Menu

Calling all homemade vanilla makers

Here's your friendly reminder to get your batches going if you want to give homemade vanilla for Christmas. Six months is the optimal time for letting the vanilla beans soak for a really delicious batch.

This is my third year making it and I can't ever go back to buying in the stores. I just finished putting up five bottles, made with Vodka and about 8-10 cut up beans in each bottle. For the last two years I've been buying my beans here and getting the half pound because I share them with my sister. I've been very pleased with the quality and they qualify for Prime shipping. :hurray:

Edited by Paintedlady

Can you share the recipe, and how you package it/decorate for gift giving?

Thanks!

It's very simple--just buy bottles of vodka, any will do, doesn't need to be expensive. I buy them when they go on sale and use coupons & rebates to get it as cheap as possible. Then order the beans, cut them into 1" or less size pieces and put them in the vodka for six months or so. Shake or turn the bottles every so often and keep in a dark place. That's it. You can then strain out the beans, or leave them in if you like, and put into small bottles. There are a variety of different choices, depending on how big of a bottle you want to give. I can try to look up some links tomorrow (heading to bed now). hth!

I started mine on Boxing Day! (Just in case I ever had the opportunity to boast about it, of course.) I tried to use some last week but it wasn't much good yet so I had to buy a bottle to tide me over. I did have a bottle to tide me over, but dd poured it into the soy sauce bottle with some red wine vinegar :ack2:

Rosie

I started mine on Boxing Day! (Just in case I ever had the opportunity to boast about it, of course.) I tried to use some last week but it wasn't much good yet so I had to buy a bottle to tide me over. I did have a bottle to tide me over, but dd poured it into the soy sauce bottle with some red wine vinegar :ack2:

Rosie

I have no idea what Boxing Day is, but good for you for getting it started early! Sorry about your bottle--I would not be happy. :glare:

My rec. is pretty much the same, but I leave the beans whole and just scrape them vs. cutting. We later use them to make French-vanilla ice cream.:001_smile:

It's very simple--just buy bottles of vodka, any will do, doesn't need to be expensive. I buy them when they go on sale and use coupons & rebates to get it as cheap as possible. Then order the beans, cut them into 1" or less size pieces and put them in the vodka for six months or so. Shake or turn the bottles every so often and keep in a dark place. That's it. You can then strain out the beans, or leave them in if you like, and put into small bottles. There are a variety of different choices, depending on how big of a bottle you want to give. I can try to look up some links tomorrow (heading to bed now). hth!

Here's your friendly reminder to get your batches going if you want to give homemade vanilla for Christmas. Six months is the optimal time for letting the vanilla beans soak for a really delicious batch.

This is my third year making it and I can't ever go back to buying in the stores. I just finished putting up five bottles, made with Vodka and about 8-10 cut up beans in each bottle. For the last two years I've been buying my beans here and getting the half pound because I share them with my sister. I've been very pleased with the quality and they qualify for Prime shipping. :hurray:

Must you use vodka? Is there another recipe not calling for it?

I'm not an experienced vanilla-maker, but in my first batch that I started a few months ago, I made one bottle with vanilla, cinnamon, and cloves. It smells awesome, and I think I'm going to make more and give it to people as Christmas Extract.

Well I've seen recipes using bourbon and other liquors, but for me Vokda is cheap and relatively tasteless, and because it's used in such small amounts I don't worry about the alcohol content.

If you're wanting non-alcolohic options, I'd have to look into that.

I'm not an experienced vanilla-maker, but in my first batch that I started a few months ago, I made one bottle with vanilla, cinnamon, and cloves. It smells awesome, and I think I'm going to make more and give it to people as Christmas Extract.

Ooh, love this idea! I think I'll have to make one of my bottles like that to try it. Sounds wonderful!

I've been using rum the last few batches here. I wanted to avoid anything grain based, although I know it is supposed to be fine. I couldn't find any potato distilled vodka here as well. I just started a new batch here but I just make it for myself. My friends make their own and dh's family aren't much of cooks, although his aunt might appreciate some, I'll have to think on that, thanks for the reminder.

Well I've seen recipes using bourbon and other liquors, but for me Vokda is cheap and relatively tasteless, and because it's used in such small amounts I don't worry about the alcohol content.

If anyone can find a non-alcoholic way to make it I'd be very grateful - we don't do any alcohol anymore for religious reasons, and I am missing my vanilla!

I've had a bottle of bourbon-based vanilla "brewing" since I made my first-ever real vanilla bean wedding cake last New Year's Eve and didn't want to waste the pods.

I've thrown some chopped whole ones into the bottle, too, and every time I use a bean, I put the scraped pod in the bottle. Every few days I give it a vigorous shake.

Five months later, the bourbon smell is still stronger than the vanilla scent, but I still add a teaspoon of it to most of my recipes because it adds a great depth of flavor!

