Menu

Vet people--My Golden has a hot spot. No vet open. What to do OTC or naturally?

The hot spot is the size of a half-dollar. He had a mat on his thigh (outside) yesterday and was licking. I scissored it away this am and found the spot.

Can't get to the emergency vet (and would rather not pay the extra $50 if we could hold off until Monday, to be honest). What can I put on it now to help?

I don't know what a hot spot is! Would tea tree oil help? I use it on some types of skin irritation.

Wouldn't use tea tree on a pup. Seriously, it's hell if they get it in their eyes...etc... and it's so easy to transfer. (I have used it on myself.... I have got it in my eye... it was horrible... but good for my mouth sore)

trim the hair around the area until you get to unaffected skin. Preferably with a clipper and a # 40 surgical blade but anything is better than nothing.

Ecollar the dog. Seriously he needs to not get to the area until it is healed so ecollar or depending on the location maybe a shirt or shorts.

scrub the site up with some chlorihexiderm solution, hibiclens works fine as well.

If the hot spot is moist then he might need oral antibiotics as well so when the vet does open get an appointment.

So rehash : ecollar or clothing but not a bandage. The clothing needs to be loose as the hot spot needs to breathe. ecollar is normally best to keep him away from it.

get the hair away from wound with a clipper (best option) or scissors but be very careful with scissors as many people (by accident) cut their dogs.

no alcohol on site(ouch!), hibiclens or even once the hair is off just some clean water and then pat it dry, then leave it alone.

oral antibiotics if the hot spot was moist.

:grouphug:

From WebMD, about dogs:

"A hot spot is a warm, painful, swollen patch of skin 1 to 4 inches (2.5 to 10 cm) across that exudes pus and gives off a foul odor. Hair in the area is lost rapidly. The infection progresses when the dog licks and chews the site. These circular patches appear suddenly and enlarge quickly, often within a matter of hours."

We had Golden Retrievers, and they would get these sometimes.

Hot spots are moist, raw areas on the dog (or cat, or other animal). They look like hairless, red, circular patches, starting small (maybe, dime sized) and growing incredibly fast--like they can get the size of your hand over the course of a couple of days if the dog worries it (licks, etc). They itch and hurt, and are very tender.

Poor Riley. He has another one on the opposite leg, we just discovered. Off to get some meds. I'll see what Petsmart carries. Thanks, everyone.

Trim the hair around the spot...cheap mens bear clippers will work. you want the air to get to it. Then clean it (hibicleanse would be optimal, but peroxide will work, or any OTC wound cleaner...NOT alcohol!), and put some neosporin on it.

to help with the itching that caused it in the first place give the dog benedryl, at about 1mg per pound. For most Goldens that will be between 50mg and 75mg, or 2-3 tablets. Give 2-3 times a day for a few days, then as needed.

From WebMD, about dogs:

"A hot spot is a warm, painful, swollen patch of skin 1 to 4 inches (2.5 to 10 cm) across that exudes pus and gives off a foul odor. Hair in the area is lost rapidly. The infection progresses when the dog licks and chews the site. These circular patches appear suddenly and enlarge quickly, often within a matter of hours."

We had Golden Retrievers, and they would get these sometimes.

Hot spots are moist, raw areas on the dog (or cat, or other animal). They look like hairless, red, circular patches, starting small (maybe, dime sized) and growing incredibly fast--like they can get the size of your hand over the course of a couple of days if the dog worries it (licks, etc). They itch and hurt, and are very tender.

Poor Riley. He has another one on the opposite leg, we just discovered. Off to get some meds. I'll see what Petsmart carries. Thanks, everyone.

I understand now. Thank you.

I trim all the hair off and around the spot and spray with an anti-itch and lanocaine spray. The if possible I wrap the area with cotton so that he can't get to the area. It is important to keep the area dry. I also give Benedryl. I usually give 50 mg. for my 100 lb. Golden but the vet says I can give 1 mg per lb. If it gets worse then you need to take him to a vet and get a shot for pain, an anti-inflammatory and some steriods.