Menu

When you get tired of your denim jumper...

I can sew. Can people really make that much money sewing clothing? I could use some money. I could even make clothing that is pretty, wonder what that would sell for?

If you click on the "about us" tab, they make a point of stating more than once that their garments are "affordable."

Somebody's making piles of cash, if in fact these clothes actually sell. Because seriously, there is no way I would pay $75 for a pair of plain overalls, size 18-24 months.

They must be smokin' crack to even put that on the website.

Astrid

P.S. Check out the homepage--- even that cute-as-a-button baby girl in the lower right hand corner has the hair-thing starting. HOW do they do that? I couldn't get my dd's hair to do ANYTHING when she was that age! Pass the Dippity Do, I guess.

P.S. Check out the homepage--- even that cute-as-a-button baby girl in the lower right hand corner has the hair-thing starting.
Gah!

And it's nice, thick material. That's not cheap. :lol:
I don't know about that... there's a lot of 100% polyester and poly/cotton blends. :)

I don't know about that... there's a lot of 100% polyester and poly/cotton blends. :)
OK, after a bit more reading I see that it's quite possible the whole world knew about the polyester thing before I did... I'd pegged them as the all-natural fibres types.

Why does this page reflect only items for babies and youth, not adults? Do the adults go commando?! No...I'm serious. I really want to know. No, wait. Maybe I don't.

The mere thought of wearing a poly-cotton layer UNDER another poly-cotton layer in Texas heat is enough to make me sweat profusely.

Wow.

I wondered the same thing. The site doesn't specifically say it's for CHILDREN"S clothing, yet there are no adults on the site, and no link to adult clothing vendors. What's up with that?

And I still can't get past that little bitty girl in the lower right hand corner, already starting to grow her mini-pouf. Wha???

Nor can I get past the prices. Sheesh!

Why does this page reflect only items for babies and youth, not adults? Do the adults go commando?! No...I'm serious. I really want to know. No, wait. Maybe I don't.

The mere thought of wearing a poly-cotton layer UNDER another poly-cotton layer in Texas heat is enough to make me sweat profusely.

Wow.

Here's my (sort of) educated guess:

They would never sell the adult underwear because they are considered sacred. Adult members of the LDS are supposed to wear special undergarments that are considered sacred. Only people who are recognized by the Temple are allowed to wear these. You can find LDS sites online that sell them, but you have to have a special ID number to be able to purchase them.

Children are part of the community, but because they haven't yet made any public profession, they wear long underwear that look pretty much like the adult kind, but they aren't really considered sacred.

I know a woman who was raised in a very strictly conservative LDS home in Utah, but after marrying she and her dh left the church. They gave up a number of practices fairly easily, but she told me that apart from losing her family, taking off the "sacred garmies" was the hardest thing. She had been taught from childhood that they protected her from evil, so even though she had rejected most of the religion she still somehow felt vulnerable to attack if she wasn't wearing the long underwear.

I hear you about the polyester. The nuns I used to hang out with wore polyester habits too. With layers underneath....but not sacred ones.

Oh, and I read something else about those hairstyles. Apparently it's kind of like "Catholic School Uniform Syndrome." They are allowed virtually no individuality. They all have to dress in the same clothes, similar colors, lengths, etc. They may not wear makeup or jewelry. They attach inordinate importance to their hair because it is really their only adornment.

:iagree: Maybe it is another form of training. I can't get my ds to wear a real coat here in the winter. :lol:

Wow.

Here's another one, with a clearer photo. I have read a lot of things on this site, it is really interesting. You do have to keep in mind that it is an "EX-Mormon" site, and I'm sure that many will consider it biased. You can find oodles of information by Googling "Mormon underwear."

Google "Mormon underwear" eh? Sometimes words are put together in a way you never thought you'd hear..... :lol:

off to google....

