Menu

What exactly is a Christian "Testimony"?

I'm going to be in a situation where I will be asked (as well as my 13 yo ds) to give my testimony.

We are practicing Catholics. We love Jesus. I am pretty sure I have a testimony but I'm not sure exactly what it is. The terminology is outside of my comfort zone. I'll have to help ds prepare, too.

So, when I am asked for my testimony, what are my interviewers wanting to hear? What am I supposed to share? Are there certain points every testimony is supposed to cover? I could talk about my faith forever- I need to narrow it down to what they really want to hear.

When you hear someone is going to share their testimony what are you expecting?

This is for a private Christian school (for the homeschool umbrella program). They are open to Catholics but definitely not used to them ;)

I realize how stupid this question sounds!

Thanks,

Marie

I agree with asking them to clarify, just to be sure.

In my Southern Baptist worldview, a testimony is your story of how you came to know Jesus. For example, talking about being raised in the church and then being choosing to accept Jesus into your heart. As a Catholic, your story may sound different. Everyone's testimony is unique, of course. I would guess they are trying to find out more about your personal faith and how that came to be.

The common understanding is a conversion story - how you became a believer in Jesus Christ. Generally framed in three parts 1) before 2) what happened to change me 3) after or now.

This understanding assumes a "conversion" experience that you can remember. It does not account for "Timothy testimonies" - people who grew up in believing families or going to churches where the gospel was proclaimed and in whom God worked at a young age so that they have never known a day when they didn't believe in Christ. Churches which practice infant baptism will usually recognize these better than churches who practice believers' baptism. (Though it certainly happens in all kinds of Christian traditions.)

I became a Christian at age 15 so I do have a memorable conversion testimony, but that is often not what I tell when asked to speak about my "testimony". I also consider telling about how God is working in my life now as a good testimony. I try to focus on God rather than on me. To speak of how his grace and mercy are teaching me and changing me.

A really interesting book about these things is Spiritual Birthline by Stephen Smallman.

I consider a testimony to be about how that person know he or she has a personal relationship with Jesus. It many times includes the initial time a person decided to be a Christ-follower, but I accepted Christ as a child raised in the church. The more powerful parts of my testimony are what He has done in my life as an adult, IMHO.

I would say that phrase is not part of my faith tradition, could you share with me what you mean by that phrase? Pleasant and honest. And they can articulate exactly what they seek to know by the question.

:iagree:

I would call it Christianese for that moment of when you 'got saved'. For many Catholics I know, this presents a problem, because they don't *have* that moment, they are blessed to always ahve known Christ and are in a constant state of growing closer and deeper.

Even with me, as I was baptized Catholic when I was a baby, I don't have a *testimony* even after leaving the Catholic faith for 30 years and then reverting. I don't know of a time when I didn't have a deep awareness of God and love of Jesus.

So be honest. :001_smile:

My son had to present a similar testimony to participate in a Christian co-op. He's Catholic. I've never even been Christian so I was completely lost as to what they wanted, and how to best present our situation! When I asked, they looked at me funny and prayed for me right then and there. (I was still as confused after LOL.)

We asked his priest, who said explained much to me (mostly the difference in wording, and belief WRT infant baptism and solicited baptism). He suggested I let them know that my son was baptised as an infant, who continued to grow and learn about Jesus through active participation in living the faith - most notably, my son's then-participation in preparing to make First Communion. The priest said not to mention the Reconciliation part, just focus on the Catholic belief that the bread and wine transform into the body and blood, and that by preparing for that sacrament my son had come to realize Jesus as his savior. He said to try to put the Catholic beliefs into their vernacular, so they'd better understand (even if they didn't agree theologically).

It worked. They let my kid in.

