Menu

"Dear, sweet, mother-in-law....

....thank you, ever so much, for sending your granddaughter (age 8, by the way....in case you forgot) a double feature Sesame Street DVD :001_huh: and....(*gulp*) an 86 minute Doodlebops DVD :blink: :ack2: :svengo:....."

:banghead:

I guess I can see how my dh is her son. A few months ago dd was so excited because her dad said he'd bring her something home from Walmart. Well, he didn't have time to look at the toys, so he brought home a........PRESCHOOL workbook. :glare: Then just a few weeks ago he bought a giant workbook at a thrift store. It's Kindergarten. :001_huh: Does the man even know what grade she is in??? :001_unsure:

I could say that at least she remembered her.

But it is frustrating when they forget the details. My mil brought gifts for my kids, really expensive diamonds earrings for dd....and a toy remote car for ds. They are twins, and 15 at the time.

Mil's boyfriend was very impressed with himself for getting the car as it was the same one he bought for his grandson age 7!

That's so funny because my kids have been watching Sesame Street on Netflix and they watch Doodlebops on On Demand. I know the 8 year wants to watch those shows because she's the one who controls the remote.:lol: I do think she is a *young* eight year old.

I can relate. The very last time we exchange Christmas presents with dh's sister (who literally demands high end items for herself and her kids :glare:), she sent our 18 yr. old daughter a Melissa and Doug bead kit, and a Toy Story DVD for our then 9, 11, and 13 year old boys to share. She sent dh a child's age 6-10 Civil War puzzle book and a cake mix to me.

The other day she called dh to ask if our eldest boy would like a Mickey Mouse pillowcase because she has an extra. He's 15.5! :001_huh:

Faith

I could say that at least she remembered her.

But it is frustrating when they forget the details. My mil brought gifts for my kids, really expensive diamonds earrings for dd....and a toy remote car for ds. They are twins, and 15 at the time.

Mil's boyfriend was very impressed with himself for getting the car as it was the same one he bought for his grandson age 7!

:lol:

And, yes, she is thoughtful.

That's so funny because my kids have been watching Sesame Street on Netflix and they watch Doodlebops on On Demand. I know the 8 year wants to watch those shows because she's the one who controls the remote.:lol: I do think she is a *young* eight year old.

Dd was watching the Doodlebops DVD as I was typing that. Afterwards I asked what she thought of it. She said, "Good". I was reeeeaaaaallllly hoping she'd say it was too babyish and/or lame. The headbanging was *me*....I can't stand....I mean I HATE, actually....the Fresh Beat Band. This is similar to that, but a bit different.

I can relate. The very last time we exchange Christmas presents with dh's sister (who literally demands high end items for herself and her kids :glare:), she sent our 18 yr. old daughter a Melissa and Doug bead kit, and a Toy Story DVD for our then 9, 11, and 13 year old boys to share. She sent dh a child's age 6-10 Civil War puzzle book and a cake mix to me.

The other day she called dh to ask if our eldest boy would like a Mickey Mouse pillowcase because she has an extra. He's 15.5! :001_huh:

Faith

What?! Oh my word!! :smilielol5:

Edited by ~AprilMay~

You know, I've often thought that there was a pt 2 missing from, "It's the thought that counts." and that's "Good thought = good gifts"

I mean, seriously, you don't have to spend $$$, just put some real thought into things...

Faith

:smilielol5: Ok this just made me spit on the screen. And it's a touch screen so now I have to wipe it off before it starts randomly closing stuff.

(and, yeah, my mother does these things. She is not normal. )

You know, I've often thought that there was a pt 2 missing from, "It's the thought that counts." and that's "Good thought = good gifts"

I mean, seriously, you don't have to spend $$$, just put some real thought into things...

No kidding. Just pretend to know the ages of the people you're buying for. And then ask someone at the store.

Exactly. Know the ages, the gender, budget, and then ask someone. It's so easy, even w/out the Hive, to get suggestions from ppl.

"Oh, Suzy Q, it's my granddd's 8th birthday, I just don't know what to get..." and chances are, Suzy Q will have suggestions/opinions.

I have an aunt who got me a stuffed animal from The Little Mermaid for Christmas when I was in high school. Same aunt called me before dd1's first Christmas and asked what she would like. I gave a good-sized list. She gave my one year old wooden pick-up sticks that sharpened to a point at both ends. :001_huh: I forget what she got dd the next year, but it was something equally dangerous. My sister and I refer to the gifts our kids got from our aunt during those years as the Christmas Presents of Death.

Boy, makes me especially grateful for my MIL giving cash most holidays.

She used to have us buy Christmas gifts, but now at each birthday and at Christmas she takes time with each grandchild to take them shopping for their own gift.

I remember getting a baby doll that talked when I was in 5th grade :confused:

My grandmother has found a hammock in her attic that she doesn't want, so she plans to give it to my dd on her birthday in a couple of months. She'll be 6. I tried to tell them that she never got in the one we have, but they think it's the perfect gift. :001_huh:

My sister and I refer to the gifts our kids got from our aunt during those years as the Christmas Presents of Death.
:lol:

My DS is a Christmas baby.

For DS's first birthday, FIL (newly divorced and new to buying gifts - still!) gave DS a glass jar in the shape of a Christmas tree. The jar was filled with hard peppermint candies.

Because every one-year-old loves peppermint flavoring, right? :lol:

DH and I called it the Double Gift of Death. If the 1-year-one doesn't choke on the wildly inappropriate hard candies, he can always fall and cut himself on the glass jar. :001_huh:

:iagree:

I try really hard to believe "It's the thought that counts..." but then you get a crazy gift and all bets are off! Like when DH gave me an electric blanket for Valentine's Day. :001_huh: (And I was in menopause and having awful hot flashes. :tongue_smilie:)

Exactly. Know the ages, the gender, budget, and then ask someone. It's so easy, even w/out the Hive, to get suggestions from ppl.

"Oh, Suzy Q, it's my granddd's 8th birthday, I just don't know what to get..." and chances are, Suzy Q will have suggestions/opinions.

I have worked retail at a number of places and always loved helping people spend their money. Er... Help people pick out wonderful, thoughtful gifts.

sometimes it really is the thought that counts. I'd give her the benefit of the doubt - unless you know her to be an obnoxious person who gives gifts with intent to insult. Many older people dont' know what is age appropriate or what particular kids would like and they are left trying to do the best they can.

I have an aunt who got me a stuffed animal from The Little Mermaid for Christmas when I was in high school. Same aunt called me before dd1's first Christmas and asked what she would like. I gave a good-sized list. She gave my one year old wooden pick-up sticks that sharpened to a point at both ends. :001_huh: I forget what she got dd the next year, but it was something equally dangerous. My sister and I refer to the gifts our kids got from our aunt during those years as the Christmas Presents of Death.

I wonder if every family has that one person who always gives the Bag o' Glass gift. For us, it was the well-meaning relative who gave our three-year-old a beautiful (and probably quite expensive) Swiss Army knife. She was so excited because it had two blades, a screwdriver, and a woodsaw!

I will trade you!

I wonder if every family has that one person who always gives the Bag o' Glass gift. For us, it was the well-meaning relative who gave our three-year-old a beautiful (and probably quite expensive) Swiss Army knife. She was so excited because it had two blades, a screwdriver, and a woodsaw!

My 8 yo will still watch Sesame Street. Oh, and she discovered the Laurie Berkner Band video on Netflix and has been watching that a lot today, because it brings back memories of when she was a toddler/pre-k.

I remember one year my great grandmother gave me a pink plastic case with a pretend hair dryer, plastic pretend lipstick, and a plastic eyeshadow compact. I was around eleven or twelve at the time. The "makeup" wasn't even usable, like the makeup marketed for little girls to use during dress up "like Mommy". It was just plastic shaped like makeup. The hair dryer didn't blow out any air, either, but it did make a sound like a hair dryer. "Umm, gee, thanks, Grandma."

My MIL has given the kids mouldy toys.

I think, though, the topper may be when she gave Tazzie a dvd of Bible stories, one of which was, "The Demoniac Boy" on it. Ages 12+. He was 3. :glare:

I probably should mention that she'd spent the visit a cpl of months prior complaining constantly about his behaviour. :glare:

Formulating an idea here. . .

The well-intentioned gift swap.

Once a year (probably after Christmas) we can all swap gifts because these people who buy these age inappropriate gifts never save receipts :lol:

The 3 year old can swap his Swiss army knife for the 14 year old's Sesame Street DVD. The five year old can swap her makeup kit for the 12 year old's size six princess outfit. I can swap whatever crazy thing my dh gets me for just about any other gift imaginable:tongue_smilie:

I do believe that one takes the cake!

These stories are terrible, yet terribly funny.

I am reminded of DDs 1st bday when my mom gave her the wooden stacking toy (wooden dowel with colored rings that fit on it). I said, "Gee Mom, thanks for the Toy of Death" because 1 yo are clumsy and I could just envision her impelling herself on that dowel. So then at the birthday party she gets the same gift from my fathers mother (dd's ggm). Of course my mom had to pipe in and say, "what did you call that toy earlier?" ;) troublemaker!

Formulating an idea here. . .

The well-intentioned gift swap.

Once a year (probably after Christmas) we can all swap gifts because these people who buy these age inappropriate gifts never save receipts :lol:

The 3 year old can swap his Swiss army knife for the 14 year old's Sesame Street DVD. The five year old can swap her makeup kit for the 12 year old's size six princess outfit. I can swap whatever crazy thing my dh gets me for just about any other gift imaginable:tongue_smilie:

I like it!!!!

Anne