Menu

Bread Makers UNITE!

Anyone else make bread? Share a favorite recipe! How often do you bake and how many loaves?

I like Hillbillyhousewife.com's beginners bread recipe, but recently I found Artisan Bread In 5 Minutes A Day and its SO simple! I LOVE to make bread, but Im kind of lazy about making the 2 loaves a day. :lol:

I used to make bread all the time in a cheap black and decker breadmaker. I went through three of them (one freebie from the company) before I quit. They kept breaking down and I never replaced the last one. I'm lazy and hate making bread by hand. However, with the rising cost of bread, I've decided to invest in a new, better quality machine which should arrive next week.

I've made the no-knead breads, and I don't find them very good in comparison to the traditionally made loaves.

I use the following recipes

White bread

Buns

I'm going to make sourdough starter this week and attempt sourdough when I get the machine. Can't wait!

I make my own bread! I used to make about half of our bread, but now I've switched over to making all of it. So much cheaper. The healthy stuff I was buying was almost four bucks a loaf.

I have my white sandwich bread recipe on my blog:

http://enchantedwinterhomeschool.blogspot.com/2012/04/sandwich-bread-la-machine.html

Dh absolutely HAS to have white sandwich bread for his sandwiches or he'll just die. :rolleyes:

We've made our own bread off and on for years. We do the whole grain mill and dough maker machine thing (although my Nutrimill died recently :glare:). I had a standard recipe that I'd used for nearly 10 years but even though it tasted fab. just coming out of the oven, within a day it was kinda dry. (I make 4-5 loaves at a time.) I never thought that maybe I could actually do something about that LOL. A few months back I decided to try this recipe from The Passionate Homemaker. I had been wanting to start soaking my grains ala Nourishing Traditions for some time. I tried it -- and it's wonderful! And four days later, my bread is still moist. Love it, love it. it takes a little more time, and forethought, but this is what I'll use forevah now.

I go on and off with baking my own bread. I mill my own flour. Love my nutrimill. I usually go off when I don't plan ahead to soak my flour. I much prefer soaked grains. I too use the passionate homemakers recipe.

I also make our hot dog and hamburger buns.

I bake my own. I use the basic whole wheat recipe on my blog twice a week and sometimes the whole wheat artisan bread recipe. I also mix up a batch of pizza dough weekly.

My staple whole wheat bread recipe:

http://plathsadventures.com/2011/03/05/menu-march-6-12/

Eta: sometimes I grind the wheat berries in the vitamix, sometimes I use storebought whole wheat flour :)

I make my own Amish Wheat bread. My recipe yields two loaves and depending on how much toast my girls are eating I usually make 2-3 batches a week. I would love a pretzel recipe, care to share?

I've made the pretzel bites from Mels Kitchen Cafe (I don't know her, but her recipes are favorites!) for a party with her chorizo dip. Soooo yummy! They were easy to make and she has twisted pretzelz too.

I've made my own bread on and off for 9 years now. I used a bread maker in the beginning but was never really satisfied with the results. Now i use this recipe and make a couple of batches a week. I also used the Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a Day for a while but just don't have the fridge space for dough at the moment, so can't do it anymore.

I love to make bread, but I'm on a bit of a sabbatical while I'm trying to lose weight. There's no losing weight for me when bread is in the house.

I do a lot of sourdough baking. Even when using a regular bread recipe (like this straight dough oatmeal bread recipe) I often sub a little sourdough in there.

I use Jeffry Hamelman's book the most. His Vermont sourdough with increased wheat or rye. Something like this. Or his multigrain.

I sometimes go on a cinnamon raisin kick and make Peter Reinhard's version from The Bread Baker's Apprentice or Jeffrey Hamelman's oatmeal version from Bread.

This is making me hungry.

We're eclectic in our kitchen when it comes to breadmaking. We make bread by hand, use bread machines, and use the 5-minutes-a-day method.

When we grind our flour, we use a Nutrimill to grind soft white wheat, kamut, spelt, rye, Prarie Gold, and Bronze Chief.

We sometimes use our Bosch to make several loaves at a time to eat and freeze.

We also use bread machines (Zojurushi and Breadman) and really like the cookbook Bread Machine Baking by Lora Brody.

We have a large family, so when we use the bread machines, we often bake one kind in one and another kind in the other, with both running at the same time.

We also use the cookbooks Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day and Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day and *love* the results. I was skeptical at first, but the bread really is amazing. Spelt and Prarie Gold work well as is substitutes for AP flour in the Artisan Bread cookbook.

We also use King Arthur Flour's Whole Grain Baking cookbook a lot.

Our next step is to soak our grains as in Nourishing Traditions.

DD10 helps me make all of our bread.

I bake about half of our bread. I usually use my bread machine to make the dough, then shape and bake by hand. Today though, I have cinnamon raisin bread in the machine. I've been craving cinnamon raisin bread but just don't have time to get the kitchen messy today. My house smells sooo good right now. :)

I am trying to do this more, just to keep grocery trips to a minimum... :-) We do artisan in 5 pretty frequently around here.