You were being brought up in the Christian faith, and at some point in time took it as your own in a more formal way, yes? So you were catechized from infancy, but at some point you felt responsible to answer God's call on your individual life. If you can't remember when that was, then I would speak of it something like this: "I love God and have accepted his offer of eternal salvation, basing it on Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Or whatever verse that is similar... that you hold dear :)

You were being brought up in the Christian faith, and at some point in time took it as your own in a more formal way, yes? So you were catechized from infancy, but at some point you felt responsible to answer God's call on your individual life. If you can't remember when that was, then I would speak of it something like this: "I love God and have accepted his offer of eternal salvation, basing it on Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Or whatever verse that is similar... that you hold dear :)

I think this is a good way to do it for someone who grew up in a believing household. I attend a theologically conservative evangelical church and though we do believers' baptism, many of the kids do not have a point in time when they can remember not believing, then believing. They grew up in the faith. That is normal, though some kids who grow up in Christian homes do have a point in time when they felt like they made a specific decision. That's normal too!

I think if this is an employer, what they want to know is are you a believer. And the way a lot of evangelical faith traditions demarcate that is through a specific grid. So using Scriptures in your story of your faith journey will be important in helping bridge the gap of different theological terminology,etc. Scriptures to consider including would be John 3:16, Rom 3:23, 6:23, 10:9-11, Eph. 2:8-9. Those are familiar to Protestants giving "testimonies." If you quote from Scripture as much as possible, this will keep you from phrasing something differently than they are used to and raising doubts. For example, Protestants and Catholics both agree that good works are normative in the Christian life. Protestants tend to see them as evidence of a saving faith, and get worried if it sounds like they are part of how you are saved, so I wouldn't get into that too much.

So I agree with the pp that stating what you believe now is important and maybe include some of the ways you've seen God at work in your life: answered prayers, etc.

You were being brought up in the Christian faith, and at some point in time took it as your own in a more formal way, yes?

Well, not necessarily in many traditions. Even the youngest of children have the faith already as their "own" in our tradition (infants 40 days old are baptized and receive the Eucharist; they are members of the church in every way). There doesn't have to be a time of mental assent or a time of "taking ownership" such as this describes. For many, it always was and still is. A testimony in this case might be something like, "I was baptized as an infant and raised in the church. I love God and His Church now as I always have." There might not be any kind of definitive/turning moment hidden in there. Hope that makes sense.

It is really quite simple and is the same question regardless of your flavor of Christianity. Explain about your faith- how did you come to it and what does it mean in your life personally.

Many non-Catholics also don't have a "saved moment". Many former Catholics do. Everyone who has faith has a testimony. Everyone's is unique.

It is really quite simple and is the same question regardless of your flavor of Christianity. Explain about your faith- how did you come to it and what does it mean in your life personally.

Many non-Catholics also don't have a "saved moment". Many former Catholics do. Everyone who has faith has a testimony. Everyone's is unique.

Alison, based on some of our past conversations, I know we come from different religious backgrounds and I know terminology can be defined a bit differently between these backgrounds. I do agree with what you wrote above, but also know that in some of the circles I used to run in, a "testimony" refers to the events leading up to the moment of a decision-making, so it would be something a person would remember (a conscious decision). I'm even aware of some who say that unless you can point to that moment, i.e., date/time, you may not really be "saved." That conversion is a turning and you have to know you turned. I don't agree with that, but just wanted to mention that if the OP's school board is looking for this kind of testimony, it could be different from just telling a "life of faith" story.

Alison, based on some of our past conversations, I know we come from different religious backgrounds and I know terminology can be defined a bit differently between these backgrounds. I do agree with what you wrote above, but also know that in some of the circles I used to run in, a "testimony" refers to the events leading up to the moment of a decision-making, so it would be something a person would remember (a conscious decision). I'm even aware of some who say that unless you can point to that moment, i.e., date/time, you may not really be "saved." That conversion is a turning and you have to know you turned. I don't agree with that, but just wanted to mention that if the OP's school board is looking for this kind of testimony, it could be different from just telling a "life of faith" story.

