Menu

Why my kid will never have a FB, Tweeter type accounts

A. there seems to be some discrepancy about the source of the tweet. is the 230am time correct? is the IP address correct? just like your employer can track your internet usage, so can your school, if you're using the school equipment.

**your employer may also be able to read your emails and IMs from corporate sources - so mail from ME@MYEMPLOYER.COM is legally readable. However, mail that I send during company time thru another email portal, like ME@GMAIL.COM isn't because of an assumption of privacy - this came up in an NPR story recently**

B. I completely understand the basic concept of a school being able to track tweets, especially if you have a public twitter account. it can be an excellent tool for tracking bullying or vandalism, etc. Because teens aren't always smart enough to know that tweeting "Super fantastic evening TPing My Local High School with my buds tonight!" is a bad idea.

I see it the other way- this is why my children don't go to school with overreaching principals. I recall swearing as a teen at home. It did not, nor should it have, resulted in suspension. A student's use of a swear word on their social media should not result in school discipline unless it was part of bullying or similar.

I do think that in the hands of teens, social media can get used in ways that can come back to reflect badly on them.

My kids are too young for social media but once they are old enough, I won't be opposed to them using (whatever kids are using instead of FB in x number of years). They have their place and purpose.

ETA: I think I have sworn (playfully) in one of MY tweets. I get work in part from the contacts I maintain on twitter, use twitter a fair bit and am disinclined to decry social media, even for teens because I think there are many good things that have come from online social networking.

Edited by kijipt

I see it the other way- this is why my children don't go to school with overreaching principals. I recall swearing as a teen at home. It did not, nor should it have, resulted in suspension. A student's use of a swear word on their social media should not result in school discipline unless it was part of bullying or similar.

I do think that in the hands of teens, social media can get used in ways that can come back to reflect badly on them.

My kids are too young for social media but once they are old enough, I won't be opposed to them using (whatever kids are using instead of FB in x number of years). They have their place and purpose.

This absolutely.

:iagree:However, I will probably place strict limits on social media usage and might not allow it until dd(I don't have a son at this point but if I do in the future the same will apply to him) is old enough to understand potential consequences.

I think FB is bascially asking for trouble. There are too many ways for the wrong people to find out the wrong things. Too many people/organizations getting into other people's personal business. Schools, jobs whatever.

My friend does electronic discovery. It's scary what they can pull out that we think of as "private".

If indeed this was sent on his own time (which it appears it was), it is really not the school's business if he says a curse word. He probably just posted all that because they took away his lunch and substituted it with cafeteria garbage. :tongue_smilie:

If indeed this was sent on his own time (which it appears it was), it is really not the school's business if he says a curse word. He probably just posted all that because they took away his lunch and substituted it with cafeteria garbage. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

I've already instructed my son to NEVER answer any inquires from a school official or a police officer regarding his use of the internet/social media without ME present.

This is one of the reasons that I have a major problem with our school system's initiative to require students to bring their own personal electronic devices to school to hook up to the school's system to do school work. My children will not be doing this. If the school wants them to use electronics they will have to provide ones for this purpose. My children's personal electronics will remain their own signed on to our own private secure network.

The school should stay out of these matters off school grounds, but parents were obviously not keeping tabs on him. He should have been called to the principal's office and discussed how that comment can be seen by anyone, and it could come back to haunt him in the future. Expelling him solves nothing, and now he can tweet at 2:30, because he will not be attending class. It will not be long before he is working, and employers do keep tabs on public information. All the kid needs to do is make that private. I know several people who have lost jobs due to social media stuff, so at least this child has a chance to fix it while he is young and has little to lose.

My child's private school has a computer teacher, and one of her tasks is to keep an eye on the students' social media use. She's FB friends with many of the students (who love her), and she doesn't really get involved -- though I'm sure she would step in if there were a serious bullying situation at any point. She talked to the parents at the beginning of the year about the dangers of under 13-year-olds being on FB (though many of the students already were on there) and especially the dangers of posting personal information. She is very well aware of who is posting what because she sees the students' posts every day. She's a silent, friendly presence, and no one objects to her at all.

My child's private school has a computer teacher, and one of her tasks is to keep an eye on the students' social media use. She's FB friends with many of the students (who love her), and she doesn't really get involved -- though I'm sure she would step in if there were a serious bullying situation at any point. She talked to the parents at the beginning of the year about the dangers of under 13-year-olds being on FB (though many of the students already were on there) and especially the dangers of posting personal information. She is very well aware of who is posting what because she sees the students' posts every day. She's a silent, friendly presence, and no one objects to her at all.

Obviously, you have no problem with this policy, but I disagree with it being ok for teachers to friend students (or vice versa). As a parent, I find it creepy that a teacher would want to monitor my child's computer habits. In fact, our local ps has a policy in place that prohibits teachers from friending students. There are official FB groups for the school and different departments, though.

Obviously, you have no problem with this policy, but I disagree with it being ok for teachers to friend students (or vice versa). As a parent, I find it creepy that a teacher would want to monitor my child's computer habits. In fact, our local ps has a policy in place that prohibits teachers from friending students. There are official FB groups for the school and different departments, though.

Yes, and what child honestly feels free to NOT accept this friend request?

I am not opposed to students friending teachers, as long as the student asked first and not the other way around. I do have a problem with teachers friending students simply to monitor their social media use, especially if it is required. It's a bit too much authority, imo. My child is monitored by ME while at home. No school intervention necessary, thank you very much.

The school is a small one, and there are friendly relationships all around. It's not a creepy situation at all, and certainly not a heavy-handed one. I think the students actually enjoy friending the teachers at the school and the parents of their schoolmates. Sorry you're assuming the worst.

