Menu

Movie ratings are for a reason

I've seen Hunger Games four times now. The last two times there were several very small children in the theater. Enough that I was really surprised. The movie is rated PG-13. I have a 10 and a 12 year old who have seen it twice (and read the books about 6 months ago and understand the deeper meanings). I don't have a problem *at all* with kids 8 or 10 and up at a PG-13 movie with their parents. Cameron went with us to the last three Harry Potter movies. But 4 or 5? Too young!

I have 5 and 3 year olds and while it will be fine for them to be around when we watch Hunger Games when it is on DVD (they've been around when we've watched Harry Potter), I would not take them to the movie theater to see it. At home they can leave the room if they are bored or something is too intense for them. Or if I see they are scared I can attend to them and talk to them, maybe even pausing or stopping the movie if necessary. Things that aren't possible in a movie theater.

The little boy next to me today was 4, maybe 5, years old. He was VERY scared in several places. The bloodbath scared him. He was whimpering, loudly, through the tracker jacker scene. He kept asking to leave, but his mother just responded with "Shhh! I'm watching the movie." He got bored (it's nearly 2 1/2 hours long!). He was extremely wiggly and distracting (as was his mom texting a couple times in the middle of the movie).

I get that people want to see the movie, but as much as I like it and think it's an excellent movie, it really is not for very little children. I just can't imagine taking a little one to see it. And it's not like it was just the kid next to me today. There were at least a dozen kids who looked to be in the 4-6 range both yesterday and today!

I've seen Hunger Games four times now. The last two times there were several very small children in the theater. Enough that I was really surprised. The movie is rated PG-13. I have a 10 and a 12 year old who have seen it twice (and read the books about 6 months ago and understand the deeper meanings). I don't have a problem *at all* with kids 8 or 10 and up at a PG-13 movie with their parents. Cameron went with us to the last three Harry Potter movies. But 4 or 5? Too young!

I have 5 and 3 year olds and while it will be fine for them to be around when we watch Hunger Games when it is on DVD (they've been around when we've watched Harry Potter), I would not take them to the movie theater to see it. At home they can leave the room if they are bored or something is too intense for them. Or if I see they are scared I can attend to them and talk to them, maybe even pausing or stopping the movie if necessary. Things that aren't possible in a movie theater.

The little boy next to me today was 4, maybe 5, years old. He was VERY scared in several places. The bloodbath scared him. He was whimpering, loudly, through the tracker jacker scene. He kept asking to leave, but his mother just responded with "Shhh! I'm watching the movie." He got bored (it's nearly 2 1/2 hours long!). He was extremely wiggly and distracting (as was his mom texting a couple times in the middle of the movie).

I get that people want to see the movie, but as much as I like it and think it's an excellent movie, it really is not for very little children. I just can't imagine taking a little one to see it. And it's not like it was just the kid next to me today. There were at least a dozen kids who looked to be in the 4-6 range both yesterday and today!

:iagree: When I took my three oldest last week, there was a child behind me who was driving me BATTY!!!! He was VERY scared. His parents kept telling him to be quiet. It didn't help that he had a really bad cold!

My dd has an 8 yo friend whose parents are letting her see the movie. I am really surprised. I cannot imagine.

It breaks my heart, how stupid people are.

The little boy next to me today was 4, maybe 5, years old. He was VERY scared in several places. The bloodbath scared him. He was whimpering, loudly, through the tracker jacker scene. He kept asking to leave, but his mother just responded with "Shhh! I'm watching the movie."

I'm sure that was the scene in the theater when my mother took my to see Jaws. 37 years later, I am still terrified by the mere thought of open water. :(

That is too young for HG. That said, I took my 1 yo (she slept or stole treats from the big kids the whole time!). I also took my 3 yo with me to see Troy ages ago. She also slept the whole time. And all of my kids have seen HP since they were babies. We would take them out of the room for particularly frightening scenes. To each their own!

Of course, I also watched Terminator, Beaches, Goonies, Indiana Jones, etc. from a very young age. My mom was way TOO lenient with what I watch! I had nightmares about Chuckie for years...

The boy next to me sat on a booster during the movie and was carried out of the theater by his mom after the movie (as were several others I noticed). He acted like a typical 4 or 5 year old. He was definitely not a small older kid. I could believe it that a couple of the very small kids were actually older and just looked little. But not a full dozen at each of two different movie times.

We did take our youngest with us, and take him to anything the older boys go to, but we also bring his Nintendo DS (volume off) and a thick blanket (for him to hide under and block the light from other movie watchers) and sit in the way back row of the theater. And we agree ahead of time, DH & I, who will take him out if he just.can't.sit.still. for a movie. Not if we will, which one of us will.

He's newly 7 but small for his size, so I imagine a lot of folks think he's more like 4 or 5, too.

I don't mind seeing young kids if the parents are prepared to parent during the movie, but yea, the unprepared folks ignoring their annoying little one....gets old, fast.