I have no doubt that people put all kinds of limits on who is really Christian. There is no evidence that these are the kind of people the OP is dealing with. Those beliefs aren't the majority.

It is simple but she asked a good question. People define "testimony" differently. My Methodist, Catholic, and Episcopalian family were told, by a church group, that none of them were Christians because they didn't have a "saved moment" or didn't have a "testimony" the way that church defined the term. This might be an unusual idea to you (and actually, I hope it is) but I live in an area where a lot of the Christians would exclude someone if they didn't have a particular date and time when they were saved and baptized by immersion after that moment, and if they don't have evidence of a changed life after that moment.

The group mentioned in the OP sounds open, but around here, if someone asked for my testimony of faith I would wonder if they were leading up to try and prove that I'm not "saved". (And someone who is saying that a lot of Catholics don't have saved moments isn't, I don't think, implying that non-Catholics don't. I am aware, since I have a diverse family, that my Protestant (and I am using the term they use to describe themselves!) and Catholic family might wonder what someone was looking for if asked for a testimony since they didn't "get saved".)

I'm going to be in a situation where I will be asked (as well as my 13 yo ds) to give my testimony.

We are practicing Catholics. We love Jesus. I am pretty sure I have a testimony but I'm not sure exactly what it is. The terminology is outside of my comfort zone. I'll have to help ds prepare, too.

So, when I am asked for my testimony, what are my interviewers wanting to hear? What am I supposed to share? Are there certain points every testimony is supposed to cover? I could talk about my faith forever- I need to narrow it down to what they really want to hear.

When you hear someone is going to share their testimony what are you expecting?

This is for a private Christian school (for the homeschool umbrella program). They are open to Catholics but definitely not used to them ;)

I realize how stupid this question sounds!

Thanks,

Marie

Sure you have a testimony! When did you come into a knowledge of Jesus as Savior? That's all they are asking.

When and how did you go from "Hey, there is this guy named Jesus in the Bible" to knowing in your gut who He is and that He was the way, the truth and the life?"

Even if you were cradle Catholic, as my husband was when we met, at some point along the way, He has to become real to you or you are just going through motions and rituals. You might have been really young. You might be much older. I heard a preacher describe it like this: God has this panoramic view not limited by time of all times that have been and will be. People are entering the picture at various times and becoming incorporated into the plan. Some are 4, some are 52 when they believe and see. Something like that. He said it better! That's what they want to hear about; it encourages other people, and scripture tells us that we are overcomers by the word and by our testimony.

justamouse:

I would call it Christianese for that moment of when you 'got saved'.

That actually isn't exactly it. It will include a moment or period of time when you actually came into a real knowing faith of your own, but every person's story will be vastly different. The testimony is the story of victory in faith; that God reaches here to change us if we only receive and believe.

For many Catholics I know, this presents a problem, because they don't *have* that moment, they are blessed to always ahve known Christ and are in a constant state of growing closer and deeper.

Maybe they have, and then their testimony is what God is doing in their lives since early on, usually in hills and valleys, as we humans don't tend to cooperate all the time. They used to be here...and now they are over here. If there is fruit, then it will be obvious, and that's the testimony they tell.

Even with me, as I was baptized Catholic when I was a baby, I don't have a *testimony* even after leaving the Catholic faith for 30 years and then reverting. I don't know of a time when I didn't have a deep awareness of God and love of Jesus.

Then your testimony is that you were raised in the faith from an early age, you left for (whatever reasons), and then you realized you needed to come back because...

Thank you, everyone, for all the responses. They really have been so helpful.

The homeschool administrator has been kind and warm and open thus far. I fully agree with the Statement of Faith. I have no reason to think they are going to try to play "gotcha" with me. As a Catholic homeschooler I can be guilty of having a "chip on my shoulder" in anticipation of being excluded for my faith. I don't have any reason to believe that is going on here.

So often just being able to express my faith in terms my protestant friends can relate to and be comfortable with makes all the difference in finding common ground.

