Menu

can you tell me what you think is the best read aloud from this list?

walkermamaof4

My kids are reading through SL 4 on their own (core E that is) but I want to read just one of the books aloud in lieu of a MFW read-aloud that is scheduled next week but which we've already done. Which of these do you think would be most fun or most meaningful or just the best all around read-aloud?

EA01 The Winged Watchman $14.95

EA02 The Great Turkey Walk $7.99

EA03 Across Five Aprils $6.99

EA04 Oxford Illustrated Book of American Children's Poems $12.95

EA05 Caddie Woodlawn $6.99

EA06 Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry $7.99

EA07 Miracles on Maple Hill $6.99

EA08 Little Britches $14.95

EA10 The Great Wheel $8.99

EA11 Moccasin Trail $6.99

EA13 In Search of the Source $11.95

EA14 From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler $6.99

EA15 New! Thee, Hannah! $17.99

EA16 New! The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs $6.99

EA17 New! The Kitchen Madonna $14.95

EA18 New! Half Magic $6.99

EB01 Starting Strong $12.99

EB02 Sing the Word: The Heavens Declare - CD $14.95

ECD Core E Tips - CD $9.99

ECG Core E Instructor's Guide Backordered $99.99

EH01 A Letter to Mrs. Roosevelt $5.99

EH02 Lincoln: A Photobiography $9.95

EH04 Wee Sing America - CD $9.99

EH05 The World Wars $25.99

EH06 William Wilberforce $7.99

EH07 South America Geography Unit $6.95

EH08 A Unit About Canada $9.99

EH101 The Story of the USA Book 3 $12.95

EH102 The Story of the USA Book 4 $12.95

EH11 Timeline Figures E $10.50

EH13 New! Sounding Forth the Trumpet for Young Readers $14.99

EH15 New! American Tall Tales $6.99

ER01 The Perilous Road $6.99

ER02 By the Great Horn Spoon $6.99

ER03 Freedom Train $5.99

ER04 Shades of Gray $5.99

ER05 Turn Homeward, Hannalee $6.99

ER06 Old Yeller $5.99

ER07 Helen Keller $5.99

ER08 All-of-a-Kind Family $6.99

ER09 Thimble Summer $6.99

ER10 In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson $5.99

ER11 Plain Girl $6.95

ER12 Gone Away Lake $6.99

ER13 The Seventeenth Swap $9.99

ER14 Bruchko $14.99

ER15 The Wright Brothers $5.99

ER16 George Washington Carver $7.99

ER17 The Terrible Wave Backordered $14.99

ER18 Sing Down the Moon $6.99

ER19 Hero Over Here $5.99

ER20 The Story of Thomas Alva Edison $4.99

Well, I haven't read all of those, but off of that list the two books Miss P has enjoyed the most, and that I felt lead to the most meaningful discussion, were From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler and Half Magic.

:iagree:. Little Librarian and I both really enjoyed those. I know that Little Britches is supposed to be wonderful also but we haven't read it yet.

Well, I haven't read all of those, but off of that list the two books Miss P has enjoyed the most, and that I felt lead to the most meaningful discussion, were From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler and Half Magic.

:iagree:Those are two great choices. I also would add By The Great Horn Spoon. My kids loved that book.

My kids are reading through SL 4 on their own (core E that is) but I want to read just one of the books aloud in lieu of a MFW read-aloud that is scheduled next week but which we've already done. Which of these do you think would be most fun or most meaningful or just the best all around read-aloud?

So it's not which of these to read but which of these to read *aloud*?

In that case, I'd say Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry. It has heavy themes, and I always like to do those as read alouds so we can stop and discuss.

So it's not which of these to read but which of these to read *aloud*?

In that case, I'd say Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry. It has heavy themes, and I always like to do those as read alouds so we can stop and discuss.

Yes, which to read aloud. Thanks! We'll definitely read them all individually and have already read many of them.

Little Britches reads aloud well ... I still remember it being read to me in elementary school, and had success reading it to a class of Gr. 4 - 7 students.

Am I the only person who hates this book? I remember our teacher reading it outloud in 2nd grade and it was the worst part of the day while it lasted. It was so boring!! I keep seeing it recommended and can't understand why! :confused: I actually thought it must be a different book from the one I remembered, but no it's the same. What is supposed to be so great about this book?