I wish more parents would respect the ratings and not take small children, and not because they are disruptive but because of what it can do to their psyche. My mother was addicted to movies (I'm serious - it was her escape from life.), and I saw many movies that were age INappropriate. I understand how not good for a child it is to be exposed to things when they are too young. I wonder what my mother was thinking. (besides the "Not having to pay a babysitter.") I will not allow my youngest to even watch that stuff at home - his brother's aren't so good about respecting those boundaries so he has seen some of it, but I've also seen the adverse affects as he tries to process it.

:glare: Why couldn't they wait till it came out on DVD? Or until they had a babysitter if it was that vitally important? Granted, I let my children watch more than most other parents will, but I would never take them to see that sort of thing at the theaters, I do it at home with DVDs, that way if they don't like the movie, I can stop it, and go off and play with them, and watch it once they are in bed. And I can explain "why" they are doing stuff (like cutting the branch or about the history of the history games) without someone shushing or purposefully having to be quiet.

My son is 10, but he looks like he's 5. Granted, he acts like he is 10; he isn't easily scared or anything. But, I know lots of people think he is much younger than he is.

LOL. I get the opposite problem. My daughter acts more mature, and looks WAY older than she actually is (shes uber-tall, and is extremely respectful, and is happy, but quiet in public) ever since she was 2 1/2, people have been thinking she was about 5, now that shes 6, everyone thinks shes 8-10. As such, even people who know her age, expect her to "know" a lot more than she actually does. There were times even I (when she was around 3) had to stop and re-think everytime i would act like she's 5-6 lol, and she wasn't understanding a word I was saying :lol: She now has a pixie cut, which makes her look even older (her choice of haircuts). I keep having to remind people she only just turned 6.

When I was 3, my parents, along with some other family members, took me with them to see Alien. I have zero memory of the event, but my dad and aunts love to tell the story about it. Apparently, everyone at the theater was at the height of suspense at the part where the alien comes out of the guy's stomach. People covered their faces, many gasps, you know the drill. I have been told that as the thing was slithering across the table, I hollered out, "My daddy'll step on that snake!" at the top of my lungs. They tell me the entire theater burst out laughing, and after that no one was scared in the movie anymore.

I still wouldn't take my kids to movies rated way over their ages. Not even for comic relief. :lol:

My dh and I saw an R-rated movie earlier this week. It had it all - s*x, violence, language, drugs. (I'm embarrassed to admit we went to see it - but it WAS HILARIOUS if you are a Will Ferrell fan).

There were children in the theater. The youngest looked to be about 8. :confused:

Honestly, if you're going to show it to them at home, I don't think there's that much of a difference if you bring them to see it at the theater.

Sorry, but I just don't agree. :001_huh:

At home you can pause if the action gets too intense, and either take a break, talk it over, or send the kiddo off to do something else. Seeing things on a small screen vs. a giant, overwhelming theater screen & sound system is definitely different.

Seeing things on a small screen vs. a giant, overwhelming theater screen & sound system is definitely different.

:iagree: Certain things are not appropriate (for my kids) on big OR small screens, however, watching it at home on a 42 inch screen w/o surround sound is less overwhelming than seeing it on the big screen.

I just don't take my kids to see adult/older teen themed movies. It makes it easier for me to know what to expect and come across fewer suprises in the course of watching a movie. One of my DD9's good friends has seen all the Twilight movies in the theater. As has her 8 year old brother. I can't imagine. Now, my DD9 and DS12 have seen the first and second Twilight movies, at home, so I'm lenient enough to let them see that (though not 3 or 4) but I wouldn't have taken them to the theater. Mostly for the sake of the other patrons - I went to a midnight showing and would not have been happy to sit with children.

Sorry, but I just don't agree. :001_huh:

At home you can pause if the action gets too intense, and either take a break, talk it over, or send the kiddo off to do something else. Seeing things on a small screen vs. a giant, overwhelming theater screen & sound system is definitely different.

If you have to do any of the bolded things, that should be a clue that the movie is living up to its rating. Not made for young children, period.

My parents were overly lenient in what we watched too. And I agree that we have seen young kids in movies that should not have been there. For example, there were kids in the theater when we saw Hangover 2. That is not okay. I am not sure *I* was old enough for some of that, I had to hide my eyes through many parts. :tongue_smilie:

If you have to do any of the bolded things, that should be a clue that the movie is living up to its rating. Not made for young children, period.

To each his/her own, I guess.

There are things I'm comfortable with my kids seeing, if they can watch it within the context of family viewing/discussion which just could not take place in a crowded movie theater. So, yeah. Some things are ok on video at home, and not ok on the big screen.

I think "parental guidance" means just that. You guide, which doesn't necessarily mean they can't view it, just that they need guidance. ;)

Unless the movie is obviously adult in nature (The Hangover? Geez! That's not for kidlets!) then I assume the family has standards which may be different than my own but which deserve to be respected. I mean, sure, if the kid is cowering in the floor or crying that he's scared then by all means the film is not appropriate for him. I have seen little kids that should be removed for these reasons. They were clearly not enjoying the film.

That said, we took our ds5 at the time to see the last Harry Potter in theaters. He was absolutely fine and enjoyed the film, as I knew he would (I had already seen it before we took him). I would let him watch HG at home. I would let my 8yo watch it at the theater.