Menu

My mom had her first freak-out in homeschooling over cursive

My mom is super supportive. She has told me repeatedly that I'm doing the right thing and she is so proud of all of us.

But she had her first freak-out moment that made me laugh. Last weekend we spent the day with my grandmother. We got to talking about an AARP article that listed things becoming obselete. So someone brought up cursive handwriting and how they believed it was also obselete. My kids mentioned they didn't know how to write in cursive. The conversation never faltered, everyone moved on, no one said anything bad. But yesterday, my mom called me in a panic that my dd14 is going to start high school and be behind everyone else because of handwriting. She told me she was trying to find a homeschool store so she could buy flashcards and workbooks for dd. I couldn't help but laugh because she was so passionate and sounded so funny. Don't worry, she was laughing too but still serious.

So I talked with dd14 and she agreed it would be a good thing to learn. She's going to find free stuff on the internet for her to learn cursive. She used a typing program and learned how to type. She types faster than I do and I was a secretary for years! :tongue_smilie:

I guess I need to teach ds15 how to sign his name, at the very least.

That's funny. I can see my own parents (who are supportive, too) getting alarmed by something like that.

Zee really wants to learn cursive, so I bought him a curriculum. I told him he could work on it over the summer. I figure if they want to learn, that's great. But if not, then really they just need to learn to sign their name.

Well, I think it is important to be able to sign your name. I teach my kids a connected print, then they sort of go with it, and develop their own hand.

I am sure older kids could pick up cursive very quickly....and may end up liking the ease of writing quicker than manuscript....or maybe like me....will write a combination of the 2:D

PS, Your mom sounds really adorable!

One thing about cursive that I've never thought about, my niece is in PS and didn't learn to write cursive. Because she didn't learn to write it, she can't read cursive. So she has problems reading handwritten letters and notes on cards. She can read them, but it is just very difficult for her. Anyway, that was one unexpected consequence of not learning cursive.

There was a recent discussion on the high school board that listed a few good resources.

I think it's important to be able to write and READ in cursive. I know my ds has had issues with reading some cursive and he mostly prints. Cards can use some funky fonts too.

I don't know; I might be with your mom on this one. ;) I'm teaching cursive and typing.

Isn't funny how one little thing can flip somebody like that. My mom is also very supportive (and lives with us most of the time), but my brother is a high school math teacher, and my dear sil is a college English professor. Every time my mom comes back from visiting them, she is full of comparisons and suggests. She drives my batty for at least a month. I just smile and acknowledge her concerns while I keep on doing things my way. After a few months she's back to worrying over my nephews and asking me to send stuff to my brother because she's sure they should be homeschooled and spend more time in imaginative play.

One thing about cursive that I've never thought about, my niece is in PS and didn't learn to write cursive. Because she didn't learn to write it, she can't read cursive. So she has problems reading handwritten letters and notes on cards. She can read them, but it is just very difficult for her. Anyway, that was one unexpected consequence of not learning cursive.

Oh yeah, she thought of that too. The only cursive notes my kids receive are from my MIL at Christmas and they have deciphered them with only a little help. But you're right, I should make more of an effort to expose them to cursive.

Fwiw, I did get Getty-Dubay and one other one that I can't remember when the kids were younger. They hated it so I just dropped it and never worried about it. I've got ds15 doing Typing Instructor and he hates it, but he's not very good at handwriting. He has some fine motor control issues. I think cursive would probably be easier for him. He has Aspergers, and I wonder how much he would freak out if I started him on Cursive as well.

I'm so shocked by this. Where I live cursive is taught in PS in 3rd grade and everything from the end of 3rd on is required to be in cursive (if it is handwritten).

I would want to be able to take notes and such in cursive. It's quicker than printing. I thought it wouldn't be an issue in college, as everyone would use their laptops. WRONG. Many professors at ds' school do not allow laptops in the classroom. And even those who do, don't always have outlets for everyone who wants to use one (laptop batteries run out quickly). Nor is there always enough space on the desks. Some of the desks are quite small, or non-existent and using a notebook on your lap easier.

My dc are the oddballs around here because they know cursive and none of the ps dc do. My boys' handwriting is so much more legible in cursive than their print is. And it does help in reading cards and letters -- some people (extended family) write notes even to my little one in cursive, and it's nice that she can read them herself.

