Menu

What really is the best beach in mid to southern Florida??

We are still trying to figure out the first half of our trip. Originally we planned to fly into Orlando and go to the Keys (Islamorada maybe?) But truthfully what really want is the nicest, bluest water available in Florida. We love the southern Caribbean and don't expect to find anything that blue but we want a nice beach. (We went to Cocoa Beach once and were very disappointed in the beach.) So what really is the nicest beach in Florida if you're looking for blue water?

I lived near Sanibel Island--Gulf Coast near ft. Myers when little. I have really good memories of it.

Our family spends a lot of time at the DVC resort at Vero Beach...love the beach and the pool. Not sure if Vero would be as great without Mickey.

I grew up in Florida, so to me you have asked two different questions. 1) Where is the water the bluest? 2) Where are the nicest beaches? (Which also depends on what you are looking for, in order to determine the "nicest.")

I greatly prefer the soft, sandy Gulf coast beaches (Clearwater, Indian Rocks, Indian Shores, Madiera, St. Pete Beach) etc. The wide expanse of soft sand is ideal for walking on and playing on. Atlantic beaches tend to be more narrow, hard and full of broken shells (IMO).

If you want waves for body surfing, you need to be on the Atlantic coast of Florida. While the Gulf has waves at times, it may also be pancake flat. Storms out in the Gulf greatly effect the wave size. The Atlantic is going to have much bigger and/or rougher waves than the Gulf. If you are wanting to have any chance to actually surf, you need to be on the Atlantic coast.

If you want to watch the sun drop over the horizon as it shines on the water and colors light up the sky in a spectacular sunset, Gulf coast wins. I have never been interested in getting up extra early for a sunrise. To me, vacation is the time for sleeping in.

Water on either coast is not very blue unless you are down towards the keys. If there is a storm, however, do not expect blue water even in the keys.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Edited by Education Explorers

Disclaimer: I'm no expert, as most of FL beach experience is limited to northeast coast/Jax beaches (I do think I can definitively say to stay away from the east coast beaches unless you are at the southern tip of the state). BUT we did take a mini-vacation to the Gulf coast a couple years ago. We stayed just south of Clearwater (I believe the actual town was Indian Shores, but the little towns between Clearwater and St. Pete seem to be so little--a couple blocks and you're on to the next town--I can't remember for sure). I wouldn't say the water was blue, but it was warm, clear, and turqouise and the beaches were lovely. We got a good deal on a suite at a cute little boutique hotel during the off-season, right after memorial day. It was a bit more crowded toward Clearwater, but where we were staying was really quiet and laid-back. We visited the Clearwater Marine Museum (where Winter, the dolphin with the prosthetic tail that I believe is in a movie now?? lives--this was pre-movie, though) one day, and another day we drove into Tampa, about 40 minutes away if I remember correctly, to go to the Tampa Zoo. All in all, it was a great place to vacation and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I love Naples. I grew up in Southeast Florida, but used to take road trips to the gulf coast because the beaches were so much nicer. Oh and the keys don't really have true beaches. Unless you stay at a fancy pants resort where they've dredged them or fight the college kids at Islamorada.

Siesta Key is voted best beach in America for 2 years now, I believe. Was it the Newsweek poll?

Longboat Key is an island just north of Siesta and is my personal favorite because it is deserted most of the time. Either of these beaches has a gazillion things to do within 20 minutes.

:)

We went to Anna Maria Island (south of Tampa) a couple summers ago. The sand was white and the water was BLUE!!!! Best of all - it was quiet! We were often the only people there. Here's a picture:

37827_1457157862487_1039581414_1333469_2634749_n.jpg

That's dd - but look at the color of that water. Absolutely gorgeous!

38399_1457158702508_1039581414_1333477_2817031_n.jpg

There was a storm threatening, but this was how the beach looked nearly every day. Empty!!!!

Siesta Key is voted best beach in America for 2 years now, I believe. Was it the Newsweek poll?

