Menu

Anyone else with a child who eats constantly?

My ds will be 5 next month and I'm not kidding if he keeps it up I'll have to take a loan out to feed him. :lol:

He's always been a voracious eater, but the last two years---goodness.

No exaggeration, he acts as if he's starving about every 20 minutes. We don't eat a lot of junk food so he's eating good, filling food. A granola bar or some crackers with hummus etc will not hold him until meal time. I'm getting frustrated and exhausted. It's after lunch and he's had already today--a plate of scrambled eggs and a biscuit and two glasses of a smoothie, a cinnamon bun, carrot slices dipped in hummus, handfuls of blackberries and strawberries, a cheese sandwich, a pickle, half a banana, some chex, two HUGE helpings of leftover lasagna, a black bean sandwich for lunch with the fixings, a glass of almond milk, a glass of orange juice, a container of Greek yogurt with granola sprinkled on it, a popsicle, an apple with peanut butter dip, wheat thins with hummus...and it's not even 1:00.

He'll keep it up all day. He's even asked me before (right after lunch or dinner) if I'll make him some spaghetti or a burrito or an egg etc. He eats all of what he has on his plate and seconds usually. He's not terribly picky. He'll eat anything. I can't figure out *why* he's hungry sometimes? I mean minutes after eating a plate of eggs and a biscuit and two huge glasses of a smoothie and a cinnamon bun this morning he's digging through the fridge with this whiny "I'm starving" attitude. I pull out veggies and hummus and fruit and cheese chunks etc so he can just grab something until I cook again, but 9 times out of 10 he whines and fusses until he realizes that I'm not cooking a full hot meal again and then he'll start reluctantly digging into the snack tray. We joke he eats like a hobbit.

I mean honestly, if we ate the mainstream, typical American diet the kid would likely have an issue with obesity. :001_huh:

I don't have a child who eats constantly but I wanted to mention that there is a medical condition where children do not have the brain impulses necessary to tell them they are full. If I were you, I would keep a food diary for a week and ask your pediatrician if it is normal.

If it is, well, start saving for when he's a teen-ager and the appetite increases! :D

DD5 started this! For about 3 months, we literally cannot keep enough food in the house for her! She'll eat a full meal, then ask for more in half an hour - all day.

And she's not bored, because she stops to eat (a ton) even when playing with her friends.

Yes. My middle daughter, who is also very active, and extremely energetic, eats ALL The Time. (Actually, right now she's waiting for me to cut up the strawberries so she can eat them).

I've accepted that she's just different. This is what a high metabolism looks like. ;) (It's kind of like raising a Hobbit - second breakfast and first lunch... and so on.)

She is a perfectly healthy weight and very muscular and prefers to run everywhere, and she is always hungry. I've learned to just have certain things to offer her, and if she's really hungry, she'll eat it (and she always does). My go-to snacks for her are a banana with PB, animal crackers, yogurt, or strawberries (in season).

My ds will be 5 next month and I'm not kidding if he keeps it up I'll have to take a loan out to feed him. :lol:

No exaggeration, he acts as if he's starving about every 20 minutes. We don't eat a lot of junk food so he's eating good, filling food. A granola bar or some crackers with hummus etc will not hold him until meal time. I'm getting frustrated and exhausted. It's after lunch and he's had already today--a plate of scrambled eggs and a biscuit and two glasses of a smoothie, a cinnamon bun, carrot slices dipped in hummus, handfuls of blackberries and strawberries, a cheese sandwich, a pickle, half a banana, some chex, two HUGE helpings of leftover lasagna, a black bean sandwich for lunch with the fixings, a glass of almond milk, a glass of orange juice, a container of Greek yogurt with granola sprinkled on it, a popsicle, an apple with peanut butter dip, wheat thins with hummus...and it's not even 1:00.

He'll keep it up all day. He's even asked me before (right after lunch or dinner) if I'll make him some spaghetti or a burrito or an egg etc. He eats all of what he has on his plate and seconds usually. He's not terribly picky. He'll eat anything. I can't figure out *why* he's hungry sometimes? I mean minutes after eating a plate of eggs and a biscuit and two huge glasses of a smoothie and a cinnamon bun this morning he's digging through the fridge with this whiny "I'm starving" attitude. I pull out veggies and hummus and fruit and cheese chunks etc so he can just grab something until I cook again, but 9 times out of 10 he whines and fusses until he realizes that I'm not cooking a full hot meal again and then he'll start reluctantly digging into the snack tray. We joke he eats like a hobbit.