Feel free to keep the discussion rolling. It really is helpful to have the different perspectives presented.

We will be nervous but we will just be ourselves and be honest about who we are and where we are in our faith lives. I really want to be with this school but if they aren't comfortable with us we'll find another way.

It is simple but she asked a good question. People define "testimony" differently. My Methodist, Catholic, and Episcopalian family were told, by a church group, that none of them were Christians because they didn't have a "saved moment" or didn't have a "testimony" the way that church defined the term. This might be an unusual idea to you (and actually, I hope it is) but I live in an area where a lot of the Christians would exclude someone if they didn't have a particular date and time when they were saved and baptized by immersion after that moment, and if they don't have evidence of a changed life after that moment.

The group mentioned in the OP sounds open, but around here, if someone asked for my testimony of faith I would wonder if they were leading up to try and prove that I'm not "saved". (And someone who is saying that a lot of Catholics don't have saved moments isn't, I don't think, implying that non-Catholics don't. I am aware, since I have a diverse family, that my Protestant (and I am using the term they use to describe themselves!) and Catholic family might wonder what someone was looking for if asked for a testimony since they didn't "get saved".)

I think it was a good question. I'm disappointed that people are judged so quickly based solely on faith differences. There are many types of Christian exclusion and most are equally unfavorable.

That actually isn't exactly it. It will include a moment or period of time when you actually came into a real knowing faith of your own, but every person's story will be vastly different. The testimony is the story of victory in faith; that God reaches here to change us if we only receive and believe.

Maybe they have, and then their testimony is what God is doing in their lives since early on, usually in hills and valleys, as we humans don't tend to cooperate all the time. They used to be here...and now they are over here. If there is fruit, then it will be obvious, and that's the testimony they tell.

Then your testimony is that you were raised in the faith from an early age, you left for (whatever reasons), and then you realized you needed to come back because...

From what I know around here, and spending those 30 years in Protestant churches (my mother took me away from Catholicism as a child) they are wanting to hear about that moment --there might be a story of conflict and a climax of that moment, but it's the turning point they want to hear about.

My journey back is a journey. It's not about a moment. I don't *have* a moment of knowing. There was never a time I didn't know. I have moments of deeper revelation and maturity (as would anyone from year to year over such a long period of time), and, perhaps if I were an unbeliever I'd have something like a testimony, but I couldn't possibly pinpoint a moment (and then sum it all up to be judged as worthy to be in the Christian co op).

I'm not bristling at you, honestly, but that this even goes on as some sort of litmus test.

A testimony is simply a story about your Christian journey. For many Christians its the ah-ha moment when they fully accepted the person of God into their lives or they realized the need for more depth to their walk (and what they did about that).

A testimony doesn't have to be about salvation. Simply relating any story of your Christian walk will often do. You can testify about something that happened to you this week. Often churches who use testimonies are looking for a way to share their Christian walks together and to inspire each other.

IMHO I would be looking for another homeschool umbrella school:( A SOF is bad enough IMO, but a testimony is rather galling IMO. So I guess unbelievers or different believers are not good enough for this school????

IMO Christ calls everyone to the table.

Sorry, not trying to offend. SOF are not good things to me. This testimony sounds even worse:(

Edited by priscilla
clarify

IMHO I would be looking for another homeschool umbrella school:( A SOF is bad enough IMO, but a testimony is rather galling IMO. So I guess unbelievers are not good enough for this school????

IMO Christ calls everyone to the table.

Sorry, not trying to offend. SOF are not good things to me. This testimony sounds even worse:(

eh. i don't know. is it really so bad if a faith based school wants their students to adhere to the same creed? it isn't just a christian thing, a lot of religions have faith based schools that have some strict criteria. no one is making people pay thousands a year to attend. it's a choice.

eh. i don't know. is it really so bad if a faith based school wants their students to adhere to the same creed? it isn't just a christian thing, a lot of religions have faith based schools that have some strict criteria. no one is making people pay thousands a year to attend. it's a choice.

