Menu

Help!!! Re: Christian book club

Somehow I got myself chosen to lead the next book discussion in the "Christian book club" class that meets at our church on Wednesday nights.

The first book, the one we are finishing now, is The Gospel of Ruth. It is not my kind of book, but at least the discussions are lively and the people are fun.

Now, I've been asked to choose the next book and lead the discussion. The problem: I admit it, I am a book snob. I tend to stay away from Christian romance, Christian weepy (I can't think of what else to call it), Christian apocalyptic, or Christian revisionist historical fiction.

This is a group of women of all ages, and I would describe them as relaxed fundamentalists. A lot of them read the above kinds of books and enjoy them. What am I doing in this class? Well, they are my friends and the alternative was a little boring.

So, I need a book that we will enjoy discussing but that won't drive me batty from a surplus of inanity, fiction or non-fiction. It needs to have Biblical "application."

Do you have any suggestions? Please do not say The Shack. ;)

ETA: Thanks for all the suggestions! I've looked at each and every one. Some I had to nix right away. Others are very intriguing and I might read them for myself. Others I've already read and I agree they are wonderful. I got so excited about Crazy Love by Francis Chan, then I found out it's being done on Sunday morning. I'm still sifting through every thing. Hopefully I'll come to a conclusion soon.

Edited by Onceuponatime

Not sure if it'd be too out there, but Traveling Mercies, by Anne Lamott, could really spark some interesting discussion. It's about a woman who, after living a lifestyle that's pretty rough, finds herself pregnant and partner-less. She becomes a Christian (all this takes place before the book's time period) but still retains a personality ;). It's her struggles along the way--meanwhile, she has a dear friend who finds out she has cancer.

Really funny and thought-provoking. Maybe it'd be a healthy read for the group, as it may (or may not) broaden their definitions of Christianity. (Said gently)

Well, there's a lot of actual literature with Christian themes to discuss, you know: Flannery O'Connor, Fyodor Dostoevsky, JRR Tolkien, GK Chesterton, John Bunyan, Herman Melville, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Charles Dickens are a few that come to mind.

If those are too "heavy" for your group, I would highly recommend Michael Phillip's modern adaptions of George MacDonald's novels, especially The Baronet's Song or The Fisherman's Lady. They read like historical fiction (of course, they were contemporary fiction at the time they were written!) and they are excellent. (In fact, if you don't read them for your group, track them down for yourself. Unfortunately, they are out of print, but some you can find cheap secondhand on Amazon.com. I think you can get the original Sir Gibbie on Kindle for free, but the original Scotch dialect is really rough reading!

Other than that . . . Lisa Samson is the about the only contemporary author publishing with a Christian publishing house that I can deal with. Try Songbird.

Edited by tristangrace
typo

Anything by Francine Rivers is good. Some of them have some romance in them, but that's not the main emphasis in any of her books. Redeeming Love is my favorite (it's a retelling of the book of Hosea), but Her Mother's Hope might also be a good one. Really, any of them would be good.

For non-fiction, Crazy Love by Francis Chan is pretty good. My Bible Study group is reading it right now.

Edited by mandymom

does it have to be fiction? i usually prefer non-fiction, but my mom reads tons of fiction. her latest love was a book called Eli. i've not read it, but i trust my mom, and i consider myself a relaxed fundamentalist like the ladies in your group.

ETA - here's the right link:): http://www.amazon.com/Eli/dp/B0000547QG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1337603456&sr=8-4

Edited by mytwomonkeys

I just thought of the perfect book. It's called Demon: A Memoir by Tosca Lee. She also has a book called Havah, but I thought Demon was much better. I know the title sounds a little iffy, but I fall into the "relaxed fundamental" group too most likely as do my friends. I loaned several the book, and they all loved it too. It's really a thought provoking book. We definitely spent time discussing it.

Edited by mandymom

I tend to stay away from Christian romance, Christian weepy (I can't think of what else to call it), Christian apocalyptic, or Christian revisionist historical fiction.

:iagree:

I stay away (far away!) from all of the above.

A Christian author I actually enjoy is Frank Peretti; I love all of his books!

My favorites were This Present Darkness, and the sequel, Piercing the Darkness.

Edited by oasis

If those are too "heavy" for your group, I would highly recommend Michael Phillip's modern adaptions of George MacDonald's novels, especially The Baronet's Song or The Fisherman's Lady. They read like historical fiction (of course, they were contemporary fiction at the time they were written!) and they are excellent. (In fact, if you don't read them for your group, track them down for yourself. Unfortunately, they are out of print, but some you can find cheap secondhand on Amazon.com. I think you can get the original Sir Gibbie on Kindle for free, but the original Scotch dialect is really rough reading!

These are some of my favorite books! I was very gratefully gifted all of them may years ago, and refuse to part with them. The Fisherman's Lady is my personal favorite. Highly recommend if you can find enough copies.

I am so with you re Christian romance- blech.