As I said, it's a policy of the school that it's not allowed, so there's no pressure either way.

The school is a small one, and there are friendly relationships all around. It's not a creepy situation at all, and certainly not a heavy-handed one. I think the students actually enjoy friending the teachers at the school and the parents of their schoolmates. Sorry you're assuming the worst.

I simply disagree with teachers friending students for the purpose of monitoring them. I find it overstepping their boundaries. I'm not comfortable with it as a parent. I'm not sure what you mean by assuming the worst? :confused:

Seems to be that maybe he was able to change the time but not the IP address and did it from school? Who knows. If the school can't prove it came from their computer then they have no right. If it did, well then it sounds like this kid is a bit of a problem to begin with and needs to boot.

I simply disagree with teachers friending students for the purpose of monitoring them. I find it overstepping their boundaries. I'm not comfortable with it as a parent. I'm not sure what you mean by assuming the worst? :confused:

:iagree: As a parent, I would be mighty uncomfortable with the school personnel being so involved in my child's private life.

As an education major, I had more than one instructor emphatically state repeatedly to never, ever friend a student on FB. It can put suspicion onto the teacher and result in legal consequences.

This happened to me in college. The director of the program I was in sent a friend request (to be clear, she friended everyone in the program who was on FB, so it couldn't be interpreted as anything personal). I ignored the first one, but when she requested again, I didn't feel free to not accept it.

In regards to the original article, I don't understand the "Still, the school reportedly maintained that the tweets were adorned with its IP address" part. While I'm sure twitter itself records the IP address, as far as I can tell the IP address isn't visible to the general public. Is there something I'm missing?

As I said, it's a policy of the school that it's not allowed, so there's no pressure either way.

That was toward Rebecca, who said the computer teacher at her school friends the kids. I don't think many kids would feel comfortable declining a teacher's friend request, so I don't think it's fair to even ask.

This is from an article on MSNBC:

Surely then Carroll isn't the only kid to post something "inappropriate" on a school-issued computer. That's the opinion of Carroll's mom, who told the Journal Gazette she believes her son is being targeted for previous run-ins with school officials over noxious tweets.

It appears the computer was school-issued. It also appears that this was not a first offense.

I would not permit a teacher to "friend" my child.

This is from an article on MSNBC:

Surely then Carroll isn't the only kid to post something "inappropriate" on a school-issued computer. That's the opinion of Carroll's mom, who told the Journal Gazette she believes her son is being targeted for previous run-ins with school officials over noxious tweets.

It appears the computer was school-issued. It also appears that this was not a first offense.

I don't think the school has the ability to restrict someone's speech just because the computer was issued by them.

Good heavens, you ladies are making assumptions about things I didn't say. The teachers do not force anyone to friend them. They are just there, and the students enjoy friending them. Not every teacher is on FB. The computer teacher watches over the whole social situation to make sure no one gets out of hand, but I doubt it takes up any of her time or is any trouble at all. The kids treat each other well, so I doubt she ever has to say anything to anyone. Again, **She does not make anyone friend her. Not everyone does, but most people do, because they like her.**

Please forget I ever said anything. You've taken something that works nicely in my daughter's school and turned it into something unpleasant. I'm sorry I ever mentioned it.

Good heavens, you ladies are making assumptions about things I didn't say. The teachers do not force anyone to friend them. They are just there, and the students enjoy friending them. Not every teacher is on FB. The computer teacher watches over the whole social situation to make sure no one gets out of hand, but I doubt it takes up any of her time or is any trouble at all. The kids treat each other well, so I doubt she ever has to say anything to anyone. Again, **She does not make anyone friend her. Not everyone does, but most people do, because they like her.**

Please forget I ever said anything. You've taken something that works nicely in my daughter's school and turned it into something unpleasant. I'm sorry I ever mentioned it.

I just made a statement, it isn't a big deal. :)

As an adult I have many many past instructors as friends on my facebook, but I wouldn't be ok with my child friending an adult that I didn't know well. But, many of those instructors I am friends with do have students as friends because I see them interact, obviously people have very different feelings on the issue, my eldest is eleven anyways. She is not old enough for facebook. Also, my child is homeschooled and does not have teachers so it is moot.

Edited by Sis

Yes, it is offensive, yes he has apparently done it before. But I honestly can't believe he was expelled for that.

We live in Aus, and before we purchased this house, in our previous one, I had to keep the kids inside most of the day. There was a PRIVATE CATHOLIC school directly opposite us (K-12, its oval backed onto our laneway). The reason I couldn't take my kids into the yard? Well it makes that guys swear & ribald tweets looks extremely tame. The stuff I heard coming out of 3rd & 10th graders mouth have to be "heard" to be believed. And there school obviously didn't care even a tiny bit about it. Why would you put lots of money towards your childs education just to get them to sound like a bawdy back alley? Ridiculous that this guy got expelled, but these children are basically encouraged.

If he accessed the tweet page on the school computer I can understand though (not wrote, but accessed), the school probably has net nanny or something to pick up swearing on any pages the computer accesses, if he didn't access his twitter at school after writing that tweet, then I do think its 100% wrong, but its a sadly true fact. A lot of companies/schools etc watch peoples blogs, hence the case a while back of those two teachers getting fired for what was in their private blogs.

I don't think the school has the ability to restrict someone's speech just because the computer was issued by them.

That depends on what the agreement (usually signed by both student and parent) states. Many schools prohibit school laptops being used for anything other than educational purposes. He was warned before. I'm not saying I necessarily agree with his expulsion, but I am certain we do not have the full story.