I mean honestly, if we ate the mainstream, typical American diet the kid would likely have an issue with obesity. :001_huh:

Ha! I didn't even see that you said this, but I feel the same way!

My daughter is almost 6, but I don't let her whine about food. That would make me crazy. I don't allow her big appetite to be a continuing crisis. She has to learn that she's not going to starve. ;)

Your child eats a LOT. I think that volume is way beyond the normal range. I would keep a food diary and calculate how many calories your child is eating. Those calories have to go SOMEWHERE. If your child was obese then I would think there was an issue with realizing he was full, but if he is slim then I would be looking at where those calories possibly go. I would honestly look into intestinal parasites (maybe a tapeworm) and metabolic disorders.

DS (4) eats every 1-2 hours (worse than a newborn!). When he gets a little hungry, he melts into a teary, frustrated mess so it is a constant project to keep him fed. He doesn't eat nearly as much as your kid and he is hyper, so it balances out. I just don't see how your child's intake can be balanced out by activity and growth - like I said, those calories have to be going somewhere.

My DD is very oral. She likes to be sucking/chewing/etc. She kept a bottle until an older age as well, and would suck/bit her fingers/nails. She constantly wants to nibble. I found that popsicles keep her happy. Maybe it's that it takes so long to eat one, and then her mouth is kind of frozen so nothing sounds good. She eats bigger meals then without so much snacking. I get otter pops in the summer, but also make homemade smoothie pops that are obviously better for you.

It's after lunch and he's had already today--a plate of scrambled eggs and a biscuit and two glasses of a smoothie, a cinnamon bun, carrot slices dipped in hummus, handfuls of blackberries and strawberries, a cheese sandwich, a pickle, half a banana, some chex, two HUGE helpings of leftover lasagna, a black bean sandwich for lunch with the fixings, a glass of almond milk, a glass of orange juice, a container of Greek yogurt with granola sprinkled on it, a popsicle, an apple with peanut butter dip, wheat thins with hummus...and it's not even 1:00.

This is a tremendous amount of food for a 5 year old.

My 'very hungry' daughter has had: a bowl of cereal, some animal crackers, sliced apples, 4 pieces of cheese, 1 slice of turkey, and large serving of strawberries. And it's nearly 4pm so hopefully she should be ok until dinner.

My 6yo eats almost hourly, and he's above average in height and very lean. He eats a (mostly) healthful diet, but is a grazer. Over the course of a day, he consumes much more food than many others his age, but it's mainly small amounts eaten frequently. If he's gearing up for a growth spurt, we'll see a temporary increase in quantity, but that doesn't last too long. I haven't experienced him consuming the amounts you described, but then again, he's very active so I'm not sure he'd slow down long enough to eat that much anyway. ;) if you're concerned, you can always run it by his doctor.

My son is 7 now and has always eaten that way. However we are a very active family who spends many hours per week at karate plus we all do cardio kickboxing together. Plus hiking with the dogs numerous times per day plus their baisc walks and playing in the yard plus our own playing time.

For breakfast my son might have 1-2 eggs plus a piece of fruit with pb or yogurt. a piece of bread with some jelly,honey or pb on it. then after kickboxing but before karate he will have 1 granola bar with some nuts. then after karate another granola bar plus some more nuts. then home for lunch.

The big difference in your sons meals vs. mine would be salads. My son will easily eat 2-4 bowls of salads with his lunch and dinner to help bulk up his feedings and it makes a huge difference. Our salads normally have some nuts, craisins, peppers,cukes, cheese(normally feta and cheddar), and some meat(steak or chicken mainly). Those salads are in addition to our meals though.

As long as his growth is at a normal rate I would not worry about it. my son is very strong, well muslced child so at this point in time it is not a worry, doc is not concerned at all.

Now my daughter was always like this as well but very petite(not thin but petite). She eventually developed Type 1 diabetes though so once we got insulin into her again she started growing at a normal pace again then and also eats like this but is finally at a healthy weight, not so tiny.