Lamott can write and tackles tough issues but, fwiw, she is a gutter mouth and so NOT fundy on any level.

Seconding C.S. Lewis (just listened to FoF Radio theater of Screwtape- excellent) and Chesterton, Tolkien.

Lawhead- ds 17 and I have really enjoyed several of his fictional series. I thought the Hood series was terrific (Robin Hood).

I've recently fallen in LOVE with Dorothy Sayers. (my review on Gaudy Night) The woman is BRILLIANT and a terrific writer. She's written a ton of stuff, was the first woman to grad Oxford and was part of the Inklings. The Lord Peter mysteries each have a great theme- Gaudy Night was about women's issues, The 9 Tailors about justice and mercy, etc.

Also Chiam Potok- I'd start with The Chosen- a terrific read about WWII and the Jewish nation- very applicable to a Christian book club. Potok is a brilliant writer.

Francine Rivers-

Ted Dekker- his earlier stuff- he's getting a bit weird- The Circle Trilogy (skip Green) is very good.

Same Kind of Different As Me- good look at social class, wealth and living the Christian life despite circumstances.

Anything by Corrie TenBoom.

I'm reading The Harbinger right now- like it, very interesting look at 9/11, but the conclusions are a bit obvious. That being said, it's worth reading.

I recently read Gilead by Marilynne Robinson and really enjoyed it. The author is a Christian but it is quality literature. (Isn't it sad we have to use the conjuction "but" in that sentence?) I also liked A Song I Knew by Heart by Brett Lott, although you might want to preread that one and see if it fits your group. It is also a quality contemporary novel by a Christian author.

Elaine

I am a Christian Romance author, so I'll try not to take any of the above personally ;)

What genres do you prefer? Suspense, Women's Fiction, General? Try fictionfinder.com where you can plug in your preferred genre and it'll generate a list.

I also agree with the PP that almost anything by Francine Rivers is awesome.

Peace Like a River~miracles surround this father of 3 as the family pulls up roots to look for the oldest son

So Brave, Young, and Handsome (both by Leif Enger)~traveling west, themes of forgiveness

Gilead~old Midwestern pastor facing his coming death and writing letters to his young son

Home (both by Marilynne Robinson)

The River Why (David James Duncan)~how a fisherman might come to know God

Things Fall Apart (Achebe)~I think this has an interesting view of missionaries from the ruling class when they first meet them. I enjoyed reading this with Bruchko (biography of a missionary to the Motilone Indians of Columbia) and Bruce Olson: Missionary or Colonizer? There are different views of missionaries. Some consider them cultural exterminators. Some consider them precursors to Western imperialism. Whatever the case things change, people change. Reading these 3 books gave me a full sense of what missionary work is (not just from a Christian view).

Coop: a Family, a Farm, the Pursuit of One Good Egg (Perry)~very respectful memoir by an agnostic remembering his religious family, humorous, obviously searching. Makes more sense for Protestants.

There's always memoirs and the church fathers. The Hiding Place/something by or about Bonhoeffer. I'm not sure what denomination you are but sometimes its interesting to read something about another denomination. The Cloister Walk (agnostic being drawn to Catholicism), A Long Retreat (memoir of starting a career as a Jesuit), Surprised by Christ (Judaism to Orthodox). I also find a lot of strength reading the Jewish novels of Chaim Potok--My Name is Asher Lev or The Chosen both have themes (faith vs. art, religious expectations and self) which will resonate with many Christians.

There are more. I'll think a bit.

Fiction options!

My Hands Came Away Red by Lisa McKay (Mission focus)

Velva Jean Learns to Drive by Jennifer Niven (I really enjoyed this one! Great characters.)

Fiddler's Gun by A.S. Peterson (Historical fiction with an adventurous heroine)

Nation by Terry Pratchett

These are fiction selections that don't slap you in the face with Christian themes, but definitely have them. (I don't like Christian romance at ALL.) However, because they are not Christian--or obviously Christian--they might not be right for your group.

A good non-fiction one might be Same Kind of Different As Me or Life Without Limits. Both really great!

Maybe one of C.S. Lewis' books like Screwtape Letters or Til We Have Faces

Edited by 6packofun

This probably wouldn't fly because of the conservative nature of your group but I found "The Unlikely Disciple--A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University" by Kevin Roose a fascinating and funny read. My oldest read it after I did and it generated a lot of discussion between us.

Read the reviews for details.

http://www.amazon.com/Unlikely-Disciple-Semester-Americas-University/dp/B003UYV1VA/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1337646596&sr=1-1

The Hiding Place is a great book that I just finished. It would be a great book for all Christians to read and discuss. It is non fiction.

:iagree:My group just read and discussed The Hiding Place. It was one of our favorite books!

Anything by George MacDonald!

In his fiction you feel like you are reading a story but suddenly you fall into these deep spritual epiphanies. I guess this is why C.S. Lewis is reported to have said "I have never written a book in which I did not quote George MacDonald."