IMO it is not very Christian in a sense to screen students in such a manner. I have attended Catholic schools that did not screen students in a such a way. DS attended a conservative Lutheran school that did have SOF that the school adhered to but did not require students or families to agree to the same. His school just expected families to understand that this is what they believe and to be respectful of their beliefs which we were. This approach is more Christian IMO.

Edited by priscilla

IMO it is not very Christian in a sense to screen students in such a manner. I have attended Catholic schools that did not screen students in a such a way. DS attended a conservative Lutheran school that did have SOF that the school adhered to but did not require students or families to agree to the same. His school just expected families to understand that this is what they believe and to be respectful of their beliefs which we were.

well. we've never utilized any kind of school. i would never be able to adhere to any of it, lol. i'm just saying, they have the right too. jewish schools can be for jewish kids. catholic schools can be for catholic kids. this umbrella school can require yada yada. it just doesn't offend me.

From what I know around here, and spending those 30 years in Protestant churches (my mother took me away from Catholicism as a child) they are wanting to hear about that moment --there might be a story of conflict and a climax of that moment, but it's the turning point they want to hear about.

My journey back is a journey. It's not about a moment. I don't *have* a moment of knowing. There was never a time I didn't know. I have moments of deeper revelation and maturity (as would anyone from year to year over such a long period of time), and, perhaps if I were an unbeliever I'd have something like a testimony, but I couldn't possibly pinpoint a moment (and then sum it all up to be judged as worthy to be in the Christian co op).

I'm not bristling at you, honestly, but that this even goes on as some sort of litmus test.

Your journey is a period of time.

well. we've never utilized any kind of school. i would never be able to adhere to any of it, lol. i'm just saying, they have the right too. jewish schools can be for jewish kids. catholic schools can be for catholic kids. this umbrella school can require yada yada. it just doesn't offend me.

Me either. To each his own.

I grew up in a Lutheran church, where "testimony" was not in my vocabulary. :) Since switching to a non-denominational Bible church and a Baptist church, it's been my experience that one's testimony is the precise moment of accepting Jesus Christ as savior. This has always been problematic for our children and ourselves, because we can't seem to name an exact moment or experience. It was more a gradual growth to understanding what Jesus meant to us.

I think once when I was in college and was asked for my testimony (in front of a group), I made something up to sound like I really had an exact moment of conversion!

Recently, my daughter was asked to present her testimony in front of a youth group. (Not told that she had to, but because she's a neat kid and a good role model for the younger crowd.) She didn't give a testimony of conversion, but rather, talked about an experience that helped her to grow in her faith. I think it touched the youth who were there.

I grew up in a Lutheran church, where "testimony" was not in my vocabulary. :) Since switching to a non-denominational Bible church and a Baptist church, it's been my experience that one's testimony is the precise moment of accepting Jesus Christ as savior. This has always been problematic for our children and ourselves, because we can't seem to name an exact moment or experience. It was more a gradual growth to understanding what Jesus meant to us.

I think once when I was in college and was asked for my testimony (in front of a group), I made something up to sound like I really had an exact moment of conversion!

Recently, my daughter was asked to present her testimony in front of a youth group. (Not told that she had to, but because she's a neat kid and a good role model for the younger crowd.) She didn't give a testimony of conversion, but rather, talked about an experience that helped her to grow in her faith. I think it touched the youth who were there.

That is interesting. I go to a non-denom church, and grew up Baptist, used to be in a Bible church. It is sort of understood that sometimes people have a "moment" that they understand Christ is their savior and some people realize that they came to that knowledge over a period of time. I have found that in any of the Protestant churches I have been involved in are accepting of both kinds of "testimonies."

I have found that in any of the Protestant churches I have been involved in are accepting of both kinds of "testimonies."

Agreed. We were never questioned or thought less of because we didn't have an exact moment conversion story. It just wasn't the norm.