I would want to be able to take notes and such in cursive. It's quicker than printing. I thought it wouldn't be an issue in college, as everyone would use their laptops. WRONG. Many professors at ds' school do not allow laptops in the classroom. And even those who do, don't always have outlets for everyone who wants to use one (laptop batteries run out quickly). Nor is there always enough space on the desks. Some of the desks are quite small, or non-existent and using a notebook on your lap easier.

Cursive is not faster for everyone. I always took notes in print because I disliked cursive. I still print everything. I took better notes than many classmates who wrote in cursive.

I am teaching my son cursive this year or next, but he can already sign his name in cursive. That is all he really needs.

DS13 didn't learn cursive in either the public or Christian schools that he went to. They just don't seem to teach it anymore. He can read it just fine and he taught himself to sign his name. Over the summer this year I've been teaching him cursive though because I think it's a skill that he should know whether he ends up using it or not in the future.

Dd 12 learned cursive in school, and was required to use it exclusively in grades 4 & 5. My son is in middle school, but was homeschooled until 6th grade and hates cursive. He has never been asked to write anything in cursive in 3 years of middle school. My oldest is in high school, and prefers cursive so that's what she uses.

So I guess around here, cursive is only required in late elementary school.

Eh, I taught high school for a LONG time.....I rarely got cursive papers. Most high schoolers hand write.

Funny.....my favorite teacher ever was my 3rd grade teacher. I thought everything she did was awesome. She wrote in only print. She taught us cursive, but I wanted to be like her, so from 3rd grade on I printed only and I got VERY fast at it. To this day I don't write in cursive. I don't think it is a big deal.

Dawn

The majority of people use a combination, their own personal one, of print and cursive. I sure do. And schools are letting cursive go. I had so much issue with my big kids that I dropped the issue. I did work with them each on a signature. Even that was hard for one of them (and it is two letters with a squiggle off the last one). I figured if everyone else doesn't do it, we don't need to either. We are changing that stance with the littles. They will do handwriting from the get-go, including cursive starting in 2nd or 3rd grade (depending on the kid).

Cursive is not faster for everyone. I always took notes in print because I disliked cursive. I still print everything. I took better notes than many classmates who wrote in cursive.

I am teaching my son cursive this year or next, but he can already sign his name in cursive. That is all he really needs.

:iagree:

John Holt even mentions this point in one of his books. He had some kind of competition with his kids. Printing won for speed and legibility.

This is our experience as well (re:laptops etc. in class). Also, we used Italics HW with my eldest. When she reached a point where she realized a need for speed in regards to writing and note taking, she decided to go back and teach herself traditional cursive because it flows better than italics cursive. I took her advice and returned to traditional with the rest of the kids for that reason.

I taught my youngest (7th grade currently) cursive several years ago. DC does most assignments/ notebookng/copy work in cursive, plus all thank you notes, letters to pen pals, and sib away at college (which could be done in print). When I've gone to visit ds at school, i've seen he has reams of notes in cursive ( which some students probably have in print). All of his exam booklets are in cursive as well.

Again, I am sure many students are not using cursive during exams, but even in 2012, type has not taken over everything. The need to write legibly, and read cursive still exists. The prof corrections and commentary on ds' papers are mostly handwritten, although some are typewritten on a separate piece of paper. His current college experience is not devoid of cursive.

Edited by LibraryLover

I remember being worried about cursive when my oldest went to ps for the first time in 6th grade, but NOBODY used cursive. It just isn't used here anymore. My oldest has a nice signature that's cursive.

My middle dd with fine motor delays can manage a kind-of connected print for the required cursive statement on the SAT, but that's all she does. I haven't been able to get a real signature out of her. Cursive requires too much coordination for her to be able to manage.

My youngest is dyslexic and can neither read nor write cursive. She also has a lot of trouble with fussy print fonts, because she has visual processing problems too.

Cursive is suppose to help brain development. I taught my son cursive before I'm teaching him to print. Oh well... maybe if the schools are going to teach one and not the other, they'll choose cursive in a few years. Funny thing is, they don't really make the kids write a certain way, anyway. so print and cursive usually end up looking horrible :(

My mom reads those articles too! One of the things she likes best about home ed is they can write in cursive and know how to print. She was never taught how to print and really feels that she missed something.