My 5 year old is exactly like that. I've had to teach him how to make sandwiches, waffles, cereal, etc. and where he can get snacks from so that I'm not cooking for him 10 times a day.

I did ask his doctor about it, but because he's in the 80th percentile for height and the 40th for weight, she wasn't concerned at all. I would go ahead and ask about it at his next appointment if you're concerned.

See the thing is he's a wonderful weight and height for his age. He was 38 lbs and 39 inches at his last checkup so I'm sure he's close to the 40s by now. He's always been in the 90th percentiles for his age. And he's very active. Constantly on the move---jumping, climbing, running, playing soccer in the backyard, helping my dh with heavy work (he's upset if he doesn't get to dig and shovel and water and pick up brush etc with him).

So he's definitely growing well. He's strong and fit. I have a high metabolism. If I wanted to I could probably eat all day and not be any worse for wear. I'm guessing that this may be the issue. My oldest ds is just the opposite. He survives on love, air, and the occasional crust of bread. :lol: I was just wondering if my perspective that he was eating a lot was skewed since my oldest is drastically the other way. My dd on the other hand (2 next month) eats about what I would consider normal for a toddler. Just a few bites of this, a few bites here...

A pp mentioned salads. Yep my ds will eat salads too. So far he's the only child of mine that seems to like them. :tongue_smilie:

And he will eat all of the yogurt containers etc too if I let him.

Well, I know you. ;) Ari would eat all day, too. We also call her our "hobbit". However, just in the past year or so she has gotten so picky that she would eat only a handful of things all day. She eats us all under the table if we let her have at whatever she wanted. But we can't do that because of her allergies and sugar addiction. :glare:

Your son is definitely not overweight. That is a lot of food, though. If it's worrying you, definitely talk to the doctor. It's possible that he might have a metabolic issue or hyperactive thyroid. I don't think it's entirely likely, but it's worth the peace of mind to check it out. He seems awfully healthy, IMHO. But I would ask a doctor and keep a detailed food log for a week before you go in. Include times that he ate, how much (I can let you borrow my scale if you need one) in weight or volume, his behavior before/after eating, his cravings, any complaints he has like nausea or stomach pain, etc.

My kids have all gone through that at times usually before they grow several inches. Some kids grow a bit at a time, but mine shoot up and plateau in cycles. They eat every 20-30 minutes before the spurt, and then they barely touch their meals for a week or two after they grow. There are some medical things that can cause eating issues, so if you suspect something is going on take him in.

My ds6 used to eat a lot, too. He was the one we had to buy refrigerator locks because at 2 and 3 he would get his own food out. He was eating all the time. We have always had good natural foods (no processed) so it wasn't that it was bad food but way too many calories. He was never overweight either.

What we did was starting restricting him to normal size meals at regular intervals. We enocouraged him to drink as much water as possible. It worked. Within a fairly short period of time his food intake has dropped to a more normal level.

This was what worked for us and may not work for you.

We joke that my kids are hobbits. They have first and second breakfast, brunch, luncheon, dinner, tea, supper, etc.

Eta: my kids are scrawny, tiny things. I encourage them to eat whatever they want. If they eat all of the yogurt, then I buy more.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Actually...I have a question. Do you all eat meat? I would try feeding him meat with breakfast and lunch and see if that would hold him for longer. If not, do you give him fat soluble vitamins like B12?

That's a crazy amount of food for a five year old to be eating. Keep a food log for two weeks, then take him into your pediatrician for a check-up. He could be just fine, or he could have a metabolic disorder...only your doctor can tell your for sure.

As Mrs. Mungo asked...are you vegetarian? He may need a lot more protein than he's getting, and that's why he's always feeling hungry.

We are vegetarians and that's a non-negotiable lifestyle choice. And we eat plenty of protein throughout the day. Is it really a lot of food? He eats three full meals and the rest of the time grazes through the fruit and crackers and cheese etc. My problem isn't how much but how often? He just grazes constantly. Also allergies and celiac aren't on my radar since he never complains of pain and is very regular and healthy. We do all take vitamins as well.

I don't think he's eating because he's bored either -- he's always busy doing something.

IDK. Maybe he just likes food. He does like to help me prepare it too.