I hope that by the holidays, it'll be just where I want it!

I put together my vodka and beans about 6 weeks ago. (This is my first vanilla-making attempt.) I just checked it and was surprised that the bean is really leaving lots of little floating pcs. I hadn't expected this. Are you supposed to strain it? Is it normal for the bean to dissentigrate a bit?

So, if you were going to buy a couple of big bottles of el cheapo vodka, how many vanilla beans would you add to each? I'm thinking those are about $6-8 here. And the 1/4 lb of beans in the link you listed was $17. Would that be enough for 2 big bottles? That would make a LOT of vanilla. Then I could make it into smaller bottles for gifts and get as many as 10 gifts. What a WONDERFUL teacher gifts for my kids co-op, and some friends. I am loving this idea!

If anyone can find a non-alcoholic way to make it I'd be very grateful - we don't dio any alcohol anymore for religious reasons, and I am missing my vanilla!

I haven't had a chance to sit down and look up any recipes yet, but I was shopping at Trader Joe's today and noticed they had two different kinds of vanilla--one is bourbon, and the other said alcohol free. Not sure if it was pure vanilla or not, but at Trader Joe's I'm assuming it was. Maybe you could check it out.

I've had a bottle of bourbon-based vanilla "brewing" since I made my first-ever real vanilla bean wedding cake last New Year's Eve and didn't want to waste the pods.

I've thrown some chopped whole ones into the bottle, too, and every time I use a bean, I put the scraped pod in the bottle. Every few days I give it a vigorous shake.

Five months later, the bourbon smell is still stronger than the vanilla scent, but I still add a teaspoon of it to most of my recipes because it adds a great depth of flavor!

I hope that by the holidays, it'll be just where I want it!

I've heard the bourbon flavor is heavenly with the vanilla, but I'm cheap so I buy the vodka. I may just break down a buy a bottle for something a little different.

I have a package that I bought on a whim, it has 2 bean pods in it. How much vodka would you add them too?

Thanks

Well generally you'd need about 3 beans per cup, so a little less than that. You can make it stronger or weaker depending on how many beans you add. Personally I think you should buy yourself a few more beans. ;)

I put together my vodka and beans about 6 weeks ago. (This is my first vanilla-making attempt.) I just checked it and was surprised that the bean is really leaving lots of little floating pcs. I hadn't expected this. Are you supposed to strain it? Is it normal for the bean to dissentigrate a bit?

Yes, in my experience the little beans inside the bean (does that make sense?) will float around. Doesn't bother me but you can strain it if you like.

So, if you were going to buy a couple of big bottles of el cheapo vodka, how many vanilla beans would you add to each? I'm thinking those are about $6-8 here. And the 1/4 lb of beans in the link you listed was $17. Would that be enough for 2 big bottles? That would make a LOT of vanilla. Then I could make it into smaller bottles for gifts and get as many as 10 gifts. What a WONDERFUL teacher gifts for my kids co-op, and some friends. I am loving this idea!

Yes, I think that would be enough for 2 bottles. I generally use 8-10 beans per bottle but I like mine strong.

I haven't had a chance to sit down and look up any recipes yet, but I was shopping at Trader Joe's today and noticed they had two different kinds of vanilla--one is bourbon, and the other said alcohol free. Not sure if it was pure vanilla or not, but at Trader Joe's I'm assuming it was. Maybe you could check it out.

We don't have a Trader Joes here - I wonder if Whole Foods or Central Market might have it?

I may just have to make a trip across town to one of the specialty stores that deals with halal / kosher and see if they have it.

Carrie,

This is soooo interesting to me. I never thought that one could make homemade vanilla...it never crossed my mind.

I did a wee bit of research and found that vodka is the preferred choice, but, as you said, bourbon can be used.

After I read your post, I went upstairs to the frig and sure enough on my vanilla bottle label it lists alcohol.

You mentioned it takes a tiny bit. How much vodka do you use? I saw one recipe that calls for 750 ml which is about 3 cups. When I use red wine in my beef burgundy a couple of times a year, it burns off. The alcohol content in this wouldn't burn...is it safe? And, why wouldn't people get a buzz? I don't want this to effect my dd the wrong way.

Any insight would be appreciated as I'm very interested in this.

This sounds really cool! Can you give us an idea of how much cinnamon & cloves you used? What have you used this extract in?:bigear:

You mentioned it takes a tiny bit. How much vodka do you use? I saw one recipe that calls for 750 ml which is about 3 cups. When I use red wine in my beef burgundy a couple of times a year, it burns off. The alcohol content in this wouldn't burn...is it safe? And, why wouldn't people get a buzz? I don't want this to effect my dd the wrong way.

