Menu

need recipes that use a lot of eggs

Angel food cake uses a dozen egg whites at a time. The cake freezes nicely.

We make breakfast casseroles (sausage, potatoes, etc.) that has a dozen eggs mixed and poured over the top of it. (9x13 pan) Breakfast burritoes operate off of the same concept. Each can be pre-made and frozen. ;)

Blueberry buckle cakes use 8 eggs to fill two pie plates. Blueberries are in season now. They make a nice tea time snack or a nice breakfast.

Lucky you!

Baked oven pancakes or French toast. Frittata and quiche. I've also heard that you can actually freeze eggs. Might be worth checking out. They will last quite awhile in your fridge, too. A month, maybe a little more. Don't wash them if they're farm fresh.

You can make quiche "mix".... Just mix it up and freeze it. (Use a Foodsaver if you're gonna have it a long time) I also so where someone did Pancake mix in ziplocks... all made up. You take it out and let it thaw in the fridge... You could also actually make Pancakes and Waffles and freeze them. Dutch Babies (German Pancakes) take a ton of eggs :) You could make a bunch of cookie dough :) Yum Tons of chocolate chip cookie dough in the freezer :) (Or sugar cookies!! :))

I've seen people on here do Egg McMuffins :) I'd be doing a whole of of "make ahead" and heat up later things :) My kids love pancakes and such... and I'm bad about making it up in the mornings ;)

Chile Relleno Casserole:

10 eggs

1 pint cottage cheese

3x 4 oz can chiles, drained

1 lb Cheddar Jack cheese

1/2 cup flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat eggs, add cheese and chiles. Stir in dry ingredients, add butter, mix. Pour into 13x9" casserole dish and bake 35 minutes.

Baked grits:

I don't have a recipe, proper, but I make 2 cups of grits and let them cook some (so you don't scramble the eggs when you mix them in). Then, I add 10 eggs, 2 cups of cheese (whatever I feel like or have), half a stick of butter, salt and a healthy dose of Louisiana Hot Sauce. I use a deep casserole dish, buttered. Bake at 375 for around 40 minutes or until browned on top.

Oh yeh... doesn't Baked Oatmeal take eggs?? :) Also, if they are farm fresh... they'll stay for weeks in a really cold fridge :) (like someone mentioned)

I love baked oatmeal:

Have you tried this baked oatmeal recipe? I love it.

• 3 cups oatmeal

• 3/4 cup brown sugar

• 1/2 cup butter

• 2 eggs

• 2 cups milk

• 1 teaspoon vanilla

• 2 teaspoons baking powder

• 1 teaspoon salt

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix all ingredients together (I soften the butter and then mix it in with the dry ingredients by hand before mixing in the wet ingredients) and pour into 13 x 9 inch buttered pan.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.

I add fresh blueberries after it is cooked.

I would make a bunch of cookie dough and freeze it. I use wax paper and make logs and store in a gallon ziplock bag and write the baking instructions on the outside.

I make breakfast sandwiches and burritos and freeze those. Dh loves it! He can microwave one before he goes to work. Its cheaper and healthier than fast food.

We often have scrambled eggs for dinner.

I also think there is a way to freeze eggs, but I have never tried it.

Popovers and cream puffs (pate a choux) use a few eggs (around 4 a recipe). My kids like eating popovers as a snack, and since they haven't been cooking with our eggs, at least that's a way to get them to eat a few. . .

I made this frittata the other night:

http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/mushroom-wild-rice-frittata-recipe

I used about 9 eggs (didn't bother with the whites) and just used some chopped up ham in it, instead of the proscuitto.

Chile Relleno Casserole:

10 eggs

1 pint cottage cheese

3x 4 oz can chiles, drained

1 lb Cheddar Jack cheese

1/2 cup flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat eggs, add cheese and chiles. Stir in dry ingredients, add butter, mix. Pour into 13x9" casserole dish and bake 35 minutes.

Baked grits:

I don't have a recipe, proper, but I make 2 cups of grits and let them cook some (so you don't scramble the eggs when you mix them in). Then, I add 10 eggs, 2 cups of cheese (whatever I feel like or have), half a stick of butter, salt and a healthy dose of Louisiana Hot Sauce. I use a deep casserole dish, buttered. Bake at 375 for around 40 minutes or until browned on top.

Thanks! I don't usually use a recipe, either, but the way I do it almost exactly like you do, only I use only 1 or 2 eggs. I'm going to try it with more.

You can freeze raw eggs if you scramble/whisk them first. Then you can thaw them out and make scrambled eggs or use them in recipes. Freezing them in usable portions (2 eggs at a time, 4 eggs at a time, etc.) will make life easier later :D

ETA: Oops, I was not quite correct above. Don't whisk them, just break the yolk and mix the yolk and white up a bit while introducing as little air as possible. Here's a good link:

http://www.georgiaeggs.org/pages/freezingeggs.html

Edited by melissel

greek cooking.

I can make a spanakopeta that uses 11 eggs.

Pas****io, which I do believe is Greek as well.

Yum, haven't made it in a while cuz it does require several steps, but so good, and a good source of protein. The nutmeg in the béchamel sauce is such a twist on the usual baked pasta dish. So good.

Wonder how I can make that more Paleo? shredded zucc instead of pasta?

I am dying to know what swear word was in the name of this dish! :bigear::lol:

Pastichio is the way I've seen it spelled, but there's also a version of the spelling using a second "t" in place of the "ch." Basically a lasagna-type dish, the recipe I have uses macaroni, bechamel sauce (with nutmeg), ground beef cooked with tomato sauce and cinnamon (as well as other seasonings---it's been a while since I've made it). I really like it, but usually wait to get it at the local Greek festival since my family doesn't tend to like beef.

For the OP, meringue cookies take a lot of egg whites, and this website http://www.fortysomething.ca/2010/04/recipes_to_use_up_extra_egg_yo.php gives ideas for using up extra egg yolks (ooh, it includes a recipe for custard-based ice cream---yum!). Also, how about egg-based breads?

Edited by KarenNC

Pastichio ...

Mmmmm, my daughter made this dish recently to share at the agape meal after church (Orthodox), and our resident Greek -- an elderly man -- said it was "better than his mother's." She took that as quite a complement! I'd never had it before. Very interesting!

Edited by milovaný

You can make quiche "mix".... Just mix it up and freeze it.

You can also scramble them up raw and freeze. In college we used to grease them with crisco to make them last longer in the fridge.

Quiche.

Custard.

Waffles which you can bake and freeze for the toaster.

I like the idea of freezing the eggs...but I have seen both where you just crack the eggs and poke the yolk and freeze them...and where you do that plus you add either salt or sugar to keep the yolks from getting rubbery. Does anybody here know anything about this?? Which way have you guys done this???

• 2 years later...
Guest olaMD

Angel food cake uses a dozen egg whites at a time. The cake freezes nicely.

We make breakfast casseroles (sausage, potatoes, etc.) that has a dozen eggs mixed and poured over the top of it. (9x13 pan) Breakfast burritoes operate off of the same concept. Each can be pre-made and frozen. ;)

Blueberry buckle cakes use 8 eggs to fill two pie plates. Blueberries are in season now. They make a nice tea time snack or a nice breakfast.

Do you have the blueberry buckle recipe?  The most eggs in a recipe I can find is 2.  

I usually make a rum bread pudding for the holidays. Bread puddings call for a lot of eggs. It would still be tasty in summer.

Breakfast egg muffins are tasty. Fried egg on Spanish rice and beans are good. 

Eggs are delicious on sub or deli style sandwiches as well.