Menu

Hello Dance moms......bun help please.

DD has thick, straight hair and the instructions for recital is a bun with the ribbon that came with the costume wrapped around it. Oh , did I mention this is my precious 6 year old dd who can't stand to have her hair brushed. She will tolerate a certain amount for the sake of the recital but I need a quick no messing around technique that I can practice over the next few weeks.:bigear::lurk5: TIA:D

I start with damp hair, pull it into a ponytail with an elastic and then wrap the tail into a bun. I use a lot of hairpins to pin it in place and then lots of hairspray over the whole thing (front included since my DD is growing her bangs out and they never want to stay). This works and stays put. The goop ir gel would be good to make sure it lasts for several hours. Since you want to practice, you can try it out without the hairspray part just to prctice getting it in place and having her get used to it. (that way you don't have to shampoo her after every practice).

My dd also has long, thick hair. We do a ponytail, twist, and wrap around with lots of bobbie pins. A hair net may help too. Today I saw one of the girls at dance showing someone how to use a bun making thing. I don't know what it's called, but it looks like a giant slap bracelet folded in half. She stuck it in her hair, wound it up and spread out the hair. It looked really easy.

Could you do a sock bun? It's the easiest bun I've found to do.

http://www.squidoo.com/sock-bun

Sock bun! You COULD buy one of those but it is a lot easier to make one. You can find a similar one for sale on Amazon as a Magic Bun http://www.amazon.com/Taiwans-Famous-Sponge-Clips-Small/dp/B0049MA2NU/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1333415034&sr=1-3-catcorr

I think the Magic Bun looks really easy, if you have a daughter who doesn't like having her hair messed with.

Dd8's dance teacher taught all of dance moms how to make a sock bun, then you buy the hairnet to wrap over it for extra protection against wispy hairs. Put gel on the pulled back hair to keep it smooth.

Seriously easy and I am NOT good at hair!

BTW, my dd has long, thick hair as well.

My DD's ballet teacher strongly recommends Hairgamis. They're super easy-put the end of the hair in, roll up, snap around, put a hairnet over to keep wisps in. I have a 7 yr old with waist length, stick straight, very fine, very thick hair, and the hairgami is a life saver. They're cheap on ebay or from beauty supply stores, fairly expensive from dance supply stores.

We used one of those bun maker contraptions like this:

http://www.dancefashions.com/p-443-whirl-a-style-hair-styler-bun-holder-bun-maker-hair-accessory.aspx

It was so easy, that dd was doing her own hair when she was 7-8.

If you're making a traditional wrap around bun, I find that the u-shaped hair pins hold it better than bobby pins. Also, you can always buy hair :-) I own a fake bun that I can put over my own messy bun. It is beautifully braided and perfectly formed. If I can find a color match for my copper-colored hair, then normal hair colors have got to be easy to find. It's a little odd at first, but it does look good on stage.

My dd's hair was very long. I braided it and then put it in a bun. Some of the mom's found hair nets to be helpful.

My DD's ballet teacher strongly recommends Hairgamis. They're super easy-put the end of the hair in, roll up, snap around, put a hairnet over to keep wisps in. I have a 7 yr old with waist length, stick straight, very fine, very thick hair, and the hairgami is a life saver. They're cheap on ebay or from beauty supply stores, fairly expensive from dance supply stores.

:iagree:

When dd's hair was very long (think hip length), I would make a ponytail where her bun was supposed to be (sometimes it was a high bun, sometimes a low bun), do a quick braid of all the hair, wrap it around, cover with a hairnet and pin the heck out of it.

Because her hair was so long, the hair-i-gami added too much bulk to her bun but it was amazing when her hair was about mid-back. Very easy although it might take a few tries to wind up with it snapping the right way when you reach the head. I would spread the hair around it a little bit (since we had a blue one for dd's red hair), put a hairnet over it, spray and pin.

Hairpins do work better than regular bobby pins.

My dd has a lot of routines that involve leaps and major turns so it's important that her bun be very secure and not come out. Her hair is very straight and very smooth so things slide out easily.

Get a hair net. Do a ponytail with wet hair and lots of gel. Wrap the pony tails around itself and then wrap the hair net over and over, 4 bobby pins and it is good all day.

:iagree:The hair net is the key. You will also want to gel back all her little fly away hairs from her face. Otherwise she will have a shadow on her face from the stage lights. Strange, but true. I also highly recommend going to your local dance shop and picking up the large, huge hair pins that dancers use. The little hair or bobby pins from the super market or drug store just don't do the trick. They usually come in a package of six, but thats all you will need if you are using a hair net. The dance store will sell hair nets as well. I found them to last longer, and they had a better color selection to match my daughters' hair color.

My DD has to get in and out of hairstyles very quickly during shows. Therefore, for buns she uses a contraption like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/BestDealUSA-Styler-Magic-Ponytail-Twist/dp/B005OHUCM0/ref=sr_1_70?ie=UTF8&qid=1333460441&sr=8-70

Although this one did not get good reviews, the ones we have bought at better dance stores are great.

:)

These work great if you know what you are doing and buy the correct size for your daughter's hair type.

I use a hairnet. My younger daughter is very very tender headed and has thick straight hair. I make her use conditioner on a daily basis to keep her hair brushable with minimal pain. Then I make her do most of the brushing. For some reason, hurting herself is easier than me hurting her. :p I finish up the brushing and pull it into a pony tail, wrap it around and put another rubber band. The hairnet holds it into place and keeps the ends from coming loose and then I use several bobby pins. That can be painful as well but my daughter handles that part better than having her hair pulled during brushing. I don't use hairspray, but I will for her recital, just to keep all the ends flattened down.

The type of bun you will be allowed to do depends on how strict your studio is. Many studios will not allow buns with the "hairigami" thing.

A true ballet bun lies flat against your dd's scalp in the middle of the back of her head. You will need lots of gel, lots of bobby pins and a hair net. Some studios will allow the hair to be braided first, some will not. When you've made the bun (pinning it well with bobby pins every little bit...you will need A TON to secure the bun to her head and make sure it doesn't fall apart when she dances), cover it with the hair net, then twist the net like you would an elastic band and recover the bun with it...as many times as you can. This is a traditional old lady nair net that you buy at a beauty supply store. They come in a little paper envelope.

Also traditional ballet does not allow for bangs. Those should be gelled back and pinned away from her face if she has them.

Regular bobby pins aren't the best for ballet buns. Bunheads makes great ones!! You can pick them up at a dance shop or order them from Discount Dance.

You might want to prepare your dd ahead of time. If she wants to dance....there will be hair pain involved. Lots of it. My dd learned to do her own hair at ten, because seriously...it's a pain in the butt and the sooner your dd learns to do it herself, the easier it is for you. That goes for sewing pointe shoes as well. :D