It would take a sensitive person to get a buzz from their share of the teaspoon of vanilla essence used in the cookie recipe. If you're getting buzzes from cookies, it is the sugar high, not the alcohol. ;)

750ml of vodka makes 750ml of vanilla essence. If you use it all in one go, you people are eating too many cookies. :p

Rosie

It would take a sensitive person to get a buzz from their share of the teaspoon of vanilla essence used in the cookie recipe. If you're getting buzzes from cookies, it is the sugar high, not the alcohol. ;)

750ml of vodka makes 750ml of vanilla essence. If you use it all in one go, you people are eating too many cookies. :p

Rosie

:iagree: Exactly, even if you were to use a tablespoon of vanilla in a cake or a batch of cookies, once you devided it by how many pieces of cake or how many cookies, the amount of alcohol would be miniscule. We use it in our oatmeal, icings, baked goods, etc... and it's never been an issue for any of us, and I hardly ever drink, so it's not because I'm not sensitive to it.

Rosie

Rosie, Love ya for that.....I laughed out loud at your reply to me. :lol: I don't think I've ever done that re: wtm forums.

Would you kindly fork over your recipe then? Or should I say spoon over. :tongue_smilie:

Sure, that makes sense. Just a bite of dessert...not downing an ocean of cookies. Then again.......no, can't go there, I'm trying to lose weight.

Will check back for your recipe!

Would you kindly fork over your recipe then? Or should I say spoon over. :tongue_smilie:

Sure, that makes sense. Just a bite of dessert...not downing an ocean of cookies. Then again.......no, can't go there, I'm trying to lose weight.

I make my vanilla the same way everyone else around here does. This is where I got the recipe after all! I think I split about 8 beans and poked them into a bottle of vodka. That's all!

I don't make bikkies, so I have no recipes for that and you're on a diet anyway. So, what I can do for you is share the raw vegan truffle recipes I found online somewhere. Raw vegan has to mean they are healthy, doesn't it!

Goji Berry Chocolate Balls

• 1/4 cup of goji berries (or any old dried, but not glace berry)

• 1/4 cup of raw almonds

• 1/4 cup of raw macadamia nuts (or some other nut)

• 3 tablespoons of chia seeds (if you have some around)

• 4 tablespoons of raw cacao powder

• 2 tablespoons of cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil

• Hemp seeds, shredded coconut (unsweetened), and or sesame seeds (to cover the balls)

• 1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Directions:

1. Place goji berries, chia seeds, almonds, and macadamia nuts in the food processor.

2. Blend for a few minutes.

3. Then, add coconut oil, vanilla, and raw cacao into the food processor.

4. Blend for 2 minutes

5. Shape them into little balls.

6. Roll them in hemp seeds, shredded coconut, and or sesame seeds.

American tastes generally run sweeter than mine, so you might want to add a couple of dates or perhaps some agave or maple syrup.

I'm going to try this recipe today, now my mint has perked up:

Raw Vanilla Mint Squares

1 cup sunflower seeds

1 cup cashews

1 1/4 cup dates

1 tablespoon vanilla

1 tiny pinch sea salt (half the size of a normal pinch!)

35 fresh mint leaves

1. Place sunflower seeds in food processor. Process into a fine meal, might be slightly grainy.

2. Add cashews and continue to process into a fine meal.

3. Add dates a few at a time and continue processing until the dates are well processed and the mixture resembles a coarse cookie dough. You should barely be able to recognize the dates or seeds/nuts, everything should look small and crumbly.

4. Add the vanilla, fresh mint and a tiny pinch of salt. Process again until mint is well distributed and fine. It should still resemble slightly crumbly cookie dough and the mixture should stick together when you pinch it between your fingers.

5. Dump mixture into a square glass pan or a pie plate or brownie dish.

1. With clean hands. press mixture down into pan so that mixture will stick together and will resemble brownies or squares. You should be able to cut this with a knife and they stick together very nicely. Eat right away and store leftovers in refrigerator.

Mint = green leafy = very healthy :p

:)

Rosie

This sounds really cool! Can you give us an idea of how much cinnamon & cloves you used? What have you used this extract in?:bigear:

It's a 5 ounce jar, and it looks like I used one cinnamon stick and about 5 whole cloves. I haven't tried it in anything (it's not really mature yet - I tried a little straight, and the alcohol flavor is still very noticeable, though I used cheap vodka so perhaps that won't change), but it smells like it would taste good in something like sugar cookies, ice cream, or white cake where the flavor wouldn't be overwhelmed by something else. Or coffee.

I saw the idea of adding whole spices elsewhere, so it's a tested idea, not a random experiment.

I make my vanilla the same way everyone else around here does. This is where I got the recipe after all! I think I split about 8 beans and poked them into a bottle of vodka. That's all!

I don't make bikkies, so I have no recipes for that and you're on a diet anyway. So, what I can do for you is share the raw vegan truffle recipes I found online somewhere. Raw vegan has to mean they are healthy, doesn't it!