ETA: for example--he's in the backyard right now tearing off pieces of the lettuce growing in our garden and eating it. He does that usually with a smile and a "this is sooo good and I grew it" attitude. Maybe he's just a "foodie."

Edited by Walking-Iris

We are vegetarians and that's a non-negotiable lifestyle choice. And we eat plenty of protein throughout the day. Is it really a lot of food? He eats three full meals and the rest of the time grazes through the fruit and crackers and cheese etc. My problem isn't how much but how often? He just grazes constantly. Also allergies and celiac aren't on my radar since he never complains of pain and is very regular and healthy. We do all take vitamins as well.

I don't think he's eating because he's bored either -- he's always busy doing something.

IDK. Maybe he just likes food. He does like to help me prepare it too.

ETA: for example--he's in the backyard right now tearing off pieces of the lettuce growing in our garden and eating it. He does that usually with a smile and a "this is sooo good and I grew it" attitude. Maybe he's just a "foodie."

But the fact that he's eating that much on a daily basis without weight gain is what's odd. If it was a "he likes food" issue, you'd expect to see the normal weight gain from eating so much. Overeating without gaining weight is very different.

Yes. My middle daughter, who is also very active, and extremely energetic, eats ALL The Time. (Actually, right now she's waiting for me to cut up the strawberries so she can eat them).

I've accepted that she's just different. This is what a high metabolism looks like. ;) (It's kind of like raising a Hobbit - second breakfast and first lunch... and so on.)

She is a perfectly healthy weight and very muscular and prefers to run everywhere, and she is always hungry. I've learned to just have certain things to offer her, and if she's really hungry, she'll eat it (and she always does). My go-to snacks for her are a banana with PB, animal crackers, yogurt, or strawberries (in season).

:iagree:

I can hear the line from the movie every time I feed DS1 or DH (both of whom have exceptionally high metabolisms) "What about second breakfast? What about elevensies? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper?"

DH has gotten a little better in the last few years (since he turned 35) but not much... he still loses several pounds every fast Sunday (of which he can only fast breakfast because otherwise he'll pass out from hunger...) Right now I'm trying to get some weight back on DS1 because he was sick last week (not the flu, just a sinus cold) and didn't really eat... so he lost almost three pounds in four days and his ribs are sticking out again :glare:

I've resigned myself to the fact that I just have to keep the fridge and cupboards well stocked with healthy-ish, filling snacks.

(Seriously, why can't I have this metabolism?!?!)

That's a crazy amount of food for a five year old to be eating.

My six year old eats a lot, but even he doesn't eat that much. I wonder if your son needs more fat or protein in his diet. Also, I'd be concerned about diabetes. Type 1 diabetics can eat like crazy and lose weight before they are diagnosed. Hyperthyroidism would be another concern. The same with celiac disease.

It might be a good idea to trial adding more fats to his meals and less carbs. It doesn't have to be meat, though I know you eat fish sometimes-maybe have him eat some once in awhile? Add more coconut and olive oils to his diet and see if that helps fill him up more.

FWIW-many Celiacs are asymptomatic as far as digestive issues.

It might be a good idea to trial adding more fats to his meals and less carbs. It doesn't have to be meat, though I know you eat fish sometimes-maybe have him eat some once in awhile? Add more coconut and olive oils to his diet and see if that helps fill him up more.

FWIW-many Celiacs are asymptomatic as far as digestive issues.

But we do eat healthy. That was one day. We use olive oil exclusively for cooking. We eat fruits and veggies daily as well as various grains---couscous and quinoa are stables. Things are usually eaten raw or steamed or baked. We rarely if ever fry anything. Dairy and eggs and legumes as well as dairy substitutes at times---soy and almond and rice. We also eat a lot of various nuts. We rarely eat processed foods--any pasta etc is whole grain and usually organic. Honestly the entire food pyramid (or plate --whatever they call it now) is covered daily.

He doesn't have colds or allergies.

*I* have a high metabolism. Honestly I could, if I wanted to, eat non stop and never have a weight problem. I'm thinking he must have a high metabolism like pps have also noticed in their children.

I just wanted to know if others experienced children eating a lot and being whiny and impatient between meals, I didn't necessarily expect all the dx's of illness to start flying. Honestly he's not sick--far from it.

