Menu

For those who live in MD, VA, GA- homeschooling law

Do you homeschool, using Portfolio option or other (umbrella schools, etc)?

With dh's job possibilities, I'm researching which state has friendly laws. I got TX down but wanted to learn more about the above 3 States. Some folks mentioned that it is a breeze and easy or laws have changed past a few years and it is much easier now.

I just checked HSLDA website for each laws but they don't sound easy to me.

Need to record 4.5 hours daily lessons, submit paperwork monthly, evaluation needs to be approved by superintendent annually, required testing done by superintendent, etc. Do you do all this? Is there a less constricted way?

I just want honest opinion how you homeschool in these States that make the homeschooling easy.

Thank you.

Edited by mommywise
omit words

GA is easy. :confused: Submit intent to home school at beginning of school year, submit monthly attendance (check off which days you schooled & running total), take standardized tests every 3 years but you don't have to submit the results to anyone. :D

I live in VA and this will be my 1st year hs here. I have to send a letter of intent, my curicculum plans(just the courses not all the books i will be using) and do and submit testing every year. It isn't complicated, but i just moved from IL where it was so much easier.

In MD we have no attendance requirement, no testing requirement, and are reviewed twice a year by either the county reviewer or the umbrella school we enroll with. County reviews are portfolio reviews, with samples of work and resource lists. Umbrellas are church organizations (by law) and set their own review standards. Either mechanism is reviewing parents, not children.

Here is the actual law.

I run an umbrella, so I have it pretty easy ;). Friends who review with their counties get a letter in the fall and spring to make an appointment with the reviewer, meet them at the library or somewhere with a binder of work samples and a materials list, talk about what they've been doing, and go home. The worst thing that can happen in a review (provided you show up and are relatively conscientious, and actually educating your child) is that the reviewer would like to see more documentation next time. The caveats I listed are because they will definitely schedule a mid-year review with someone who doesn't seem to be educating their children - single sample in each subject, no resources listed, not able to discuss education in their house convincingly, that sort of thing. Lots of people get a ding somewhere on their review, usually for documentation of things like PE. They're just asked to provide more/better documentation at the next review. I don't know of anyone who has ever been observed providing instruction (that weird clause in the law), but I assume that would happen if a parent provides really substandard documentation several times, as an attempt to ascertain that instruction is, in fact, going on, before the superintendent takes action.

Umbrellas vary in their requirements. Some want to approve your curriculum, some have peer review, etc. In ours, we have a face to face (no materials, just discussion) review on field trips, then parents send in a paper summary of what they covered in each subject area and a materials list at the end of the year.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

I live in VA and test my kids once a year. I could do it at home, but the school does it for free and I like my kids to have the chance to test in a "real" testing situation.

There is very little to worry about with the testing. Your child only need score in the 20-something percentile in order to "pass".

Lisa

I just recently moved to VA from MD so I'm kind of new the laws here. But, I can help you with Maryland! :001_smile:

Here's a fact sheet from the DoE website - http://www.msde.maryland.gov/MSDE/divisions/studentschoolsvcs/student_services_alt/home_schooling/docs/homeschool_factsheet.htm

Maryland really isn't hard. Send in your NOI every August, and choose the option you want. I was also actually under the BoE supervision but only because the lady doing my reviews was a fellow homeschooler. :D Just know the law and remember that Maryland's law is statewide and the various districts cannot add more to the homeschool requirements.

Beth

I've homeschooled in both Maryland and Virginia. They are both super easy.

In VA, you submit a notice of intent annually that includes, basically, what you will be doing (it can be super vague and the state only seems to care about language arts and math) and why you can homeschool (minimum required is parent having a high school diploma OR providing some proof that you can homeschool your kids) and starting the school year the child is 6 by 9/30, you have to prove progress annually. There are a few options, but most people just use the CAT-E Survey which is $25 from Seton. Kids have to score in the 24th percentile or higher (there are some exceptions, such as if a kid was lower than that in public school before they were pulled out). It's all done through the mail.