I am trying out a loaf of white today, a sandwich bread that is supposed to be soft & yummy.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/printerfriendly/Basic-Soft-White-Sandwich-Loaf-351269?printFormat=photo

We'll see how it turns out, I've never done a sponge method before.

I make my own bread! I used to make about half of our bread, but now I've switched over to making all of it. So much cheaper. The healthy stuff I was buying was almost four bucks a loaf.

http://enchantedwinterhomeschool.blogspot.com/2012/04/sandwich-bread-la-machine.html

Dh absolutely HAS to have white sandwich bread for his sandwiches or he'll just die. :rolleyes:

:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:My family and I thank you for this awesome recipe!!!:001_wub:

Edited by mommy5

I bake ours here. I use a whole wheat recipe from some homesteading magazine I got. My kids prefer that recipe. If I am being cheap and don't have wheat flour I have a few white recipes I alternate. I recently got the artisan bread in 5 minutes book (the healthy one using wheat flour) and while the rolls I made the first day were great, the loaves a few days later didn't rise/turn out. Jury is still out on that book for me.

I started baking bread a couple of years ago. Never thought I could, but I learned a lot on the King Arthur Flour blog/tip sheets.

I can't knead effectively so we started with a stand mixer and now we have a Zo machine for the dough cycle. But I prefer to bake it in the oven. We use it for pizza dough, too. Often, I just do the KAF version of the Artisan Bread in 5 and my kids prefer when I don't do the water step in the oven. One loaf at a time is usually all we need.

I make my own Amish Wheat bread. My recipe yields two loaves and depending on how much toast my girls are eating I usually make 2-3 batches a week. I would love a pretzel recipe, care to share?

Haven't tried this pretzel recipe yet, but here is one from KAF.

Beautiful blog!

http://faithfulprovisions.com/2010/08/30/how-to-make-homemade-bread/

Been doing so for about a year now. We make bread on Tuesday's every OTHER week. I try to make up 3 batches (18 lbs) of dough at a time and freeze it. I let it complete the first rise and then punch down, separate, shape in an oval and freeze. Then, when we need bread, we pull it out in the morning at breakfast time, put in our loaf pan and cover. It's usually ready to pop in the oven for 25 minutes around 5:30. I have mixed in the mixer and by hand and both had equally good results.

I occasionally make bread. I love to make sweet breads, like babka, stollen, cinnamon rolls, and the like, as well as easy savory ones like focaccia. I have a Zojirushi bread maker that I love, but I probably use it to make pizza dough more than anything! I'm a fan of Peter Reinhard's "The Bread Baker's Apprentice" as well as the little booklet that came with my bread machine!

Anyone else make bread? Share a favorite recipe! How often do you bake and how many loaves?

I like Hillbillyhousewife.com's beginners bread recipe, but recently I found Artisan Bread In 5 Minutes A Day and its SO simple! I LOVE to make bread, but Im kind of lazy about making the 2 loaves a day. :lol:

That is where I got my first bread recipe, the Hillbillyhousewife site. I don't have a favorite recipe but like making the braided bread for potlucks.

1 cup warm water

1 T oil

2 T honey

1/2 cup oats

2 1/2 cups white flour

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. yeast

This is the recipe I make every single time. I have a large bread machine and I put two 1# "inserts" in there. I can only let the bread machine run for an hour - if I let it complete the rise then it overflows. I'm too lazy to try scaling down the recipe. When my timer beeps I transfer the dough to two loaf pans and let it rise while the oven heats up. Bake it at 350 for 35 minutes.

This is in the oven with about 10 minutes left to bake. It looks and smells like it will be a hit! I also posted a comment on your blog. This just might be my new white bread recipe.

I've been baking bread for years! My favorite is grilled sourdough pizza and my basic no kneed. I have to make a few kinds because we are all bread snobs and particular LOL!

I've been using the same sourdough for years. I proof in a basket and bake in a la cloche. I usually make one loaf per day of some kind of bread.

I buy high gluten bread flour at a restaurant supply in 50 lb bags, and keep grain on hand to freshly mill. The kids/dh don't love 100% whole grain bread, but I do. I just do about 1/4 whole grain for them. Spelt is nice and light tasting.

CHOPPED APPLE BREAD is a yummy and different thing to make. I'll give my method more than a recipe....

I start with my basic no kneed for one loaf. if you have never made this, go to breadtopia.com and watch the basic no kneed video. That guy has a great website!

The basic recipe is 450 grams flour, 350 milliliter water, 1.5 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp instant yeast OR 1/4 cup active sourdough starter.

Chop one apple (about a cup worth) and mix some cinnamon and sugar together. ( I don't know how much exactly, I just keep it in a jar). After you dump your dough onto a well floured board and pat it out, sprinkle the apples over the dough and press in to the dough slightly. Sprinkle with sugar/cinnamon, then fold your dough like a letter, and cover for 15 minutes. Take a bench scraper or large knife and randomly hack in to roughly one inch chunks. Then gather them up and put in a loaf pan, rise, and bake.

I'm sure you can find a more detailed recipe. I've been making bread so long I don't really use a recipe, I just weigh as I go. I enrich the dough with honey and an egg yolk.