Menu

What kind of grain mill do I want?

You definitely want the Nutrimill.:D

:iagree:

I just ordered one, too (get the free bagger option if you can find someone offering that still!). I've had both a Nutrimill and a Wondermill before. The Nutrimill is bigger, and it has the nice feature of being able to turn it on and off even if there's grain in the hopper (can't do that with the Wondermill). It takes up less counter space, too, while using it.

I had to buy a second one because I blew up my first one. My fault (rock in the grain, I think). It does have a lifetime warranty if it breaks NOT due to such a user error.

I've had a Magic Mill III and a Whisper Mill. both were quite good, but I liked the Whisper Mill more. It wasn't exactly a "whisper" but still, much quieter. I don't know if they still make either of these models. I need to do some research because I'm planning to sell the WM (already sold the MM).

I've had my Nutrimill for a year now, and I have to agree that it's a great machine. I did my research before buying, and I'm still glad I went with it.

(Now as for the Bosch mixer that many people get along with the Nutrimill, I do have some regrets about it. I like the job it does, but I wish someone had told me that the lids are BPA plastic (#7 PC) and the blender is, too! But I digress....)

We have the Country Living Mill. It's worked great, but it does take up a lot of room (DH attached it to a board so as not to ruin the countertop). We had it non-motorized at first, which took forever to grind enough for bread. Now, with the motor, it is very, very loud. If you had an option for something quieter, I recommend going that direction.

Erica in OR

Ignorant buttinsky here...are you using this machine to grind your own wheat for flour? Besides the obvious (freshness) what are the benefits? I'm asking b/c I'm in the process of going GF and have been wondering about making my own bread and/or grinding my own flour.

Thanks!

All you mill using people, does anyone know where I can get replacement parts for my Ultramill? Somehow we've lost the collector cup.

To the GF poster, I had a friend who was going GF for a while. For them it was less expensive to grind some things at home (even wiht the cost of the mill, which they bought second hand) than buying GF flours. You can grind corn, garbanzos, buckwheat... basically anything that's not oily in most grain mills. I've ground our popcorn when I was a little short on cornmeal for cornbread ;)

To the GF poster, I had a friend who was going GF for a while. For them it was less expensive to grind some things at home (even wiht the cost of the mill, which they bought second hand) than buying GF flours. You can grind corn, garbanzos, buckwheat... basically anything that's not oily in most grain mills. I've ground our popcorn when I was a little short on cornmeal for cornbread ;)

That's what I was thinking, thanks!

All you mill using people, does anyone know where I can get replacement parts for my Ultramill? Somehow we've lost the collector cup.

Have you tried online or at Ebay? One idea is to see sellers on eBay who sell your mill as a business and see if they also can get parts.

I am not familiar with that mill but perhaps Marilyn Moll (Urbanhomemaker) sells parts. She's sells lots of bread making supplies.

Have you tried online or at Ebay? One idea is to see sellers on eBay who sell your mill as a business and see if they also can get parts.

I am not familiar with that mill but perhaps Marilyn Moll (Urbanhomemaker) sells parts. She's sells lots of bread making supplies.

Yeah... I finally found it at Pleasant Hill. I'm just feeling incredibly whiny about paying $2.99 for the cup, but $7.95 for shipping.

Ignorant buttinsky here...are you using this machine to grind your own wheat for flour? Besides the obvious (freshness) what are the benefits? I'm asking b/c I'm in the process of going GF and have been wondering about making my own bread and/or grinding my own flour.

Thanks!

Not just better taste, but much higher nutritional value in fresh-ground flour, too.

I have a Nutrimill, too, and love it. I had the attachment for the KA before that, and it never ground the wheat fine enough for a light bread, plus you couldn't grind very much at one time. I have never regretted getting rid of it and getting the Nutrimill.

• 1 month later...
Not just better taste, but much higher nutritional value in fresh-ground flour, too.

From what I've read, even store-bought whole wheat flour loses a lot of nutrients because of the heat used during processing.

I've been thinking about sprouting my wheat & drying it in my dehydrator before grinding it, to further enhance the nutritional benefits.

I have a Wondermill hand-grinder. It's a solid, well-made piece of equipment, but it's a lot of work to grind the flour. Obviously most people prefer the electric versions.