's nightmare. Of course, I feel that way about a wide variety of printed material.;)

Before I read the answer, I picked the right one. (Should there be a comma in that sentence?:confused: )

I hope you don't look too closely at MY writing! i can edit others writing better than I can write! :001_smile:

Brindee,

Would that be "other's" writing? or "others' writing?" Just kidding. :D

Brindee,

Would that be "other's" writing? or "others' writing?" Just kidding. :D

Oh yeah. Sheesh.........I just want you to know that grammar is NOT my thing. I mean, I know basics, but we moved a lot and I have huge gaps.

Soooo, I'm hoping you will all love me DESPITE my poor grammar skills. :001_smile:

Oh, and I think the answer to this is others'. Right?

:lol: Yes, you're correct.

Doran, that's horrifying. I'm a copy editor too (though I might not seem it based on my rapidly typed, rarely proofread posts here :001_huh:), and I'd feel exactly the same way you did after reading that sentence. I'm constantly pointing that kind of stuff out to my DH. In fact, we saw a commercial last night that had "guarantee" spelled incorrectly (guarentee!!!) at the bottom of the screen in the fine print :eek: It was a huge spot too, for a major travel marketer. Sheesh.

:iagree: this is the best choice. I choose #1. The comma does not make sense.

Disclaimer: I am not the author of the sentence. It came from a course book put out by our pubic schools. I'm including two versions: one as it was printed in the book, one as modified by me. Not telling which is which. Please tell me which is correct.

Here are the two options:

1. XYZ High School Students may take courses which are offered two consecutive periods at ABC High School.

2. XYZ High School Students may take courses, which are offered two consective periods at ABC High School.

I'm also an editor. My opinion is that IT DEPENDS: is the information that follows "which" essential or not? If the courses that the students may take are ONLY the ones offered two consecutive periods blah blah...then the sentence should read this way:

XYZ High School Students may take courses THAT are offered two consecutive periods at ABC High School.

IOW, the kind of courses described is essential info (using no comma and the word "that").

If it's not essential, and instead just "by the way" kind of info, then the sentence should read like this (using the comma and the word "which"):

XYZ High School Students may take courses, which are offered two consective periods at ABC High School.

Either way you look at it, the sentences are poorly written, even with the corrections.

I'm sure you never wanted this much info. But I couldn't help myself.;)

Nope. A++ Good job, Brindee! :D
:eek: Wow, thanks! I LIKE you for a teacher! Your kids are lucky! :D

Sorry to throw silliness into the picture! I WISH I was good with grammar as ya'll are! I feel privileged to be in the same thread with you gals! Thankyou for putting up with me ;)

Either is correct. I'm not sure why people are freaked by the comma. In fact, "are offered two consecutive periods" is the poorly written part of the sentence.

An easy way to know where a comma goes is to read a sentence aloud. Punctuation is a key that tells you how to read something. If you would pause before the word "which," then you need a comma. If you would read the whole thing in one breath, then no comma. I would read it with the pause, therefore the comma.

BTW, "which are offered..." is most certainly a dependent clause.