In MD, you submit the notice of intent before beginning to homeschool. After that you have to reaffirm annually that you will be continuing to homeschool, but that can just be done verbally at your portfolio review. We have a list of subjects that we need to teach (but that is easier done than said in the law, really; for example, I combine health and science because that makes sense to me and have never had an issue). The law here is interesting because it does not say we have to prove progress, but instead that we need to teach something in the subjects. Basically, instead of the responsibility being on the kid, it's on the teacher. We can have portfolio reviews up to three times a year. I live in Charles County and in practice (as in most counties from what I've heard) it's twice a year, sort of. In the fall we fill out a form saying we are teaching all the subjects and mail it in. In the spring we have the actual review. For us, that's about 15 minutes total. The reviewer just makes sure we've been teaching/doing *something* in each subjects, checks the box, and sends us on our way. Super easy. There is also an option for using an umbrella school. The requirements (subjects, portfolio review) are the same, but you review with the umbrella rather than the county. Personally, I haven't seen the point of that (at least before high school - some umbrellas do give high school diplomas) since it costs money while the county reviews are free.

I just wanted to add, in MD, yes, umbrella schools are technically church-affiliated, but there are at least 2, and I think I heard of a 3rd, secular umbrella groups. One is run by the Society of Ethical People, another is affiliated with an earth-based faith but it is not a requirement to be of that faith to participate, and I'm not sure of the 3rd.

I've also reviewed with the county [Howard] and it was fairly easy, I just didn't like the principle of it, and felt like I was doing more record-keeping than I would on my own, or maybe "different" is the better word.

I have friends who have reviewed in Baltimore City that get crappy reviewers who make up stuff that they "need". :/ It really does vary county to county, but the law is fairly straight-forward: show instruction not progress in the key areas.

Honestly, I think MD is pretty easy.

I just wanted to add, in MD, yes, umbrella schools are technically church-affiliated, but there are at least 2, and I think I heard of a 3rd, secular umbrella groups. One is run by the Society of Ethical People, another is affiliated with an earth-based faith but it is not a requirement to be of that faith to participate, and I'm not sure of the 3rd.

I've also reviewed with the county [Howard] and it was fairly easy, I just didn't like the principle of it, and felt like I was doing more record-keeping than I would on my own, or maybe "different" is the better word.

I have friends who have reviewed in Baltimore City that get crappy reviewers who make up stuff that they "need". :/ It really does vary county to county, but the law is fairly straight-forward: show instruction not progress in the key areas.

Honestly, I think MD is pretty easy.

If you're thinking of MPNL, we're not so much earth-based as inclusive. On our executive board, we're pagan, Catholic, fundamentalist/other conservative Christian, agnostic... ;) Our membership, I think, includes people from all faith (or non) backgrounds. (I think because we simply don't ask, so unless it comes up in conversation, I wouldn't know.)

I agree that MD is pretty easy. Most people who contact me share your thoughts about just not wanting to feel like they're spending so much time on documentation.

They just changed the law in Georgia so that you no longer have to submit monthly attendance! (The letter of intent and testing requirements didn't change.)

I thought that, starting this fall, we still had to turn in our attendance records, but only once a year to the state instead of every month to our school district (?).

If you're thinking of MPNL, we're not so much earth-based as inclusive. On our executive board, we're pagan, Catholic, fundamentalist/other conservative Christian, agnostic... ;) Our membership, I think, includes people from all faith (or non) backgrounds. (I think because we simply don't ask, so unless it comes up in conversation, I wouldn't know.)

I agree that MD is pretty easy. Most people who contact me share your thoughts about just not wanting to feel like they're spending so much time on documentation.

:D Yes, I was thinking of MPNL. I get what you're saying about it being inclusive; I just think a lot of people looking at your website [at least last year when I looked at it] might get a different impression. But, yes, everyone I've ever talked to who has been a member has said MPNL is very inclusive and very unschooling-friendly! :D

In the end, I went with Maryland Homeschool Review, because I was already going up to BHCC for classes and know the reviewers, so it just "felt" right. :)

:D Yes, I was thinking of MPNL. I get what you're saying about it being inclusive; I just think a lot of people looking at your website [at least last year when I looked at it] might get a different impression. But, yes, everyone I've ever talked to who has been a member has said MPNL is very inclusive and very unschooling-friendly! :D

In the end, I went with Maryland Homeschool Review, because I was already going up to BHCC for classes and know the reviewers, so it just "felt" right. :)

Yep. That would be our (pagan) executive director. My website (eastern shore) is less, erm, "decorative". :lol:

I really encourage people to figure out what feels right for them. It's important to find a good fit so you can get on with your educational life.