Anywho, I think I'll just have to impress upon him the need to be more patient and to wait until meals or something.

Edited by Walking-Iris

Oh my gosh, I hear you! My 11 year old DD has always been a voracious eater. If we each eat 6 Chinese dumplings and some cukes and peppers for lunch, I put 18 on her plate. She's been able to eat a pound of bacon or tofu since she was 5. She's a ridiculously energetic beanpole. She's a head taller than all the other kids her age. The rest of us like food that's produce heavy. I have to make sure there's a tremendous amount of protein on her plate (like 1/4-1/2 pound) at each meal or she's starving. Bananas, yogurt, cheese sticks and nuts help keep that child filled up in between. I hope you have a Costco nearby. :001_smile:

Is he really hungry all the time or does he just like to eat? I had to train one child that hungry does not equal "not full". He also likes to constantly eat, but had weight gain as a result. I upped his physical exercise and only allowed specific snacks between meals and we have been doing well with this.

Oh my gosh, I hear you! My 11 year old DD has always been a voracious eater. If we each eat 6 Chinese dumplings and some cukes and peppers for lunch, I put 18 on her plate. She's been able to eat a pound of bacon or tofu since she was 5. She's a ridiculously energetic beanpole. She's a head taller than all the other kids her age. The rest of us like food that's produce heavy. I have to make sure there's a tremendous amount of protein on her plate (like 1/4-1/2 pound) at each meal or she's starving. Bananas, yogurt, cheese sticks and nuts help keep that child filled up in between. I hope you have a Costco nearby. :001_smile:

He can eat 6 deviled eggs in one go! He'll eat 4-5 of those little oranges for a snack. He always has to have two peanut butter sandwiches. I've taken up doubling some recipes to take into account his second or third helpings. :001_huh: Oh well. I seriously doubt he's suffering from some undiagnosed disorder or illness though.

The more I ponder this the more I remember being a tall beanpole myself and eating quite a bit. I think this may be a metabolism thing.

Is he really hungry all the time or does he just like to eat? I had to train one child that hungry does not equal "not full". He also likes to constantly eat, but had weight gain as a result. I upped his physical exercise and only allowed specific snacks between meals and we have been doing well with this.

Both. Depends. He is a foodie like I've said. He'll say things like "that was so good--can I have some more?" Or when we're in the store he'll pull things off the shelves "can we try this?" He's the quintessential "what's for dinner mom?" kid. He's very physical like I've said. I'm thinking that with a high metabolism coupled with a high energy active level he's just burning it up. Maybe some yummy energy bars like Clif or Luna?

Honestly he reminds me of some pro-biker friends I had. I went to breakfast with them once before a race and was shocked at how many plates of pancakes they were putting away. And yet they were trim and fit. I think it's like that.

The most satiating foods are proteins and fats - your food list sounds 'food pyramid healthy' but honestly light on fat which might be a missing component. I was going to recommend giving him meat to help fill him up until you said that you're vegetarians. His diet sounds pretty carb-heavy especially from grains which can actually drive hunger in people instead of filling them up.

I would REALLY focus on giving him more fat - good fats - with each meal. And maybe looking at giving him more satiating foods and not so many grain-based-carbs (couscous and whole wheat pasta aren't actually 'health foods' in my book ;)).

I never said you didn't eat healthy, but that adding more fats and proteins would fill him up more. Do you add nut butters, chia seeds, avocado, or oils to your smoothies? I would just add more fats to his diet. Some kids just need more to fill up. So they can eat a quart of blueberries and not feel full, but add some fats to it and it's not only better digested, but more filling. Clear as mud?

How many times a day does he urinate? How much water does he drink? What does he crave the most of?

The most satiating foods are proteins and fats - your food list sounds 'food pyramid healthy' but honestly light on fat which might be a missing component. I was going to recommend giving him meat to help fill him up until you said that you're vegetarians. His diet sounds pretty carb-heavy especially from grains which can actually drive hunger in people instead of filling them up.

I would REALLY focus on giving him more fat - good fats - with each meal. And maybe looking at giving him more satiating foods and not so many grain-based-carbs (couscous and whole wheat pasta aren't actually 'health foods' in my book ;)).

:iagree:

How about adding some coconut milk to your smoothies? DH suggests giving him chunks of butter. Try KerryGold brand.

