Menu

Dh leaves tomorrow for Germany. Free time for me/Chick flix recommendations????

I don't sleep well when he is gone. We are both cuddlers by nature so without him to bump up against or wrap and arm around, I'm only going to average 3-4 hrs. of sleep a night. :glare:

So, I'll probably watch a lot of movies. We have Netflix and so recs for instant streaming would be great. However, I will probably rent movies once so I can get new releases...feel free to list those too!

I like romance though not really sappy...one of my favorites is Shining Through with Michael Douglas and Melanie Griffith. I hate stupid, slapstick, and well...just sappy.

Historical, adventure, these are good. Don't list anything that is somehow a romance in the midst of a horror film or Sci -FI....seriously, the whole Princess Leia/Han Solo and Amidala/Whiney, pouty Anakin played by extremely whiney/pouty/I'm a two year old having a temper tantrum Hayden Christianson is NOT my idea of entertainment.

The only Scifi film I have enjoyed in the last quarter century is the newest Star Trek remake...amazingly, it wasn't an awful plot line and the actors could gasp...actually act!!!!

Thanks a bunch!

Faith

Won't chick flix make you miss him more?? :)

All the ones I can think of will probably put you on a plane....

It's one week...just for business. I couldn't go because our rocket team is being honored by the county commissioner's at a county wide meeting on Tuesday morning and then they are meeting with one our state senator's later in the week. Since he HAD to be gone for work, that left rocket mom in charge of the for the official duties! :D I'm okay with that.

I just need to survive one week of partial insomnia.

Faith

I don't watch a lot of chick flicks, but Instant Watcher is great for finding something to watch with Netflix streaming.

One that I've watched multiple times (to have something playing in the background) is Dirty Dancing. I don't normally love watching movies more than once or twice, but that one is good! :D

Edited by oasis

Have you watched Say Yes to the Dress? They have five seasons on Netflix, plus the Atlanta version (season 1), and I've watched all of those episodes. Dh was glad when I was finished working through those. LOL!

Have you watched all of the Lost episodes? I was sad when I was finished watching the last season. I miss Sawyer! :D

Edited by oasis

The Holiday

Eat Pray Love

Once

Bride and Prejudice (The B's not a typo - it's the Bollywood version)

While You Were Sleeping

P.S. I Love You

Chocolat

Love Actually

Shakespeare in Love

Help (I know this isn't a romance, but my hub would only watch this once)

All of these are treadmill friendly, too, if you want to get a two-fer out of your film. :001_smile:

I have Bridget Jones' Diary in right now and watching it--one of my favorites to watch with DH gone. Pride and Prejudice is also a must. French Kiss is cute too.

Some others:

Two Weeks Notice

The Proposal

When Harry Met Sally

Downton Abby

Anne of Green Gables

A Room with a View

it is the time of year for 1776. :)

I am partial to "the philadelphia story" with Jimmy Stewart (his best actor oscar), Cary Grant, and Katharine Hepburn. I like good repartee.

To catch a thief - Grace Kelly, Cary Grant

How to Marry a Millionaire - Betty Grable, Marilyn Monroe, Lauren Bacall

Gentlemen prefer blondes - Marilyn Monroe, Jane Russell (dh's favorite line. "how much does a diamond tiara cost? $15,000. that will be an hour and 45 minutes." ((to get the money from her rich boyfriend)))

Young Victoria - with Emily Blunt was very good. (if you look closely, I'd swear one of her ladies in waiting carrying the train for the coronation scene is Princess Beatrice. uncredited. her mother was a producer, so it is plausible - especially as she is a direct descendent.)

Edited by gardenmom5

If I had ti e alone, my favorite movies to see would be:

Driving Miss Daisy

Fried Green Tomatoes

Julie and Julia

Mama Mia (although I havent been able to watch this since mom's death three years ago and just started to listen to the music again)

I love that movie with Meryl Streep and Clint Eastwood where Meryl has an affair but will only watch it alone. I am drawing a blank on title....

I know there are more but these are my all time favorites.