Goji Berry Chocolate Balls

• 1/4 cup of goji berries (or any old dried, but not glace berry)

• 1/4 cup of raw almonds

• 1/4 cup of raw macadamia nuts (or some other nut)

• 3 tablespoons of chia seeds (if you have some around)

• 4 tablespoons of raw cacao powder

• 2 tablespoons of cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil

• Hemp seeds, shredded coconut (unsweetened), and or sesame seeds (to cover the balls)

• 1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Directions:

1. Place goji berries, chia seeds, almonds, and macadamia nuts in the food processor.

2. Blend for a few minutes.

3. Then, add coconut oil, vanilla, and raw cacao into the food processor.

4. Blend for 2 minutes

5. Shape them into little balls.

6. Roll them in hemp seeds, shredded coconut, and or sesame seeds.

American tastes generally run sweeter than mine, so you might want to add a couple of dates or perhaps some agave or maple syrup.

I'm going to try this recipe today, now my mint has perked up:

Raw Vanilla Mint Squares

1 cup sunflower seeds

1 cup cashews

1 1/4 cup dates

1 tablespoon vanilla

1 tiny pinch sea salt (half the size of a normal pinch!)

35 fresh mint leaves

1. Place sunflower seeds in food processor. Process into a fine meal, might be slightly grainy.

2. Add cashews and continue to process into a fine meal.

3. Add dates a few at a time and continue processing until the dates are well processed and the mixture resembles a coarse cookie dough. You should barely be able to recognize the dates or seeds/nuts, everything should look small and crumbly.

4. Add the vanilla, fresh mint and a tiny pinch of salt. Process again until mint is well distributed and fine. It should still resemble slightly crumbly cookie dough and the mixture should stick together when you pinch it between your fingers.

5. Dump mixture into a square glass pan or a pie plate or brownie dish.

1. With clean hands. press mixture down into pan so that mixture will stick together and will resemble brownies or squares. You should be able to cut this with a knife and they stick together very nicely. Eat right away and store leftovers in refrigerator.

Mint = green leafy = very healthy :p

:)

Rosie

Rosie,

Thanks! Is there a "proportion" to follow? You mentioned 8 beans to how much vodka?

Also, my mouth is watering at the name of truffles. What will happen when I bite into one?!?! :tongue_smilie: Thanks for sharing!

Sorry, to not quote you, so I hope you spot this.

To the person looking for non-alcoholic vanilla:

You can make vanilla sugar by putting the vanilla beans in your sugar container. Also, I'd imagine you could also make a vanilla glycerite by soaking the beans in glycerine - but I have no experience with that, and you'd have to do some research.

Rosie,

Thanks! Is there a "proportion" to follow? You mentioned 8 beans to how much vodka?

It was a 700ml bottle. I don't the proportions matter too much. You just let it sit until it tastes good, which will happen eventually whatever you do.

I never thought to make vanilla! I must start baking more to use up the stuff I have so I can make my own. My waist line won't like it but the rest of the famly will.:D

Start a bottle now! You can use what you have while your home made does its thing. It'll take months.

Rosie

I never thought to make vanilla! I must start baking more to use up the stuff I have so I can make my own. My waist line won't like it but the rest of the famly will.:D

Just go ahead and make it! It takes months to mature, so you'll have time to use up the storebought stuff :)

This is such a great idea—I think I'll try it. Do any of you have a resource for decorative bottles?

Not decorative bottles, but I'm going to get these (BRA4 & BRA8) in both the 4oz. and 8oz. with regular cap and then add some ribbon and a homemade label.

If you Google "homemade vanilla bottle labels" you'll get tons of idea for dressing up your bottles and lots of free labels to print if you don't want to design them yourself. Have fun!

Not decorative bottles, but I'm going to get these (BRA4 & BRA8) in both the 4oz. and 8oz. with regular cap and then add some ribbon and a homemade label.

If you Google "homemade vanilla bottle labels" you'll get tons of idea for dressing up your bottles and lots of free labels to print if you don't want to design them yourself. Have fun!

Thank you!

My supply of vanilla beans came Friday. Thanks to the poster who provided the link. I have enough vanilla beans to create three large bottles, but I only have one big bottle of vodka in the house...off to the liquor store to shop for more homemade vanilla 'base.' ;)

If a Hornsby Green Apple cider hops in the cart with me, oh well, I'll just have to drink it.

My supply of vanilla beans came Friday. Thanks to the poster who provided the link. I have enough vanilla beans to create three large bottles, but I only have one big bottle of vodka in the house...off to the liquor store to shop for more homemade vanilla 'base.' ;)

If a Hornsby Green Apple cider hops in the cart with me, oh well, I'll just have to drink it.

So glad they came! I've never tried Hornsby Green Apple Cider. Hmmm... :cheers2: