Menu

Reason 10,001 that Homeschool Rocks!

When you're a 6 year old boy...You can do your math with your super secret Spy Gear invisible ink pen so your answers are revealed only with the proper equipment. :D

When you're a 9 year old girl...You can do your grammar work with your kitty sitting and purring so lovingly on your lap, so it doesn't really feel like work at all. :)

What are your "this would never happen in PS" moments?

I love the flexibility of homeschooling! The other day my boys were acting like they had enough...so we took a break and went to the park for a scavenger hunt. And when we came back my ds6 did his spelling and math outside while playing in the sprinkler. I just had him verbally spell his words and figure his math answers mentally :D

10-year-old boy always has his cat on his lap during school. Cat doesn't always approve, but is more pleasant about it than I would be.

Same boy - much younger - always dressed in costumes for school. Lion. Fire fighter. Train engineer. Great memories.

Oh... My favorite:

We did the ITBS at home when he was in 1st grade. One of the vocab questions was "battle." DS jumped up on the school table, acted out an epic battle with his pencil while screaming "battle, battle, battle" and dashed off. He was just done - mentally and physically.

Made me wonder how many boys in public school came to that same question and were just as mentally done as my DS was at that moment, but were stuck in their school desks.

Mine is not so warm and fuzzy, but it is a reason why homeschool rocks all the same.

My ds14, who would like to blow through his subjects without really learning them, has me sitting right next to him, making him study. And I'm not deterred by his tantrums. He would not have someone who would be able to do that at public school or private school either. And as I explained to him today, this is because I love him and want the best for him and having him learn how to really study is what is best for him right now.

Guns and zombie word problems for ds's math is the best.

Praising him for a correctly spelled (bad) word, and it confused him to no end! Lol. He thought i was going to send him to his bed, instead i pretended to be all excited that he sounded out and spelled a word. Later that day he wrote some more appropriate words and i was just as excited.

Praising him for a correctly spelled (bad) word, and it confused him to no end! Lol. He thought i was going to send him to his bed, instead i pretended to be all excited that he sounded out and spelled a word. Later that day he wrote some more appropriate words and i was just as excited.

:lol:

And, I haven't figured out multi-quote, yet, but Jean I agree there are warm fuzzy reasons and not-so-warm fuzzy reasons, and you're right that would not happen at PS. We have days like that, too.

Hmmm....

Taking turns jumping on the Bosu (trampoline) while doing your memory work.

"DANCE BREAK!!!"

Spelling tests in sidewalk chalk, take a picture, print it and put it in the notebook.

Biking to Subway to lunch

Going to the museum in the afternoon, after the field trips have left, and having it to ourselves.

Hanging out with kids older and younger than ourselves

And, what my son tells people if they ask him if he likes home-school....

"It's great, I never have to wear shoes!"

and you get to see math with "Legos"!

:)

Hot Lava Mama

We used Lego to teach my son to build letters. His sister then used the HWOT wood blocks- and she glued glitter and stickers all over them. She'd never have gotten to do that in a school setting where all resources are shared and re-used. Not that I wouldn't have like to hand-down those blocks...

Homeschooling rocks because it prepared me to teach others any subject. Now in my post homeschooling life, I have had an adult Somali woman ask me to teach her math. She did not receive an education in her country, although she is literate. I am honored and prepared! ;)

I am also coaching an Ethiopian immigrant on essay writing for a college class. I am teaching him grammar, usage and structure while we go over his papers. We (:lol:) got a 93 on our last paper LOL! Who knew that my most important skill set would be due to my homeschooling adventure!

Giving them the chance to truly master a topic before moving on. ("Mom, isn't moving on after only getting 75% right kind of like building a skyscraper on 3/4 of a foundation?")

Giving them time to figure out that failing at something isn't the end of the world. Sometimes, you realize it wasn't your thing and move on. Other times, you scrape yourself up off of the sidewalk and try again. But you don't look around to assign blame and humiliation points, you just fix it.

Spontaneous field trips!

I love all of the times they are learning during unplanned learning opportunities.

We really enjoy eating the results of DD's work in the kitchen. She is allowed to make one thing a day. She loves to bake, so she gets hands-on practice in chemistry. We have a large family, so she usually doubles the recipe and also practices her fractions. We get to enjoy yummy brioche, butterscotch, caramel and chocolate sauces, scones, cakes, cookies, baguettes.....:D

For us it's ds getting to take skateboard breaks between subjects so he can nail his tricks. :D I have no idea how this child survived 3 years of PS without losing his sanity and costing the teacher hers. Lol!

For dd it's being able to hold a guinea pig while doing her reading.

They both love field tripping as a homeschooler. It is sooooo much better being able to go where you want for as long as you want and not having to go through it as a group. It just feels so free and organic to have this kind of childhood versus growing up in an institutional setting.

Hsing is also cool because your dc can do their lessons in dress up clothes. My dd loves a photo I have of her sitting at a table in a tutu, practicing her letters in her penmanship book. My dc have done lessons wearing princess clothes and hats, as well as capes and knight dress up clothes. Of course, they can also do lessons in their pajamas.

Homeschooling rocks...

Because Mom can start a fire with HUGE flames in a frying pan to illustrate how quickly oil gets hot and how it doesn't mix with water ;-)

Because archery counts as PE and is not considered to be "taking a weapon to school" thereby causing him to be expelled.

Because Dad can call at the last minute when one of his appointments cancels and says "Let's all go for a picnic at the swim beach today! Pack the cooler!" and we can actually do it.

Because we can read together with our heads on each others shoulders.

Because we have the very, very best conversations that would have totally been missed out on if we were not homeschooling.

Because older and younger siblings help each other, and we learn to rely more on family.

Because dissecting a maggot infested dead snake might be gag inducing for mom, but we still take pictures of it!

Because minor remodeling of a rental house becomes a chance to really show how all that math is going to come into play in real life...and because we can totally tun it into a unit study!

Because we try things even if we have no prayer of being good at them, like musical instruments, because there is no one around to tell us we stink!

Because I know my kids better and they know me better than any of us ever imagined we would.

Because they are my favorite people in the world to be with, and they don't think I am a total embarrassment.

Because we meet really cool adults who teach us all sorts of new things!

Because starting school at 9:00 AM is really, really nice.

My girls would say homeschooling rocks because they don't have a wake-up time every day. And they school in pajamas every day. No make-up worries.

My son, I'm convinced, would never survive in a brick and mortar school. He is up and running around the house between every subject. The boy just cannot sit still. Well, he can cause we test eery year and he sits there. But I'm so glad I don't have to make him.

My children laughing and giggling together in sourts throughout the day, Just one thing that I ma grateful for these days. There are a million more! I see the fruits of homeschooling in my older dc. They are praised by many when we go to visit them. I am proud of them and wouldn't change a thing!

I haven't even started "real" school yet, and see so many benefits coming my way!

Being able to do evening events sometimes and just let the kids sleep in or nap the next day.

Travel in the off season.

Sleep!! DD would be ok, but my boys need a lot more sleep than average. That would get pretty hard if they had to be at school at 7am!

Scheduling school around DW's days off. She'll likely be doing shiftwork in the next few years, and not being tied to the school day/year will be very useful!