MD Homeschool Review is SEP, right? They're relatively new on the umbrella scene, so I don't know too much about them. (it's not much of a question that comes up over here, anyway.)

That reminds me I need to look up MPNL, I was going to just use the county, but with DS' traumatic brain injury, I think we are going to go for a much more unschooling type Kindergarten year, which means I want to be covered by an umbrella rather then the school district.

That reminds me I need to look up MPNL, I was going to just use the county, but with DS' traumatic brain injury, I think we are going to go for a much more unschooling type Kindergarten year, which means I want to be covered by an umbrella rather then the school district.

Assuming you're in the central area, I know Tuesdi has worked out a relationship with a special needs group to provide umbrella services as part of their gathering, as well. That may or may not be something you have interest in, but I thought I'd mention it. :)

Assuming you're in the central area, I know Tuesdi has worked out a relationship with a special needs group to provide umbrella services as part of their gathering, as well. That may or may not be something you have interest in, but I thought I'd mention it. :)

Oh nice to know. Yep I am in Howard, so definitely central area. Maybe as I get more time in the hospital I'll look it up, this week or next.

Virginia:

I give a notice of intent. I do not do the form the school provides. I write a letter with a copy of my degree(hs diploma ok). I give kids names, list of subjects(never listed curriculum, just subjects). Come spring we test or do a portfolio. The CAT test is simple and cheap. I mail results with the next year's intent letter with new school year date on it(never change it otherwise).

It is easy. There are other ways to hs in VA but the first option is easiest.

I thought that, starting this fall, we still had to turn in our attendance records, but only once a year to the state instead of every month to our school district (?).

Yes, we do have to submit annual attendance to the state DOE but no more monthly attendance reports. :001_smile: Someone had mentioned the monthly reports earlier in the thread, so I was just clarifying.

(If you are nerdy and want to see how the new regulations compare to previous ones, you can view the bill with marked changes here: http://www1.legis.ga.gov/legis/2011_12/fulltext/hb39.htm)

Yep, GA's easy. You are supposed to write up annual summaries/evaluations but no one checks up on you. And if they did you wouldn't be required to show them. I haven't done it in a couple of years. Yearly declaration of intent and attendence will take about 10 minutes of my year.

MD Homeschool Review is SEP, right? They're relatively new on the umbrella scene, so I don't know too much about them. (it's not much of a question that comes up over here, anyway.)

Yes, they are just finishing up their 1st year!

I graduated high school on the Eastern Shore. :)

Yes VA is fairly easy as others have stated.

there is also Religious exemption which if you choose to do that do lots of reading about it. It is then free from any oversight at all.

there is also a tutoring choice not under the hsing law but available to anyone. If you have a valid teaching certificate-some say it must be VA but I have heard of others using other states. Again once you apply for it there is no testing with it either

I finally got around to calling to schedule my spring review. The reminder card came a few weeks ago. Since I have done an in-person review the last two years and clearly showed I'd taught all the subject as required, they gave me the option of doing the review right then over the phone. I said that sounded good to me so 5 minutes later I hung up, all done for the year! Pretty much I just affirmed that I am teaching all the subjects, have a portfolio in case there was any question for any reason, the kids will still be homeschooled next year, what grades they'll be doing, and that was that. The reviewer guy will sign it and mail me a copy showing that I have complied with the law. I don't know if other counties do that, but Charles County certainly makes it easy (the guy who does the reviews - the principal of the alternative school - is VERY pro-homeschooling).

GA is easy. :confused: Submit intent to home school at beginning of school year, submit monthly attendance (check off which days you schooled & running total), take standardized tests every 3 years but you don't have to submit the results to anyone. :D

Starting this new school year we only have to submit attendance at the end of the year, no longer monthly. :)

Super easy!

Yes, we do have to submit annual attendance to the state DOE but no more monthly attendance reports. :001_smile: Someone had mentioned the monthly reports earlier in the thread, so I was just clarifying.

