Menu

Swim suit vent

Dear clothing designers,

Just because I am thin and can fit into your dinky little swim suits doesn't mean I *want* to. There are thin people that exist that would like to have suits that actually cover their body parts. I do not want to walk around with half my rear hanging out.

Why are one piece suits never in smaller sizes? Again, there are people who wear smaller than a size 2 that would like to buy a one piece suit. Not everyone wants to wear a two piece, and never have the option of a one piece.

:glare:

Are Speedo suits any better for you? Our local sporting goods store carries a "serious swimmers and life guard" section. I am not smaller than a 2, but I would guess many of the teenage life guards are. The speedo suit I did get was cut very conservatively around the leg (YAY--I hate high cut legs), had good support, but looks sporty and not frumpy.

Otherwise, there have been many recent complaints on here about just who clothing designers don't design for. I was involved in one. So, I think they just don't design for real people.

ETA--Local store is not really correct. It's a chain store...Academy. It has a huge section of typical suits, but a smaller section of the functional ones.

Edited by snickelfritz

Are you looking for a suit to swim in, or one to go to the beach/sit by the pool? I've bought suits from that swimoutlet website (can't remember the exact name) that are one piece but they are for swimming. Good luck. :tongue_smilie:

Are you looking for a suit to swim in, or one to go to the beach/sit by the pool? I've bought suits from that swimoutlet website (can't remember the exact name) that are one piece but they are for swimming. Good luck. :tongue_smilie:

Both. However, I'm not a lap swimmer by any means. I do though get in the water to swim and play with my boys.

Or Land's End?

Don't get me started on Land's End. They do not have one piece suits in my size. When I asked their customer service what suits they had in my size they sent me to their Canvas site which is all teeny suits just like everywhere else.

I wear bike rider spandex pants under my suit, partly to keep my rather large rear covered enough for common decency, and partly because I've had skin cancer and like to cover up more outside anyway. I think it is pathetic that I can't find a decent suit that covers what an average woman would prefer to keep out of public view especially in a swimming situation around a lot of children.

Dear swimsuit designers: The other moms and kids at the local public pool do not want to see my butt cheeks or my cleavage. I'm not planning on taking a romantic cruise with my husband anytime soon, so please design a suit I can wear around other moms and kids. Thank you.

P.S. That bikini waxing thing? It ain't gonna happen in this lifetime. Please design said suit taking that into account.

Have you tried these?

http://downeastbasics.com/downeastswim.aspx

They have what I consider modest tankinis (my preference) and 1 pieces in very small sizes. I am 5'2 and 90lbs and I could not fit the one I ordered last year over my thighs!! I read that it ran small, but I've seen that before and thought it would mean that it would fit instead of being too big. No. They run very small. I got it in a larger size and I really like it. I picked a tankini top and swim skirt and it is very pretty, covers me well, and seems to be made nicely. They are also fairly inexpensive.

Check out http://www.limericki.com. They have 1 pieces and long tankinis all modestly cut. They run quite small so you shouldn't have trouble finding your size if there's something you like. The size chart was right on for me.

Some of my favorites are the boys short bottoms (cut longer so they are flattering) and the skirt bottoms. So cute! It is a small line so you might not like the styles but worth checking out. I now have four suits I'm comfortable in thanks to them!

I'm with you on not wanting to show all of my assets at the pool!!

Academy carries a brand called Uglies, and they are adorable one piece suits that will probably fit you. My dd wears a 16 in girls, and she can wear the small women's in Uglies. They cover the rear well and nothing shows up top either. They are for swim team type swimmers, not the show off your body swimmers, but they are still cute.

I agree with there being very little out there for the small sizes. I took dd13 shopping last week for a suit. She wears a size 3 in jeans, has skinny thighs and not much on top. We found ONE suit that fit her right and was cute (and she was not being super picky). One. We live in a largish city...we have many, many stores to choose from. There were a few styles that she liked, but no smalls. 15 mediums and larges in the same style, but not a single small.:glare:

Had she wanted a bikini, she would have had no problem. But she prefers a tankini and boy shorts. UHGH! Sooooo very hard to find no days. Luckily the one top that we found, was an item that is sold seperate from the bottoms. We ended up with two different brands but found something that would work for her.

We had tried LE before, but the legs are too big for her thin thighs.

Check out www.limericki.com. They have 1 pieces and long tankinis all modestly cut. They run quite small so you shouldn't have trouble finding your size if there's something you like. The size chart was right on for me.

Some of my favorites are the boys short bottoms (cut longer so they are flattering) and the skirt bottoms. So cute! It is a small line so you might not like the styles but worth checking out. I now have four suits I'm comfortable in thanks to them!

I'm with you on not wanting to show all of my assets at the pool!!

those are adorable!

Dear Swimsuit Designers,

Just because a woman is petite does NOT automatically mean that she has a "boyish" figure. Some women who are short and not overweight still have curves. Please offer supportive swimsuits in smaller sizes- a shelf bra seriously isn't going to cut it.

Signed,

Hourglasses Come in All Sizes

Dear Swimsuit Designers,

Just because a woman is petite does NOT automatically mean that she has a "boyish" figure. Some women who are short and not overweight still have curves. Please offer supportive swimsuits in smaller sizes- a shelf bra seriously isn't going to cut it.

Signed,

Hourglasses Come in All Sizes

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Try junior suits. Also, google modest swim suits. There are LDS, Muslim, and Jewish sites which cater towards more modest swim wear.

LimeRicki.com has a good reputation.

I've heard good things about Hapari.com They even have x-small--and suits seem reasonable to me. ($50 for some.)

I ordered a tankini and coordinating bottom from Shade clothing this year. They fit well. The top covers the girls all the way, no cleavage (my girls are smaller though so YMMV). The bottom rides higher than I am used to but that was the reason I bought it in the first place -- my little ones always kick in the water and kick my bottom down! It sits under the belly button still and the cut isn't too high on the leg.

For reference, I am 5'3" and 96 lbs.