Menu

What is a step-up from the Walmart bookcases?

We've also gotten items from Home Decorators and are happy with them.

Do you have an IKEA close? They have a couple of options that are solid wood (we don't buy fiberboard furniture) and I'm VERY pleased with them and the price was good. The two styles we have are the Markor and the Leksvik. They might have other solid wood styles, you can check it out on their website: www.ikea.com

We've also gotten items from Home Decorators and are happy with them.

Do you have an IKEA close? They have a couple of options that are solid wood (we don't buy fiberboard furniture) and I'm VERY pleased with them and the price was good. The two styles we have are the Markor and the Leksvik. They might have other solid wood styles, you can check it out on their website: www.ikea.com

:iagree: We don't buy fiberboard either. Unpainted furniture stores are a good source for bookcases, too.

I agree with Dinsfamily about the IKEA bookcases. We have six of them that are still in perfect shape after eleven years. They are quite sturdy. One thought, though, is for you to try the for sale ads in your paper or go check out your local craigslist.org. We actually found our first two IKEA bookcases through our local paper for next to nothing and you can find some good wood furniture on craigslist.org.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites.html

I love my Ikea book cases. They are very sturdy. Not all the shelves are wood, the adjustable are and the non adjustable aren't (or vise-versa :confused:)

They do not have a ding in them after two years. This is an old picture, I have at least twice the amount of books on it now and it stands up beautifully.

DSCN1027-1.jpg

Jessica, have you looked at Target? They usually have some high quality products. I also bought a vertical storage from Home Depot that is rubbermaid, but looks like wood. It's been a great storage for me. Now, can dh build things? My dh built me some wonderful horizontal book shelves last year that hold EVERYTHING. It was very inexpensive, and they are beautiful! Just some thoughts!:D

I love my Ikea book cases. They are very sturdy. Not all the shelves are wood, the adjustable are and the non adjustable aren't (or vise-versa :confused:)

They do not have a ding in them after two years. This is an old picture, I have at least twice the amount of books on it now and it stands up beautifully.

DSCN1027-1.jpg

Drooling over your bookcases, they are lovely!

Well...mine were from WM, Big Lots, Office Depot, &...I think Montgomery Wards? Anyway, they were *at least* 15 yrs old, had moved w/ my mom maybe 4 times (incl to & from Denver) before she gave them to us & we moved them 5ish times (not incl rearranging furniture).

Did they look nice after all that? Not really, but they were functional. My point--other than that they *can* last--is that the build-em-yourself (throwaway) bookshelves are pretty much all the same, ime. Might as well buy them cheap unless you can actually buy nice ones--wood or something heavy. We're not quite to the point that I know about that yet, though. lol

If you *do* decide to go cheap, Big Lots has the best prices I've seen in a yr or so, & they periodically put these on sale. If you've got a small space (like we do), the white ones do WONDERS to brighten it up & make it feel a little bigger.

Im fourthing or fifthing IKEA (I lost count). That is, if you live near one. I once knew a lady who based her relocation on whether or not there was an IKEA in the city. Im so clueless, I never even knew it existed until 3 years ago!

I dont have the fancy bookcases like Karenciavo (and, yes, I am jealous of that gorgeous setup) but I have never paid more than $20 for a bookcase there! The FLÄRKE is their cheap model. It doesnt have a functional back, just a flimsy cardboard thing that I dont even use, but it makes up for it in its ability to take punishment and still be super-cheap!

Not only that, but they have the scratch-n-dent section at the the end of the store where I have gotten some very sturdy bookcases.

I think nearly ALL of my other ones have come from garage sales. Which is interesting, because I never even scope out garage sales when driving past, Im not sure how that happened!

Ihave a smaller one from Target that is holding up very nicely to the stacks of fantasy books piled on it. My hubby just got a Leksvik from Ikea, and it is AWESOME! And feels very sturdy. He teased me that it was going to be full in two days. I argued this point, but shouldn't have. It was filled in one.;)

From Ikea I found that the Billy bookcases really held up well! And believe me we load ours up-bookcases are for books and not just decoration around here.:D Remember, at Ikea the color can change the price.

I also love my kits from Lowes-they have held up very well to and you can paint or stain to match as needed. I can't find them on the website but maybe that is because they won't do no local delivery on something so heavy. They are not press board and look beautiful when finished. You can buy doors for the lower half as a separate kit.

DSCN1027-1.jpg

LOVE THOSE! Ohhh....maybe in the future. :)

I was going to suggest trying IKEA if you have one near you, Jessica. Their stuff is sturdy, easy to put together and very reasonably priced. We have tables, chairs, a DVD tower and wall mount book shelves from there and love them.

We purchased a double bookcase from KMart about 4 years ago that stood up to a cross country move pretty well with a few chips and dings (remember though a double bookcase has short shelves so they are stronger). We have an office depot bookcase that has really thick shelves, even though it is not solid wood, that travels well. However, for the money and if you move a lot like us (every 2-3 years, sometimes more), the solid bookcase from an Unfinished furniture store which have been finished is the way to go. They are usually around $160 for the six foot or greater bookcase and some have lasted over 10 years for us without any chips or problems even with all of the moving. The shelves are movable, except for one and you could refinish them if they became damaged. Only downside is they are not as cute and trendy as those beautiful from IKEA, but they are very functional and last a long time.

We've had them for many years, so I can't speak to how sturdy the ones Sam's carries now are, but these are great. They are 6' high by 4' wide double bookcases The backs are the only part that are pressboard. You'd have to go to a Sam's to see what's in stock - they have lots more online that don't look as sturdy.

From Ikea I found that the Billy bookcases really held up well! And believe me we load ours up-bookcases are for books and not just decoration around here.

:iagree:

Those are the ones we have. They are very nice; although, they don't come in as many wood finishes as they used to (I have cherry and walnut). Still, they are much better than Wal-Mart, etc. bookcases. Much, much better, in my opinion. We have our books double-stacked sideways and have never had any problems with warping, etc.

DSCN1027-1.jpg

I want your shelves! OH my gosh I love them.

We recently got about 9 of the Ikea Billy bookcases and love them. One thing I like is the different widths/configurations/accessories for them, we got some 15" and some 30" and combined them to have a whole wall of bookcases in each room. You can also buy extra shelves, doors, I think even glass doors, height extenders, corner units, etc. for them.

Wowsers, I can't get anything from Ikea. I tried two Billy bookcases and the shipping was $238!!!

I went to an unfinished wood place and for 36x84, 6 shelf bookcase is $286. Ouch. I need two and if I get these, I'll be able to buy more of the same later as well as put them side by side if I want. After checking prices online, it seems to be very reasonable.