(If you are nerdy and want to see how the new regulations compare to previous ones, you can view the bill with marked changes here: http://www1.legis.ga.gov/legis/2011_12/fulltext/hb39.htm)

I'm in GA and had absolutely no idea the law was changing. When does this take effect? I can't find anything on the Dept. of Education website.

Does this mean I won't have to interact with my local BOE anymore? The document in the link above says the Intent form is to be submitted to the Dept. of Education as well as the attendance report. I'm also wondering what the format of the attendance will be. Surely we won't have to do anything more than submit the date right? I hope they don't want us recording hours.

They just changed the law in Georgia so that you no longer have to submit monthly attendance! (The letter of intent and testing requirements didn't change.)

I hadn't heard this, thanks! :D

I'm in GA and had absolutely no idea the law was changing. When does this take effect? 2012-2013 School year.

I can't find anything on the Dept. of Education website.

Does this mean I won't have to interact with my local BOE anymore? The document in the link above says the Intent form is to be submitted to the Dept. of Education as well as the attendance report. I'm also wondering what the format of the attendance will be. Surely we won't have to do anything more than submit the date right? I hope they don't want us recording hours.

If you read the law in the link above, you'll find no changes other than where to submit the letter of intent and attendence report. No requirement to track hours was added.

Virginia:

I give a notice of intent. I do not do the form the school provides. I write a letter with a copy of my degree(hs diploma ok). I give kids names, list of subjects(never listed curriculum, just subjects). Come spring we test or do a portfolio. The CAT test is simple and cheap. I mail results with the next year's intent letter with new school year date on it(never change it otherwise).

It is easy. There are other ways to hs in VA but the first option is easiest.

This is exactly what I do, except that since I have already submitted a copy of my high school transcript (which the district accepted in lieu of a copy of my diploma), I note on my letter of intent that they already have it on record.

Homeschooling under this option requires annual testing, but we also use the cheap and easy CAT at home.

No additional paperwork, no attendance, no report of hours, no portfolio. After submitting my annual NOI, the two districts in which I've lived have responded with a letter granting me "approval" to homeschool. However, by law, they have no authority to grant "approval" as long as I do what is required legally.

It is easy in VA. The "curriculum description" can be daunting the first time, but the law was clarified and simplified earlier this year. I submit the same blurb each year, making small adjustments as needed.

I'm in GA and had absolutely no idea the law was changing. When does this take effect? I can't find anything on the Dept. of Education website.

Lawana answered above, but I'll just add that this SEEMS like an awesome change because sending monthly attendance was always a hassle for me for some reason but I do worry that there's a possibility that they are centralizing homeschooling with the state DOE as a first step toward ultimately regulating it more. So I encourage everyone in Georgia to really pay attention to what's happening with these changes!

Lawana answered above, but I'll just add that this SEEMS like an awesome change because sending monthly attendance was always a hassle for me for some reason but I do worry that there's a possibility that they are centralizing homeschooling with the state DOE as a first step toward ultimately regulating it more. So I encourage everyone in Georgia to really pay attention to what's happening with these changes!

This thought crossed my mind as well.

I first heard about the change through an email from that program where you can sign up for e-reporting. Haven't actually used the e-reporting (too cheap to pay $1/month :D) but I did register so I'm on the email list. I checked the HEIR and GHEA websites but didn't see anything about the changes posted there.

T

Homeschooling under this option requires annual testing, but we also use the cheap and easy CAT at home.

Abeka started testing options this year too. They were $25 for I think just about all of them.

BJU also lowered their prices.

If you read the law in the link above, you'll find no changes other than where to submit the letter of intent and attendence report. No requirement to track hours was added.

Yeah, but the wording seemed strange to me. Then again I'm not great with legaleze. Also, I guess there is no reason to work with the local county board anymore since all we have to submit is the Intent and Attendance and both go to the main DOE. It will be interesting to see if any local boe tries to get information from homeschoolers anyway. I mentioned the possibility of tracking hours simply because I don't see any detailed explanation of what the attendance forms will look like. The wording doesn't specifically state the forms will remain the same. It would be easy for them to make some changes that fall within the wording, especially since they specifically state time schooled is 4.5 hrs. for 180 days.