I could eat vegetables and fruits all day and not feel full or satisfied. I need lots of meat and fat to feel satisfied.

Examples of fat? We use olive oil and eat nuts. We eat avocados pretty regularly as well. We eat dairy. We use butter at times. What fats are we talking about?

FWIW meat isn't actually "health food" in my book. ;)

I never said you didn't eat healthy, but that adding more fats and proteins would fill him up more. Do you add nut butters, chia seeds, avocado, or oils to your smoothies? I would just add more fats to his diet. Some kids just need more to fill up. So they can eat a quart of blueberries and not feel full, but add some fats to it and it's not only better digested, but more filling. Clear as mud?

How many times a day does he urinate? How much water does he drink? What does he crave the most of?

He eat nuts and nut butter, and avocado usually straight up, mayonnaise on sandwiches (I guess that's a fat). I usually add wheat germ or flax, sometimes almonds to smoothies. He drinks plenty.

It's not what he's eating. Or lack of nutrition. Or some specialized diet tweaking he needs. I honestly think he's just in need of some patience and willpower. I'm not concerned with his physical health.

Examples of fat? We use olive oil and eat nuts. We eat avocados pretty regularly as well. We eat dairy. We use butter at times. What fats are we talking about?

FWIW meat isn't actually "health food" in my book. ;)

I don't mean specific fats so much as making sure he's getting a lot more fat in his daily calories - what if his daily fat intake was 30% of his daily calories, protein was another 40%, and carbohydrates were the remaining 30%? IMO no one should feel constantly hungry and be unable to be satiated by the right foods for their body.

I don't mean specific fats so much as making sure he's getting a lot more fat in his daily calories - what if his daily fat intake was 30% of his daily calories, protein was another 40%, and carbohydrates were the remaining 30%? IMO no one should feel constantly hungry and be unable to be satiated by the right foods for their body.

I'm not sure that he's actually hungry---as in the food he ate didn't do anything for him. It seems to be more a behavior that I'm asking about. A pp poster commented about making her child understand what it means to be full. He's just constantly wanting to eat. I honestly don't think it's due to illness or nutrition problems.

Let me clarify. If anyone has tips on how they get their kids to show more patience between meals rather than treating their mom as a short order cook, then I'm all ears. Hummus for example is very filling, but he balks at eating it or other certain snackable foods (even ones he likes) until I cook again. That's the problem with the whingy attitude. I'm just not going to turn the stove on and cook another meal. So I say "no I'm not cooking that right now" and then he reluctantly starts eating the hummus (or artichoke, spinach dip, guacamole whatever I've pulled out that day) and eats quite a bit of it. Some days are better than others of course.

That's why I said I felt frustrated in my op. I feel like my kitchen is always a mess and I'm hardly finished dealing with it when he's wanting something else. He talks about food a lot too. What would happen if this were mixed with this or what other people eat or like I said in a pp curious about everything in the store. Wondering why I won't buy the Dora Explorer fruit chews or why we don't eat those cookies etc. He's like this at his grandparents too. Constantly rummaging through their fridge. When we come home from the store it's all we can do to stop him opening everything and taking a bite of each thing. He'll ask if we can go to the store sometimes to get something we haven't had for dinner in a while and I'll have to say "we just went to the store this week and we're eating what we got this time."There are a few things he won't eat. But bless his heart he tries everything before making an opinion.

I don't think he's ill or not getting satisfied. With my family's metabolism I'm not surprised that he doesn't get overweight. It's more like an interest. A desire to just eat. Clear as mud?

My almost 4 year old was like this for a good year-- constant demands for food-- even at bedtime when she'd already had a snack before bed-- just non stop eating. She's tapered off a bit. She is very slightly on the chunky side but not obese. She doesn't like sweets or junk (with the exceptions of chips-- she'll eat an entire large bag on her own) so we don't really limit her. I think some kids just like to eat a lot, and the lucky ones can burn it off without gaining much.

Let me clarify. If anyone has tips on how they get their kids to show more patience between meals rather than treating their mom as a short order cook, then I'm all ears.

One basic rule we have is that she can't ask for anything new until she finished what she already started. If she doesn't finish what she started then she waits an hour until eating something else.

