Menu

Your Favorite Books for People Interested in Possibly Homeschooling

I recently had lunch with a friend who is just now considering the possibility of homeschooling her (only 2!) year old son. Public schools are bad in the area, and, not surprisingly, private schools are expensive.

What books would you recommend for someone who is just beginning to explore/discover the possibility of homeschooling? As we were lunching, I realized that I've never read any "intro to" books, because I've been surrounded by homeschool families since early elementary and many aspects of the community have been familiar to me for a long time.

Of course, I'm recommending WTM, but I think it can be information overload. So what do you all recommend for getting a handle on different philosophies, etc.?

And the Skylark Sings with Me is one of the most inspirational books about homeschooling that I know of.

The Underground History of American Public Education is very convincing. After reading it, I would no more have put my child in school under grade 4 than fly. It's very wordy, though, and I'm not sure that I would recommend it.

Family Matters is a lovely, well-argued book by a famous author, very well-written and convincing.

Once they are seriously considering it, Homeschooling: A Patchwork of Days is entertaining and also very helpful in demonstrating what homeschooling can actually look like in practice, from a variety of perspectives. I found it nice to help picture doing it, as opposed to wanting to do it but having no idea how to go about it.

TWTM is kind of overwhelming at first. I regard it as a much more helpful book once you're committed, but more intimidating than helpful in making the decision to start.

TWTM is kind of overwhelming at first. I regard it as a much more helpful book once you're committed, but more intimidating than helpful in making the decision to start.

:iagree:

I also didn't start collecting homeschooling books until I had pretty much made up my mind. How about recommending blogs of parents homeschooling young preschoolers. Seeing homeschooling from the trenches, so to speak, really hoped me realize it was possible it was. It might help her see how attainable homeschooling can be. In my blog I chronicle our homeschooling adventures with a 5,3, and 2 year old. I haven't blogged about as many things to do with my youngest though as we really just read together.

But I know there are plenty of Montessori based blogs for pre-k. Maybe something like that would pique her interest???

Family Matters is a lovely, well-argued book by a famous author, very well-written and convincing.

It's by David Guterson, the author of Snow Falling on Cedars.

I really enjoyed it when we were making the decision to homeschool.

Maybe not a popular person or author, but I liked So You're Thinking About Homeschooling by Lisa Whelchel. The portrayals of 15 different families using different methods of how of homeschool was helpful. There is not a one size fits all box.

I know there are issues with her discipline techniques. I never read that book by her and at this point never will. If you give this title, maybe also comment that you don't agree with her other books. (Unless of course you do!) So this is a book recommendation, not an author recommendation.

Maybe not a popular person or author, but I liked So You're Thinking About Homeschooling by Lisa Whelchel. The portrayals of 15 different families using different methods of how of homeschool was helpful. There is not a one size fits all box.

:iagree: I like this book as a general intro to homeschooling.

(And I also haven't read her discipline books.)

To read right now, I'd recommend The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease.

Then Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School by Rebecca Rupp.

A copy of the Rainbow Resource catalog if you truly want to let her know what is out there.

Plus 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum: Choosing the Right Curriculum and Approach for Your Child's Learning Style by Cathy Duffy.

Regards,

Kareni

I think it's really personal taste when it comes to memoirs and some individual philosophies. Several of the books suggested here were books I really disliked.

Something nuts and bolts like the Rebecca Rupp books is useful and safe, I think. And if you gave TWTM, something like The Unschooling Handbook, which is very basic and friendly might be in order - or maybe something a little newer and more eclectic than unschooly like Free Range Learning. But, again, I think it's very individual.

Homeschooling Methods:Seasoned Advice on Learning Styles sounds like what you're looking for. It talks about the basics of homeschooling and also has a chapter on each style of homeschooling- Charlotte Mason, Classical, unit studies, etc.- written by someone "known" for that style - like Catherine Levinson for CM, Jessica Hulcy and Jennifer Steward for unit studies, and so on. I think it is helpful to a new (or someone considering hs) homeschooler to at least be able to have an idea what a person is talking about when they hear the words "Charlotte Mason" or "classical education" thrown about.

I also like it because it seems to be one of the most recent books about homeschooling available. Everything is so readily available on the internet nowadays that it is hard to find new books about h'schooling. hth

Edited by Mothersweets

Unless they're very anti anything Christian, the Clarksons' Educating the Wholehearted Child is such a great book. I always just tell people new to homeschooling to read anything they can get their hands on, until they find themselves being drawn to certain things over others; at that point, they can delve more into specifics like TWTM or Charlotte Mason or whatever.

I second the recommendation of "So, You're Thinking About Homeschooling" by Lisa Whelchel.

I also recommend "The Big Book of Home Learning-Getting Started" by Mary Pride. She also has "The Big Book of Home Learning-Preschool and Elementary" They are older books, but give a good overview of homeschooling styles and different curriculums that are out there.

Mary Pride does have a newer book called "The Complete Guide to Getting Started in Homeschooling" It is good also, but I prefer the older books.

And the Skylark Sings with Me is one of the most inspirational books about homeschooling that I know of.

The Underground History of American Public Education is very convincing. After reading it, I would no more have put my child in school under grade 4 than fly. It's very wordy, though, and I'm not sure that I would recommend

By the same author as the Underground History is Dumbing Us Down. It's much more accessible (very short and very convincing) for someone who's just beginning to explore HSing.

I also second the Cathy Duffy book mentioned above.