Yeah, but the wording seemed strange to me. Then again I'm not great with legaleze. Also, I guess there is no reason to work with the local county board anymore since all we have to submit is the Intent and Attendance and both go to the main DOE. It will be interesting to see if any local boe tries to get information from homeschoolers anyway. I mentioned the possibility of tracking hours simply because I don't see any detailed explanation of what the attendance forms will look like. The wording doesn't specifically state the forms will remain the same. It would be easy for them to make some changes that fall within the wording, especially since they specifically state time schooled is 4.5 hrs. for 180 days.

There are no mandated forms, otherwise the law would provide for them. In my county, the BOE sends forms they made up, including a statement of intent that asks for more information than is required by law. For convenience, I usually use the forms provided, but do not include information (grade, special education status) not required by law. I have in the past used a generic form from some other source.

There are no mandated forms, otherwise the law would provide for them. In my county, the BOE sends forms they made up, including a statement of intent that asks for more information than is required by law. For convenience, I usually use the forms provided, but do not include information (grade, special education status) not required by law. I have in the past used a generic form from some other source.

Oh yeah, but I meant that next year when we have to report only to the DOE, I'm wondering if any county boe's will send forms to individuals trying to get information even they will no longer have a legal right to do so. I've heard some counties are more agressive than others about seeking information that isn't even legal, such as the extra information on your intent form.

Oh yeah, but I meant that next year when we have to report only to the DOE, I'm wondering if any county boe's will send forms to individuals trying to get information even they will no longer have a legal right to do so. I've heard some counties are more agressive than others about seeking information that isn't even legal, such as the extra information on your intent form.

Good question. I would think county/city BOEs would be happy to be rid of the responsibility for tracking and maintaining records, but you never know.:glare:

I will ignore any request for info from the county.

Good question. I would think county/city BOEs would be happy to be rid of the responsibility for tracking and maintaining records, but you never know.:glare:

I will ignore any request for info from the county.

I do know that our BOE acts like we are a pain in their rear and rarely have time to "discuss" anything. Only response I ever got was that they preferred we mail the forms in and stop emailing them in they were using too much of their resources to print all the homeschool forms from internet email....which happened to have me question her what my tax dollars were paying for? I also stated I would continue to email since I paid for that toner and paper! LOL

Yeah, but the wording seemed strange to me. Then again I'm not great with legaleze. Also, I guess there is no reason to work with the local county board anymore since all we have to submit is the Intent and Attendance and both go to the main DOE.

I thought it sounded like the state could still delegate the paperwork task to the counties/school districts. I'm wondering how this new change will affect kids getting their driver's permit since we had to get the school district to sign off that ds was in compliance re: attendance.

:iagree: Homeschooling in GA was easy compared to where I live now (NY). And if the other poster is correct and attendance is no longer required that's even better!

Another MDer who thinks MD is easy. I'll grant you, it's not as easy as TX, but it's easy. I have used an umbrella most of my years homeschooling and the umbrella requirements are simple to meet. I just fill out an annual summary and meet with my reviewer once a year.

I have used the county Board of Ed. option, but I didn't like it. My reviewer was severely "schoolishly-minded" and could not understand strange phenomena such as combining two kids for History work. ;) With that said, I know many people who always use the county option, have a reviewer they are comfortable with and have always been fine with that option. I just got unlucky and had an undesirable reviewer and ran back to my umbrella. I would just rather pay to participate in the umbrella and have a reviewer who supports homeschooling than have the (no-cost) county option and have to "prove" that I'm a fit mother twice a year.

We've been in southwest VA for 14 years now. I've never reported anything to anyone. I called HSLDA before we moved back here and they said I could do religious exemption - only wait until asked about it, and then file the forms. I was never asked, so I never had to file any forms.

I should note that we live out in the woods and not a subdivision. That is actually one of the many reasons I wanted to live in the country.

Another note: Northern VA was a totally different story. When we lived up there, I had people from the local school system wanting to know 'where your kids are' - even though I had fulfilled all the legal requirements. I tested them for the year or 2 that we hs'ed there. But that was back in the late '80's. No idea how it is up there now.

REbel, I know a few here too ;)

Although I do think HSLDA now suggest filing RE most still don't