If she does finish, but she's already eaten a huge amount, we sometimes make her wait 15-30 minutes and chances are she gets distracted by something else.

As far as being a short order cook, I don't normally cook or prepare to order. I make a bunch of things in the morning, and set them out for the kids to graze throughout the day (food is refrigerated if necessary). They can heat it up themselves and put their plate in the sink when done. The older kids pour drinks for the younger ones when necessary. Mommy is not a waitress!

OP, your last post was a lot more clear. I think most of us here were assuming from your first post that he happily wolfed down all that food and still felt hungry. Now it sounds more like he can be picky at times, because he doesn't feel like eating a particular thing at that moment, and so he whines about it.

It also sounds like perhaps he prefers to eat a small amount of many things than a large amount of a few things. Is that correct? Like every meal and snack should be a buffet?

Edited by HoppyTheToad

I'm not sure that he's actually hungry---as in the food he ate didn't do anything for him. It seems to be more a behavior that I'm asking about. A pp poster commented about making her child understand what it means to be full. He's just constantly wanting to eat. I honestly don't think it's due to illness or nutrition problems.

Let me clarify. If anyone has tips on how they get their kids to show more patience between meals rather than treating their mom as a short order cook, then I'm all ears. Hummus for example is very filling, but he balks at eating it or other certain snackable foods (even ones he likes) until I cook again. That's the problem with the whingy attitude. I'm just not going to turn the stove on and cook another meal. So I say "no I'm not cooking that right now" and then he reluctantly starts eating the hummus (or artichoke, spinach dip, guacamole whatever I've pulled out that day) and eats quite a bit of it. Some days are better than others of course.

That's why I said I felt frustrated in my op. I feel like my kitchen is always a mess and I'm hardly finished dealing with it when he's wanting something else. He talks about food a lot too. What would happen if this were mixed with this or what other people eat or like I said in a pp curious about everything in the store. Wondering why I won't buy the Dora Explorer fruit chews or why we don't eat those cookies etc. He's like this at his grandparents too. Constantly rummaging through their fridge. When we come home from the store it's all we can do to stop him opening everything and taking a bite of each thing. He'll ask if we can go to the store sometimes to get something we haven't had for dinner in a while and I'll have to say "we just went to the store this week and we're eating what we got this time."There are a few things he won't eat. But bless his heart he tries everything before making an opinion.

I don't think he's ill or not getting satisfied. With my family's metabolism I'm not surprised that he doesn't get overweight. It's more like an interest. A desire to just eat. Clear as mud?

With my ds I put a list of foods on the fridge that were okay to eat in between meals. I used the list from Dr. Sears LEAN Kids book. He generally picks an apple and will have one or two between meals. I also limit portions at mealtimes and tell him if he is still hungry he can have (an apple). For him it isn't hunger - it is a desire to eat.

I have one that could eat all day if she wanted to. We had to train her when she could eat. We set a clock in the beginning and said, Breakfast at 8am, morning snack at 10am, lunch at Noon, afternoon snack at 2-3pm and Dinner at 5-6pm and night snack at 7-8pm. We stick with this routine. At first she was inpatient, rude, upset, tantrums, the whole shebang, but after a solid week of saying look at the clock, is it food time? She got it and now does not balk, or complain or whine. We used visual timers and an alarm clock at first to signal when she could eat. It works well for us, and gives a better, predictable pattern to eating with out limiting their eating. Does that make sense?

I agree that more protein and fat will make kids feel full for a longer period of time. There are tons of threads on lunch, snacking, etc and this is frequently offered advice from people who have btdt. They are not saying this just because you are vegetarians. It does not have to be meat-based, but it sounds the carb-heavy diet is not doing it for him.

He is asking for hot, filling foods like spaghetti versus hummus dip and some pita chips. Have you tried making something like a tomato-cucumber-olive-feta salad to go with the hummus and pita chips? That would introduce a little more protein and (depending on how many olives you offer) quite a bit more fat. Make sure he is getting complete proteins-rice and beans for bean burritos for example. Adding homemade granola is an easy way to add a little more fat and protein (depending upon what you use) to yogurt. Or if hot foods=filling meals for him (which, is true for some people) then try something you can make ahead and heat up in the microwave or toaster oven.

Try looking on the vegan lunchbox blog for more ideas even.