Longboat Key is an island just north of Siesta and is my personal favorite because it is deserted most of the time. Either of these beaches has a gazillion things to do within 20 minutes.

Wanted to clarify that Siesta and Longboat are islands off the west coast and not part of the southern chain of islands most people think of when they refer to the Florida Keys.

I vote for a gulf coast beach. I live on the Atlantic side and the sand is :ack2: It's mostly coarsly ground seashells and the water's pretty murky.

We went to St Pete beach once and I was just amazed at the sand--it was almost like baby powder.

We went to Anna Maria Island (south of Tampa) a couple summers ago. The sand was white and the water was BLUE!!!! Best of all - it was quiet! We were often the only people there. Here's a picture:

Wow! It looks beautiful there. Now I know where I want to go on vacation next summer. :D

I have spent many years on the gulf side of FL over a range of 30 years and I personally think that generally speaking the farther south you go the nicer the beaches get. Some that I have really liked are Clearwater, Ft. Myers, Sanibel and Naples. The first two are very family friendly but very touristy and busy in the summer. The others are also busy in the summers but less crowded and crazy.

I live in the area and my personal favorite is Caladesi Island near Clearwater. It is tradition (for us) to go to Strachan's for ice cream after as well ;) and there are tons of awesome seafood places around if that strikes your fancy.

I live in SW Florida. I have lived on the east coast of FL and also vacationed in Cocoa Beach. The beaches of SW FL are THE BEST! My favorites have been mentioned, Sanibel/Captiva and Naples. Marco Island is the only one not on the list that I think you should consider. Beautiful beaches and more room than Sanibel.

I just got back from the Destin beach area. Just stunning!

Here are some pics!

Ooops! Sorry, I didn't read your title well enough. Destin is northeast.

post-50054-13535086628157_thumb.jpg

post-50054-13535086628583_thumb.jpg

post-50054-13535086628157_thumb.jpg

post-50054-13535086628583_thumb.jpg

Edited by Juniper

I've lived on the east coast of Florida and frequented its beaches for over 40 years. I prefer the Gulf side, especially the western Panhandle (Destin, Ft. Walton, etc.) Second choice would be the southern west coast (the Sanibel area). Unless, as a PP said, you want waves.

I don't think you'd hate east coast beaches, but they're not very pretty and the sand is harsh. Still, it's the beach. :D

37827_1457157862487_1039581414_1333469_2634749_n.jpg

That's dd - but look at the color of that water. Absolutely gorgeous!

38399_1457158702508_1039581414_1333477_2817031_n.jpg

There was a storm threatening, but this was how the beach looked nearly every day. Empty!!!!

I also loved Anna Maria Island! We plan on going back next Feb! These are cut pics by the way.

Can I vote for northwest florida even though you didn't ask for that? Sorry, I'm partial to my area. :) I love the Gulf Coast. I'm not a beach person, but the sand and water are beautiful. I drove into Destin today and it was a beautiful emerald green... But seriously, my sister and her family vacation in the Tampa area a few times a year and the pictures are always beautiful. You could probably pick any spot on the coast and it would be a wonderful vacation. I think the closer you get to big cities (Miami, Tampa) the more crowded the beaches will be.

I'm a born and raised Florida girl and I can definitely say that beaches on the Atlantic side are not great. Clearwater is my favorite that I've been to so far. There were no waves and the water was clear and blue. I NEVER go past my knees into the water on the Atlantic side due to rip currents and critters that you cannot see beneath the murky water. But in Clearwater it was so nice to actually SWIM in the ocean! No waves mean no rip currents. We could see fish in the clear water. Manatees swam about 15 feet away from us. We caught tiny puffer fish in buckets. We wore goggles and looked underwater....we couldn't do that on the Atlantic side! It was really nice!

Another vote for Siesta Key with the white sand beach and turquoise waters. Unless they've dredged and resanded the beaches since I've been there, Longboat Key had very shell-y beaches. Took my feet a while to get used to them. Great place if you like to catch shells, though.