I gave my ds13 at the time: Little Britches and he read it to himself and loved it so much he wanted more, so I did buy 2 more.

I have seen it recommended to read these books aloud but never have.

I am starting the Mixed Up files and I have never read it before.

It is interesting!

They are all so good, but if I had to pick just one to read-aloud I'd go with Across Five Aprils. Isn't it already scheduled in MFW Modern Times for you?

I personally would not let my children read Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry for themselves. I love that book but it's one that I want to fully discuss with them... not just ask comprehension questions. That particular book would be a read-aloud here.

My whole family adored Little Britches and the whole series that follows. We also read Moccasin Trail this year and we all loved it so much that I sat one afternoon and read aloud for nearly 4 hours non-stop because we could not bear to quit. It was my favorite book of the year.

Am I the only person who hates this book? I remember our teacher reading it outloud in 2nd grade and it was the worst part of the day while it lasted. It was so boring!! I keep seeing it recommended and can't understand why! :confused: I actually thought it must be a different book from the one I remembered, but no it's the same. What is supposed to be so great about this book?

Have you tried reading it since 2nd grade?

Oh my, I can't imagine choosing it for a class of 2nd graders. It is such a beautiful story but I think lost on such young children. You must reread it if you haven't since then!

Well, if you want a fun read - The Great Turkey Walk is hilarious. Younger kids will really love it. We all enjoyed From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, especially since we had been to the Met Museum and NYC a few years before. The movie with with Lauren Bacall is enjoyable, as well.

ReneeR

I've read 14 of the books on your list plus portions of a few more of them. I'd pick Little Britches, hands down. I've read it aloud twice, once years ago to my older half and again recently to my younger half. They all (ages 7-15) loved it and begged for the rest of the series.

Edited by Luann in ID

So many good ones to have to choose from! But, I have to agree with the vote on Roll of Thunder for the simple reason that it will have good food for discussion. The Great Turkey Walk and By the Great Horn Spoon were favs here and I read them aloud, but my dc could easily have read them to themselves.

Of that list, Roll of Thunder would be my choice, it's the one that I would want to have discussions about while reading. It's also a good time to show photos from the internet on 'Whites Only', the two drinking fountains, etc.

However, almost all of them are great! We didn't like the Story of the USA books - dull and my dc are too sensitive for Old Yeller. We have Half Magic but I'm not sure if anyone has read it. My personal favorite from childhood was Mixed Up Files. I still have my original copy from then, and they've both read it. Sadly, while they liked it, neither of them thought it was as good as I did.

Couldn't choose.

1. We are doing this core so we're reading ALL of them anyway. ;)

2. If I just glanced at it I could pick a handful of them that I've read before & LOVE to pieces. Caddie Woodlawn & All Of A Kind Family {whole series} were ALWAYS huge favourites when I was a kid. This household ADORES By The Great Horn Spoon, it's done beautifully as an Audio book. Seriously.

However I can say:

• Canada & South America wouldn't be good read alouds.
  • Moccasin Trail is a thick read with lots of "accents" {it's written in a S. Twang}; I also suspect your youngers wouldn't enjoy it much. My 11 year old is enjoying it, my 8 year old is so-so with it
  • Harrit Tubman is an enjoyable book, but it's got some harsh stuff in it {like being whipped until she couldn't walk} & it's not written in story form. As in there's very little dialogue. I see it more as facts. My boys aren't opposed to the book, this is a time period they wanted to learn about.
  • The Lincoln book wouldn't make a grand read aloud either, but it's a pretty book to look through.
  • Obviously you wouldn't read Core E or it's cd or the timeline pieces so that's three more off the list
  • The Story of the USA Books aren't going to be fun read alouds either so that's two more gone for you.
  • Roll Of Thunder is a pretty heavy book emotionally, can your kids handle that?
  • I'd not select the poetry book so there's another one gone

Are you ONLY picking one? Or just looking for one to start with? If you were looking for one to start with I'd probably read them chronologically time wise. But, i'd also be tempted to get a bunch of them on Audio :D