Haven't done more than peruse the sight, Anj, because I've got my knitting group coming in a few minutes, but I"m curious...... are these just the temple garments? Or the style that the Fundamental sects wear? Do ALL LDS wear these underwear? All the time?

Just wondering...

Astrid

Google "Mormon underwear" eh? Sometimes words are put together in a way you never thought you'd hear..... :lol:

off to google....

Ah, that's nothing. I did a little research in to these after reading An Infinity of Little Hours: Five Young Men and Their Trial of Faith in the Western World's Most Austere Monastic Order about Carthusian Monks. It put Lancelot in a whole new light for me when we read Sutcliff's Arthur cycle recently.

Haven't done more than peruse the sight, Anj, because I've got my knitting group coming in a few minutes, but I"m curious...... are these just the temple garments? Or the style that the Fundamental sects wear? Do ALL LDS wear these underwear? All the time?

Just wondering...

Astrid

My understanding is that all adults who have gone through the temple membership ceremony (I think it's akin to baptism) are supposed to wear these garments at all times. Some women wear their bras on top, some wear them underneath. Some even wear the garments during sexual intercourse. I would imagine that there are some LDS folks who are more contemporary and maybe skip the garments or wear a less confining version of them, but I am told that all are supposed to wear them.

I could be wrong, and would welcome correction. My answer is based on things I've read and a couple of conversations with former LDS members.

I'm only linking to a Wikipedia article because it includes photos. Take what it says with a grain of salt because it's Wikipedia.

This site and your thoughts in the post above were helpful. I do have to admit that the products sold on the site linked by nmoira are even more difficult for me to imagine using than is sacred underwear. But, really, I am so very far removed from being able to fathom either.

My understanding is that all adults who have gone through the temple membership ceremony (I think it's akin to baptism) are supposed to wear these garments at all times. Some women wear their bras on top, some wear them underneath. Some even wear the garments during sexual intercourse. I would imagine that there are some LDS folks who are more contemporary and maybe skip the garments or wear a less confining version of them, but I am told that all are supposed to wear them.

I could be wrong, and would welcome correction. My answer is based on things I've read and a couple of conversations with former LDS members.

You are correct. Except that baptism is separate from the temple ordinances. You can be baptized into the church without going through the various temple ceremonies, but I think that most people are expected to, eventually. Actually, it is a requirement to go through the temple ceremonies in order to be admitted to the highest level of heaven.

You have been given accurate information. Yes, the garments are considered to be sacred. Yes, they are supposed to be worn at all times. Some people still leave an arm through the garments during bathing so that they are never completely without them. (I doubt that is very common, though.)

I really have no idea what garments the FLDS wear, but I assume they are similar.

Uh, I am also a "former LDS member" so take my information in the same light as the other info you've received!

Here's a new option:

http://www.fldsdress.com/

Enjoy!

:D:lol::D:lol:

The two verses they quote on the "about us" page leave me scratching my head. They are clearly not giving these clothes away to the poor, and my buying them will ensure that they my own clothing is not the work of my own hands.

Except for the fabrics -- polyester, ack! -- I can see those in their own community being quite happy with the clothes. Looking in, it's hard to say, "Oh, how attractive!" But when you're IN the community, it's not like you think you look odd or frumpy. You define normal quite differently.

I mean, in that community you're not exactly getting your fashion advice from Clinton and Stacy, you know? :D

Guest Dominican
Here's my (sort of) educated guess:

Children are part of the community, but because they haven't yet made any public profession, they wear long underwear that look pretty much like the adult kind, but they aren't really considered sacred.

No, children do not wear any particular garments in the LDS church. Don't know about the FLDS. My kids may sometimes have thermals or an undershirt on just because it's cold or they want to wear one, but it has nothing to do with garments.

I don't know any LDS women who make love with thier garments on. Not to say they don't exist, as I don't go around asking all the women in church, but the people I know (freinds and family-in-laws) would find that ridiculus.

BTW, I am new here, and as you may have guessed, I'm LDS. Glad to meet you all.